• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SnipersHide/SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 GroupBuy

Re: SnipersHide/SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 GroupBuy

My two scopes arrived this last week and I got the last one mounted on my son's rifle last night. Initial impression is very favorable. In fact, I think the glass is at least as good as my Night Force. I like the feel of the NXS turrets over the SWFA, but if I had it to do all over again I think I would get the SWFA over the NF. I'll know more when I get some rounds through the new ones.

THANKS SWFA!

Saleen

ordered on the last day 17th I think at around 8-11pm, no word yet. SWFA said that they do have it and it will go out (sometime). No worries I just got my bolt back from the bolt knob group buy. So this should work out great.

Ordered on the 16th (next to last day). Scopes are en-route and due to deliver on Nov. 1.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtb33</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azeyecap</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got mine yesterday! It is very impressive, but I think im going to have to get rid of it, I don't really have anything to put it on right now. I sold the rifle it was for to fund a new truck. </div></div>

Ah, gotta love the <100 ct posters who do the thinly veiled classified ad posts... </div></div>

haha, I really didn't mean it that way, but now that I read it again it does sound that way. I have plenty of other places I can sell it if comes to that, I have never tried to list anything here, I guess there is a min post requirement. Which is fine, keeps the riffraff out I suppose.

Well I got my first one today (have another with UPS to be delivered tomorrow). I mounted it in a bobro mount and slapped it on my AR-15. I was happy to see that it cleared my rear mbus (even with the objective BC cap). It was pretty much dark by the time I really got to look at it, so I won't have any feedback until the weekend (silly fall and it's short days). I will say that the scope "controls" feel great. I was a little worried that the power adjustment ring would be too stiff - but it turns pretty smoothly with just the right amount of resistance. The turrets feel very solid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wuzup101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I got my first one today (have another with UPS to be delivered tomorrow). I mounted it in a bobro mount and slapped it on my AR-15. I was happy to see that it cleared my rear mbus (even with the objective BC cap). It was pretty much dark by the time I really got to look at it, so I won't have any feedback until the weekend (silly fall and it's short days). I will say that the scope "controls" feel great. I was a little worried that the power adjustment ring would be too stiff - but it turns pretty smoothly with just the right amount of resistance. The turrets feel very solid.</div></div>

I was about to ask if this scope would be overkill for an AR-15 platform, I think I'll save up and get one so I am able to switch it over to a 700 in .308 afterwards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kaptain86</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wuzup101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I got my first one today (have another with UPS to be delivered tomorrow). I mounted it in a bobro mount and slapped it on my AR-15. I was happy to see that it cleared my rear mbus (even with the objective BC cap). It was pretty much dark by the time I really got to look at it, so I won't have any feedback until the weekend (silly fall and it's short days). I will say that the scope "controls" feel great. I was a little worried that the power adjustment ring would be too stiff - but it turns pretty smoothly with just the right amount of resistance. The turrets feel very solid.</div></div>

I was about to ask if this scope would be overkill for an AR-15 platform, I think I'll save up and get one so I am able to switch it over to a 700 in .308 afterwards. </div></div>

I wouldn't think so if it's a SPR.

WOW 276799 Views! Is this a record breaking post on the Hide????!

Sounds like overkill to me for an AR-15 in .223/5.56? Why not look at a SS 3-9x, Weaver Tactical 3-15 FFP, or Viper PST 4-16 FFP? I have a SS HD FFP 1-4 on my Robinson Arms XCR...

Does SWFA do Black Friday/Cyber Monday/Thanksgiving/Christmas deals annually?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kaptain86</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was about to ask if this scope would be overkill for an AR-15 platform</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mohonri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like overkill to me for an AR-15 in .223/5.56? Why not look at a SS 3-9x, Weaver Tactical 3-15 FFP, or Viper PST 4-16 FFP? I have a SS HD FFP 1-4 on my Robinson Arms XCR...</div></div>

I'm actually using one on a ADM Quick Release mount as a "load development" scope for my SPR/RECCE/DMR builds. Using the scopes that normally ride on those rifles (10x or less) is, IMO, far too underpowered for load development.

I too wouldn't use it as the "standard" optic for my AR15's but I'm putting one on my AR10.

I just got a second 1 in. Forgot I had ordered it.

I see an improvement in the turret markings lining up perfectly and the illumination does not bleed into the reticle as much as the first one i had.
I'll keep this one for a while.

I bought 4 of em, and the illumination bleeds into the rest of the reticle so badly, I thought the whole reticle was illuminated. Is that bad? What does. SWFA say about it?

I sold one and kept one, simply because I sold the other rifle. I really like the scope, and wish I had kept the other one.

On the other hand, I have 2 of the GAP/Bushnell scopes on order, so I have that to look forward to.

I'm planning on a side-by-side comparison. No matter what, the SS is a great scope and very bright. Don't see me selling it. I'll probably do the logical thing and buy a rifle to put it on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought 4 of em, and the illumination bleeds into the rest of the reticle so badly, I thought the whole reticle was illuminated. Is that bad? What does. SWFA say about it? </div></div>

I wouldn't think it was a bad thing if the reticle is totally illuminated and crisp like properly executed lit rets from USO, Zeiss, Swaro, newer IOR, etc.
The original goal was to light up the center like a dot, not the rest of the reticle, IIRC.
Mine lights up like a dot in the center on the lowest powers of the rheostat. It starts to bleed about halfway to full power but not as badly as my first sample.
I would only use illumination on the lowest settings anyway.

Hell, this scope sits atop my pdog gun. Will probably never use the lit ret. Could live without it.

Ugh.. Looks like I'm on the next shipment of scopes. Contacted SWFA about my order and they stated they have another shipment due 7-14 days from now.
frown.gif

Well I might be on the next one as well. No big deal. I wasn't expecting them to come in until closer to Christmas.
smile.gif

Mine arrived today. Ordered on the 16th.

Nice...very nice. Look forward to putting them to use.

I got my scope, and as I hefted it out of the box, the word "Beefy" came to mind. It is a very solid piece of machinery. I am very happy with it.

Thanks SWFA and LL for doing this group buy. I am enjoying a class of scope that I would not otherwise have.

Got mine today, and mounted it on a MA-10 .308 build. First impression is it's built well, once you dial the turrets full spectrum once or twice they have a good audible/tactile click. The high setting of illum in low light bleeds into the rest of the reticle but you can turn it down and find a good happy medium. I will take a bunch of pics and compaire it the the Mk4 6.5-20 w/ M5 turrets that I bought while waiting. Ill get back with the range report after next weekend!

SWFA Thanks again for the awesome group buy! Any total number of the group buy scopes sold?

To everyone that have received there scope from the second shipment and have not added tot he SWFA 5-20 pic thread it would be nice to see some new pics
laugh.gif

Aron-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mohonri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WOW 276799 Views! Is this a record breaking post on the Hide????!

Does SWFA do Black Friday/Cyber Monday/Thanksgiving/Christmas deals annually? </div></div>

We don't have any plans to right now.

<span style="font-weight: bold">What would y'all like to see?</span>

If we do something it would probably have to be from Black Friday thru Cyber Monday as our servers just could not handle another blitzkrieg order frenzy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">What would y'all like to see?</span></div></div>

I'd like to see a sale on the following:
Vortex 4-16x50 Viper PST 30mm FFP MOA/MOA
Burris Fast Fire
All mounts and rings

I can't afford these right now but a good sale would motivate me to find the money and finally purchase.

"Find the money" = mortgaging my future wages by slapping it all on plastic.

A 3 day sale on this same scope would be cool. Maybe even some rings.

How about a sale on IOR?

KT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought 4 of em, and the illumination bleeds into the rest of the reticle so badly, I thought the whole reticle was illuminated. Is that bad? What does. SWFA say about it? </div></div>

I'm glad I'm not the only one. If mine's the same as yours, it means they're working as designed and not broken. Unless we somehow got a bad batch and there are people out there without this problem.

I am absolutely delighted:
by SWFA and LL arranging this deal
by the SWFA service
by the scope I have received

I have no pictures, I don't even have the scope mounted to my LR308 flat top because I have yet to settle on a QD mount. I would be open to anyone with advise.

I also had a dim illumination (barely visible red dot at setting 11 while in darkness) but I put a new battery in it and the illumination is fabulous. It easily adjusts from a very tiny red dot up to a clear and sharp high-light of the central reticle.

Thank you!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mohonri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WOW 276799 Views! Is this a record breaking post on the Hide????!

Does SWFA do Black Friday/Cyber Monday/Thanksgiving/Christmas deals annually? </div></div>

If we do something it would probably have to be from Black Friday thru Cyber Monday as our servers just could not handle another blitzkrieg order frenzy.</div></div> I'm thinking the SWFA SS 1-4x with the doughnut reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mohonri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WOW 276799 Views! Is this a record breaking post on the Hide????!

If we do something it would probably have to be from Black Friday thru Cyber Monday as our servers just could not handle another blitzkrieg order frenzy.</div></div> I'm thinking the SWFA SS 1-4x with the doughnut reticle. </div></div>

This. I wonder how these compare on an AR-15 in the place of an Eotech. Label me intrigued.

W/E knobs update:

So I rotated the W/E knobs to full stop in each direction a few times as recommended by another member and now the knobs are a LOT better. Maybe there's grease in there that needed to be "distributed" by rotating the knobs or something but whatever the reason, the tactile/haptic and audible feedback in much improved. Using my completely unscientific method (my fingers and ears), I'd say that the SWFA SS W/E knobs now feel/sound about 90% of my S&B's. The SWFA SS W/E are a slight bit easier to turn (I'd say maybe 10-15% easier). I'm thoroughly satisfied with the SS SWFA W/E knob feedback.

I ordered mine on the last day of the promo and received it on Halloween. My question is on the illumination. On 5 power with a new fresh Energizer battery, outside at night, in dim moonlight, looking at a big dark rock 50 yards away, I couldn’t see the illumination until I was on the 6 setting. Is this acceptable?

Thanks,
Walt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>
I'm thinking the SWFA SS 1-4x with the doughnut reticle. </div></div>

That's what I'm thinking as well. I've got a 16" AR-10 that it would be perfect on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eightshot627</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered mine on the last day of the promo and received it on Halloween. My question is on the illumination. On 5 power with a new fresh Energizer battery, outside at night, in dim moonlight, looking at a big dark rock 50 yards away, I couldn’t see the illumination until I was on the 6 setting. Is this acceptable?

Thanks,
Walt
</div></div>

I believe they are designed to be used with night vision for the first 4 settings, so this would make sense. If you want to see the first 4 just pony up the $ for some NV gear.

This is in my mind actually a very good thing. The illumination is mostly in the usable range, instead of the lowest setting being too bright as is often the case. That, along with the "Spinal Tap" feature- the brightness goes to "11" dude.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: juslearnin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eightshot627</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered mine on the last day of the promo and received it on Halloween. My question is on the illumination. On 5 power with a new fresh Energizer battery, outside at night, in dim moonlight, looking at a big dark rock 50 yards away, I couldn’t see the illumination until I was on the 6 setting. Is this acceptable?

Thanks,
Walt
</div></div>

I believe they are designed to be used with night vision for the first 4 settings, so this would make sense. If you want to see the first 4 just pony up the $ for some NV gear.

This is in my mind actually a very good thing. The illumination is mostly in the usable range, instead of the lowest setting being too bright as is often the case. That, along with the "Spinal Tap" feature- the brightness goes to "11" dude. </div></div>

Quite possible that it's for NVG. I haven't looked up the specs, nor have I received mine yet.. so I can't confirm it for you with my PVS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eightshot627</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">On 5 power</span> with a new fresh Energizer battery, outside at night, in dim moonlight, looking at a big dark rock 50 yards away, I couldn’t see the illumination until I was on the 6 setting. Is this acceptable? </div></div>
Yes, that's perfectly acceptable. Keep in mind, with a FFP scope, when on the lower magnification settings the illumination needs to be on a higher setting for a given set of light conditions.

For 50 yd targets on 5X, even when it's fairly dark you'll want the illumination cranked up pretty high. If you crank up the magnification try and target a particular feature on a rock several hundred of yards away, you'll find you want to turn down the illumination so it doesn't wash out your view of the target (and the illumination will be visible at a much lower setting).

Where many illuminated scopes fall short is the latter scenario--even with the illumination on the lowest setting it's still too bright, interfering with your view of the target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon A</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eightshot627</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">On 5 power</span> with a new fresh Energizer battery, outside at night, in dim moonlight, looking at a big dark rock 50 yards away, I couldn’t see the illumination until I was on the 6 setting. Is this acceptable? </div></div>
Yes, that's perfectly acceptable. Keep in mind, with a FFP scope, when on the lower magnification settings the illumination needs to be on a higher setting for a given set of light conditions.

For 50 yd targets on 5X, even when it's fairly dark you'll want the illumination cranked up pretty high. If you crank up the magnification try and target a particular feature on a rock several hundred of yards away, you'll find you want to turn down the illumination so it doesn't wash out your view of the target (and the illumination will be visible at a much lower setting).

Where many illuminated scopes fall short is the latter scenario--even with the illumination on the lowest setting it's still too bright, interfering with your view of the target. </div></div>

This makes sense I'll check it out tonight.

Thanks!
Walt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongArm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ordered on the last day 17th I think at around 8-11pm, no word yet. SWFA said that they do have it and it will go out (sometime). No worries I just got my bolt back from the bolt knob group buy. So this should work out great. </div></div>

Well my shipment is in the next one that was listed as 7-14 days. After talking to another member here "Chance" who has one but didn't have a rifle to put it on at the time he offered to let have his and he'd take the mine when it comes in. What a guy!

Just wanted to say that the hide is a great place, this was an awesome group buy and if you ever get a chance to meet or deal with "Chance" he is a truly awesome guy and a very modest and unselfish man.

Thanks to all! Off to go shoot this tank of a scope.

I like the Burris Fastfire and HD 1-4 with Donut reticle or perhaps the Leupold Delta Point with 7MOA. I would love one on my 3 gun unlimited Saiga 12 ga.

Man, I'd hock something if the 1-4 with donut went on sale...

New here & first post. This group buy got me going.

Soooo, I'm guessing when FB reached 10,000
"likes", something obvious happens or not so much? Just trying to get my head around things.

Thanks

Mike

Nothing will happen the group buy was over in June. The 10,000 no longer applies.

Thanks,

I'm a little disappointed at my poor timing. This seemed like a very good value and it definitely pushed me towards a purchase decision where one didn't previously exist. I'll stay tuned.

Great site!

I placed my order on 6/17 @ ~9PM and just got the shipping notice in my inbox.

I think SWFA is finishing up the GB since I just got my notifier as well.