• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So... I need one like I need a hole in the head... But... opinions?

IMG_20170521_210245278.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170521_211150093.jpg
    IMG_20170521_211150093.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Finally picked my M45a1 up!

Attachments

• 20170605_185615.jpg
    20170605_185615.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 20170605_100134.jpg
    20170605_100134.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 55
Two buck chuck.... I have a $10 rule. No bottle of wine that costs more than $10. If it sucks, I pour it out and open another.

I've never found one that sucks.

Besides, you read this in the morning. At that hour, I was already working and not drinking red wine. Well, technically, I was drinking bourbon. Er... I mean... Coffee.

But color me snobby. It's not like my profile doesn't say I am a denizen of the House of Snobifery. Hell, I probably have a Bentley..

Cheers,

Sirhr

Never got to work on one a them new Bentley Continentals. Seem pretty cool tho. TT W12 right? And AWD. Bet its pretty fun to drive. If Im dropping big bucks though, its gonna be with the home team Proline Racing right up the road in Marietta. I dont know if any of yall keep up with Pro Mod, but Mr Petty and the PLR crew are the team(or should I say engine builders) to beat. PLR built Hemi(BAE block/heads) with twin Precision 98s or 102s is the baddest bitch in the world when it comes to door cars. Only thing faster at this point is a top fuel car or dragster(top alcohol dragsters/funny cars are still quicker ET than winning pro mods but with slower traps).

You and I are reasons gun dealers stay in business. I too never really consider what I can make off a gun by flipping it. Often, I'll make a little if and when I do sell them. But, I've yet to sell one for the big Bonanza. Like a guy who paid a hundred something for a collectable that sold for over ten grand. Estate sales are where dealers really make the killing.

I'm with you Sand!.... I haven't sold a gun in a long, long time. Except for helping some estates, nothing in my collection ever seems to go away.

Donated quite a few... some on display at the NRA Museum. And they're about to get another one.

But why sell something I can't replace? And while I don't flip things, the fact that the intrinsic value of something I can shoot, carry and enjoy continues to climb like a meteor... doesn't hurt!

All that said, if you have a significant collection, make sure you have a disposal plan... specifically so some local dealer does not come in and buy everything at ten cents on the dollar. Go through serial number by serial number, create a list and say HOW to dispose of things. Auction (and even WHICH auction company and if you have a lot of a similar model... spread over several years), donate, inherit by specific person, sell via local gun store with a pre-agreed commission, go to a CIII dealer or licensed auction... . What about ammunition, loading stuff, etc. I love my local gun dealer. But he isn't retiring on my collection at 10 cents on the dollar. That said, he will make out well -- by pre-arrangement.

Cheers,

Sirhr

P.S. I love it when I chide the better half for her shoe purchases. Her response is invariably "But you buy a lot of guns." To which I always point out that the minute the shoes leave the box, they are, in essence, worthless. Except as footwear. Bought right (and I rarely buy at inflated or even retail prices) every firearm increases in value as long as cared-for. And some, like these 1911's... well... that's the beauty of rarity and provenance, isn't it?

This is what happens if you never sell anything...not necessarily a bad thing.
6dNGZRil.jpg
n

Not my room, but I did steal the idea of hanging guns from the ceiling for my shop.

I'm with you Sand!.... I haven't sold a gun in a long, long time. Except for helping some estates, nothing in my collection ever seems to go away.

Donated quite a few... some on display at the NRA Museum. And they're about to get another one.

But why sell something I can't replace? And while I don't flip things, the fact that the intrinsic value of something I can shoot, carry and enjoy continues to climb like a meteor... doesn't hurt!

All that said, if you have a significant collection, make sure you have a disposal plan... specifically so some local dealer does not come in and buy everything at ten cents on the dollar. Go through serial number by serial number, create a list and say HOW to dispose of things. Auction (and even WHICH auction company and if you have a lot of a similar model... spread over several years), donate, inherit by specific person, sell via local gun store with a pre-agreed commission, go to a CIII dealer or licensed auction... . What about ammunition, loading stuff, etc. I love my local gun dealer. But he isn't retiring on my collection at 10 cents on the dollar. That said, he will make out well -- by pre-arrangement.

Cheers,

Sirhr

P.S. I love it when I chide the better half for her shoe purchases. Her response is invariably "But you buy a lot of guns." To which I always point out that the minute the shoes leave the box, they are, in essence, worthless. Except as footwear. Bought right (and I rarely buy at inflated or even retail prices) every firearm increases in value as long as cared-for. And some, like these 1911's... well... that's the beauty of rarity and provenance, isn't it?

Like most things in life, having a plan, when you can afford to do it, time or money-wise, is going to work a lot better than not. Like, why do you bust your ass working and taking care of family, only to see it squandered away when it comes time to help them? I'm already in the realization my kids don't appreciate the guns I've acquired and why. Mostly from historical ties to conflicts around the world. But, I also love the peace time firearms that have been turned into a working piece of art.

FWIW, my better half has a closet full of "nothing to wear" along with the closet floor completely covered with "shoes that don't match anything. I suggested I do her clothes shopping for her, but that ain't happenin';):eek:...:cool:
Save

Last edited:
This is what happens if you never sell anything...not necessarily a bad thing.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/6dNGZRil.jpg"}[/IMG2]n

Not my room, but I did steal the idea of hanging guns from the ceiling for my shop.

Buffalo,

That is just flat out AWESOME!

This reminds me of a guy out in NV with a GIANT Springfield collection. When I got the tour, he had so many in his overflow room that we had to pick and stack to get to the back of the room!:D:D:D
Save

Reactions: lash
Rock Island auctioned one of these yesterday.....

From the CMP board

"One of the NIB Marine Colts sold at the RocK Island Auction for $8000.00 plus buyers premium. I think everyone just raised their price on Gunbroker. Crazy"

It has always seemed to me that the bidders on the CMP auctions have money to burn.

It was a Rock Island Auction. Where the high end stuff goes if Amoskeag isnt running or vice versa.

I agree though auctions tend to bring out the emotions or pride in people.

I just joined SH last week and just came across this thread now. Man I wish I knew about these back in March. :(

So today I see one of the commercial Colts that is marked Colt M45A1 on one side. Has US markings on the other just like the pic on page 1 Sirhr posted. Will have to look if the serial ends in EGA. has some very different finish, in 2 tone. Looks more like anodized on the slide and something else, not cerakote on the frame
Also besides being shot a good bit, has some other not insignificant marring inside the serrations on the rear of the slide and an "idiot" scratch.

I read pmclaine say these were made in the Colt Custom shop before it was shut. Trigger was unreal.

Anyways, at $950 it seems a bit steep for the abuse it appears to have undergone. I have used pistols that have been in and out of holsters a lot, banged around, and shot a ton and none of them looked like this, some despite being well used before I got them.

Thought about it, then saw the series 70 with high polish flats in 9mm at the other end of the case........ Much prettier pistol.

So a handful of these have come on the market... these are USMC Recon/Special Ops 1911's.

32efd89d-a31f-47cd-b127-ffee9f3b29e4.jpg

They are USMC marked. M45A1 Colt's. $1350.

I can't imagine that these aren't a good investment. U.S. stamped. NM barrels. CQBP spec. Carried by USMC Spec. ops. in Afghanistan.

This has to be a pistol worth owning...

Cheers,

Sirhr

Like you, my “want” can sometimes overpower my “need”. Having said that I think that’s a legit collector piece. Not so much because of it’s monetary value, but for the hours you’ll spend thinking about where it’s been. Plus 45s are more betterer than other pistols.

Reactions: sandwarrior
Just reviving a necro thread because I see these are now one of the Colt Grail pieces…

Almost $10k? Some have sold for more.

Everyone here still have theirs? Phil? BW?

Yup, still have mine!

Sirhr

I fired it but other stuff usually comes out of the safe.

I really like the double spring set up on these. I know the Commanders I tend to take are snappier with the shorter barrel but the M45 has a nice feel to it when shooting.

They definitely turned out to be a hell of an investment for the guys that bought them early. I was on the fence, but when they passed the WWII models quickly in price decided that I'd invest in other examples. Turned out that I didn't do as well as I could have with the M45s.

I still have several NIB Colt Custom Shop M45A1s that I bought in the 2018-2019 era. They turned out to be decent investments too. Still, with prices "only" nearly doubling, they are nothing like the deissued M45s.

Don't feel bad... I toted up my 'in process' and 'waiting' projects and realized that I'll get them done when I am 146 years old.

Cheers,

Sirhr

im wary of the frame. its not like a project i can go pick up after the kids are in bed, start filing and fit a grip safety, etc. I damn near need a hazmat suit. i have half a mind to do another one also, but just use a blued frame and hone my skills on that one.

I missed the boat on the M45A1 decom's, but I did end up with one of the RARE USMC marked custom shop pieces.
When the SIG M17 decom's came out of service...I made sure I did NOT miss the boat on those. I have pleanty and they all have the FOIA paperwork stating their history. Two track back to the 101st and one is a 3-digit serial number.

im wary of the frame. its not like a project i can go pick up after the kids are in bed, start filing and fit a grip safety, etc. I damn near need a hazmat suit. i have half a mind to do another one also, but just use a blued frame and hone my skills on that one.

Drive up here… We’ll do together on my mill. Can do wet.

After June 20 calendar is gtg.

Really, Come on up!

Sirhr

Remember buying a Winchester M1 Garand years ago from CMP and thought, Jesus I just spent way too much money for a rifle!

Wish I would have bought ten now.

Since I unfortunately lost my WWII USGI 1911A1, I did pick up a Argentine M1927 that had been scrubbed and slightly modified. Decided I'll use it for the retro MEU(SOC)-inspired build I've been wanting to do. Not sure when I'll get around to it but it'll be a fun little project when I do.

Just reviving a necro thread because I see these are now one of the Colt Grail pieces…

Almost $10k? Some have sold for more.

Everyone here still have theirs? Phil? BW?

Yup, still have mine!

Sirhr

I bought 9 of the decommissioned M45A1's when they were originally released on Gunbroker, I only have 4 of them left. I really wish I had bought more! I currently have 2 new in box and 2 used (have documentation on the units that had the used ones). I sold/traded/gave away the other 5 pistols over the past however many years it's been since they were released for sale. I think the 5 I no longer have were 2 new in box and 3 used. I actually traded one of the pistols to a friend for a legit USMC MARSOC used KAC M110K1 upper (he got the upper from Reed Knight, so it's the real deal). The USMC surplus M45A1 stuff has been a lot of fun!

So a discussion in the Armory reminded me about this cool thread and all our great scores.

Here's a question for all you guys... Thinking I'd like to acquire some of the 'kit' that goes with this.

What would the raiders have been issuing for holster, belt, mag pouches, light, cleaning kit, cardboard ammo box, etc. for these. It's not really a complete military package without the gear that went with it. Anyone out there who can post the full 'kit?'

Thinking that there might be a bunch of that gear floating around surplus now and not as 'collectible' as the pistols. Yet.

Inquiring minds want to know!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Safari land makes the holster. It’s available on the site.

I bought the “issue” style but prefer standard AlS thumb lever styles without the top strap.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I set mine up for a GCode wheel.

Gate guard PMO higher ups and the Civilian Marine Corps Police SRT also carried these.

There wasn’t a whole lot. When I was issued mine, it was:
10x Wilson Combat 47D magazines
Surefire X300 Ultra
Safariland Holster (I can’t remember the item number, but drop leg panel included)
Otis cleaning kit (the one I was issued was marked M45)

Belt/mag pouches were all already issued to us as part of the FSBE gear kit, and didn’t come with the pistol. But the kit had 6x “Pouch, Magazine, .45 Single” MC-S45P-MS-COY

Belt that most of us used was a personal purchase riggers belt, anywhere from PX purchase to HSGI, etc. Issued belt was a condor/lbt/eagle battle belt, but it wasn’t load bearing so you couldn’t use it for HRST ops, so it was rarely used.

Pistol lanyard was a Blackhawk off the shelf unit. Unit level issue.

That’s how recon units stocked it to my memory. Raiders (MARSOC) had even less non-standard kit, but would have likely been issued the same base level gear, with additional unit purchase issue on top of that.

Last edited:
There wasn’t a whole lot. When I was issued mine, it was:
10x Wilson Combat 47D magazines
Surefire X300 Ultra
Safariland Holster (I can’t remember the item number, but drop leg panel included)
Otis cleaning kit (the one I was issued was marked M45)

Belt/mag pouches were all already issued to us as part of the FSBE gear kit, and didn’t come with the pistol. But the kit had 6x “Pouch, Magazine, .45 Single” MC-S45P-MS-COY

Belt that most of us used was a personal purchase riggers belt, anywhere from PX purchase to HSGI, etc. Issued belt was a condor/lbt/eagle battle belt, but it want load bearing so you could use it for HRST ops, so it was rarely used.

Pistol lanyard was a Blackhawk off the shelf unit. Unit level issue.

That’s how recon units stocked it to my memory. Raiders (MARSOC) had even less non/standard kit, but would have likely been issues the same base level gear, with additional unit purchase issue on top of that.

Thanks! Not only interesting but a valuable addition to the thread!

Sirhr

Here’s a pictures of a good buddies one before they went back to colt. You can see the drop leg holster setup in the background. Interesting enough, I’ve never seen any of the 2D recon guns up for auction. All were early 5 digit serials with none past the 018XXEGA range. Earliest was had was a 010XXEGA serial.

I remember finding out about these about 4-5 months after they came out, and not having the income to get one fresh out of the corps. I’ll finally have to start looking for a low serial one this year.

Oh, and if anyone knows of or comes across 01263EGA….that one was my issued piece.

Attachments

• IMG_6007.jpeg
    IMG_6007.jpeg
    672.9 KB · Views: 30
Here’s a pictures of a good buddies one before they went back to colt. You can see the drop leg holster setup in the background. Interesting enough, I’ve never seen any of the 2D recon guns up for auction. All were early 5 digit serials with none past the 018XXEGA range. Earliest was had was a 010XXEGA serial.

I remember finding out about these about 4-5 months after they came out, and not having the income to get one fresh out of the corps. I’ll finally have to start looking for a low serial one this year.

Oh, and if anyone knows of or comes across 01263EGA….that one was my issued piece.

So was there love for these when issued them?

I hear both love and hate stories.

@pmclaine they were well received, but Recon battalions had been using 1911’s in the form of the MEUSOC pistols for quite a while, so it wasn’t much of a transition. Sure the finish wore, but they were stainless underneath so much less prone to rusting. I heard very few bad things about them.

Marsoc was a different story, but they also had more options. It wasn’t a choice between the M9A1 and M45A1 CQBP, they had glocks as well at the time. Most guys I knew carried the glocks at a 2:1 ratio to the 1911’s.

@USMCSGT0331 awesome! Did you ever FOIA that one? 01070EGA was a 2nd Recon gun, as was 01106EGA, so pretty well bracketed.

Last edited:
Reactions: pmclaine