• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sniper's Hide "Gladius" Limited Edition M2009

Re: Sniper's Hide "Gladius" Limited Edition M2009

he has been asked before and too many whiney cunts ruin the idea. The barrel length was the main issue.

Everyone wimps out with short barrels, they all start complaining they need 24" anytime we do something less or even 308 now the complaints pour in. So I don't see a group buy happening, or a site build because everyone wants different calibers and different barrel lengths

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why don't you just order one from GAP?</div></div>

Gee there is a novel idea!

The group buys "seem" to have something that is "extra" cool.......

The Valkyrie.....Wish I would have had the opportunity.

I agree with you , Chiller....

The Gladius is probably my favorite rifle on the Hide. I just want to know what are the barrel specs. 18" Bartlien tight bore (.299 or .298, contour? any special chamber specs?

the contour is a GAP Contour or more of a Remington Varmint and the chamber is nothing special, whatever GAP did, I never specify and personally don't care as long as it runs dirty... I hate tight chambers that cry when a spec of dirty gets in them.

According to LL, he stated earlier in this thread: "So I don't see a group buy happening, or a site build because everyone wants different calibers and different barrel lengths". I am going to be the eternal optimist here & say that maybe just maybe if there is enough interest we can use some sniper hide pressure that maybe… just maybe we can show enough interest to get another “limited Edition rifle”. I for one am bummed that I missed out on the last one. I was realitvely new to the Hide and I had no earthly idea on what I was missing.

Thanks LL. I am really thinking about having one built. It won't be my 1k gun, the 7WSM will take of those duties. Not saying that it will not see those ranges, it would just be a bonus if it does.

What I am thinking of building

Trued Rem 700
Badger knob
Badger M5
McM A5
Atlas Bipod
18" Broughton or Bartlien (unknown contour, nothing too heavy)
S&B or Premier 15-16x range
AAC 726SD suppressor

ive got a GAP Crusader with a 17.5" barrel. it was supposed to be 18 but AAC sent me the wrong break and therefore GAP threaded it and then called me to tell me it was wrong. Oh well, I lost a half inch. Its still sub MOA out to 600.

I think the Gladius and Valkyrie builds are some of the best looking rifles out there.

Id be down for another group build with GAP. Lets do something off the wall.... a small precision rifle in 5.7 would be pretty damn cool!
wink.gif

Like I said, I would be up for doing something but it comes down to several things...

1. Caliber, everyone wants their favorite so that limits who will participate, limited edition means limited choices

2. Barrel Length, everyone wants to reach 1000 yards (regardless of their access, or abilities ) so they want longer than I am willing to go, so that limits participation

3. Number of people willing to spend about $3200 on a 308 or something very close with an 18.5", we would need at least 20 solid commitments to move forward on any group build or limited edition rifle

I can put stuff together but the commitments necessary are tough, times are changing and it is not as easy to do as it once was... the first time we did a Sniper's Hide Rifle we sold 50, this time we sold 20 because everyone wants something different and that doesn't work when we spec out the build. Same with the Harbinger, the complaints went around the block because the barrel was 22".

it would be cool to do a rifle exactly like Gladius and then have a side-bet at the comps and what not for everyone shooting the gladius. Not that the rifle is less accurate or anything but it would be fun to have all the short .308s shootout against each other.

LL,

For Giggles, what action would you build this with? I have said it on this thread and others. I would like the opportunity. I would love SN 003(Long Story)

I think the Gladius is one of the best looking 308's I have seen. It can do every thing a 308 really ever need's to do.

Thanks,
L.

We already did a 308 only match, last year the Sniper's Hide Cup was sponsored by Cor Bon and was 308 only.

I used a Remington Action, but I'm not sure how many George has available to build on ? I suppose I could something like a Stiller action, it would have to be something that fit in a smaller stock. The Gladius uses a Manners T2A, so that is one consideration. I would almost like to use one of the new McMillans to try, but the Manners works well.

The reason its the Gladius, is because it is the short sword, Infidel doesn't quite work and would be a different rifle in my opinion.

Again, highly doubt people would step up for a 18.5" 308... I would suspect about 8 people, maybe 10.

ok......

I would be interested in 003....

The other advantage is when the High Angle class happens It would be less with for me to trudge around with.
laugh.gif

I would just need a stock that fits me in that I am on the other end of the size spectrum.....

14uyrr.jpg

8zfq0g.jpg

Mongo like cake........

The Gladius is perfect in a class like that, and depending where you are is a perfect feeling all around rifle. It does work at 1000 yards, and very well, but at elevation it kicks ass even further out.

and it's not heavy or long, so walking straight up a hill isn't nearly so bad. I loved using the Gladius at Thunder Ranch

EVERYBODY RIPS MY PICS OFF!!!!

Do you feel that… eternal optimism is slowly starting to prevail.

2 rifles down (Chiller & myself)…. 18 more to go & we don’t even have any specs yet.

LL – let’s face it, you spend more trigger time than probably 90% of all Hide members; thus, I will rely on your expertise to spec together the next rifle and I promise you no complaints will be heard from me with respects to the specs. I reserve the right to bitch about how long it will take to start squeezing off rounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For even more giggles....

call this one the Infidel</div></div>

Already used this past year by another custom rifle company's build.

OK LL, as long as its available in .308, I'll commit as well. It was my post that started all this. I can get it with a 26" barrel, right??
I'm kidding, 18, 18.5 , whatever you spec out, I'm in. Maybe a brake and suppressor along the lines of the Valkyrie build?
Ken

LL,

As discussed in the class. Build a rifle that works at Rifles Only. Use the Huber (or what works), use the Badger Action (or what works), etc. Try to see if there could be a short stick that would <span style="text-decoration: underline">work</span>.

I have missed out on the other builds the past few years due to lack of funds. Id be in if there is one since Ill have alot of money the next year while deployed and nothing to spend it on.

Hugh,

4 is not a whirl wind... and really there is a spec, the Gladius, we can modify that spec, but basically you are asking people to commit to an 18.5" Barreled 308... action and stock to be determined.

4 is only 1/4 of the way, towards any action in this direction

LL,
Is the sure fire brake that you have on yours for mounting a suppressor? Is there a Sure Fire break that is not for suppressors so the 'look" would be the same. Also, what about this gun non braked or non suppressed. Would you still get 1k out of it?

I am intrigued by the gun. I liked the way it felt when I got to shoulder it. i regret now not running out to the tower and shooting it...
Jack

Hot damn... 5 people & the thread is less than 24 hours old... it is starting too look promising.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TBass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hot damn... 5 people & the thread is less than 24 hours old... it is starting too look promising.
</div></div>

Until I tell you it will require a deposit up front because we are not moving forward without "actual" commitments and not the usual "internet' commitments.
smile.gif

I like the McM idea, I would also like to see the Seekings DBM with the push button release. Don't need a brake, just threaded with a cap.

I would be in for one in 308 and one in 223 or I could get George to build a 223 clone for me later.

So that is at least (1) for me or (2) if I could be one of those odd balls that would change up the caliber.

Thanks,
Mark

Ah, no... when we build it, it will be a single spec build... this "I would like' is what fucks them all up... if you want a .223 or something different call George today and order it.

Once we start compromising to make a single sale the whole build goes to hell.

Have scratch in hand & willing to FedEx a check the moment Lowlight gives the Greenlight. Willing to make full payment upfront.

BUSTED,

My apologies LL, was just tryin to add +1 more to the build.

lol,
Mark

Im in for a SH group build.

18.5" barrel on a 308. hell yes!

It seems as if there is enough interest to continue discussion, at least......

Frank,

I guess my point is that absent action by you, GAP, etc. There is interest in one of these. If you, GAP, etc were to formally say this were a go I suspect (don't know) you would find that there is a interest to meet the requiments (beyond internet interest). A robust field "small" field gun would be of personal interest. The "kill house" at RO drives the point that a huge stick is not the end all, be all solution.

I am truly trying to make sure I can attend the high angle class if it is offered and this would be a great piece of kit to use (have the tool to fit the task).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeep Chimp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It seems as if there is enough interest to continue discussion, at least...... </div></div>

Continuing the discussion is not going to get them going. I have done a few group buys and builds, as soon as LL specs the build everyone and their mother want to make a few "small change", just read some of the post above. When that happens it's no longer a group buy project but a custom order. If that's the case then just call one of the builders and have it done your way.

There is a whole lot of work that goes into getting a group buy started. Just getting all the parts and different manufactures of those parts on the same page is a huge pain, and trying to make "small changes" will screw it all up. The whole point of the theme builds is they are all the same and are all kept simple.

Then there is the issue of deposit and wait time. Half up front and waiting six to eight months for the build is just more then some guys can stand. You might get 10 or 20 guys to "commit" but four months into it they need to back out and are asking for the deposit back. That puts the organizer in a bind because he had a commitment and has already paid for the materials. Now the organizer is out of pocket or needs to find someone to take that persons place in line for a special order rifle with fixed specs and no changes.

Not easy and I know how LL feels and I would not take on this project, the potential of out of pocket expense and headache are too high.

Here is another option for someone hot and bothered for a new theme build. If someone wants to take on this project, get the okay from LL and someone else be the head organizer and get it done, why does LL need to do it?

Perhaps the single largest reason is that LL has <span style="font-weight: bold">swing</span>. I have been to RO and he has called one of the top smith's in the business to solve a problem. Jacob has the same swing. I suspect there are others who are similar I just dont know them all.

I do not doubt that this would be difficult (most good things are difficult). I am more than happy to help to the extent of my ability (I am not asking for a hand out, I am asking for a hand up).