• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sniper Magazine

Re: Sniper Magazine

Not trying to be a d**k, but some of the community's "tribal knowledge" not need to be shared openly. Do you take any steps to ensure that some of the information remains useful but generic?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunslinger2111</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmithE-6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess it will be the same as all weapons mags, this rifle is good for this, that, does this, that, but a steep price. Never telling us any of the downfalls of the rifle. Like motercycle/ car mags. never tell you the bad crap with the bike/ car just the good crap. For once I would like to see a magizine take the reviewing rifles and fire them with complete honesty, and then grab a couple everyday joes and vs them against other similar/ comparable weapon systems based on their reviews. Please have a walmart special or two thrown in that review aswell.

That is the article I want. </div></div>

Hey SmithE-6,
You should give the Sniper mag a chance. I'm the editor for it and purposefully took your stated approach when making the assignments. I tried to keep non-anklets from contributing to it and hope the next time around, to have the book entirely written by certifiable snipers. It's as much of a magazine that teaches new technical thoughts on long range shooting than a rag that just sucks up to advertisers/manufacturers. Jacob Bynum reviewed the Sniper mag at a recent Sniper Country event in Utah, and I think that he'll be added to the contributors list next time. He seemed pleased. Inside this issue you'll see more detail on the XM2010, a good piece by Caylen Wojcik on unusual shooting positions and a number of Todd Hodnett articles. 128 pages, very few ads, and more unbiased content than you'll see in another gun magazine. I did my best to give the reader a chock full magazine for your $9. I can't control the price, but I can give you a lot more for what you pay for. Ideas for articles in my magazines come right from guys like you and are not driven by advertisers. Just asking for a chance to change the face of gun magazines.

Best,
Eric

Eric R. Poole, Editor
Special Interest Publications
InterMedia Outdoors </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunslinger2111</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you mind telling me what could have been done to set it apart from the "standard fare gun rags"?... I'm sincerely interested in specific suggestions/changes if I get another chance to do a second issue.</div></div>I haven't seen the magazine, but I appreciate your efforts. How is the quality of the writing itself? </div></div>

I was actually quite surprised of the quality of articles turned in by the contributors to this issue. As an editor, I see all sorts of writing issues. My biggest surprise was how interesting and unassuming Caylen Wojcik was and how little clean-up there was to his original submission. For a Marine that's never written before, I was really impressed. I look forward to working with his contributions more. I was also particularly impressed with Jeff Hoffman and Todd Hodnett. Jeff, who could have guessed that the CEO of an ammo company could pen such informational articles?

Best,
Eric

Hey 11B101ABN,

The "tribal knowledge" is a great point, and the short answer is yes. It was certainly a fine line that was discussed with each contributor and a few military advisors/mentors prior to the proposal. We tried to be sure that the information was obtainable through an open enrollment-type course, or through the a specific product development manufacturer. Much of the information about contracts (like the XM2010 and MSR info) was checked against what was approved by the manufacturer and DoS/DoD for release for public consumption (even though this type of information can be hard to find and it's often released in pieces). I actually read one of my articles over the phone word-for-word to a Army officer tied to a rifle program I was reviewing for accuracy and approval. I want to be able to go to these sources again in the future for other assignments, so it's in my best interest not to cross these lines.

To add color to information, writers pulled on their own experiences for opinions and testing/evaluation. I spent days calling and calling people to fact check stuff ever writer wrote and seek advice on whether it was appropriate for release. Each of the product articles were reviewed and edited by officials for intelligence sensitivity. I pray that we did all we could and while achieving the goal—offering readers like yourself a thoughtful product that you could still respect.

Thanks for keeping us in check sir. Feel free to PM me if you think something was released in this issue that shouldn't have been.

Best,
Eric

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B101ABN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Not trying to be a d**k, but some of the community's "tribal knowledge" not need to be shared openly. Do you take any steps to ensure that some of the information remains useful but generic?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunslinger2111</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmithE-6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess it will be the same as all weapons mags, this rifle is good for this, that, does this, that, but a steep price. Never telling us any of the downfalls of the rifle. Like motercycle/ car mags. never tell you the bad crap with the bike/ car just the good crap. For once I would like to see a magizine take the reviewing rifles and fire them with complete honesty, and then grab a couple everyday joes and vs them against other similar/ comparable weapon systems based on their reviews. Please have a walmart special or two thrown in that review aswell.

Hey SmithE-6,
You should give the Sniper mag a chance. I'm the editor for it and purposefully took your stated approach when making the assignments. I tried to keep non-anklets from contributing to it and hope the next time around, to have the book entirely written by certifiable snipers. It's as much of a magazine that teaches new technical thoughts on long range shooting than a rag that just sucks up to advertisers/manufacturers. Jacob Bynum reviewed the Sniper mag at a recent Sniper Country event in Utah, and I think that he'll be added to the contributors list next time. He seemed pleased. Inside this issue you'll see more detail on the XM2010, a good piece by Caylen Wojcik on unusual shooting positions and a number of Todd Hodnett articles. 128 pages, very few ads, and more unbiased content than you'll see in another gun magazine. I did my best to give the reader a chock full magazine for your $9. I can't control the price, but I can give you a lot more for what you pay for. Ideas for articles in my magazines come right from guys like you and are not driven by advertisers. Just asking for a chance to change the face of gun magazines.

Best,
Eric

Eric R. Poole, Editor
InterMedia Outdoors </div></div> </div></div>

Right or wrong—I don't know. Even before I was a writer/editor, I was buying magazines to be sure that our interests were going to remain available and publishing companies didn't axe gun/tactical magazines for lack of profit. I don't want the newsstand to become overrun solely by the likes of chick mags, self-help, Time, and Newsweek. I like the Hide for the open forum, but I don't think like those types of readers and I don't want my baby girl to succumb to secular influence. I know the economy is tough and most mags seem to have sold out to serving ONLY the advertiser (and overlook the reader's interests). Therefore, I've been on my own crusade to turn this industry around, have my products serve as a medium for your interests (rather than my own), and give shooters a reason to keep this information available for the next generation. My greatest fear is that one day information about shooting will be shut down for public consumption, and the general population will just stand by and let it happen for the sake of "public safety."

Best,
Eric

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: super-tac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I flipped through this on the stand. The info seems to be alot of what you read on the Hide. </div></div>

Just thought I'd add that Remington was going to be on the cover regardless of whether or not they sponsored "SNIPER" with advertising. At that time, I felt that the XM2010 and MSR was the most "newsworthy" articles to feature and would attract the broadest audience. I'm glad that they ended up supporting our magazine, but I kept the cover a secret (except to a small inner circle). That's how I would love to see everyone do business. Not by sucking up to advertisers, but by showing them what a good product I can put together in such a way that it draws them to want to support my mags (instead of "buying" into them).

Best,
Eric

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bowman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eric, it's awesome that you are actively pursuing feedback. I also think that a $9 price tag is worth not being a slave to the advertisers. Otherwise Remington (arbitrary), would buy your honesty via advertising space and you would feel obligated to write nothing less than a shining review on their next test product.

It kinda sucks to pay $9 an issue but IMO, completely worth it to get objective material. </div></div>

11B101abn,
Was there anything specifically mentioned in the magazine that has caused you some concern? If anyone is troubled by the information presented or feels that we are giving away information that we shouldn't, please let me know. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B101ABN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Hey SmithE-6,

Best,
Eric

Eric R. Poole, Editor
InterMedia Outdoors </div></div> </div></div>

OK I picked it up. More because I would like to support the idea of a viable magazine for our community. Having said that I do have a few bitches.

1. The cover art was shit. It was screaming airsoft kiddie ninja magizine to me right from the start. The cover also said to me, "I will kill you and your children for steping on my property" NOT "I'm a professional guardian of our country, freedom and way of life". I'm not, nor do I claim to be a sniper. I've never been to a formal school in my military or civilian life. I do have friends that have been or are snipers. Mostly Marine Corps and one Army goober. Not one of them looked like what I saw on the cover of the this magazine. If I had not heard of the magazine on the hide I wouldn't have even picked it up because of that cover. Don't put pics like that on the cover. It makes the community look bad. Like the SWAT and Law Enforcement mags do. Guys pointing black guns at the camera and guns with so much shit hanging off it you can't tell if it's a real gun or something from Buck Rogers.

2. The gun reviews are ok but we usually know about the guns before your mag comes out. That makes it redundant info for the reader and becomes boring. Don't get me wrong, keep reviewing equipment. Just don't let it be the main focus of the mag.

Ok....I like the magizine and I'm hard to please when it comes to that stuff. Here's my list of what I would like to see.

1. Stories on operational snipers. What are they doing, what tactics are they using. Anything about them that wouldn't cause opsec concerns. Real life stories.

2. How to's are great. Just make sure it's from a credible source. Joe Blow on marksmanship means I skip the article. Lowlight on marksmanship means I read it. When I see an article in a mag my first thought is who wrote it.

3. Try to make the mag an insider in the community. I hate to use this term but get us the inside scoop on what's going on with that new gizmo or rifle being tested by the MILITARY.....not Jow Blow's Sniper School and Counter Sniper Scope Training classes. What is Quantico doing? What is the MTU doing? How about a little info on Seal Snipers? We don't hear from them much but they make big headlines.

4. Get some real snipers to write articles on fieldcraft and techniques. By real snipers I mean trained military snipers. I'm sure there are some here willing to do it.

5. I think this is might be to much but if the mag looked, felt and read like a trade publication instead of an enthusiast magazine it would be better received.

6. Cover some competitions like the SH cup. There are enough guys here to keep a magazine going if it becomes well vested in the community.

7. Don't let the big companies dominate the magazine. Remmington makes guns but it takes companies like GAP, SAC and many others to make them really perform. I don't care what some guy at remmy has to say but when George Gardner speaks I listen. How about some articles about them. Pics of the shops and interviews with the guys that make the guns we shoot.

8. Don't put pics of people that look like cooky right wing nut jobs in the content. Like in the book Ultimate Sniper. Look in that book and you'll know what I'm talking about. Real snipers just don't look like that. The pic of the guy shooting a stainless rifle with a name tag that reads "SNIPER" just maks me want to puke. If you didn't go to a formal school and it wasn't you're profession you're not a real sniper in my mind. You're an enthusiast like me and that's ok. Just don't call yourself a sniper. Call yourself what you are...a shooter...like me...one that prays never to have to place that recticle on a human.

9. Make sure the law enforcement sniper community is included. They have the toughest job in my mind. Short distance, whites of the eyes kind of thing. Having to possibily drop an American who simply forgot to take his meds. The thought of it horrifies me. Make sure they have a section to help them discuss their unique needs.

Just my opinions. My list could go on an on. Also include some subscription info. Based on the first issue I would subscribe. Just please don't let this turn into a SWAT and Law Enforcement Weapons type magazine.

Ever thought of going digital? That would lower the price and gain a larger audience while lowering costs so that it's more affordable.

I didnt't read threw any post other than the OP..I am sure you snipers may be picking it apart...?

I shoot alot of LR and keep up with the jone's...I realy like this mag..

welcome to the hide...Odd first post,But its a start I guess
wink.gif
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: medanum6298</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm new in here, Hope to enjoy this forum. </div></div>

I read through it over the last couple days at work, great magazine. I would like to see some 'How-to' articles and keep it beginner, novice, and advanced reader articles. Not all of us are 'harder-then-wood-pecker-lips trigger pullers'. So it was nice to see articles geared towards guys like me that are just getting into this. Not saying it needs to be geared towards multi-cam clad mall ninjas but it is nice to see articles for guys new to LR shooting. Besides, it appeals to a larger group of people that way. Great magazine, worth the $8.99. I don't know about every one else of here but 9 bucks is only a few rounds of ammo. I don't know why other people say it's too expensive, 9 bucks in gas gets me 3/4 of the way to the range. Any ways, I liked it. I'm looking forward to next month's issue. Thanks for the good read.

I picked up a copy at a local bookstore. The distribution network seems to be well established, I am a little surprised by that. I have to give you credit for that.

All in all, I enjoyed it, but do have a few criticisms.

You need to figure out who this is marketed towards. Some articles I felt like I was reading about the new "Call of Duty" game and some I felt like I was reading things that are way over a lot of shooters heads. A lot of the things we know and take for granted are going to be lost on a less than seasoned reader.

You need to have a contributors bio section...who are these guys, should I trust them, do they know what they are talking about and where did they learn it.

A lot of articles refered to the PSR, why not have a section that outlines all the requirements and specs, even some history all in one convenient spot. A lot of the info was in the mag, but scattered.

The Modern Reticles piece was a mess...sorry Todd. It was either not enough or to much info. I guarantee you that you lost reader attention. You needed to have a basis of what milling is and why it works, not just a formula and examples of what you can do with a reticle. It was also rather incomplete, a lot of popular options were missing. My biggest issue is that it was an article about reticles that you could not see the reticles...bigger pictures with subtention measurements please.

I did like that the magazine was mixed with military and police doctrines. All to often people only think the military uses Snipers even though a Police Sniper arguably has a tougher job.

All the gun reviews were rather stale in that they followed the old standard...what it is, what it does and why its great. How about telling readers what you DIDN'T like about a weapon system? The only exception was the Horus scope and well...duh.

If this continues...and I genuinely hope it does...I would like to see:

A training facility/course featured in every issue, make it a monthly column. Rifles Only one month, Gunsite the next, then Bear Creek. Ask readers if they know of any. There are thousands of local and regional training programs that are not known on a national level.

A competition every month. Cover the Cup one month then Tiger Valley the next, similar to the above format.

Congratulations on a great publication and thank you for bringing this to the public. I hope that there is genuine interest in it and it remains a viable option on the shelves. If available, I would subscribe and would even be happy to contribute. I am pulling for you, I have seen a desire and need for this publication for a long time.

I was on a mission to find another magazine and at the first place they had 1 copy, I needed 3. Saw "Sniper" and thought, Never seen that before so had a look and guess what, bought three based on the cover alone...:)

Eric, at this time I find no use for another shooting-related magazine that costs $9 a pop - $54 annual privilege. Considering the amount of information (and of informed people) at this site alone I find the notion ridiculous.

If/when you drop the price to be more in line with other gun magazines - please post here.

P.S. Kasey, I thought you had your hands full - now I discover that you're "on a mission to find another magazine"?!
grin.gif

I think most gun enthusiasts on here and from the military maybe quite knowledgeable on the subject. I have looked at the magazine and have read a couple articles so far, while browsing through the rest. I found it a bit word ridden in an attempt it seems to build excitement for the article or just for wordsyness sake.

I personally would like to see less emphasis of the guns in the sniper magazine, as the gun is the draw of snipers and has been done to death. (Note: I do not think the guns should disappear.)However the areas of the sniper that are often over looked have been mentioned on here already.

Field craft - Land navigation using advanced electronics. Primitive land navigation using environmental sign. Country/regional/state plants, animal and insect eating guide. Primitive fire skills. Tracking and counter tracking. And the list goes on ad nauseum.

Fitness for the sniper.

Pro's and Con's of not just gear reviews but of snipers past and present looking at tactical situations and even training.

Name brand gear, with cheap gear and how to make gear guide.

Just my .02.

I picked up my copy of Sniper magazine today from Barnes & Noble and for a first issue, I think it was well written. I really hope this magazine is a success because I'll be one of the first to sign-up for a 2-3yr subscription.

Looking forward to seeing more issues released!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Eric, at this time I find no use for another shooting-related magazine that costs $9 a pop - $54 annual privilege. Considering the amount of information (and of informed people) at this site alone I find the notion ridiculous.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">If/when you drop the price to be more in line with other gun magazines - please post here.</span>

P.S. Kasey, I thought you had your hands full - now I discover that you're "on a mission to find another magazine"?!
grin.gif

</div></div>

For your information the other magazines such as Tactical Weapons, Tactical Operator, SWAT, and AR15 are all in the neighborhood of $10. If you don't want to purchase the magazine then don't but there's no need to be a rude jackass about it. State your reasons whether they be for or against but being a douche bag is uncalled for.

Yeah, there's a TON of information to be found on this website but I will do what I can to support a member of the shooting community, even if it's purchasing a $10 magazine. You probably blow more than that on cigarettes and/or beer each week.

Gunslinger2111,
I picked one up a couple of days ago, very pleased especially for the knowledge withen. I will not complain bout the price tag as this mag exceeds the cost. Thank you for a great Mag. As with all Mag this one had downfalls aswell but very few.

After reading the magizine I could not help but relize the XM2010 is nothing more than the MSR in a 300win mag. oh wait the MSR is also available in a 300 win mag. This is a perfact example of fraud and wast by the goverment. Why do a 100% complete overhaul on a weapon system when one already exists that is exactly the same. Just updating to the MSR seems like the best and cheepest option.

Did anyone else catch this as well?

I would be curious to know if the 'inaccuracies' in the article starting on pg. 10 are and attempt to protect some of the 'tribal knowledge', ignorance on author's part or just B.S.. I did get a chuckle out of the 30-06 explanation of the Army's M24's long action, first time I ever read that, WOW. I can only guess that the quip about free fall jumps ( I guess writing HALO in a magazine would violate some big secret ). I mean come on, a cased weapon in free fall turning into a single wing and spinning a soldier like a top, then causing the same soldier to not stabilize and die on impact with the ground (what else would he impact). Rest easy guys, the new Remington XM 2010 solves all this by folding to the right to protect the bolt handle thereby allowing 'our Special Operations soldiers' to jump with exposed weapons, hmm, I just wonder how 'they' did it before this side folder came along (not really, I KNOW HOW THEY DID AND STILL DO IT, WITH CASED WEAPONS-THATS HOW!!!!) Sorry, some things just rile me up a bit, I can only hope that this was intentionally put in article in the event that terrorist's ever decide to HALO into CONUS to wreak havoc with uncased rifles and get what they deserve when they reach terra firma. I must admit to shelling out 9 bucks with out looking it over first, last time I will ever make that mistake I can tell you, and if possible I would take it back for a refund. I only wish a publication of this type would stick to the truth and facts, people who don't know better see enough crap and BS about snipers on TV. Think I'll go and throw up now.

seems to be some interest in reading sniper related articles -

so I thought I would post about several upcoming articles

the first one is about the 2010 fall Alleghany sniper challenge match (written by the match winner)

second is an article about the DTA rifles, helping the TV show MYTHBUSTERS , and doing some shooting for them

SniperWorx has been putting out quality, articles for 3.5 years now, six issues a year; I have purposefully geared the publication towards operational snipers/shooters. as such . . .

for example, articles by Tony Gimmellie of Impact Data books, Bill Bracken of Night Force, Mike Haugen with Remington MPD, and many, many others by MIL/LE operators.

I have made it a point to provide solid writing, support the community (hosting americansnipers.org raffles, sponsoring LE/Mil matches), and pushing for peer driven content (interviews with industry like Badger, AI, NightForce, sniper/spotter dialogue, sustainment articles, optic reviews, ).

it's been a long, hard road, and www.sniperworx.com would appreciate your support -

many of you are subscribers, but as a way of introducing those that aren't to the publication, a free issue is downloadable straight from the site;

if you read it and want to subscribe, we are offering two for one subscriptions to Hide members. . . just place a note when you subscribe, for your buddies subscription info, and you both will get an entire year for $40

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmithE-6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess it will be the same as all weapons mags, this rifle is good for this, that, does this, that, but a steep price. Never telling us any of the downfalls of the rifle. Like motercycle/ car mags. never tell you the bad crap with the bike/ car just the good crap. For once I would like to see a magizine take the reviewing rifles and fire them with complete honesty, and then grab a couple everyday joes and vs them against other similar/ comparable weapon systems based on their reviews. Please have a walmart special or two thrown in that review aswell.

I just got the mag and the first article I read in it was talking about how badass the Army's new MK13 is. The 300WM, Lilja barrel, AICS Stage 2 folding stock, NF 3.5-15x, etc. Then they go on to say how stupid it was for the engineers to put a QD suppressor on it and how snipers would either have to carry a super long gun on missions or the other option would be for him mount the suppressor once crawling into position. Only problem with that is that he would have to fire a minimum of 5 shots to seat the quick detach can. They took the can from Knights SR-25 and made it fit the MK13, not cool.

They go on to talk about how nice the NF 3.5-15x is, zero stop with ballistic reticle... Then they talk shit about how hard it is to mil moving targets at 300 meters with the scope on 15x because the engineers decided who needs FFP so you could range/mil at any magnification.

Anyways, I have only read that one article but so far it seems to give their honest opinion on some things, which is rare. Might want to check it out, might not.

I saw another article that explains the horus, mil dot, ballistic and a few other reticle styles. I haven't read it yet but so far it seems like a better than average mag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: banshee sws</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
it's been a long, hard road, and www.sniperworx.com would appreciate your support -

many of you are subscribers, but as a way of introducing those that aren't to the publication, a free issue is downloadable straight from the site;

if you read it and want to subscribe, we are offering two for one subscriptions to Hide members. . . just place a note when you subscribe, for your buddies subscription info, and you both will get an entire year for $40
</div></div>Thanks for the heads up and the link, I will check it out. Probably subscribe and hook a buddy up. Might be cool to have an option where instead of hooking up a buddy, having the second subscription go to a dusty soldier over there (wherever that might be)... Just an idea

hey sir , thanks for the idea - and It doesn't matter who you want the second subscription to go to ;

we have many subscriptions going to deployed Marines, sailors, soldiers, and coasties,

but we transmit the electronic issues via email;and some times the .MIL or .GOV addresses permanently fail due to content , believe it or not, LOL

also the issues are copyright protected and that encryption gets kicked out some times as well ;

best case is gmail.com or yahoo.com etc or download from the link we send

George

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunslinger2111</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Eric

</div></div>Thanks for what so far (to me) has seemed to be a really good start to a new magazine that I want to read. I'm pretty sure it will only get better

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I genuinely appreciate the feedback. Do you mind telling me what could have been done to set it apart from the "standard fare gun rags"? I tried to go above that in this magazine and make it more informative with articles written by credible guys who you don't see whoring themselves out for free test gear. I really wanted this mag to be something actually worth saving. I'm sincerely interested in specific suggestions/changes if I get another chance to do a second issue. Can you tell me about the "scattered facts" you mention? I'm trying to be careful so that a magazine like this doesn't get pushed aside in the society we live in. Otherwise, there will never be a chance for publishers to break away from ad-driven fluffy gun rags in the future. I had instructed those authors to be straight-up about any products and that I wasn't going to push my own theories or some kind of agenda on them.</div></div>

I stand corrected. I actually came back to this thread because I felt bad about my hasty damnation. It isn't warranted.

Now that I've come down from my high-horse and actually read the magazine, I find that it does stand apart from what is typically found in the other rags. I had approached much of this from a military snipers viewpoint which clearly isn't this magazines target market, which is Law Enforcement snipers. This contains many articles fully relevant to them and their plight of marginalization within their departments. In the military it's the same thing for the sniper community being set apart from Big Army/Corps and it must be that much harder on them with smaller departments/budgets/administrations. This magazine is potentially a valuable service for them.

The articles about the equipment wre fairly informative, hitting all the necessary tidbits about features and accuracy. The point at which I truly realized I was wrong and needed to retract my bias was Beckstrand's criticism of the MK13 and the focal plane issue on the Nightforce scope. Not many typically understand the importance of focal plane, let alone find out for an article AND mention it. I also appreciated Poole's criticism of the MSR's suppressor and it's 5-shot seating requirement. These sorts of issues are what need to be made known or manufacturers and bureaucrats will never get the hint.

I was very interested to read about the Leupold CQBSS. I would love to see how it performed on a M-14 variant. In fact, I fully endorse more use and development of M-14 variations for precision work, rather than AR variants which I abhor for their completely irrelevant in-elegance. I find the M-14 topped with a CQBSS may be the harmony many look for in a fast moving, tight grouping urban sniper rifle.

Wojcik's article was great, not because it gave a list of how-to's for some unconventional positions, but because it gave insight into what makes a good shooting position. The tool he offered snipers for their tool-box wasn't positions, it was how to problem solve not being able to shoot traditionally. As we all know, snipers are problem solvers to the Nth degree.

My favorite part was Guthrie's article about Nighthawk Custom. What really set it apart was that it wasn't an equipment review, it was a manufacturing review. I valued the insight he relayed from CEO Gholson and gunsmith Mays. Highlight, "...it is basically the same pile of stuff...our success so far has everything to do with the quality of the components and the quality of the people putting them together."

In hind-sight, I see only two real negative with this magazine and it's future. The first is references to sniper rifles as simply "snipers". It reeks of low-quality, a dumbing-down of terms, whether through ambivalence or laziness. It creates an instant mental-image of an early teen airsofter speaking fondly of his new toy that reaches to nearly 200ft.

The second is whether this is actually a model that can be sustained. Only time will tell for sure, but I imagine many of the current big magazines started this way too, trying to step out from the plethora of regurgitated articles being looped in 1-3 year cycles. Eventually, there won't be any more hidden pearls of precision wisdom. We'll either begin selling out the true OpSec gems in pursuit of more original content, or we'll have to start regurgitating our articles as well, only updated for minor technological advances or personal experiences.

Best scenario, SNIPER can run as a periodical for a time, but then should be packaged into a few encompassing anthologies to be used in tandem with Maj Plaster's Ultimate Sniper manual.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Helidriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to support the idea of a viable magazine for our community. Having said that I do have a few bitches.

1. Stories on operational snipers. What are they doing, what tactics are they using. Anything about them that wouldn't cause opsec concerns. Real life stories.

2. How to's are great. Just make sure it's from a credible source. Joe Blow on marksmanship means I skip the article. Lowlight on marksmanship means I read it. When I see an article in a mag my first thought is who wrote it.

3. Try to make the mag an insider in the community. I hate to use this term but get us the inside scoop on what's going on with that new gizmo or rifle being tested by the MILITARY.....not Jow Blow's Sniper School and Counter Sniper Scope Training classes. What is Quantico doing? What is the MTU doing? How about a little info on Seal Snipers? We don't hear from them much but they make big headlines.

4. Get some real snipers to write articles on fieldcraft and techniques. By real snipers I mean trained military snipers. I'm sure there are some here willing to do it.

7. Don't let the big companies dominate the magazine. Remmington makes guns but it takes companies like GAP, SAC and many others to make them really perform. I don't care what some guy at remmy has to say but when George Gardner speaks I listen. How about some articles about them. Pics of the shops and interviews with the guys that make the guns we shoot.

8. Don't put pics of people that look like cooky right wing nut jobs in the content. Like in the book Ultimate Sniper. Look in that book and you'll know what I'm talking about. Real snipers just don't look like that. The pic of the guy shooting a stainless rifle with a name tag that reads "SNIPER" just maks me want to puke. If you didn't go to a formal school and it wasn't you're profession you're not a real sniper in my mind. You're an enthusiast like me and that's ok. Just don't call yourself a sniper. Call yourself what you are...a shooter...like me...one that prays never to have to place that recticle on a human.
</div></div>

You're asking for a lot of information that shouldn't be put out into the open. If you want to know what operational snipers are doing, join them. Announcing it immediately makes what they are doing ineffective. The "insiders" of the sniper community don't need a magazine. This magazine is their attempt to slip outsiders information. Information they clearly don't know how to process at times, which brings me to my next point...

Author bio's are irrelevant. You should be able to tell from the content of the article that they know what they're talking about or they don't, as you clearly illustrated in your post. What unit they are from or school they teach means diddly-squat when it comes to actual proficiency. It's also worth mentioning that the "real deal" sniper communities values their anonymity to the point that the more you don't know who the author is, the more you might respect what they have to say. This entire magazine is written by those who have been there and done that, or are at the top of their field in making it possible for other to go and do.

You can criticize Poole for his disclaimer if you want, personally, I would have left it out. He doesn't owe you anything, especially not justification. A certificate doesn't equate ability or wisdom. Reviewing a rifle doesn't need those experiences anyway. You are slightly correct though in your desire. No one that hasn't shot someone should be writing articles about terminal ballistics, but in this case, someone who has done a lot of shooting is writing about how a gun shoots. Fair enough.

It's a little hard to comply with point number seven. GAP, SAC and the super custom makers don't get contracts, they make guns for paper punchers. Would their guns be great for operational use? Absolutely, is it feasible to get their guns to all our snipers in the field? Absolutely not. As such, many discussions about equipment will have to be about big name companies as they are the ones actually producing the weapons being issued to shooters.

And number eight is...well...retarded. Do you have any idea who John Plaster is or what he has done to create solidarity in sniper programs in our military and police? We can credit Land and Hathcock all we want, they certainly were pioneers, but the way I see it, Plaster did the brute work the community and hammered out the kinks. Seeing as how he pulled of impossible shit in Vietnam that makes 80's action movies look even more silly, we generally allow him to appear however he wants and worship him for it. What you read as "silly enthusist antics" is actually "god-like in combat ability while staying down to earth and humble". We all could be more like him.

*End Flame.

Phridum, with all due respect...you are -edit for civility-.

Maybe they could just get Plaster to write every article in the magazine...that would sell like crazy!

Seriously...used in tandem to Ultimate Sniper...I am pretty sure they are trying to gain credibility, not flush it down the toilet.

By the way...Plaster is a douche, just so you know. God-like...that's funny.

I am currious to know that incredible shit he pulled off in Vietnam, please enlighten.

laugh.gif
I just knoticed the ...be more like him... comment, thanks you made me laugh. Oh shit, that was funny...screw that, I want to be more like you! And, FYI, GAP makes rifles for militaries and agencies all over the world.

Oh, OK... this explains it.

BTW...I found it refreshing that an article started with the author admitting that he was not a sniper. I would have a shread of respect for you if you would have done that...maybe.

Gugubica,

I suppose I could be wrong about Plaster. I don't actually know him and haven't heard his stories first hand. All I have to go off of is what's been published about his experiences. I think he's great and really enjoy his books.

Granted, I wasn't all too impressed with Ultimate Sniper when I first bought it, because it really didn't include anything I wasn't taught at Basic Course. But the information in the book is quality. I haven't seen the updated version, but there's certainly nothing wrong with the old one. I think it's one of the better basic handbooks available for sniper craft. I suppose it's fine if you don't like it.

I'm not going to apologize for my airsoft hobby. I think it's fun and I enjoy being a positive influence for the kids who look up to the military and might some day want to enlist. Can't hurt to try and prevent them from picking bad habits before they get there. I created that website in attempt to insulate kids who go to google looking for tactical information and find it spewed across various right-wing militia and supremacist websites.

Gunslinger2111. Where can we get a subscription for this mag? I couldn't find it through google. I bought the first issue and thought it was great. Can you link a page to get a subscription? Thank you

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: luvtoclimb1976</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gunslinger2111. Where can we get a subscription for this mag? I couldn't find it through google. I bought the first issue and thought it was great. Can you link a page to get a subscription? Thank you </div></div>

+1 I want a subscription too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phridum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It's a little hard to comply with point number seven. GAP, SAC and the super custom makers don't get contracts, they make guns for paper punchers. Would their guns be great for operational use? Absolutely, is it feasible to get their guns to all our snipers in the field? Absolutely not. As such, many discussions about equipment will have to be about big name companies as they are the ones actually producing the weapons being issued to shooters. </div></div>

I'm pretty sure GAP gets contracts... a Nice one for the FBI if I recall correctly. They also do builds for LEO's all over the country. I'm sure there are other shops that do the same. This isn't a Military only mag as far as I can tell.

A flame would be more effective if it is fact checked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inogame</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I'm pretty sure GAP gets contracts... a Nice one for the FBI if I recall correctly. They also do builds for LEO's all over the country. I'm sure there are other shops that do the same. This isn't a Military only mag as far as I can tell.

A flame would be more effective if it is fact checked.
</div></div>

I suppose that's true. I hadn't considered any LE contracts which is quite foolish considering the magazine mostly targeted that community. But if I had to fact check every wise ass comment before I spit it out, I'd never get a word in.

I wasn't trying to imply anything, only asking for my own benefit.

Good on you all for being receptive to suggestions. A rare thing these days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunslinger2111</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Hey 11B101ABN,

The "tribal knowledge" is a great point, and the short answer is yes. It was certainly a fine line that was discussed with each contributor and a few military advisors/mentors prior to the proposal. We tried to be sure that the information was obtainable through an open enrollment-type course, or through the a specific product development manufacturer. Much of the information about contracts (like the XM2010 and MSR info) was checked against what was approved by the manufacturer and DoS/DoD for release for public consumption (even though this type of information can be hard to find and it's often released in pieces). I actually read one of my articles over the phone word-for-word to a Army officer tied to a rifle program I was reviewing for accuracy and approval. I want to be able to go to these sources again in the future for other assignments, so it's in my best interest not to cross these lines.

To add color to information, writers pulled on their own experiences for opinions and testing/evaluation. I spent days calling and calling people to fact check stuff ever writer wrote and seek advice on whether it was appropriate for release. Each of the product articles were reviewed and edited by officials for intelligence sensitivity. I pray that we did all we could and while achieving the goal&#151;offering readers like yourself a thoughtful product that you could still respect.

Thanks for keeping us in check sir. Feel free to PM me if you think something was released in this issue that shouldn't have been.

Best,
Eric

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B101ABN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Hey SmithE-6,

Best,
Eric

Eric R. Poole, Editor
InterMedia Outdoors </div></div> </div></div></div></div>

Hey Gents,

I see that I missed a few posts recently. I've been offline working on a new tactical shotgun magazine. After a meeting with the publishing execs on Friday, I believe with good certainty that there will be a 2nd issue of SNIPER scheduled for 1st QTR 2012. That gives us a lot of time to address the feedback (in form of content) and replace the non-sniper-writers with experienced, school trained snipers that care to contribute.

No subscriptions to SNIPER will be offered yet. I'm just lucky to get approval for a second edition. The more people that buy it, the better chance for a subscription service in the future. I think the first issue is pretty much sold out. We've been asked to do a 2nd printing (which is unheard of these days).

Thank you all for your support. I'll try and address the posts I've missed in the last week.

Sends,
Eric

Eric R. Poole, Editor
SIP Division, InterMedia Outdoors

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eric, I picked up a copy and enjoyed it very much. I will buy a subscription </div></div>

Hey Phridum and Snipershide members,

I just wanted to take a moment and express my appreciation for Phridum's post of the comment at the end. But I thought I'd offer some information about me that obviously isn't well known. As everyone knows, I am not a sniper and I don't want to even hint that I have ever done anything in life that equates. Though I only served 8 years and I checked out to work at the NRA and Blackwater more than 5 years ago, my short stint in the Marines was impressionable and formed the basis for what I determined was necessary to be a credible gunwriter like those I grew up admiring. My primary MOS was small arms repair (2111) and I added primary marksmanship instructor to the SRB in 1999 with a brief period spent working the Stone Bay ranges. In late 2002, I graduated a designated marksman pilot program designed to imbed two DMs with M82s in each LAV company. We were being prepped for the Iraq invasion. I was the only Marine in that class that hadn't been through the Scout/Sniper school. An older WO5 named Gunner Galenous (spelling?) was brought out of retirement for war prep and graduated us in Kuwait. Before I came home later in 2003, I earned the combat action ribbon with E Co, 3rd LAR for engagements during the invasion, recorded 5 hits on vehicles and light armor out to 970 yards with the Barrett, one with the LAV-25's Bushmaster chaingun at night through thermals, stitched a checkpoint violator (Renault) with a M240G, and almost killed a guy with the M16A2 after he whipped out a little Beretta .25 and pointed it at another Marine. (The last one, the guy was trying to communicate he was being carjacked so the crew of two vehicles took part in sending rounds from our M16s, M249 and M240 into a nearby berm. The carjackers were scared shitless and fled the scene unharmed.)

I saw the carnage brought by the 1st MEF LAV BN at Nasariyah, saw bodies burned and cut clean at the waste by the 25mm, stood 3 feet in front of a hiding insurgent with an RPG as my fire team tear up his chest with our M16s. (Weird part was after when we all worked to ineffectively seal his fatal sucking chest wound.) And most sadly, we lost a fellow Marine, an LAV gunner named LCPL Greg McDonald, to a vehicle rollover on a mission in July 2003. During the remainder of my tour, I worked all sorts of duties in support of a QRF based in Diwaniyah, including the hot and boring responsibility of providing hours of overwatch/guardian angel service with the Barrett when I wasn't working as a company police sergeant. It wasn't eventful, but those experiences and my time with the Marines certainly shaped my 20s. When I got out, I started writing because I saw a need for someone who could be objective and willing to write on behalf of current military veterans. (At the time there just wasn't any recent veterans writing for gun magazines.) I know what I say won't please everyone, but I maintain my integrity and stay in my lane. Enough time has passed that I've since gotten soft, married, and corrupted by the birth of my baby girl. I know that I'm not a sniper, but I'm still one of the few full-time editors/writers in my industry who has ever heard the sound of an RPK tink-tink-tink the side of an LAV hull, felt the ricochet of an RPG ineffectively deflect off of a turret, or struggled with fear in returning fire while watching F/A-18s and A-10s through 7B night vision destroy send tracers and Hellfires into bunkers and tanks just a couple hundred yards away. Years of softening as a civilian hasn't caused my memories to fade. I still love showing people pictures and bring back items. To this day, I don't let those in my current line of work belittle my service. I've never done anything in life more important than wear a uniform. Still, my eternal respect goes out to all of you that still do it. You are better than I.

I hope that this monologue helps provide readers an understanding to my motivation. Gathering credible writers and content for these magazines is a genuine passion of mine. I'm not trying to waste any of your time or money. I want my magazines to offer you the best reports on guns, gear, and (non-sensitive) tactics without the bias. I can't control/lower the once-a-year $9 price tag. That kind of power is way above my head. I CAN work harder to give you every bit of content to make it worth your money. I welcome any more constructive suggestions for the next issue. This site has already provided me with such valuable feedback.

Sends,
Eric

Eric R. Poole, Editor
SIP Division, InterMedia Outdoors

"You can criticize Poole for his disclaimer if you want, personally, I would have left it out. He doesn't owe you anything, especially not justification. A certificate doesn't equate ability or wisdom. Reviewing a rifle doesn't need those experiences anyway. You are slightly correct though in your desire. No one that hasn't shot someone should be writing articles about terminal ballistics, but in this case, someone who has done a lot of shooting is writing about how a gun shoots. Fair enough."

Eric,
That was an outstanding post. I'm glad i got this thread going. If i didn't im sure someone else would have. Keep up the good work and let us know when the next issue hits the stands.

Robert Young

Eric, thanks for listening.

Please do not assume that one who is not a school trained Sniper is not a wealth of knowledge.

I listen to people all the time that are not Snipers, but they know their shit. Knowledge on a subject trumps a title every day of the week.