• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes So, what about Leupold Mark 5 ?

I continue to be impressed with mine. It drew first blood along with my 224 Valkyrie on and groundhog yesterday with a headshot.

Euro Optic has most of these in stock and currently 13% off by using code OPTICS13, link below:

Leupold Mark 5's in stock with 13% off

Mihb4hU.jpg

Reactions: Wyzrd and 5RWill
If only they had a SKMR3 or even something reminiscent of a SKMR. Though looking at the T3 it certainly looks less cluttered than the H59

The T3 is just a H59 with the .2 hashes on the undersides of horizontals removed and wind dots added. I love the wind dot system and find the rows of dots break the reticle up nicely.

I also don't find a H59 "cluttered". I think most people who say cluttered are looking at the pics of them with white backgrounds, the pics/drawings are nothing like actually using the reticle.

I have a problem which I'm not sure what it's called, other than possible retardation, where I can't look at things like chain link fences or anything like that, and I have no problem looking at a Horus reticle. They work and they work great.

And another groundhog just a little bit ago.

AWO8EKJ.jpg

I find it cluttered but my dislike of the H59 stems from more or less from lack of practice. I will say i hate it for hunting. It obscures a ton of the the bottom of the FOV. H59 is also a tad thick. I'm just saying though Leupold could use something like a G2/G3, EBR2C/EBR7B, or SKMR/3 at no upcharge.

I will say i hate it for hunting. It obscures a ton of the the bottom of the FOV.

I've used Horus reticles for years for hunting and have never found this to be a problem, our military is slowly switching over to Horus stuff for people hunting too. It's an aiming apparatus, not a spotting scope or binoculars. It's just a grid so you can easily see through it, it's not like it's a solid blob that makes the lower half of the FOV useless. If it's an issue then ID with one of the upper quadrants and make the shot with the reticle, or better yet carry a spotter or binos so you're not aiming a weapon at something you're not intent on shooting.

A Horus is worth its weight in gold for night hunting.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
That’s a fair point. Again my dislike probably stems from lack of practice. I had no illumination of either of those models with the h59 hunting and that’s when i hated the grid in low light. Which now I’ve got a dedicated short rifle for hunting so was kind of mispuposed for my comp rifle anyway.

I see your point though.

That’s a fair point. Again my dislike probably stems from lack of practice. I had no illumination of either of those models with the h59 hunting and that’s when i hated the grid in low light. Which now I’ve got a dedicated short rifle for hunting so was kind of mispuposed for my comp rifle anyway.

I see your point though.

Those last few minutes of dusk can certainly be a little hard to pick it up, no doubt. I've got a few S&B's with them and they're all illuminated so it's been a non issue the times I've used them for evening hunting. Most of my hunting is varmint or predator hunting which is done during the day or at night with a clip on so illumination isn't used and therefor isn't required equipment for my uses. Sometimes black reticles can be hard to use on black hot but that's as simple to clicking to white hot to make the shot, has nothing to do with being a Horus or not though.

I been working with the TreMoR3 on some coyote hunts and the reticle is really working for me. I really like the fact that all i need is range/elevation and if i got a handle on the wind, use the wind dots for hold. The system is so much faster than ranging, getting elevation call, dialing elevation and then figuring out my wind hold. Dot's very useful when a coyote is moving. All I need from my partner is new elevation and I hold the wind dot. Plus my eyes arent what they once were and I'm saving precious seconds not having to make sure i dial correct elevation.

I'm really liking the TReMor3 for hunting and if I pull trigger on a Mark 5, it will have the TreMor3 reticle.

The T3 is just a H59 with the .2 hashes on the undersides of horizontals removed and wind dots added. I love the wind dot system and find the rows of dots break the reticle up nicely.

I also don't find a H59 "cluttered". I think most people who say cluttered are looking at the pics of them with white backgrounds, the pics/drawings are nothing like actually using the reticle.

I have a problem which I'm not sure what it's called, other than possible retardation, where I can't look at things like chain link fences or anything like that, and I have no problem looking at a Horus reticle. They work and they work great.

And another groundhog just a little bit ago.

AWO8EKJ.jpg
It is likely some version of the Bucha effect. It is triggered by strobe lights or repeating high contrast patterns. Horus reticles would not trigger that.

ILya

Anyone done a review on the 5-25 yet? Glass quality?

Edit: Never mind, I went back a page and did some reading...I was just being lazy before posting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5RWill and Bender
I ran mine side by side with one of my S&B 5-25's tonight comparing them both behind an Omega tubed L3 M2124LR clip on. There was little to no discernible difference in image resolution between the two optics with the clip on. This surprised me, the glass in these optics is fantastic.

21IjT8S.jpg

I thought the the same redneck. Glad to hear the 3.6-18 isn't disappointing you. I see guys who haven't used the MK5 condemning it in certain circles but it's starting to really gain some traction i think.

I thought the the same redneck. Glad to hear the 3.6-18 isn't disappointing you. I see guys who haven't used the MK5 condemning it in certain circles but it's starting to really gain some traction i think.
I took my long time friend shooting out to 1000, his first time. needless to say he got hooked. Afterwords we went out for lunch and he was already planning his own long range set up, we went to the local gun store and they had a MK 5 5-25 in the show case, we compared it to a vortex, and a night force atacr. He liked the Mk 5 the best. Even though we barely had any time with them. He sent me a message last night that he is ordering the MK 5 today. Even though he hasn’t even picked out his rifle yet. Lol. I was very impressed with it, surprised how light it was given it’s size. Much lighter than my Weaver 6-30x56, it felt it weighed half! For its price, the MK 5 is going to be tough to beat.

I got my 3.6 in today, it’s h59. I compared it side by side with my SB 5-20 US h59. And they are very comparable, which made me feel good about the leupold but mixed with my SB. There are more things I like on leupold than SB, I will stop right here.

Reactions: Bender and 5RWill
I got my 3.6 in today, it’s h59. I compared it side by side with my SB 5-20 US h59. And they are very comparable, which made me feel good about the leupold but mixed with my SB. There are more things I like on leupold than SB, I will stop right here.

You weren’t kidding, I just picked up his S&B from him lol. I’m interested to hear your thoughts as you get more experience with it. I am contemplating the 3.6-18 for an 6.5 CM AR.

I borrowed a buddy's Mark 5 this weekend for a PRS competition and I was very impressed. I was shooting the 5-25 with the TMR reticle on my brand new 6 Dasher. I thought the glass was excellent, it was super easy to set the zero stop on the turret (thankfully since I really didn't have any instructions to work with!), it tracked perfectly all weekend chasing targets in gusty winds out to 1100 yards, loved the feel of the turret 'clicks' and they lined up perfectly all weekend, and it seemed to have a very comfortable eye box. Now granted, my nearly 50 year old eyes aren't the greatest and have gotten worse over the last years, but I lined up the Mark 5 next to a NF 7-35 a couple of times and nothing stood out to me as drastically different. Well, the TMR reticle could use an update/improvement but everything else I was super happy with. At least one 'sponsored' shooter of another scope manufacturer also commented on how good he thought the scope looked. Now, I just need to pick up my own (or see if my buddy will just forget he loaned me this one! Just kidding - thanks Michael!!).

If anybody is in need of a quality 35mm 1.5" high 0moa mount, Badger Ordnance is making them. Here's the link to the mount at Euro Optic. You can backorder through the website or by calling Jason.

Badger Ordnance 35mm 1 Piece Unimount Ultra High Zero cant Aluminum 306-160

I confirmed with Badger who said they're in production and will be available in two weeks. Allowing them a little extra time and to ship out to dealers a month would be a conservative estimation.

These are 1.50" height which is ideal for gas guns and rifles with continuous rails and those who wish to run night vision and/or thermal clip on devices in conjunction. I also measured and confirmed that the ring spacing is adequate for the MK5 models.

Great review. I'm getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger on a 5-25 CCH. I wish they went with 34mm so I can reuse my rings.

Reactions: 5RWill
There are plenty of gen 1 Razor rings/mounts out in the wild. Try and snag one from a scope in the PX before the optic sells!

Arc, seekins, nightforce ultralites the list goes on. Basically all the top mounting options are available in 35mm. I just can’t decide which one to throw on my 6.5cm. The 3.6-18 is might tempting but not sure how much I’ll miss the extra 7x on the top end.

Good info here guys. Been kinda on the fence for a few weeks about the Mark 5 (vs the AMG), but it was growing one me. I got to fondle and drool on one finally this week. Walked into Cabela's in Boise and they had a 5-25 TMR. I really liked the feel, the weight is nice and turrets, a Leupy with a quality zero stop? Whaaaat? Glass looks good (of course only saw inside the building only) I talked to Mile High and they dropped a special today (in the px) soo.... Ordered up the 5-25 T3. (with the Spuhr mount) What the hell, why not. So, thanks for all the reviews and info!

Reactions: Bender
Holy crap! That is a good deal. I was planning on holding off, but at that price I may just jump now.

Reactions: Stpilot12
I wish I liked the reticles offered on the MK5 - the 3.5-18 would be perfect for the MK12ish rifle I'm putting together, compact, light weight, and the MHS deal is wonderful. free bump for Leupold for moving in the right direction and the folks at Mile High!

I did a little shooting today with mine mounted up on my 224 Valkyrie, did a short low light evaluation, and then clipped the LWTS in front of it and was watching deer over 900 yards away in dark.

I'm very impressed with the scope thus far.

snLfPEH.jpg

I need NV in my life! That’s sick.

Looks like Joe wrote a review. Reading it now.
http://dmr-llc.com/?p=1441

My thoughts on the Mark 5 mirror my initial impressions and hope more like this is to come! The above center “0” mark still hasn’t grown on me and the CCH is cooler than the TMR but I genuinely like the scope. I will keep people updated on any issues or failures I may experience.

I sum it up like this, the Mark 5 is a Glock 17 and my Hensoldt is a family heirloom 1911. Which would you shoot more?

I finally got the chance to handle a Mark 5 5-25 and wow, I was impressed. I was comparing it to a Razor HD and an Atacr. To me (I’m the leading expert in glass and my time behind top tier scopes is limited) the glass was all pretty similar, weight the Mark 5 won hands down (especially compared to the Razor) and the elevation clicks were more audible and tactile. Leupold has really done a great job with this and has me wanting one.

Those of you who have been behind these, how is the chromatic aberration? I am talking middle of the day, look at a bright white target and what do you see? That’s the only thing that is concerning me at this point.

Ugh...my pockets feel a lot lighter now (but I just couldn't pass up the current deal from MHS). I'll let you know what I think of the 5-25 in a few days.

Those of you who have been behind these, how is the chromatic aberration? I am talking middle of the day, look at a bright white target and what do you see? That’s the only thing that is concerning me at this point.

Controlled very well at least in the 5-25. It's there but it's very faint. There is horizontal CA, I.E. Breaking cheekweld but that is pretty noticeable among many optics high priced or not. K624i in particular was bad about that, i never got to look through my k624i at home on the range in well lit conditions so i can't comment on how bad it exhibited CA but looking at it at my apartment on a concrete light poll at 150yds or so it was pretty evident.

The Mark 5 outside of reticle limitations is probably the best scope for 2000-2300 (if you don't need illum) money can buy right now IMHO. DMR II pro is likely to replace that but the MK5 is still a hard contender. I'll add once again that i wish the turrets were a little better but they're not bad by any means.

My long review is on page 11
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...t-leupold-mark-5.6869995/page-11#post-6948253

Reactions: just browsing
Whats the verdict on the Leupold mk6 IMS 35mm mount for an AR-15? Looking at the mk5 3.6-18 for a 6.5 Grendel AR-15 rifle... so its either the IMS or the AAdmount - but trying to keep the weight down.

Still undecided on reticle. Tend to not like horus type reticles, but the TMR is kinda lacking, so thinking the CCH. Going through the LE/Mil program.

Whats the verdict on the Leupold mk6 IMS 35mm mount for an AR-15? Looking at the mk5 3.6-18 for a 6.5 Grendel AR-15 rifle... so its either the IMS or the AAdmount - but trying to keep the weight down.

Still undecided on reticle. Tend to not like horus type reticles, but the TMR is kinda lacking, so thinking the CCH. Going through the LE/Mil program.

IMO the Leupold rings are OK but the one piece mounts are a little shitty. I’ve used a few and they all needed lapping.

Badger makes a 35mm 1.5” height unimount with forward offset for AR’s. Euro Optic has them on order and they’re due in very soon. I linked it a page or so back in this thread.

IMO the Leupold rings are OK but the one piece mounts are a little shitty. I’ve used a few and they all needed lapping.

Badger makes a 35mm 1.5” height unimount with forward offset for AR’s. Euro Optic has them on order and they’re due in very soon. I linked it a page or so back in this thread.

Thanks! just placed my order with europtic. On backorder, so hopefully they have more coming.

Thanks! just placed my order with europtic. On backorder, so hopefully they have more coming.

Yep they should be in route, Badger Ordnance was anodizing the batch as of last week. I know they had a few on order but if for some reason you don't get one on the batch you can have mine as I'm not really in a hurry.

Yep they should be in route, Badger Ordnance was anodizing the batch as of last week. I know they had a few on order but if for some reason you don't get one on the batch you can have mine as I'm not really in a hurry.
What a nice guy!! We got a great community here

Thanks! Probably not much of a rush on my end either, im assuming ordering new release scopes via leupolds le/mil program will take awhile

Thanks! Probably not much of a rush on my end either, im assuming ordering new release scopes via leupolds le/mil program will take awhile
How long ago did you put in your order? I am about to put one in but can’t decide between the 3-18 or 5-25 h59. I’m going to be putting the one I decide on an Manners TA elite 18” 6.5 creed Impact I am in the process of building. I’m trying to make it a lightweight prs/hunting type setup. Can I get some thoughts?

How long ago did you put in your order? I am about to put one in but can’t decide between the 3-18 or 5-25 h59. I’m going to be putting the one I decide on an Manners TA elite 18” 6.5 creed Impact I am in the process of building. I’m trying to make it a lightweight prs/hunting type setup. Can I get some thoughts?

I haven't placed the order yet - maybe tomorrow. I would go for th 5-25 for that built. I'm sticking to the 3.6-18 since its going on a 6.5 grendel AR-15.... keep it light and compact. For a long range bolt gun in a manners stock, i'm going 5-25 all day.

Got my 5-25 T3 as well. Initially, the zero stop button kind of threw me off (thinking, why in the hell would they do that?), but after reading the zeroing instructions, it makes total sense now.

Glass is about on par with the Gen II Razors I have, but overall feels significantly lighter than the Vortexes.

This is also my first Spuhr mount. Crap, talk about a nice mount!

I’d go 3.6-18 for that. 18x is more than plenty and you’re building a pretty short and light rifle.

Got my 5-25 T3 as well. Initially, the zero stop button kind of threw me off (thinking, why in the hell would they do that?), but after reading the zeroing instructions, it makes total sense now.

Glass is about on par with the Gen II Razors I have, but overall feels significantly lighter than the Vortexes.

This is also my first Spuhr mount. Crap, talk about a nice mount!

Yeah only had mine outside for a few minutes yesterday, but intial impression had some wow factor. I was also thinking it was at least as clear or actually better than my GII Razor. The Leupy is going on my DTA and my Kahles is getting bumped over to my new Tikka, planning on going out tomorrow to re-zero both so I'll have a chance run them side by side. I really like the Kahles 624i, its been my goto for a few years, so we shall see how Mr Leupold does in the field. This my first experience with a Tremor reticle, should be interesting...

Sphur is a nice set up... Solid and simple. My third Sphur. :oops:

Also, as soon as the new Snipershide scope tracking targets arrive I'll be testing the Leupy. My old Mark 4 ER actually tracked spot on, all the way to 10.2 mils... Cuz thats all it had. lol :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ravenyzf-r6