• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Socket set recommendations

The one thing at China Freight that I know is as good as Snap-On is their breaker bar. I saw a test online about that and it actually performed slightly better.
It's probably all made in the same factory along with matco

It's probably all made in the same factory along with matco
^^^this^^^

There are only about three or four companies currently supplying all the top name and big box store tools. If you want to look outside the big corporate tool companies, A decent middle of the road quality that I didn't see mentioned yet is Tekton. Tekton tools are made in U.S., Taiwan, and China, but they've been moving away from china. They're priced about the same as Craftsman, Kobalt tools. If you want industrial quality, forged in USA tools, look at Wright Tools. They're about the same price as Snap-on/Matco. Proto and S-K tools, while they both have been bought out by a chinese company, haven't heard anything bad about their current quality yet. Pricewise, they're in between Box store and industrial tools.

^^^this^^^

There are only about three or four companies currently supplying all the top name and big box store tools. If you want to look outside the big corporate tool companies, A decent middle of the road quality that I didn't see mentioned yet is Tekton. Tekton tools are made in U.S., Taiwan, and China, but they've been moving away from china. They're priced about the same as Craftsman, Kobalt tools. If you want industrial quality, forged in USA tools, look at Wright Tools. They're about the same price as Snap-on/Matco. Proto tools, while they have been bought out by a chinese company, haven't heard anything bad about their current quality yet. Pricewise, they're in between Box store and industrial tools. Similar deal with S-K tools as well.
I thought Proto was owned by Stanley; or is this a new development? I know SK was bought by Ideal.

Some proto is rebranded facom, MAC does/had wrenches made by facom, the 440’s

Are Great Neck tools still made in the USA? I have one 33mm 1/2" drive socket in my tool box from them. I know it was made here, but I bought it almost 20 years ago.

*Edit add: a socket required when pulling axle shafts out of the front of Dana 30 (or Jeep Rubicon "44" [really a D44 center with D30 outers/hubs]).

Proto and mac tools is still under Stanley/black&decker. So is facom. Proto is still US has a decent selection of USA made tools, but even the imported tools are high end European etc. I’m not sure about the proto Blackhawk…they look like the budget line of tools?

Even Snap on imports too, as their floor jacks were the same ones that harbor freight sells (Daytona). Snapon sued harbor freight over it and lost.

Williams is now owned by Snap-On, since the early 2000's if I remember correctly. Back in the day Williams made tools for both Snap-On and Craftsman. I have a couple of Craftsman ratchets that have Craftsman stamped on the top and a Snap-On part number on the bottom of the handle. If you put them side by side you can't tell them apart.

Williams also made a lot of industrial tools, think black oxide finish, for other companies also. I have Snap-On, Craftsman, Proto, Williams, Gear Wrench, Kobalt, and HF tools in my tool boxes.

Like others have said, decide what you are going to do with the tools and pick the quality and price point you need and make your choice.

Budget but quality socket set wise, SUNEX is pretty good, Taiwan made, impact or chrome grades. Get 6pt sockets and high quality ratchets, it's the cheap 12pt from budget brands that are more prone to round off fasteners, bend or break the sockets, and 12pt is really unnecessary for most purposes. You have to fiddle a bit more to get the socket on the nut, with a good high point count ratchet it's not an issue.

Blow molded cases are a pain, taking up too much room for what they hold and have shitty latches that will break after short use anyhow. Twist lock socket holders are my favorite, long tool box to keep them in with other common use tools sit in the closet for grab and go without going to my rollaway chest, also accompanies me on road trips for anything that may come up. There's a reason I'm still driving a 25 year old vehicle, I keep it running like a top through a little bit of work and a few good tools.

• Love
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Someone mentioned Stanley so I'll throw in my $0.02. Scoff away...

I've had the same black-chrome Stanley kit for almost two decades. It's got virtually every size in 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, and really nice ratchets to suit. The number of parts isn't bloated with hex wrenches and the like. The blow-molded case is heavy duty and I have to keep one of those free paint-can openers in the case to pry the sockets out of their assigned slots. I like being able to see if I've not replaced one. I also like being able to grab that one case to work on most things - I had to drop the deck and replace a couple of idlers on my lawn tractor this summer, and the only other tool needed was an impact driver and the 3/8 adapter. In addition to "regular" around-the-house stuff, I've used them to wrench on cars and motorcycles, and despite warnings molded into the case, with impact tools. The laser-etched sizes are clear to read. Oh, and was made in the USA back when I bought it.

I have probably another 100 different sockets (mostly Craftsman) and a few odd-balls, like a Craftsman set with an open end that allow you to use a socket over a long stud where the ratchet would usually prevent getting down far enough, even with an extended socket. Plus several oversize sockets (also Craftsman, bought individually) for things like motorcycle axle nuts, auto wheel hub nuts, etc. I have plastic "storage" boxes sorted by "task" - i.e. everything I need in addition to regular sockets for working on motorcycles. That includes oddball wrenches down to 6mm for adjusting tappets. I had many more, but left them with my daughter when she started wrenching on her 442.

Finally, one of the most useful things I ever bought was a nice set of ratcheting wrenches. Craftsman again. They don't have the 'click' or whatever you call it, so they work in really tight spaces with minimal range of movement.

I help out my ex's brother with stuff on his cars, mostly electrical, but many times I've been over there and encountered a situation where I wish I'd had my tools at my disposal. It's somewhat pathetic to see how someone so mechanically-minded does not have a comprehensive set of tools.

Are snap on made in USA. its funny to go to harbor freight and see those same tools at 1/100th the price.
There’s no ratchet made that compares to a snap on. Definitely not one from harbor freight that’s for sure. They can copy a look but the guts are definitely not the same. I’ve been earning a paycheck using professional tools for over 30years and there’s a reason real tradesmen buy snap on, matco or Mac.made in Wisconsin.

There’s no ratchet made that compares to a snap on. Definitely not one from harbor freight that’s for sure. They can copy a look but the guts are definitely not the same. I’ve been earning a paycheck using professional tools for over 30years and there’s a reason real tradesmen buy snap on, matco or Mac.
1669951078644.png

Seems the guys not looking to have to pay college tuition prices to own a home owner set. Mac, Matco and Snap On earn their owners money. Pretty much any other set will get by for general use around the house.

Well if you read the very first response in this thread you would know what the advice was that I gave him!!! It surely was not to buy snap on. Apparently like so many thread’s people chime in without reading where things start and where they end up but thanks for you input.

Reactions: Maxduty
There’s no ratchet made that compares to a snap on. Definitely not one from harbor freight that’s for sure. They can copy a look but the guts are definitely not the same. I’ve been earning a paycheck using professional tools for over 30years and there’s a reason real tradesmen buy snap on, matco or Mac.made in Wisconsin.

You should watch that Project Farm, he tested both ratchets and wrenches to failure. His results my change your mind.

And yes I know there is a huge difference between how strong a tool is and how long it will last in normal "day to day" use.

I bet I have at least one tool from everyone on the planet.

View attachment 8011893

Seems the guys not looking to have to pay college tuition prices to own a home owner set. Mac, Matco and Snap On earn their owners money. Pretty much any other set will get by for general use around the house.

I have a fair bit of snap on, granted they are 30+ years old, so I can't really speak to current offerings. What I can say is in my hobby playing around on a fairly larger scale for a home tinkerer snap on does not offer enough to justify their huge costs. Some "special" tools out of places like Germany I feel are worth it, but when it comes down to "normal" type hand tools, I think you are paying a great deal for that snap on name.

One last thing about the chinese, just because it comes from china does not mean it is crap, they will build whatever you want to what ever standard you want.

A couple months ago the Milwaukee 1/2 impact had a big change to them. If you don't know this impact is THE electric impact at the top of the class, it is strong as hell inside and out, and had a HUGE following....it was the best. So what does Milwaukee do.....make it cheaper to make and charge the same price. They started to break left and right, and there was huge backlash against the company, People would walk into stores rifle through the impacts looking for the 2767-20A and leave with nothing if all they had was 2767-20B. First thing after learning this was go out to the shop and see what I had, A....good. Milwaukee made it right, but it really shows what happens. Both tools made in china, one fantastic the other pure garbage because of the design of the tool.

Bottom line where it is made is not the end all and be all, HOW it is made, that is what matters.

I will post up a few of the videos on the impact so you can see what I am trying to talk about.

Reactions: shoobe01
Those are both very good sets, I know the Dewalt is made in Stanleys premium plant in Taiwan. I have the 200+ piece set and they're excellent sockets and I like that they don't skip sizes. The ratchets kinda suck though but when you've been using snap on ratchets for 15+ years they all kinda suck.

Power tools are awesome though and power tools will wreck those chrome sockets so I don't really use them any more except for some 1/2" from the set. I picked up the Milwaukee 3/8" impact set after getting their stubby 3/8" impact which is awesome and have been using them for about 2 years now. It covers most of my needs but I also picked up their 1/4" impact sets in deep and shallow and use that with the impact driver. I use all of them with ratchets and whatnot too and basically just pieced together my own sets. Then I've got dewalt and snap on for 1/2" stuff.

Stahlwille, Gedore and Hazet are all equal to Snap-On in quality. They are also made for professional users, mostly German car mechanics.

Quality tools make the task enjoyable and having the right tools makes it a breeze.

Milwaukee stuff at their better quality tiers are pretty good but I do my best to avoid ‘made in China’. I do so mainly for the fact that they subsidized industries in a way which allowed them to hit price points which put honest competitors out of business.

Imports are fine, they encourage competition. It’s ridiculous to have America, EU and Japan held to one set of standards, competing against a country that holds none of those same standards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Simonsza1
Who makes which tool: WhoMakesWhat

For homeowners and not professional wrenches it seems to me that 1/4" and 3/8" sockets have too much overlap. I'd go for a 1/4" and 1/2" set.

Reactions: shoobe01
I have a fair bit of snap on, granted they are 30+ years old, so I can't really speak to current offerings. What I can say is in my hobby playing around on a fairly larger scale for a home tinkerer snap on does not offer enough to justify their huge costs. Some "special" tools out of places like Germany I feel are worth it, but when it comes down to "normal" type hand tools, I think you are paying a great deal for that snap on name.

One last thing about the chinese, just because it comes from china does not mean it is crap, they will build whatever you want to what ever standard you want.
There's a ton of wisdom in this post.If you are cranking down lag bolts on your deck or changing the tire on your wellbarrow...CMAN (usa) or decent import stuff is perfect.

The thought of using snap-on to do that kind of work is using rembrant's painbrush for your 3 year old's art project.

Tools for around the house should generally be something you would be OK putting in the truck, using for field repairs, and if necessary...replaceable in real-time and with loose change or pocket-money.

It shouldn't cost you so much you'll miss your rent or mortgage, or take 3 weeks to special order, etc.

Just my $0.02

Reactions: BScore
Who makes which tool: WhoMakesWhat

For homeowners and not professional wrenches it seems to me that 1/4" and 3/8" sockets have too much overlap. I'd go for a 1/4" and 1/2" set.
IF you want a 1/4+1/2 set in chrome/hand-tools look at european brands (german), they tend market sets with this combination. more than traditionally was agavilable in USA. Note however, that 1/2 drive sockets are bulky and, the ratchets are heavy. For a handyman set around the house, IMHO 3/8 is lighter and more compact option. But common sense is applicable here in the selection.

Last edited:
I agree, I tend up use 3/8 most often for general purpose. 1/4 drive for firearm related stuff, which is often bits rather than sockets. 1/2” for bigger stuff on vehicles or machinery.

As an aside, I find knipex wrench-pliers endlessly useful for firearm stuff, especially when it’s desirable not to wear the parts.

3/8ths is definitely the work horse. Anything from oil changes to some engine work. 3/8s impact sockets for tighter areas. I have a Milwaukee 3/8s electric ratchet that makes things faster.

1/2 is good for big fasteners, suspension work, lugs, etc

I use 1/4 for interior stuff, maybe electrical things like actuators, also it’s handy for a lot of general assembly for things shipped dissembled in a box.

Reactions: MtnGhost
Knipex is a great brand!
This right here. All my knipex stuff is bombproof

Also, anybody recognize this marvel for what it is? This is the second most handy tool I’ve ever owned. Second only to the cheap, shitty pocket screwdrivers handed out by every tool guy

1670009245303.jpeg

I know I will get flamed for this but....

If you have a Harbor Freight local to you, go and get Pittsburgh brand. They are full lifetime warrantied like Craftsman used to be. If one breaks, walk in with it and walk out with a new one. Just that simple.
Btw- I haven't had a failure yet and I am hard on tools. Their impact sockets are heavier made than SnapOn.

I know I will get flamed for this but....

If you have a Harbor Freight local to you, go and get Pittsburgh brand. They are full lifetime warrantied like Craftsman used to be. If one breaks, walk in with it and walk out with a new one. Just that simple.
Btw- I haven't had a failure yet and I am hard on tools. Their impact sockets are heavier made than SnapOn.
This post is a good opportunity to point something out. Like my first post in this thread speaking to general around the home usage yes your correct. Wether lowes, Home Depot or harbor freight the quality at that level is just fine for most but the ease of warranty is key! Also one of the reasons tradesmen pay more money for snap on in many different style tools you also made that point. Which is I can have a much thinner walled lighter socket that fits into lots of machined recesses that most sockets won’t and they still don’t crack or fail nearly as often. Your comment of them being heavier is probably dead accurate but that wall thickness on many professional applications is very important that it’s thin and strong.

Reactions: BLEE
This post is a good opportunity to point something out. Like my first post in this thread speaking to general around the home usage yes your correct. Wether lowes, Home Depot or harbor freight the quality at that level is just fine for most but the ease of warranty is key! Also one of the reasons tradesmen pay more money for snap on in many different style tools you also made that point. Which is I can have a much thinner walled lighter socket that fits into lots of machined recesses that most sockets won’t and they still don’t crack or fail nearly as often. Your comment of them being heavier is probably dead accurate but that wall thickness on many professional applications is very important that it’s thin and strong.
I understand completely as I am a Machinist by trade. I have the high end tools and they are perfect for the right application.
However, my post was directed at the op and keeping in line with the level of tools he had in his original post.

You should watch that Project Farm, he tested both ratchets and wrenches to failure. His results my change your mind.

And yes I know there is a huge difference between how strong a tool is and how long it will last in normal "day to day" use.

I bet I have at least one tool from everyone on the planet.
In wanting to make sure I was tracking I watched the video you refer to. I liked it lots of good test. I think going back to the difference between homeowners/ hobbiest is the day to day torture. One thing I picked up on in the video is that every brand was brand new. So the inspection of the pawls and gears generally were great. Now in my real world test, use all those brands every day for a decent amount of time and see when your knuckles are bleeding all over from sudden failure on the bargain brands. The guts fail and you can’t see that wear with your eyes. Where some of my ratchets are daily use for 20 + years on original guts and I have much faith every time I use them that I’m not going to end up bleeding. With all brand new stuff there is no degradation of components but trust me it’s a real thing. Have I broken lots of snap on? He’ll ya a shit load throughout my career but like I said from real world experience the professionals buy those few brands for a multitude of reasons. Those reasons definitely not applicable to a homeowner. Liked the video though. I worked mainly in metric/foreign and agree with some other post that German tools are great. Used many throughout the years just guilty by association and loved them all.

I understand completely as I am a Machinist by trade. I have the high end tools and they are perfect for the right application.
However, my post was directed at the op and keeping in line with the level of tools he had in his original post.
Me too just like my first post #2 in this thread was go to a box store and it will be everything you need.

Reactions: Alabusa
Are snap on made in USA. its funny to go to harbor freight and see those same tools at 1/100th the price.

Most of their hand tools are made in the US. Their prices are getting out of hand but I still buy quite a few tools from them.

I'd recommend Gearwrench sockets and wrenches, great tools for the money. I have a lot of them for when I go out in the field to work. If I lose one or they get stolen, I'm out a fraction of the price.

I have a lot of Snap-On, and made in the USA Craftsman tools. After 5 or 10 times rebuilding the front axle of my 2005 Jeep TJ Rubicon, my 1/2" drive Craftsman 1/2" breaker bar started having the pivot pin start falling out. Took it back to Sears, they replaced it without question...the replacement doesn't have USA stamped on it. That Jeep was a lot of fun, it's long gone now...took it to Korea, wife and daughters got t-boned by a local that had too much soju. It was supposed have the rear axle fixed, brought it back to the States, and the rear axle kept blowing seals...traded it off.

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0252.JPG

Reactions: MtnGhost
Any reason NOT to get impact instead of standard for basic use?

Any reason NOT to get impact instead of standard for basic use?
The thicker wall of impact sockets can be too thick for some spots. Impact sockets aren’t necessary unless you start needing them on a regular basis. A chrome socket can be used a few times on an impact gun without exploding but you must be careful about it

In wanting to make sure I was tracking I watched the video you refer to. I liked it lots of good test. I think going back to the difference between homeowners/ hobbiest is the day to day torture. One thing I picked up on in the video is that every brand was brand new. So the inspection of the pawls and gears generally were great. Now in my real world test, use all those brands every day for a decent amount of time and see when your knuckles are bleeding all over from sudden failure on the bargain brands. The guts fail and you can’t see that wear with your eyes. Where some of my ratchets are daily use for 20 + years on original guts and I have much faith every time I use them that I’m not going to end up bleeding. With all brand new stuff there is no degradation of components but trust me it’s a real thing. Have I broken lots of snap on? He’ll ya a shit load throughout my career but like I said from real world experience the professionals buy those few brands for a multitude of reasons. Those reasons definitely not applicable to a homeowner. Liked the video though. I worked mainly in metric/foreign and agree with some other post that German tools are great. Used many throughout the years just guilty by association and loved them all.

Another good YT channel is the Torque test channel. Anyone that straps a two stroke engine on an impact is something I want to watch. They generally do power tools however.

The thicker wall of impact sockets can be too thick for some spots. Impact sockets aren’t necessary unless you start needing them on a regular basis. A chrome socket can be used a few times on an impact gun without exploding but you must be careful about it

I am far from careful about it, and had chrome sockets on a breaker bar with a cheater pipe only to bust the breaker bar.

On a side "tool" comment, if you are screwing with "stuck" nuts and bolts you really need to look into one of those induction heaters.

I think anyone with a fair amount of grease under his finger nails knows this.

1670243031711.png

But getting that stupid torch out is a pain, and I have started things on fire under a greasy car before, and that really will piss you off.

This thing falls into the "where have you been all my life". I bought an amazon knockoff and so far it is amazing. It is still in the area of me forgetting I have it.....sitting there with the impact running and thinking well this is good and stuck, go to get the breaker bar and hold on a sec I have this new gizmo, lets see how it works. Put it on there till it was red hot, tried a normal 1/2 ratchet and it just came off no issue at all....just amazing. But remember that stuff is darn hot after, socket included. And I think you should re lube your ratchets if you use it often, think that heat would be hard on the grease in the ratchet.

Reactions: The D
I am far from careful about it, and had chrome sockets on a breaker bar with a cheater pipe only to bust the breaker bar.

On a side "tool" comment, if you are screwing with "stuck" nuts and bolts you really need to look into one of those induction heaters.

I think anyone with a fair amount of grease under his finger nails knows this.

View attachment 8014316

But getting that stupid torch out is a pain, and I have started things on fire under a greasy car before, and that really will piss you off.

This thing falls into the "where have you been all my life". I bought an amazon knockoff and so far it is amazing. It is still in the area of me forgetting I have it.....sitting there with the impact running and thinking well this is good and stuck, go to get the breaker bar and hold on a sec I have this new gizmo, lets see how it works. Put it on there till it was red hot, tried a normal 1/2 ratchet and it just came off no issue at all....just amazing. But remember that stuff is darn hot after, socket included. And I think you should re lube your ratchets if you use it often, think that heat would be hard on the grease in the ratchet.
I didn’t know about induction heaters for seized nuts/bolts but I will check into them, thanks for the heads-up

An instructor I had just before I started my career used to set a small sledgehammer on his bench and talk to whichever bolt was being a problem. He was one of the smartest guys I’ve known so there must have been something to it. I’ve always just used a torch…

i live in the rust belt. i do not use ratchets to loosen bolts or nuts. that's what a breaker bar is for. after they are initially busted loose, then the ratchet comes into play. most my tools are old made in usa brand...... John deere, bonney, Allen. a few old snap on. all of it is at least 30 years old. i have added a few newer tools, one of the ones i wish i had years ago is the milwaukee 3/8 m12 ratchet. but again, i use the breaker bars to loosen the bolts.

One of you honkers trade me some guns for my snap on box 54 w locker in combat tan power drawer

For a budget set, look for Made in Taiwan instead of China. There's usually a big difference in quality.
Yep. Taiwan steel / tools seem a lot more reliable. I have a couple sets of Proto combination wrenches (one set is ratcheting) and they're all extremely well made. Proto's sockets are decent, but their socket wrenches SUCK.

I have a 3/8" set of Proto's Blackhawk deep sockets, and they've held up fine. Still prefer my old Stanley 3/8" socket wrench set. I also have an older Kobalt 3/8" socket set that is damn near identical to the Stanley set (I think they're the exact same tools with different branding).

Tools are made in just a few factories. I buy in this order:
1. Made in USA
2. Made in Japan, if I can find them
2. Made in Taiwan
3. Made somewhere else, except China, or India

Tools are made in just a few factories. I buy in this order:
1. Made in USA
2. Made in Japan, if I can find them
2. Made in Taiwan
3. Made somewhere else, except China, or India
You would be much better off sliding Germany In the #2 slot between USA and Japan and scratch the rest of your list off. Unless your shopping homeowner budget tools which at that point whatever pretty much works.

You would be much better off sliding Germany In the #2 slot between USA and Japan and scratch the rest of your list off. Unless your shopping homeowner budget tools which at that point whatever pretty much works.
I agree. Local to me, German tools are non-existent.

Which is why countless times in this thread he was given advice on homeowner tool brands and suggestions.