• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SnipersHide/SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 GroupBuy

Re: SnipersHide/SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 GroupBuy

The fact that last week I purchased a Mueller 4-16X50 to get me by until my 5-20 came in was short lived. LOL

I ordered on the 15th or so and got a shipping conf. and charge on my CC today. I am happy, it is just that I forgot about this thing and since I have gone a little nuts on purchases (new truck zaped my fun account, couple guns, vacations).

I see what I can move around to justify this sweet scope.

Ordered 17th, got shipping confirmation today, should be delivered on the 28th.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ordered 17th, got shipping confirmation today, should be delivered on the 28th.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Awesome.. that means they are almost done with all the orders.

Finally received my scopes today! I have to say, pretty nice! The resistance on the knobs and the magnification collar are spot on IMO.

{s]The "clicks" on the knobs are decent but nearly as nice as on my S&B (the S&B's have a nice razor sharp click, the SS's are much more "muted" feeling).[/s]

UPDATE: I rotated the W/E knobs to full stop in each direction a few times as recommended by another member and now the knobs are a LOT better. Maybe there's grease in there that needed to be "distributed" by rotating the knobs or something but whatever the reason, the tactile and audible feedback in much improved. Using my completely unscientific method (my fingers and ears), I'd say that the SWFA SS W/E knobs now feel/sound about 90% of my S&B's. The SWFA SS W/E are a slight bit easier to turn (I'd say maybe 10-15% easier). I'm thoroughly satisfied with the SS SWFA W/E knob feedback.

It's already getting dark so I haven't had a good look at the glass but from a very limited initial eyeballing, it looks pretty good. I like the reticle much more then IOR's MP8 reticle which is a bit thick at 17x. I took some black paper tape and covered up the logo on the battery cover...it's just too much white (what do you mean "you" people?) I may end up doing a very light spray with some flat black KG Stock Kote 1200 as permanent fix as that will mute the logo but won't hide it completely.

My only other "issue" is that I prefer a separation of the illumination and parallax dials like on the S&B's (and other scopes) but I can live with the combined dials on the SWFA SS.

So outside of those little things, initial impression is that it was money well spent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ordered 17th, got shipping confirmation today, should be delivered on the 28th.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Congrats. Ordered on the 16th, still no charge or shipping confirmation here. Not sure if I am going to keep the scope or not, went crazy and bough a Premier 5-25x56mm when I was waiting.

I ordered one on 6/13 and another on 6/16, and then a week or so ago added a Bobro mount. I got a call today from SWFA saying the Bobro is backordered, but that they have the same mount in stock but with an SWFA logo. So they're swapping out the Bobro for the SWFA-branded version, combining the orders to save on shipping, and shipping it out today. I should have it all tomorrow. As they say on that Interweb thingy, "w00t!"

My order was 6/15, shipped yesterday. Can't wait to try it.

I got nervous and called today about my two. They said wait until end of day, they are shipping out a lot of them today. Fingers crossed.

Ordered 6/7 and got my scope yesterday. I am very pleased with the initial inspection. Snowing like a banshee here and my rifle is at my smith until January, so no range any time soon for me. But, I like everything about it so far.

This is my first scope with a 50mm obj., FFP and illuminated reticle. After reading some initial reviews of this scope, I was having some mixed feelings. However, I think it's great! The magnification setting dial is not as stiff as I thought it would be reading some of the previous reviews...doubt I'll need a cattail. The elevation and windage marks line up great...though of course I haven't zeroed this yet. I like all the knobs, even the parallax adjustment doesn't bother me.

I also really like the reticle as well...though again, I haven't been to the range with it, but it looks great to me. I do have one question, the illuminated reticle only lights up a dot at the center of the cross hairs...is that how it is supposed to be? I thought some or all of the cross-hairs were supposed to be lit? I only see a red-dot at the center.

Either way, I doubt I'll do much low light range estimation. YMMV. Really really pleased with this purchase! Thanks again Lowlight and SWFA!!!

It has been mentioned the illuminated reticle is just a dot at the center and NOT the rest of the reticle.

Ordered 6/16, got a call from a nice lady today that it will be shipped today. Happy days are here again!

Sam

Ordered 6/8, finally received the scope yesterday.

Initial feeling:

Optically: IMHO, this is as good as you can get from any Japanese manufactured glass, including other good brand such as NF or Razor, but this is just Japanese glass quality, not super clear German/Austrian top tier ones.

Mechanically: very solid built, massive knob with positive enough click, elevation over 30mil. Good on almost every aspect except the illumination: knob will go out a little bit in between the dial like a car pass through the bump, and it is indeed dim at any level (battery seems to be dead already?) Will go change another battery and try, is that normal?

In all, seems SSHD 5-20 deserves what I paid for it so far, can't wait to test it in long range situation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sheldon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It has been mentioned the illuminated reticle is just a dot at the center and NOT the rest of the reticle. </div></div>

O.K. thanks. I think I need a new battery though, since I cannot see the dot until its on 7 or 8 even in a completely dark room.

Received my scope today, now have to order a new Armalite mount. Or Nightforce one piece mount.
Time to do a side by side comparison to my NSX scope.

Also changed the battery, did,t seem to make any difference, even withthe new battery.

Got mine in the mail yesterday. Everything looks good. Now to get my rings and base so i can get it mounted!

I ordered 2 on 6/17. Been patiently waiting. Plan on putting these on my AR10T and the wifes AR10T carbine. Still undecided on the mounts. Anybody care to offer up suggestions on THE best one piece mounts made?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob Cooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered 2 on 6/17. Been patiently waiting. Plan on putting these on my AR10T and the wifes AR10T carbine. Still undecided on the mounts. Anybody care to offer up suggestions on THE best one piece mounts made?</div></div>

I've used a Bobro (swfa label) and been happy. It does what they say, doesn't move, easy on and off, maintains zero. The height seems about right for an AR but I use a cheek piece for a better weld. There are reviews here somewhere. The low-slightly forward fits the 5x20 fine. http://swfa.com/SWFA-Precision-Optic-30mm-Mount-P48134.aspx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sheldon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It has been mentioned the illuminated reticle is just a dot at the center and NOT the rest of the reticle. </div></div>

O.K. thanks. I think I need a new battery though, since I cannot see the dot until its on 7 or 8 even in a completely dark room. </div></div>
Mine lights up the whole ladder but it has to be on high to see it well in daylight. Maybe its broken but I kinda like it. Low is really low.

Looking forward to getting mine, I ordered mine on 6/16 and just got the shipping confirmation from UPS.

Ordered on: 6/16/2011 9:18:04 AM, Shipped 10/26/11
I bought a replacement while waiting but I'm excited to take a look at it!

My illumination is very dim. I had to put it on 10/11 to see it inside the house. My entire crosshair is illuminated but it is very dim. Everything else looked good...turrets lined up correct and clear glass. My illuminated USO's and even my SS 1-4 are much much brighter than the new scope. Maybe just a battery issue.

I had two of them, both my illuminations were very dim in normal light. That is the way it was designed. It is not meant to be used during the day like the ss 1-4x. One of mine only the center of the reticle illuminated, on the other the whole reticle did, more so if I had the setting real high. On a lower setting it did not bleed to much. If I turned it down to where I actually needed it in low light it worked pretty well.

I have used them in low light and the ill seemed to be just right.

Does the scope come with a manual or other documentation? All I received in the box was the scope and a hex wrench.

(Regardless, at $1000 + shipping, it indeed lives up to the "hype." A big thank-you to SWFA and Lowlight for organizing one helluva deal.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rfb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the scope come with a manual or other documentation? All I received in the box was the scope and a hex wrench.

(Regardless, at $1000 + shipping, it indeed lives up to the "hype." A big thank-you to SWFA and Lowlight for organizing one helluva deal.)</div></div>
Nope... More like most folks with Apple computers do, twist, push, play til you figure it out. Seriously tho, lots of info here about it runs.

Good to know. For a second, I panicked. "SOMEONE STOLE THE FREE CRAP FROM MY BOX! Where's the manual? Where are the cheap-o bikini covers? Where's the warranty registration card?"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rfb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good to know. For a second, I panicked. "SOMEONE STOLE THE FREE CRAP FROM MY BOX! Where's the manual? Where are the cheap-o bikini covers? Where's the warranty registration card?"</div></div>
That's why I like dealing with SWFA...don't need no stinking warranty card. Their word is good and they assume so is yours. Wouldn't it be nice if panasonic, ford, toyota, viking, sony.....shared that value?

That makes sense compared to the SS1-4 but if definitely has a lot less brightness than my USO's. With an 11 position setting it could be both dim and bright. As it is it is non existent up to dim looking on mine. Usable though just different than I am used to...

Good news, I came home tonight and found an E-mail from SWFA with tracking information on my two scopes. I'ts a fresh billing cycle on my credit card, so I have time to decide if I keep these and sell my Nightforce or sell these on the Hide.
I am really looking forward to the FFP, and having two rifles scoped with the same optics.
I'll post my opinion after I have them for a few weeks.
SScott

Glad to see people are getting and enjoying their scopes! I'm just hoping that my order on 9/8 will come before Christmas time.

Good news about it looking like mine will still be a while is that I can finally spend some money on Lasik and gets my eyes fixed so I can fully enjoy the scope's clarity.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob Cooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody care to offer up suggestions on THE best one piece mounts made? </div></div>
It's hard to say which is the "best" as there are a few very good ones. SPHUR makes an incredible mount. ADM mounts are also great as are the AAD mounts. NEAR also makes a great one piece mount. If I had to put them in order, I would say SPHUR/NEAR, AAD then ADM overall. Of course, YMMV depending on what features/specs you consider important. Personally, I use a lot of ADM mount (I swapped out almost all of my LaRue's after having their mounts loosen up) as I like the quick release feature.

I'm going to use one of my SWFA SS's for a load development scope so I'm mounting it in a ADM Recon mount in order to make it quick and easy to move from rifle to rifle.

In regards to illumination, on the one I tested, it seemed bright enough for low light use however, there is a lot of illumination bleeding at all levels. From about setting four and up is where I really notice it. Luckily, for me anyways, I don't really plan on using this in any sort of low light situation.

Another possible issue is with the eye box. It seems like at 20x, the eye box is a little picky. I'll need to take it out and compare it to some other scopes however. Has anyone else compared the eye box of the this scope to a NF or better scope?

I just got mine yesterday! It is very impressive, but I think im going to have to get rid of it, I don't really have anything to put it on right now. I sold the rifle it was for to fund a new truck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azeyecap</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got mine yesterday! It is very impressive, but I think im going to have to get rid of it, I don't really have anything to put it on right now. I sold the rifle it was for to fund a new truck. </div></div>

Ah, gotta love the <100 ct posters who do the thinly veiled classified ad posts...

I'll buy it off of ya!

Give me a call or email.

Steve

Second one on the way.. got late on last day of the promo. Be here early next week.

Hmm, ordered on the 17th, and no word yet. Guys are getting their second ones before I have my first. Patience.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: recce556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In regards to illumination, on the one I tested, it seemed bright enough for low light use however, there is a lot of illumination bleeding at all levels. From about setting four and up is where I really notice it. Luckily, for me anyways, I don't really plan on using this in any sort of low light situation.</div></div>

Same here. I can get the reticle to glow on higher levels, not just the center dot. I don't have mine mounted yet, so I'm hoping it just looks funky because I'm just holding it up and eyeballing it.

The bleeding isn't a dealbreaker for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtb33</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azeyecap</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got mine yesterday! It is very impressive, but I think im going to have to get rid of it, I don't really have anything to put it on right now. I sold the rifle it was for to fund a new truck. </div></div>

Ah, gotta love the <100 ct posters who do the thinly veiled classified ad posts... </div></div>

No worse than the people immediately listing them up for sale to make a quick buck off a fellow hide member.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtb33</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azeyecap</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got mine yesterday! It is very impressive, but I think im going to have to get rid of it, I don't really have anything to put it on right now. I sold the rifle it was for to fund a new truck. </div></div>

Ah, gotta love the <100 ct posters who do the thinly veiled classified ad posts... </div></div>

No worse than the people immediately listing them up for sale to make a quick buck off a fellow hide member. </div></div>

Unless you are trying to do that with less than 100 posts.
shocked.gif

I had the best news today, my doctors told me that I am out of the woods and well on the road to recovery from my cancer surgery!
Then about a hour later, my sister called me and said that a big package from a company called "SWFA" came for me!!! I cannot wait to get home and mount it!! I just hope I get to go home soon.
I would like to thank SWFA and Lowlight for making a grown man feel like a little kid at Christmas again! Jay.

Congratz Jay both on your health and the scope
smile.gif

I got my SWFA scope from this group buy. I'm pretty impressed. This thing is built solid. The turrets felts a bit mushy right out of the box, but once I turned it a rotation and back, the clicks felt great after that. Very good glass quality.

I've had the Vortex Viper PST FFP for while before this came. Initial impression is better glass, better feel on the click and much beefier.

Can't wait to mount it.

So what was the final shipped price of this group buy?

Edit - nevermind I went back through the thread to see what it ended up being.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jmj5407</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had the best news today, my doctors told me that I am out of the woods and well on the road to recovery from my cancer surgery!
Then about a hour later, my sister called me and said that a big package from a company called "SWFA" came for me!!! I cannot wait to get home and mount it!! I just hope I get to go home soon.
I would like to thank SWFA and Lowlight for making a grown man feel like a little kid at Christmas again! Jay.</div></div>

Great news Jay! Best wishes on your recovery. Enjoy the scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mohonri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do these compare to the bushnell tactical ffp, weaver tactical ffp, and viper pst ffp?</div></div>

Everything is subjective, but to put it simply, the three you mentioned are great values at the $700-$800 range. I'm sure all will serve you well. I have a 15x Weaver mil/mil and really like it on my AR10.

The SS 20x is an excellent value at the $1500 price point. I have one on my .308 bolt and also enjoy it very much.

Got both of mine that I ordered on 16 June mounted today and will try to hit the range tomorrow if not for sure monday!