• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes So, what about Leupold Mark 5 ?

So what are some of the long term opinions on the Mk5. I know they are still new, but for those of you who have had your 3.6-18x44 for a little while, are you still enjoying it as much as before? Any issues pop up? I’m still considering either this or the NF 4-16x44 Atacr F1. It will be on a work rifle that is used at all times of day and night. Don’t yet have clip on NVG. We are lucky to have PVS 14’s. Proble, isn’t I need 2 scopes. So first thought was an M5 and the Bushnell LRHSI from GAP. I would only be a few hundred over just the ATACR by itself. Biggest concern for now is low light, think DARK, and need for illumination.

So, are there any opinions that have changed for the better or worse? I’ve actually read all 16 pages over the last 2 days and it seams as though some are getting some that aren’t as good as originally reported, or possibly that quality is starting to slip now that they are flying off the shelves so fast.

I think most of the negative opinions or changing are of the small one. I continually see the 5-25x56 on more and more people's rifles, with little to no complaints. The small MK5 is really the only one i've seen at all have reviews that vary from person to person. The 5-25 has garnished praise from pretty much everyone on the totem poll from Frank and Mike to local smiths that i know to little ole me. I think there has to be some realistic expectations when considering the 3.6-18. Mainly the design is going to worsen optical errors, that is just the price you pay. There isn't an optic on the market of that size and weight in that magnification range. There are some that are close, but still larger than it. So you're going to see a little CA, especially considering the 5-25 exhibits some, albeit it very little, you're going to likely have a tighter eyebox through the magnification range over it's bigger brother, and most of all it's going to suffer in low light compared to it's bigger brother. That said what they set out to achieve with the Mark 5 (mainly remedying the MK6) they've done. From what i'm told and judging by Bill's comparison above, low light performance is great for the size of the optic, eyebox has been fixed versus the MK6, and obviously the turrets are a huge upgrade over the MK6. Is all that worth $1700-1900? Well that's up to you, i personally would want it for $1500 or so. I paid $1750 for my Mark 6 and hated that optic for the reasons i just listed that would have me buying a 3.6-18 MK5. Honestly i still want it, it is the perfect DMR/SPR scope in my mind.

Has anybody compared the 3.6-18 MK5 head to head with the Razor 3-18?

I’m wondering how they compare in low light in the bottom maginfication range.

See wjm's post above, about the low light performance of the MK5 against the AMG.

Reactions: Blackfoot 7
So what are some of the long term opinions on the Mk5. I know they are still new, but for those of you who have had your 3.6-18x44 for a little while, are you still enjoying it as much as before? Any issues pop up? I’m still considering either this or the NF 4-16x44 Atacr F1. It will be on a work rifle that is used at all times of day and night. Don’t yet have clip on NVG. We are lucky to have PVS 14’s. Proble, isn’t I need 2 scopes. So first thought was an M5 and the Bushnell LRHSI from GAP. I would only be a few hundred over just the ATACR by itself. Biggest concern for now is low light, think DARK, and need for illumination.

So, are there any opinions that have changed for the better or worse? I’ve actually read all 16 pages over the last 2 days and it seams as though some are getting some that aren’t as good as originally reported, or possibly that quality is starting to slip now that they are flying off the shelves so fast.

Edit: I forgot to add that I get mil/Leo discount so that is what is driving some of the price differences so much.

I've had no complaints with my 5-25. It tracks well, and glass has been pretty good. If you get one, and for some reason think something is wrong, Leupold will back their product. Being LEO helps as well. If you go this route, and have an issue, let me know via PM. I'll send you the email of the LEO/MIL sales rep.

Reactions: vol375
Has anybody compared the 3.6-18 MK5 head to head with the Razor 3-18?

I’m wondering how they compare in low light in the bottom maginfication range.
I don't know about the Razor Gen II 3-18 but I did some preliminary low light tests side by side with a S&B Ultra Short 3-20 and was surprised at how well the Mark 5 3.6-18 fared in comparison, even at 44mm vs 50mm objectives it was hard to notice a discernible difference. Usually I chalk up the marketing hype to mostly clever ways to describe your product in order to encourage sales; however, this comment from Leupold's Mark 5 page -
...the Twilight Max HD Light Management System combines exceptional light transmission and glare management to provide vivid, bright, high contrast images from dawn until dusk.
certainly rings true for it's low light performance, the one detriment would be that during bright sunlit situations, at times the image seems a little washed out, with other scopes I was able to discern a bit more contrast/detail but it's doubtful anyone would notice in real world situations when you're not comparing side by side; I am not sure if this was a side effect of designing the system to perform so well in low light situations or? Part of the difficulty I've found of late is that the majority of the $1k and up scopes these days are getting so good that I have to look much harder to find minute differences. Eye doctor says my eyes are still great with 20/15 vision but I am a year shy of 50 so it could be that my ability to discern these differences is getting harder and harder. So please take what I'm saying with a grain of salt, these are "my" observations and "my" opinions and should only be taken in light of the collection of experience from the community.

Anyone got a comparison of the MK6 3-18 vs the MK5HD 3.6-18?

Has anyone ordered directly from them with their leo/mil pricing? I'm just curious how long of a wait it was. If no one knows I can always just call Monday and ask, but I'm currently on a work trip so cell service is kind of a pain in the ass.

Has anyone ordered directly from them with their leo/mil pricing? I'm just curious how long of a wait it was. If no one knows I can always just call Monday and ask, but I'm currently on a work trip so cell service is kind of a pain in the ass.
I ordered via the mil pricing program and had the scope at my door about a week later. As long as they have it in stock should be a similar turnaround, but calling to check is never a bad idea.

Anyone else notice some very noticeable CA with the 3-18 model?
I’ve only had mine out once. Didn’t really notice any. I’m going out again tomorrow, hopefully, and I’ll get a better look.

What kind of target/background are you noticing it on?

Anyone else notice some very noticeable CA with the 3-18 model?
Mine exhibited noticeable CA with high contrast objects that stress CA performance, but we don't often shoot at these, you might see some fringing with white targets and dark backgrounds, I also caught some with fence posts and rocks. The K318i also exhibits some CA but it's softer than the Mark 5 Shorty, when comparing side by side, the Mark 5 may show a strong magenta band along an edge where the K318i shows a soft band.

My review is now up on opticsthoughts.com, what's cool is that ILya just posted his review and video less than a week ago so you can get a good idea of what we both think of the Mark 5 3.6-18x44

http://opticsthoughts.com/?p=2296

Big thank you to ILya, for giving me the opportunity to post on his site and improve on my presentation.

Thanks for the review Bill. Your article is well done and informative, hopefully we will be offered more review like this in the future.

Great write up Bill. Wont lie towards the end i thought i might be diving into a preview of your thoughts on the k318i, which i'm still eager to hear.

Great write up Bill. Wont lie towards the end i thought i might be diving into a preview of your thoughts on the k318i, which i'm still eager to hear.
These reviews take a while to put together and the K318i is still too fresh. I was hoping the ZC420 would be here soon but with no pricing even yet announced I'm not sure when it's coming, my goal was to do a tier 1 ultra short review with the Schmidt, Kahles and ZCO but can't do that until the ZCO comes.

Considering Mark 5 3.6-18 (illum TMR ~$1650) or Vortex Razor 3-18 (other forum member selling $1500)....
Which one better for the price? Any comments on these two scope? Many thanks!

Last edited:
Considering Mark 5 3.6-18 (illum TMR ~$1650) or Vortex Razor 3-18 (other forum member selling $1500)....
Which one better for the price? Any comments on these two scope? Many thanks!
Where can you find an illuminated TMR for $1650? That is a crazy good price if so. I have not handled a Razor Gen II 3-18 but everything about the Gen II's is top tier, the only issue is weight, the Leupold is going to be considerably lighter and shorter, but I would imagine the Gen II would be better optically.

Wrote a review on my Mk5s... I, no shit, sold my other optics and went full retard.

This is a cut and paste from a word doc I wrote. Judge away, Primus lol...

They’re baaaaack!!!

Leupold has created a monster! The new Mark 5HD series of tactical rifle scopes is, dare I say, the most feature-filled, best bang-for-your-buck tactical optic out there. It features 5X+ magnification in First Focal Plane (FFP) with two initial offerings- a 3.6-18 x 44 and a 5-25x56, both with a 35mm maintube.
5-25x56- It boasts 35 mils of elevation. The weight is pretty light- just 30oz and 15.7” long
3.6-18x44- 29 mils of elevation, 26oz and a very compact 12.1” in length

The above is a snapshot of the features that are also the differences between the two. Everything else is virtually the same.

Please read below for my personal thoughts on this fine optic:

Optics/Glass: Clarity is superior. Top tier. Period. Ask any scope snob and those who REALLY know what they’re talking about will tell you that while glass is certainly important, the coatings are equally so. Leupold’s HD coatings are truly a noticeable improvement over that of the Mark 4 and even the 6 and 8!!! You’ll most likely see the difference when you use one. I’ve owned a Vortex Razor an AMG, two Steiner MX5Is to name a few premier optics I can objectively compare these to. Its right there, folks!!! Seriously! I spoke with some Leupold folks to help me make a choice between my last 5-25 Mk5 and the Mk8 3.5-25. I was told the coatings on the Mk5 make the glass brighter. Sold!
Eyebox/Eye Relief/Optical Lens etc.: Generous, forgiving. Adjustment is a simple twist. Exit pupil and eye relief is GTG.
Parallax: Side adjustment. It works as expected. It appears to actually be adjustable… There’s a set screw on the dial.
Illumination: Optional… And I opted out. Pointless for all but true tactical/operational use IMHO.
Reticle (s): I own two 3.6-18s with TMRs, and one 5-25 with the CCH reticle. Reticles are a very personal thing I think.
TMR- I like the TMR for a clean yet usable milling option. I prefer the open center of my two 3.6-18s… be advised however, that if you choose an illuminated version, the center will not be open.
CCH- this is a homerun for Leupold. It was designed with feedback from professional shooters, for professional shooters. It is a “Christmas-tree” design of sorts for holding over if/when the situation calls for it, and it also has chevrons on the lateral stadia, indication holds for moving targets! Very cool and very usable.

To reiterate, all reticles/scopes in the Leupold Mk 5 Line are in the FFP

Turrets: I love the turrets. I had some apprehension before I decided to make my order. My experience with the M1, M5 and CDS (gen 1) turrets has been that they track well but have a somewhat mushy, inaudible quality to them. By contrast, my experiences with most of the German and many other flagship scopes has been crisp, audible and tactile. John, A Leupold employee by week, military sniper by weekend assured me that I would be pleased. He didn’t disappoint.
The Mk5 turrets are crisp, audible and very tactile.
The turrets lock at zero in the same way that the Leupold gen II CDS turrets do, but unlike those, these will go half a mil below zero to allow some flexibility if one has their gun sighted in at, say, 200 or 100 and a close shot calls for a sub mil adjustment.
As previously stated, the elevation is 30+ mils of travel, requiring multiple revolutions. Leupold’s turret indicates the second rev to the user via the button imploding into the dial. Upon entering the third revolution, an indicator button pops up on the top of the turret, much like many other scopes out there.
Tracking is perfect. Noting else to say here.
Built-in/Removable Magnification Throw Lever: Robust, knurled knob installed from the factory allows the user to change magnification settings on-the-fly very easily. Also comes with a setscrew to fill the gap, should the user choose to uninstall it.
Additional Thoughts/Comments: The 35mm maintube was chosen because of light-gathering and elevation/travel I suspect. Regardless, it creates a bit of a limitation on mounting options. IOR Valdada and Vortex had used/still use 35mm maintubes on some of their optics, so stuff is out there… but not to the same degree as 34mm and 30mm options. Leupold offers a few decent mounting options, as does Spuhr (this is my preference), MPA, Vortex, IOR Valdada to name a few. I’m certain more options will become available in the near future.
While Illumination is an option, it is only an option… Not standard, not a problem. I’ve used illumination less than I used 4WD in my first pickup… And it’s there for the same reason- just in case. Only in the case of illumination, it is most likely dead when you turn it on anyways. I can hear the naysayers now. Whatever. Keep changing your transfer case fluid and your CR2032 batteries. Just in case.

Price:
MSRP is around 2.3K and up for the non-illuminated versions. I’ve seen street prices around 1700.

Side-by-side Comparisons:

VS: Vortex AMG 6-24X (USA Made)

The AMG really is a terrific scope all around. The 6-24X vs 5-25X isn’t a huge difference, however the price puts Leupold ahead.
VS: Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27X (made in Japan)
Undiscernible difference in clarity and brightness. Both track well. I prefer the Leupold turrets. The Vortex’ pull-up turret can be tough. On the other hand, it can be nice to lock in a setting too.
VS: Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X (Made in USA)
Mk 5 beats it hands-down in terms of magnification range, glass clarity and brightness. NXS is SFP so Leupold wins there. Nightforce is legendary for tracking so no knocks there, but tactile and audible turret edge still goes to the Mk 5.
VS: Steiner T-line 5-25X (USA and German Made) I love Steiner. The T series compares to the Mk5 in terms of cost and is assembled in Colorado. Glass clarity, coatings, tracking (T-series had a major tracking problem upon initial release. They’ve since rectified the issues), size and weight all but illumination go to the Leupold Mk 5.
VS: Steiner MX5I 5-25X (German Made)
Clarity and brightness are superlative with both. One might be better than the other, but I’m a mere mortal; I can’t tell the difference. Tracking is dead on with both. Size and weight are smaller and lighter (hence better) with the Leupold.
Note: Even if I wanted to, I would have been unable to test the Illumination with the Steiner, because, wait for it….
Battery was dead.
VS: Leupold Mk 4 fixed 10X, Mk4 fixed 16X, Mk 3.5-10X FFP (All USA Made)
Mk five is hands down better in everything.

Closing Remarks:
I shot one of my Mk 5 scopes in a PRS match in June… It had been my first PRS match in many years. There was a Leupold rep there from Houston who got pictures of my rig with the scope on top. He didn’t just take my picture, however. I was surprised to see at least five or six others using the new Mk 5s. Hopefully we see more in the future months and matches as Leupold gains new followers.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
Wrote a review on my Mk5s... I, no shit, sold my other optics and went full retard.

This is a cut and paste from a word doc I wrote. Judge away, Primus lol...

They’re baaaaack!!!

Leupold has created a monster! The new Mark 5HD series of tactical rifle scopes is, dare I say, the most feature-filled, best bang-for-your-buck tactical optic out there. It features 5X+ magnification in First Focal Plane (FFP) with two initial offerings- a 3.6-18 x 44 and a 5-25x56, both with a 35mm maintube.
5-25x56- It boasts 35 mils of elevation. The weight is pretty light- just 30oz and 15.7” long
3.6-18x44- 29 mils of elevation, 26oz and a very compact 12.1” in length

The above is a snapshot of the features that are also the differences between the two. Everything else is virtually the same.

Please read below for my personal thoughts on this fine optic:

Optics/Glass: Clarity is superior. Top tier. Period. Ask any scope snob and those who REALLY know what they’re talking about will tell you that while glass is certainly important, the coatings are equally so. Leupold’s HD coatings are truly a noticeable improvement over that of the Mark 4 and even the 6 and 8!!! You’ll most likely see the difference when you use one. I’ve owned a Vortex Razor an AMG, two Steiner MX5Is to name a few premier optics I can objectively compare these to. Its right there, folks!!! Seriously! I spoke with some Leupold folks to help me make a choice between my last 5-25 Mk5 and the Mk8 3.5-25. I was told the coatings on the Mk5 make the glass brighter. Sold!
Eyebox/Eye Relief/Optical Lens etc.: Generous, forgiving. Adjustment is a simple twist. Exit pupil and eye relief is GTG.
Parallax: Side adjustment. It works as expected. It appears to actually be adjustable… There’s a set screw on the dial.
Illumination: Optional… And I opted out. Pointless for all but true tactical/operational use IMHO.
Reticle (s): I own two 3.6-18s with TMRs, and one 5-25 with the CCH reticle. Reticles are a very personal thing I think.
TMR- I like the TMR for a clean yet usable milling option. I prefer the open center of my two 3.6-18s… be advised however, that if you choose an illuminated version, the center will not be open.
CCH- this is a homerun for Leupold. It was designed with feedback from professional shooters, for professional shooters. It is a “Christmas-tree” design of sorts for holding over if/when the situation calls for it, and it also has chevrons on the lateral stadia, indication holds for moving targets! Very cool and very usable.

To reiterate, all reticles/scopes in the Leupold Mk 5 Line are in the FFP

Turrets: I love the turrets. I had some apprehension before I decided to make my order. My experience with the M1, M5 and CDS (gen 1) turrets has been that they track well but have a somewhat mushy, inaudible quality to them. By contrast, my experiences with most of the German and many other flagship scopes has been crisp, audible and tactile. John, A Leupold employee by week, military sniper by weekend assured me that I would be pleased. He didn’t disappoint.
The Mk5 turrets are crisp, audible and very tactile.
The turrets lock at zero in the same way that the Leupold gen II CDS turrets do, but unlike those, these will go half a mil below zero to allow some flexibility if one has their gun sighted in at, say, 200 or 100 and a close shot calls for a sub mil adjustment.
As previously stated, the elevation is 30+ mils of travel, requiring multiple revolutions. Leupold’s turret indicates the second rev to the user via the button imploding into the dial. Upon entering the third revolution, an indicator button pops up on the top of the turret, much like many other scopes out there.
Tracking is perfect. Noting else to say here.
Built-in/Removable Magnification Throw Lever: Robust, knurled knob installed from the factory allows the user to change magnification settings on-the-fly very easily. Also comes with a setscrew to fill the gap, should the user choose to uninstall it.
Additional Thoughts/Comments: The 35mm maintube was chosen because of light-gathering and elevation/travel I suspect. Regardless, it creates a bit of a limitation on mounting options. IOR Valdada and Vortex had used/still use 35mm maintubes on some of their optics, so stuff is out there… but not to the same degree as 34mm and 30mm options. Leupold offers a few decent mounting options, as does Spuhr (this is my preference), MPA, Vortex, IOR Valdada to name a few. I’m certain more options will become available in the near future.
While Illumination is an option, it is only an option… Not standard, not a problem. I’ve used illumination less than I used 4WD in my first pickup… And it’s there for the same reason- just in case. Only in the case of illumination, it is most likely dead when you turn it on anyways. I can hear the naysayers now. Whatever. Keep changing your transfer case fluid and your CR2032 batteries. Just in case.

Price:
MSRP is around 2.3K and up for the non-illuminated versions. I’ve seen street prices around 1700.

Side-by-side Comparisons:

VS: Vortex AMG 6-24X (USA Made)

The AMG really is a terrific scope all around. The 6-24X vs 5-25X isn’t a huge difference, however the price puts Leupold ahead.
VS: Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27X (made in Japan)
Undiscernible difference in clarity and brightness. Both track well. I prefer the Leupold turrets. The Vortex’ pull-up turret can be tough. On the other hand, it can be nice to lock in a setting too.
VS: Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X (Made in USA)
Mk 5 beats it hands-down in terms of magnification range, glass clarity and brightness. NXS is SFP so Leupold wins there. Nightforce is legendary for tracking so no knocks there, but tactile and audible turret edge still goes to the Mk 5.
VS: Steiner T-line 5-25X (USA and German Made) I love Steiner. The T series compares to the Mk5 in terms of cost and is assembled in Colorado. Glass clarity, coatings, tracking (T-series had a major tracking problem upon initial release. They’ve since rectified the issues), size and weight all but illumination go to the Leupold Mk 5.
VS: Steiner MX5I 5-25X (German Made)
Clarity and brightness are superlative with both. One might be better than the other, but I’m a mere mortal; I can’t tell the difference. Tracking is dead on with both. Size and weight are smaller and lighter (hence better) with the Leupold.
Note: Even if I wanted to, I would have been unable to test the Illumination with the Steiner, because, wait for it….
Battery was dead.
VS: Leupold Mk 4 fixed 10X, Mk4 fixed 16X, Mk 3.5-10X FFP (All USA Made)
Mk five is hands down better in everything.

Closing Remarks:
I shot one of my Mk 5 scopes in a PRS match in June… It had been my first PRS match in many years. There was a Leupold rep there from Houston who got pictures of my rig with the scope on top. He didn’t just take my picture, however. I was surprised to see at least five or six others using the new Mk 5s. Hopefully we see more in the future months and matches as Leupold gains new followers.

Dude, that’s a great review. Thanks for taking time to write that.

udwOrg.jpg

This thread hasn’t seen much traffic lately. I’m seriously leaning towards getting the 5-25. Have any problems come up with these scopes that haven’t been previously discussed?

This thread hasn’t seen much traffic lately. I’m seriously leaning towards getting the 5-25. Have any problems come up with these scopes that haven’t been previously discussed?[/QUOTE

Been running the 5-25 since May, couldn't be happier with it. No issues, it's clear, it tracks... Run it along side my other rifles with G2Razor and a Kahles 624. To my eye its just as good. Planning on adding a Mark 5 3-18 soon

Reactions: Hondo1
This thread hasn’t seen much traffic lately. I’m seriously leaning towards getting the 5-25. Have any problems come up with these scopes that haven’t been previously discussed?

Been running mine since June. Nothing negative to report. It gets the job done for what I've done with it so far. I found the 35mm tube negates the need to use the SAPR cheek riser on my gas rig residing in a 1.5" Spuhr mount.

ETA: I mentioned in my initial impressions that the CA seemed better or as well controlled than some pricier optics I've used, but no worse than the optic it replaced (an S&B PMII). You will experience it at the high end as mentioned, but I find it tolerable and not a deal breaker.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hondo1
I would like to see a Vortexish Christmas tree style reticle. The reticle choices are the only thing that's stopped me from buying one of the 5-25's.

I would like to see a Vortexish Christmas tree style reticle. The reticle choices are the only thing that's stopped me from buying one of the 5-25's.

Definitely a consideration... I went with the T3. I was skeptical at first cuz it seems so busy, but I actually like it now. Its more usable than I thought it would be

Definitely a consideration... I went with the T3. I was skeptical at first cuz it seems so busy, but I actually like it now. Its more usable than I thought it would be

T3 is definitely what I’m thinking. I have it in the 3.6-18 and like it. I just turned loose of a 624i and will be replacing it it with the 5-25.
I also just made a deal on a ATACR 7-35 T3

Reactions: Stpilot12

I own two now, both 3.6-18 T3’s. I had put one up for sale but decided against it before anyone bought it.

IMO the only thing keeping it from being perfect is the stupid indicator markings on the windage. It’s hard to line up/index. Not sure what Leupold was thinking there, but it’s a non issue for me as all I use the windage for is to zero and then the cap goes back on.

I’ll own more of them without a doubt.

Hate to resurrect an old post but for the life of me I can't find an answer to a question I've been asking and short of just buying it myself, no one has given me a definitive answer. I am looking at the Mark 5 3.6-18. I have read reviews that claim it can focus down to 15ish yards. I need an optic than can focus and is parallax free at 25 yards. For someone that already has a Mark 5 3.6-18, can you test it out for me and see if you can focus down to 25 yards (or less) and also see if there is much for parallax at 25 yards as well? I understand there is no good way for someone to measure the parallax for me with their eye so it will just have to be a visual guess. Thanks fellers.

Hate to resurrect an old post but for the life of me I can't find an answer to a question I've been asking and short of just buying it myself, no one has given me a definitive answer. I am looking at the Mark 5 3.6-18. I have read reviews that claim it can focus down to 15ish yards. I need an optic than can focus and is parallax free at 25 yards. For someone that already has a Mark 5 3.6-18, can you test it out for me and see if you can focus down to 25 yards (or less) and also see if there is much for parallax at 25 yards as well? I understand there is no good way for someone to measure the parallax for me with their eye so it will just have to be a visual guess. Thanks fellers.

Yes it will parallax down to 15-20 yards and give a clean image on up to about 10x. You can't run wide open like you can a 5-25 S&B at close distance.

Yes it will parallax down to 15-20 yards and give a clean image on up to about 10x. You can't run wide open like you can a 5-25 S&B at close distance.
So parallax free for you at about 15-20 yards? Not just clear image, but no parallax? I greatly appreciate it, sir.

I can’t speak to a side by side. I have a MK 5 headed to me this week. To me the only difference is the low end field of view. So not worth the coin to me.

It can be found in this discussion that I would not purchase the new Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18x44 and purchase another NF ATACR 4-16x42 for a hunting rifle I needed to scope.

A friend of mine who is a wholesaler asked me a few weeks ago if I have got to experience the new Mark 5. I said no and he went and grabbed a rifle with the Mark 5 3.6-18. I at first I wasn't blown away. Turret feel was good but not great. The power adjustment ring just didn't do anything for me at all. So at this point mainly due to the power adjustment ring, I'm not ready to order a Mark 5. My impression changed when I looked through the scope. Wow glass quality is really good with this scope and parlax adjustment is really good. I can confirm you can adjust this scope to 20 yards.
Next came the side by side comparison to a Mark 8 he had on a rifle. Now we didn't spend hours with this comparison, only minutes and I was only focused on glass quality between the two. My initial impression was the Mark 5 was better. It was however getting late and I didn't spend much time with the Mark 8 but in no way did I think I needed a Mark 8 over a Mark 5.

I ordered a Mark 5 3.6-18x44 that evening from my friend with a TReMorR3 reticle and have it mounted on a 6 creedmoor hunting rifle. As of now, I do not regret the purchase over the ATACR 4-16x42 but with that said, the ATACR is better glass at distance. But within hunting distances, the two are real close to each other. It is only at extreme long distances the ATACR is noticeable better than the Mark 5.

I grew up with Leupold scopes but its been 20 years since I have run anything but S&B or NF. I really hope Leupold has finally got a product that won't let me down.

Anyone else have a elevation turret not line up? No matter what it is in between the hashes. Not a good first unboxing when it just arrived at the door 2 minutes ago. Spun the turret and losened the cap as if I was zeroing the optic.. still always back to what the first photo shows. When you dial it to about 7 it's close. 10 mils it's on.

Attachments

• IMG_20181025_140351.jpg
    IMG_20181025_140351.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_20181025_140702.jpg
    IMG_20181025_140702.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_20181025_140717.jpg
    IMG_20181025_140717.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Me neither. Give Leupold a call. I'm sure they'll take care of you.

I don't have any doubts Leupold will repair it. But being a brand spanking new optic I hope they would just send me out another. They repaired 2 mk6 optics with turret issues for me and I was pleased with the service. I'll give them a call.

They may very well do that.

TBH, other than the first small run of these, I haven't heard of any issues with the Mk5's. And that first small run issue was due to switching from a military contracted version to the commercial version (as I understand it), and didn't affect the performance of the scopes, it just confused folks by the markings on the turrets.

Well they are sending me a new elevation turret cap first to try out. I have another one of these coming tomorrow to put on my Fix rifle.. So I'll prob swap that turret cap on there quick to see what it looks like. Guy mentioned the markings are just most likely off on the turret but he had not heard of it before.

I don't have any doubt they will take care of me. Just disappointing as I have my arc rings here and ready to go shoot it this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_20181026_083927.jpg
    IMG_20181026_083927.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Anyone else have a elevation turret not line up? No matter what it is in between the hashes. Not a good first unboxing when it just arrived at the door 2 minutes ago. Spun the turret and losened the cap as if I was zeroing the optic.. still always back to what the first photo shows. When you dial it to about 7 it's close. 10 mils it's on.
Yes. mine are like that also. Who did you contact at Leupold about it ?. Guess I'll be giving them a call Monday. Thanks in advance.

Yes. mine are like that also. Who did you contact at Leupold about it ?. Guess I'll be giving them a call Monday. Thanks in advance.

I was #26 in the wait line and they called me back about an hour and 20 minutes later. Not sure the guys name, but he said he was sending me one 2 day air. Just talked to tech support.