• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sniper loadout ?'s

titus7

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2008
Ridgecrest, California
Guys, I am hoping to take an spr/dmr and precision classes next year. Both classes have requirements for certain gear. One of the requirements in which I'm having the hardest time deciding on is, I have to be able to carry everything on my person gear/ammo etc. I would really appreciate some input from you guys, who have actually worn it, been there, and done that. No I have never been mil or le and when I go to the range I just carry my gun case and ammo cans. As far as I know we will be moving and shooting from various positions. I was thinking a backpack and either a plate carrier/vest or something like the crye blast belt with the backpack. Lying prone im not to sure if a carrier/vest would be the best option.

Your input and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Re: Sniper loadout ?'s

Usually just a 3 day pack will suffice, Camelbak makes several good ones, believe they are put together by Eagle for them, plus they come with a hydration bladder which is nice.

I started out with an Eagle H-harness that another hide member graciously gave to me. I added on what I thought were the necessary pouches. Obviously ammo will be req'd, so threw on a few AI mag pouches. I have a pouch made for linked 7.62 ammo that holds my data card, mildot master, and the LRF. Water is a must so I have a Hydrastorm on the back with dump pouch below it for ditching crap. On my right side is a safariland that holds my secondary for comps that require one, and so the pistol mags are on the left side of the belt...

So this system works out ok, but I noticed the rifle sling gets hung up on shit as I'm running. I actually have had best results simply running an empty Eberlestock, and just adding all the aforementioned pouches to the outside of the pack. The pack even caries water and doubles as shooting support.

Check out TYR tactical for Harnesses, full Sniper rigs.
Elberlestock makes good gun and kit bag that can load out all your required kit, and they make rifle sleeves so you can bag out the gun as well.

"Lying prone im not to sure if a carrier/vest would be the best option. "

I used to have 3 double mag pouches for AR mags right in front. Never even noticed them on whatever I was laying prone on. Didn't affect my shooting. It will raise your torso about 2 inches higher (less if the ground is soft enough to sink in). If that's a problem then just get a vest where you can put things to the side enough to not get in the way of your front. If you only have the one long gun to carry, then standard ALICE rucksacks work great. Wide mouth at the top and I found everything very easily accessible. If you have to run a lot, a backpack alone might be the best thing since it sucks running with a plate carrier or other vest and a pack. Straps don't work exactly right either and you can't use the hip belt effectively to disperse the weight of your pack to your hips. If you're not doing any short range work with a carbine and/or pistol I would try and make due with just a pack. Less is more.
If you want more clarification, let me know what weapons you are using for the course and a basic rundown of the training events and I can give you an idea of what would work or at least point you in the right direction.

edit: a copy of the gear requirements would help too.

Ok guys here is the gear requirements:

Front and Rear Rifle supports. (Bipods and a bean-bag)
Rifle Cheek Piece (If the weapon's stock is not adjustable)
Rifle Cleaning Equipment
Rifle Sling
Minimum of 6x Magazines
Load carrying equipment to carry magazines and other kit on your body.
Weapon Data Book (Provided)
Pen/Pencil and a Notebook
Eye and Ear Protection
Sturdy footwear
Clothing appropriate for the weather conditions. (We will shoot rain, shine, sleet or snow. Please be prepared and check the weather.)
Baseball or Boonie Style Hat
Water Hydrating Device
A pack that is suitable for carrying all of your range gear.
Range Chair (All classroom instruction will be under field conditions.)
Spotting Scope and Tripod (Recommended but not required for attendance)
Binoculars (Recommended but not required for attendance)
Shooting Mat (Recommended but not required for attendance)
Laser Rangefinder (Recommended but not required for attendance)
Personal Ballistic Computer/PDA (Recommended but not required for attendance)
Or your weapon/ammo ballistic data
Personal Weather Station (Kestrel) (Recommended but not required for attendance)

Going to Shot in Jan and am hoping to have a list together of things to check out/get my hands on. After doing some more reading and still doing more I am leaning back towards a plate carrier.

More info and opinions from you guys is appreciated. Any pics would be great too.

Dont forget some duct tape for any emergencies!!!

A larger discussion is what is first line, second line, etc. If you have BDUs on you already have an ability to carry stuff. You need to break down what items are “mission” essential, which items are “really” useful, and which items are fluff. The online training has a lesson specific to this. Have taken a few of these classes and you quickly find that “ounces become pounds and pounds become pain”. Try a high angle class with all that crap and you will get my point.

Well at work we have a sign outside of the main entrance that reads "Dont have a closed mind towards new opportunities, thoughts, or ideas while on our property", and this is how I try to remain throughout life and on the forum here. So that is why Im was asking the question to get knowledge/input from you guys who have the experience. I will be wearing bdu's. I would like to find and purchase things that I will be able to use in other classes and just for training/shooting in general.

Like you said Chiller, "you quickly find that “ounces become pounds and pounds become pain”. I guess that for each person this would be different, depending on what you wanted vs what you find you actually need.

I appreciate all of the replies and input, the more the better. I am still searching and reading and I will buy the online training program as well, been planning that for awhile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont forget some duct tape for any emergencies!!!
</div></div>

I thought the technical term for that was 100mph tape?! Let's be politically correct here if we are talking "sniper loadouts".
wink.gif

all that stuff can be stored in a prison purse, minus the "baseball or boonie hat" that needs to be hanging on your weener "the cowboy way" style.

insert all gear minus the boonie baseball cap and folding chair into yee ole prison purse, then shoe goo your chair to your ass. BAM locked, cocked and ready to rock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PSYOPS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for the Gunslinger II </div></div>
Second this suggestion. The Eberlestock Gunslinger II should work very well for these applications & the gear you'd like to run. If you have specific questions regarding features, etc., just ask.

Best of luck to you.
Ceylon
deltaoutdoorsman.com

If load carrying equipment other than a pack is required then I would suggest an LBV like the one pictured below.

IMG_0026.jpg

They are light and don't get in the way of a pack as much and while shooting can be uncliped/unzipped to get pouches on the front out from in between your body and the ground. If you are planning on using a plate carrier for something after this class (contracting, etc.) then I would use that to get used to it. It also provides an extra layer to keep your torso warmer. Mags would definitely be stored in my vest if I used one. If you don't need a vest and aren't required to wear one then I would just stick with a pack. Another idea is to just use a molle belt to store a couple pouches (mag, accessory (saw pouches work great for all purpose pouches)) on for quick access to certain items that are too inconvenient to store in BDU pockets.

mollebelt.jpg

If you have to transport your rifle hands free the gunslinger II can't be beat. If transporting a rifle is not an issue, again, the old ALICE rucksacks work great and I find them slightly easier to get stuff out of with the extra wide opening at the top. Not to mention they carry a lot more than the gunslingers can (also meaning they can be easily overpacked). And just to note you can carry a rifle horizontally with the ALICE pack but it is awkward (top heavy, makes you wide, unbalanced).

OP - The best (and cheapest) thing to do is attend the class with whatever ruck / backpack / satchel you currently have. While you are there - watch, ask, and learn. I think it is a rare person to be so dialed (or close minded) as to attend a class and not re-tune some aspect of your kit.

Thus I'd bet money that if you bought something now, you'd go to that class and realize you wanted something else. Then you'd spend several years shooting in a field environment (and not the range) and come to find out that you want something all together different based on exactly what you do and what you need.

I have been through drag bags that could be carried like a ruck, '3 day rucks', and have settled on a Kifaru Scout with an Omni belt two canteens and a compass on the belt, 2 quart pocket on top for first aid, a back pouch for extra capacity and a grab it. For me and what I need - it works well.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^^^they got hand warmers in there too? </div></div>

Yeah, pockets don't exist in the Marine Corps.

Go with the Eberlestock pack. I recently took my Eberlestock Phantom to a precision rifle class and it worked out well. I was able to carry my water, food, ammo, rear bag, range finder, snivel gear (you're going to need layers), data book, Kestrel, spotting scope, and rifle in the pack. I also used the pack as a rest to shoot off of in real world firing positions (rocks and steep terrain). A plate carrier won't do you much good.

The one thing you don't want to do is carry a bunch of stuff to class that you will not carry 20 miles in the woods/city.

Minimal gear is a good thing, bringing the kitchen sink to class is not training how you will fight and I imagine after 20 miles of humping excess gear you will not likely fight the way you trained with it.

If you are a 18-25yr old stud, carry all you want. If you are 40+ you need to check in with reality.

I've always fought with what I really need to use and with what I really like to carry..... and how to carry all the items.
Some times I want to have every single item available to use sometimes I prefer to have all the item packed in a ruck.
I've always tried my set up with a long trecking trip, often in a mountain area with heavy climb.. ( I prefer step climb then step descend )... I've done 25/40 km in one day with 30/40 kg and I totally agree with Chiller “ounces become pounds and pounds become pain”.
But everytime as soon as I forgot the pain .... I'll do the same thing....so carry a lot of things not because I really need them but because I want to think.... may be this time I can use them..

I would like to be more selective when I must to choose the stuff for example during a sniper competition.. my large log book from impact data books with the cover and a lot of page weigh about 900 grams...... I've done this year a sniper match in Swiss...... the only pages I've used was a range card page, next time I'll take with me only this page..

Often we reach our shooting place with a land but my stuff is packed always in the same manner,mental oriented to walk with it...

I've prepared and used a lot of set up ( later I'll post some pictures ) this is my choice

I want to have hands free and I want to carry a lot of weight

Mystery ranch gun bay with Mystery ranch hitchhiker and other pocket mixed from endom USA, Kifaru, Mystery ranch.

DSCN4627.jpg

DSCN4626.jpg

DSCN4625.jpg

DSCN4617.jpg

for a sniper match or a one day at shooting range a TYR Tactical COMA system is the best vest, you can carry a lot of stuff.
there for example I have 150 .308 ammo and 50 amo.45ACP with a ghillie on the back, plus PDA, range finder, tripod, spotting scope, log book, ecc ecc

PC230005.jpg

PC230004.jpg

PC230003.jpg

or if I want to use a 3 day my choice is the 3 days BVS from Mystery ranch, with some pockets on left and right hand side

PC230006.jpg

some pictures of the TYR Tactical COMA vest, in the pockets, PLRF 10C with cable, kestrel 4500 NV BT, Nomad pda with FFS version V,ballistic back up table, notes rite in the rain with pen, 150 ammo .308, Leupold Mark IV spotting scope, medikit, 1 bottle for water/tea ( 750 cc ) Sprinfield armory .45 ACP with 4 magazines and 50 ammo, Triad tactical bean bag, Impact data log book, PRS tripod works for rifle, spotting and laser range finder, paracord, otis cleaning kit, borka tool, field maintanance kit, momocam with digital camera, sordin, spare battery for everything, Vortex solo monocular, ghillie in a net pack from TYR Tactical,( instead of ghillie you can load other stuff ) gerber multi tool, cammenga compass.

The vest is wonderful all the weight is well balanced, this is my set up for a tactical match.

PC240009.jpg

PC240008.jpg

PC240007.jpg

PC240006.jpg

Davide and PP have the nicest, cleanest-configuration gear setups I've ever seen.

Jealous.
smile.gif

Agreed. But Davide has an Airbus to help him haul it around.
laugh.gif

OP, don't forget the Chapstick.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: davide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mystery ranch gun bay with Mystery ranch hitchhiker and other pocket mixed from endom USA, Kifaru, Mystery ranch.

DSCN4627.jpg

DSCN4626.jpg

DSCN4625.jpg

DSCN4617.jpg

for a sniper match or a one day at shooting range a TYR Tactical COMA system is the best vest, you can carry a lot of stuff.
there for example I have 150 .308 ammo and 50 amo.45ACP with a ghillie on the back, plus PDA, range finder, tripod, spotting scope, log book, ecc ecc

PC230005.jpg

PC230004.jpg

PC230003.jpg

or if I want to use a 3 day my choice is the 3 days BVS from Mystery ranch, with some pockets on left and right hand side

PC230006.jpg

</div></div>

I actually really like that setup, is Tyr Tactical a good company? But like I said I would like to buy once cry once if that is even possible with buying stuff like this.

Thanks Again for all the input guys keep it coming and any pics are great too.

Yes TYR Tactical is a good company, easy to deal with them and very good products.

I suggest TYR Tactical if you need a vest, Mistery Ranch for the other thingh, the nice gun bay is the best way to carry a rifle.

Standard GI Issue ALICE Pack. It's inexpensive, will carry all the equipment you need, will get you throught the class.
You said in your post that you're not Mil. or LEO, so beyond this class will you really need any specialized gear? If not use that dough on more ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Davide and PP have the nicest, cleanest-configuration gear setups I've ever seen.

Jealous.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Sinister ,

thank you brother !

See you in 3 weeks @ SHOT ,

PP out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TXHutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Standard GI Issue ALICE Pack. It's inexpensive, will carry all the equipment you need, will get you throught the class.
You said in your post that you're not Mil. or LEO, so beyond this class will you really need any specialized gear? If not use that dough on more ammo. </div></div>

ALICE is a more inexpensive way to carry your gear , that's true , but that's just like to compare a sub-compact car to a Bentley , both of them are cars but with a quite different way of travelling comfort , is not that ?

Davide & me are no more in the military , we are old guys
shocked.gif
and we do not know if & when we'll need our stuff but we like to be well prepared , even talking about ammo .

PP out

True I'm not mil/le but I would like to have whatever I need for any other classes I plan on taking. Along with using whatever i buy for other stuff camping, hunting, hiking, etc.

What back panel are you running on your COMA? I have a nearly identical rig but no back panel. I would like something large enough to carry rain gear or a Spotter.

I'm running the COMA back panel,

http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/details/coma-system-accessories/coma-back-panel/

and on the panel I've attached 2 large pouch

http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/details/general-purpose/large-general-purpose-pouch/

and other small pouches for cleaning kit ecc ecc..

inside one of the 2 large pocket I carry easily the Leupold Marck IV spotting scope

on the bottom of the COMA panel I've put this pouch

http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/list/general-purpose/tactical-pouches/

to carry rain gear you can pack them over this pouch ( I've put a ghillie on my pictures ) and secure with 2 of this from Mystery Ranch http://www.mysteryranch.com/military/military-pack-accessories/autolock-accessory-strap-36