• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sniper Magazine

Re: Sniper Magazine

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't control/lower the once-a-year $9 price tag. That kind of power is way above my head. I CAN work harder to give you every bit of content to make it worth your money.</div></div>
Oh, it's <span style="text-decoration: underline">once-per-year</span> $9? Then don't worry about this price tag, just concentrate on the content.
smile.gif

Somehow I got an (apparently erroneous) impression that it was a monthly publication.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I welcome any more constructive suggestions for the next issue. This site has already provided me with such valuable feedback.</div></div>
Sure.

Could you suggest where can I find a copy in the People's Republic of MA?

Hey Eric, Just wanted to say I really enjoyed the magazine. The articles were well written and the reviews seemed to be honest and informative. I can vouch for the fact that the reviews were not driven by advertisement dollars. I work at Nighthawk and we weren't even aware of the review until I picked up the magazine at Wal-Mart. Great job guys, keep up the good work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eric, thanks for listening.

Please do not assume that one who is not a school trained Sniper is not a wealth of knowledge.

I listen to people all the time that are not Snipers, but they know their shit. Knowledge on a subject trumps a title every day of the week. </div></div>
This is a great post but I'm curious how you can make this statement after calling John Plaster a douche just a few posts back? Have you had some bad personal experience with him?

good read. picked it up and loved it. way better than looking through the midway masterlog for the millionth time, while in "the office". =)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nighthawk2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eric, thanks for listening.

Please do not assume that one who is not a school trained Sniper is not a wealth of knowledge.

I listen to people all the time that are not Snipers, but they know their shit. Knowledge on a subject trumps a title every day of the week. </div></div>
This is a great post but I'm curious how you can make this statement after calling John Plaster a douche just a few posts back? Have you had some bad personal experience with him?
</div></div>

Yes. I was perhaps a llittle harsh. It is just a personal opinion. The above statement actually conforms to my opinion.

Eric,

First of all, thanks for serving.

Secondly, don't sweat the price, some people pay more for monthly mags than they do for yours. It would be cool to see it more than once a year if you ended up with more content than one issue could fit.

I found my copy at Walgreens, but have since seen it at Safeway and a couple other places. I especially liked the writeup on the XM2010 and m24 programs, it is my favorite among the platforms out there.

I think you've done an excellent job, especially for a pilot issue. I am certain that it will only get better with time. I appreciate the hands-on knowledge that you guys bring to the table, rather than the all too frequent "I got paid to play with this item, so it's awesome and you all should go buy seven of them" like other rags are known for.

I have had a subscription to several other rags for a while now, but i'm not finding the content as desirable as it once was. I have allowed many to lapse for this reason. I am happy to say that SNIPER does not fit this group, and I am already looking forward to the next issue.

You've covered Big Army's main sniper platform, maybe go for the m40 next?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nighthawk2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eric, thanks for listening.

</div></div>

Yes. I was perhaps a llittle harsh. It is just a personal opinion. The above statement actually conforms to my opinion. </div></div>
I can respect that. I don't expect someone to like a guy just because I like him. I just thought the douche comment was a little out of line. I've known John for several years, and while we don't exactly hang out at the coffee shop, I've never known him to be anything other than a stand-up guy.

Thank you bcw1284,

I appreciate the input. The Marine Corps almost had an M40 for us to review, but the opportunity fell through at the end. We were so close. The Army was a lot more inviting this time around, and that's why they got so much coverage. I really, really wanted more material from the other branches in this issue as well. I certainly believe that I'll be able to make up for it next time. On the Marine side, we're going to try and cover the the shops at Quantico and I've almost got an opportunity worked out for one of our extra-fit former military writers to go through sniper school and see how far he can get before getting weeded out. Even if he gets booted, we're trying to work it out so he can follow the class to graduation. Op Sec may prevent these from happening at the end, but I'm trying to show the public affairs officers that we're just interested in positively educate the public about these valiant servicemen.

Best,
Eric

Eric R. Poole, Editor
SIP Division, InterMedia Outdoors

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eric,

First of all, thanks for serving.

Secondly, don't sweat the price, some people pay more for monthly mags than they do for yours. It would be cool to see it more than once a year if you ended up with more content than one issue could fit.

I found my copy at Walgreens, but have since seen it at Safeway and a couple other places. I especially liked the writeup on the XM2010 and m24 programs, it is my favorite among the platforms out there.

I think you've done an excellent job, especially for a pilot issue. I am certain that it will only get better with time. I appreciate the hands-on knowledge that you guys bring to the table, rather than the all too frequent "I got paid to play with this item, so it's awesome and you all should go buy seven of them" like other rags are known for.

I have had a subscription to several other rags for a while now, but i'm not finding the content as desirable as it once was. I have allowed many to lapse for this reason. I am happy to say that SNIPER does not fit this group, and I am already looking forward to the next issue.

You've covered Big Army's main sniper platform, maybe go for the m40 next? </div></div>

Great magazine. Picked it up last night and have really enjoyed it. Look forward to seeing more.

Eric, if he can't do the school with USMC, ask the Army. There was a TV show done on sniper school (Army, IIRC) and so it may not be as much of an issue with them.

An article about Quantico PWS would be awesome. Watching those guys work is much like watching an artist paint a masterpiece.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunslinger2111</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmithE-6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess it will be the same as all weapons mags, this rifle is good for this, that, does this, that, but a steep price. Never telling us any of the downfalls of the rifle. Like motercycle/ car mags. never tell you the bad crap with the bike/ car just the good crap. For once I would like to see a magizine take the reviewing rifles and fire them with complete honesty, and then grab a couple everyday joes and vs them against other similar/ comparable weapon systems based on their reviews. Please have a walmart special or two thrown in that review aswell.

That is the article I want. </div></div>

Hey SmithE-6,
You should give the Sniper mag a chance. I'm the editor for it and purposefully took your stated approach when making the assignments. I tried to keep non-anklets from contributing to it and hope the next time around, to have the book entirely written by certifiable snipers. It's as much of a magazine that teaches new technical thoughts on long range shooting than a rag that just sucks up to advertisers/manufacturers. Jacob Bynum reviewed the Sniper mag at a recent Sniper Country event in Utah, and I think that he'll be added to the contributors list next time. He seemed pleased. Inside this issue you'll see more detail on the XM2010, a good piece by Caylen Wojcik on unusual shooting positions and a number of Todd Hodnett articles. 128 pages, very few ads, and more unbiased content than you'll see in another gun magazine. I did my best to give the reader a chock full magazine for your $9. I can't control the price, but I can give you a lot more for what you pay for. Ideas for articles in my magazines come right from guys like you and are not driven by advertisers. Just asking for a chance to change the face of gun magazines.

Best,
Eric

Eric R. Poole, Editor
Special Interest Publications
InterMedia Outdoors </div></div>

Hi,

A buddy living in California told me about your magazine.
I'm living in France and would like to purchase it from here. Can you please tell me how it's possible?
Thanks in advance.

a copy oversea ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunslinger2111</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No subscriptions to SNIPER will be offered yet. I'm just lucky to get approval for a second edition. The more people that buy it, the better chance for a subscription service in the future. I think the first issue is pretty much sold out. We've been asked to do a 2nd printing (which is unheard of these days). </div></div>

Eric ,

I'm living on the other side of the big pond , I'd be very interested in getting a copy of your mag , any chance ?

Thanks ,

PP out

Re: a copy oversea ?

Is there any chance one of you guys could pickup a copy or send me yours when you're done. I am here in the sandbox and my chances of finding a copy are slim to none.

I can PM my address and I don't mind covering costs.

Thank you

just picked this up at gander mtn i thought i would support the cause. I was a bit dissapointed though when i realized that several of the articles were already published word for word over a year ago in a "tactical operator" mag also by shooting times. The article taht mentioned snipershide was one of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SgtKope</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there any chance one of you guys could pickup a copy or send me yours when you're done. I am here in the sandbox and my chances of finding a copy are slim to none.

Thank you </div></div>

Sent you a PM. I'll send you my copy.

I just sent him a PM about 30min ago too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phridum</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SgtKope</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there any chance one of you guys could pickup a copy or send me yours when you're done. I am here in the sandbox and my chances of finding a copy are slim to none.

Thank you </div></div>

Sent you a PM. I'll send you my copy.</div></div>

I really appreciate you guys offering up your copy. POPEYECOP I PM'ed you back, I'll take it. Please let me know what I owe you for reimbursement and where to send it.

Thanks Again

I will get it in the mail in the next couple of days.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SgtKope</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really appreciate you guys offering up your copy. POPEYECOP I PM'ed you back, I'll take it. Please let me know what I owe you for reimbursement and where to send it.

Thanks Again</div></div>

i couldnt find one locally so i picked one up brand new on ebay. type in Sniper Magazine. i really liked it but when i saw above that it's yearly only i got bummed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: punkpigpen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i really liked it but when i saw above that it's yearly only i got bummed.</div></div>
Why? It makes perfect sense to me to have it yearly (and I would <span style="text-decoration: underline">not</span> like a monthly magazine with $108 price tag - while $9 tag is no burden at all). Semi-annual would be nice, but yearly works fine. And it's not like I don't have more than enough stuff to read in between the issues of Sniper!
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phridum</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Helidriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to support the idea of a viable magazine for our community. Having said that I do have a few bitches.

1. Stories on operational snipers. What are they doing, what tactics are they using. Anything about them that wouldn't cause opsec concerns. Real life stories.

2. How to's are great. Just make sure it's from a credible source. Joe Blow on marksmanship means I skip the article. Lowlight on marksmanship means I read it. When I see an article in a mag my first thought is who wrote it.

3. Try to make the mag an insider in the community. I hate to use this term but get us the inside scoop on what's going on with that new gizmo or rifle being tested by the MILITARY.....not Jow Blow's Sniper School and Counter Sniper Scope Training classes. What is Quantico doing? What is the MTU doing? How about a little info on Seal Snipers? We don't hear from them much but they make big headlines.

4. Get some real snipers to write articles on fieldcraft and techniques. By real snipers I mean trained military snipers. I'm sure there are some here willing to do it.

7. Don't let the big companies dominate the magazine. Remmington makes guns but it takes companies like GAP, SAC and many others to make them really perform. I don't care what some guy at remmy has to say but when George Gardner speaks I listen. How about some articles about them. Pics of the shops and interviews with the guys that make the guns we shoot.

8. Don't put pics of people that look like cooky right wing nut jobs in the content. Like in the book Ultimate Sniper. Look in that book and you'll know what I'm talking about. Real snipers just don't look like that. The pic of the guy shooting a stainless rifle with a name tag that reads "SNIPER" just maks me want to puke. If you didn't go to a formal school and it wasn't you're profession you're not a real sniper in my mind. You're an enthusiast like me and that's ok. Just don't call yourself a sniper. Call yourself what you are...a shooter...like me...one that prays never to have to place that recticle on a human.
</div></div>

You're asking for a lot of information that shouldn't be put out into the open. If you want to know what operational snipers are doing, join them. Announcing it immediately makes what they are doing ineffective. The "insiders" of the sniper community don't need a magazine. This magazine is their attempt to slip outsiders information. Information they clearly don't know how to process at times, which brings me to my next point...

Author bio's are irrelevant. You should be able to tell from the content of the article that they know what they're talking about or they don't, as you clearly illustrated in your post. What unit they are from or school they teach means diddly-squat when it comes to actual proficiency. It's also worth mentioning that the "real deal" sniper communities values their anonymity to the point that the more you don't know who the author is, the more you might respect what they have to say. This entire magazine is written by those who have been there and done that, or are at the top of their field in making it possible for other to go and do.

You can criticize Poole for his disclaimer if you want, personally, I would have left it out. He doesn't owe you anything, especially not justification. A certificate doesn't equate ability or wisdom. Reviewing a rifle doesn't need those experiences anyway. You are slightly correct though in your desire. No one that hasn't shot someone should be writing articles about terminal ballistics, but in this case, someone who has done a lot of shooting is writing about how a gun shoots. Fair enough.

It's a little hard to comply with point number seven. GAP, SAC and the super custom makers don't get contracts, they make guns for paper punchers. Would their guns be great for operational use? Absolutely, is it feasible to get their guns to all our snipers in the field? Absolutely not. As such, many discussions about equipment will have to be about big name companies as they are the ones actually producing the weapons being issued to shooters.

And number eight is...well...retarded. Do you have any idea who John Plaster is or what he has done to create solidarity in sniper programs in our military and police? We can credit Land and Hathcock all we want, they certainly were pioneers, but the way I see it, Plaster did the brute work the community and hammered out the kinks. Seeing as how he pulled of impossible shit in Vietnam that makes 80's action movies look even more silly, we generally allow him to appear however he wants and worship him for it. What you read as "silly enthusist antics" is actually "god-like in combat ability while staying down to earth and humble". We all could be more like him.

*End Flame. </div></div>

Plaster's a nut with some knowledge but not a hero. Not by a long shot. All I can say is wow! You are impressionable. lol....damn.....what shit in Nam are you talking about? What brute work? Solidarity in the sniper programs......WTF are you talking about dude? Please tell us. Both books are full of info. Most of it shit, some of it good. It's a great book for BB flingers but not serious shooters.

Nothing that could be said in the mag short of names is going to cause OPSEC concerns. If you don't know what that means well that's not my problem. By the time it gets to us the enemy has adapted and it's old news.

If you don't think it's important who you get you're info from I've got a real nice Counter Sniper Scope for sale. The same one our guys use in the sandbox. Zantirilliam coated lenses, unobtainium body, top of the line. Makes an S&B look like a kids toy. Yours for only $4500!!!!You'll love it. You don't care if the guy trying to show you something knows what he's talking about????? Really???? Me, I want to know if the guy is just a blogger shoveling shit or a guy with some credentials.

GAP builds operational equipment. Do you really think every sniper is in the military or LE? Do some more research before you comment. One of GAP's guys now works at Quantico PWS building the rifles our Marines shoot. GAP and the PWS have a relationship that's for sure.

I think you need to read and not write for a while. Go fling some plastic BB's wih the kids and come back when you've got a clue.

For those of you wanting a copy of the Sniper magazine, send me a PM and I can pick one up for you. Your cost will be $10 (cost of the magazine) and shipping is free. Paypal accepted.

I have already purchased (2) copies for other Hide members.

If anyone is in the PDX/Gresham Oregon area,the Borders Books located in Gresham Square says they have a large supply of the mag.
Wife just came from there after picking up a copy for me.
RK

Im living in Afghanistan right now and my local PX doesnt carry this magazine, though Ive asked. I found out about it on a Facebook ad I think. Is there a website for this magazine yet?

I think the first attempt was pretty good. The articles by Jeff Hoffman were really good.

More articles about training schools and comps would be nice.

I would have no problem purchasing the magazine a handful of times a year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beltayn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im living in Afghanistan right now and my local PX doesnt carry this magazine, though Ive asked. I found out about it on a Facebook ad I think. Is there a website for this magazine yet? </div></div>

No, there is no website as of yet. If you want the magazine, I can ship it if you provide the proper address. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Anyone know who makes the suppressor cover with mirage band that is on the Remington MSR?

Thanks!

I'm about 95% sure we made the suppressor cover and mirage band that you see Steelhead. I can't find a copy of the mag where I'm at but someone did send me a picture a while back that showed a guy holding the XM2010 from a mag and asked if we made it, which we did.

Must have been living under a rock the last few months. Didn't' even know this was out. Gonna grab a copy on the way home today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevlars</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its not all that and a bag of chips. </div></div>

Maybe so, maybe not. But it's something I want to check out. Plus it's probably got a lot of pictures. Nevar wuz good wift wordz
laugh.gif

I just found one at a book store and sor far what i have covered i like it, Good pictures and facts i think in time it will be a winner. MM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dsparil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what's the website for the magazine? </div></div>

There's no website currently.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: POPEYECOP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We got any updates for a new issue coming out soon???</div></div>

Sorry for the delay, I've been out of the office a lot lately. I recently got the word that Sniper was authorized for a second issue to hit newsstands 1st qtr 2012. Interest and support from the various sniper communities has been so positive that I'm positive that I'll be able to restrict authorship of the every article to actual snipers next time. More intel to come. Thank you Sniper's Hide for the feedback.

Best,
Eric

Eric R. Poole, Editor
InterMedia Outdoors
SIP Division

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dsparil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what's the website for the magazine? </div></div>

There's no website currently. </div></div>

Yeah, sorry about the disappointment on this one. Currently, my company's digital resources are focused on the main titles like Guns & Ammo and Shooting Times. They'll get around to my books at some point.

Best,
Eric

Eric R. Poole, Editor
InterMedia Outdoors
SIP Division

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: POPEYECOP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No This One.
2011-03-07_13-41-00_895.jpg
</div></div>

Hi guys ,
I am Ray from England and I am trying to purchase this very Sniper magazine!!
Can you lads give me some help please of how to get 2 of these sent over!
Thankyou...

AWESOME! This is one of the first magazines I've picked up in years that I read cover to cover. I've very happy to hear it will be continued.

And for those that think the magazine is too much money per issue, think about this: Lesser priced magazines have LESS MONEY in the coffers to produce it. Here's what that means to you, the reader:

1. They have less money to PAY writers and photographers. So, you get CHEAPER writers and use CHEAPER photographers. And you aren't able to PAY them to GO to places you might want to read about (ranges, visits to manufacturers, etc).

2. IF they want to have better writers and photographers, there's only one way to keep the cover price down AND have the cash to pay for them. ADVERTISE. And in SPADES. The advertising money fills in the gap created by a low cover price.

So, you can have a great magazine that's well written and has great photography with MINIMAL ad content. OR, you can have an inch think magazine that has a low cover price but is 20% articles and 80% advertising. Go pick up a copy of Street Rodder Magazine next time you're at the store. It's a quarter inch thick, and 70% are full and quarter page ads. And it's $6.00. Me, I'll pay $12 for a 100 page magazine that's 90% articles and 10% advertising. Fuck the ads, I want articles, quality, detailed photographs printed on nice, high quality paper so I can save it for future reference. Just my 2 cents.

Keep up the great work Eric. And if you're ever up in Chicago, PM me before you come up and we'll grab a brew.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunslinger2111</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: POPEYECOP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We got any updates for a new issue coming out soon???</div></div>

Sorry for the delay, I've been out of the office a lot lately. I recently got the word that Sniper was authorized for a second issue to hit newsstands 1st qtr 2012. Interest and support from the various sniper communities has been so positive that I'm positive that I'll be able to restrict authorship of the every article to actual snipers next time. More intel to come. Thank you Sniper's Hide for the feedback.

Best,
Eric

Eric R. Poole, Editor
InterMedia Outdoors
SIP Division </div></div>

Would anyone here be willing to sell me their magazine ?

I have looked everywhere but am unable to locate one.

Thanks.

If anyone is still wanting a copy of this, I have one that I was able to snag. For the price of $10, I'll send it to you. That covers what it cost to purchase and ship it.

Lemme know.

Sorry... I know I'm resurrecting an older thread, but I missed out on the first issue. Any idea if there will be a second issue and when it's expected to hit the newsstand?