• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Some 22 LR Trajectory Charts

In preparation for our first local long range precision .22 LR match this month, I found that many of the first time shooters had/have no idea what their dope is or should be. After looking for easy ways to provide them information, especially those that do not have ballistic apps or are new enough that JBM looks like a stock ticker, I then searched for published drop information for existing .22 LR loads. It turns out that they are surprisingly sparse if they can be found at all. So I spent some (probably way too much) time putting these five charts together for the shooters of this upcoming match. Then I thought that it might be useful for some of you here too. I know that there are at least some of you that know all this and have no need, but I'm betting that there are more that are like I was just a little while ago that have mostly no idea where to start.

So, take a look at this pdf I made of a simple chart that includes 6 common lower cost, low velocity loads sometimes used for these matches. Know that:
  • I only provided these in 10 yard increments instead of the 5 yard increments that I prefer because it's a lot of data entry typing and I'm no fan
  • Info is for CCI Standard Velocity, Aguila Match Rifle, Eley Club, Federal Match, Fiocchi Match and Lapua Club. All 40g lead round nose
  • Info is simply outputs from my ballistic application using my inputs and includes only drops data in inches, mrads and MOA. No wind holds
  • Accuracy of the charts seems to be spot on for my rifle at my location (near sea level). Your results may vary a bit, but these are a good starting point at the very least.
  • These are based on a 50 yard zero.
I may consider making some more of these charts for your consumption IF: you find them useful, I am provided with some specific load requests, I have the ability to pull the data from my ballistic app and if I feel like it.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks
This is great! Thank you so much for posting. I'm new at this, so any information is very helpful.

Reactions: RVDave and lash
Sample output from the Hornady web calculator.

A couple of notes-
the drift does not copy right from the output data, so I correct that manually;
Ranges only given to 25 yards, so I add an interpolation column at each distance in Mils/yd.
Kestrel is a lot more convenient and quicker, but it comes at a price.

View attachment 7251591
Thank you for posting this. Extremely helpful. What scope would you recommend?

Thank you for posting this. Extremely helpful. What scope would you recommend?
Well that question has been and probably should be addressed in another thread so as to not clutter up this one. However, my advice is to use a good quality scope with plenty of elevation adjustment, parallax adjustment down to 25 yards (or less), and a good tree reticle of your choice.

Reactions: JKW70 and TP1960
What ballistic app do you use? What do you consider long distance with a 22 LR? Thanks
I’m not sure who you are asking this question, but if it’s me I consider 100-350 yards long distance for .22 LR. At those distances, the elevation holds are as much or greater than for a .338 LM at a mile plus. Yes, there are a number of people here that shoot out to 500 and even 600 yards with their .22s, but I consider that ELR for the rimfire.

Oh, and I’m using plain old Ballistic for iOS, though the numbers are the same if you use JBM, since Ballistic uses that engine.

Reactions: ac8yj and STAVROS
Well that question has been and probably should be addressed in another thread so as to not clutter up this one. However, my advice is to use a good quality scope with plenty of elevation adjustment, parallax adjustment down to 25 yards (or less), and a good tree reticle of your choice.
Thank you. I will check the other threads.

Shooting SK Standard Plus from a CZ 457 in an Oryx Chassis and using Strelok Pro, and using .172 for BC as Lapua states, things did not match up. Close but not quite. Read on other forums, threads to use .132 BC. Everything lines up perfectly especially out to 100 yards. Very close at longer distances. I'm close to receiving my first Vudoo, will be interested to see if that BC works on that rifle and Strelok Pro as well as it did for the CZ. Great thread.

Just wanted to thank the OP, I used this chart today and hit at 250 on the second shot. This was my farthest shot with a .22 and it put a big smile on my face.

Reactions: lash
I heard at the range over the weekend that a 22lr is going as slow as it will go around 800 yards, after that it starts to pick back up in speed, because of gravity and it’s flight path moving more vertical than horizontal. As I was driving home I wanted to ask: at what distance is it falling essentially straight down and truly maxed out its range?

Shooting SK Standard Plus from a CZ 457 in an Oryx Chassis and using Strelok Pro, and using .172 for BC as Lapua states, things did not match up. Close but not quite. Read on other forums, threads to use .132 BC. Everything lines up perfectly especially out to 100 yards. Very close at longer distances. I'm close to receiving my first Vudoo, will be interested to see if that BC works on that rifle and Strelok Pro as well as it did for the CZ. Great thread.

Strelok pro lists it at .132 if you just grab it off the ammo list.

I'm thinking a lot of variations and odd ballistic calculations are coming from the height over bore to the scope. Very small errors there will make things appear to be wildly off over long distance. Most people blame the bc (as manufacturers have lied to us) but a lot can be corrected to come back inline with slight tweaks to scope height.

Reactions: MLS2GO
"I heard at the range over the weekend that a 22lr is going as slow as it will go around 800 yards, after that it starts to pick back up in speed, because of gravity and it’s flight path moving more vertical than horizontal. "

I call this total BS.

Reactions: Seymour Fish
Travelor I don’t disagree. I haven’t shot a .22lr past 300 so I don’t know, or have any frame of reference. Figured I would ask so see if it passed the SH sniff test, pretty clearly didn’t.

is there a go to app for 22rf ballistics?
I’m surely not aware of a specific .22 rimfire ballistics app. However, I found all of my numbers in my basic Ballistic Standard Edition application for iOS. There were many, many more loads listed on there also. I just created the charts for simplicity of use for people attending my matches.

I heard at the range over the weekend that a 22lr is going as slow as it will go around 800 yards, after that it starts to pick back up in speed, because of gravity and it’s flight path moving more vertical than horizontal. As I was driving home I wanted to ask: at what distance is it falling essentially straight down and truly maxed out its range?

NRA says a 22LR Standard Velocity round can travel 1588 yards. A high power round over 2000 yards. I have no idea what angle the rifle would have to be held at to achieve those distances. On Vudoo's facebook page, a guy there was hitting targets at over 1000 yards with his V22 using a special scope riser, after figuring out his hold for windage/drop at that distance.

In preparation for our first local long range precision .22 LR match this month, I found that many of the first time shooters had/have no idea what their dope is or should be. After looking for easy ways to provide them information, especially those that do not have ballistic apps or are new enough that JBM looks like a stock ticker, I then searched for published drop information for existing .22 LR loads. It turns out that they are surprisingly sparse if they can be found at all. So I spent some (probably way too much) time putting these five charts together for the shooters of this upcoming match. Then I thought that it might be useful for some of you here too. I know that there are at least some of you that know all this and have no need, but I'm betting that there are more that are like I was just a little while ago that have mostly no idea where to start.

So, take a look at this pdf I made of a simple chart that includes 6 common lower cost, low velocity loads sometimes used for these matches. Know that:
  • I only provided these in 10 yard increments instead of the 5 yard increments that I prefer because it's a lot of data entry typing and I'm no fan
  • Info is for CCI Standard Velocity, Aguila Match Rifle, Eley Club, Federal Match, Fiocchi Match and Lapua Club. All 40g lead round nose
  • Info is simply outputs from my ballistic application using my inputs and includes only drops data in inches, mrads and MOA. No wind holds
  • Accuracy of the charts seems to be spot on for my rifle at my location (near sea level). Your results may vary a bit, but these are a good starting point at the very least.
  • These are based on a 50 yard zero.
I may consider making some more of these charts for your consumption IF: you find them useful, I am provided with some specific load requests, I have the ability to pull the data from my ballistic app and if I feel like it.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks
Good information

Thanks for the information. I just printed out the chart. My grandson loves shooting one of my 22lr target rifles.

For some reason I can't get the chart to open on my iPad any one else have a pic of it I could check out

It should be a PDF format, which is relatively universal and I used for ease of printing for those that want to do so. For some reason photos of documents don’t always print that clearly. In any case, I snapped a picture of it and here it is:

20BF38B9-CFB3-424A-98B3-DEFC3F190DAA.jpeg

Okay all, for those that are still using the first chart on page one, I updated the chart(s) and made two that are posted on page two of this thread, post #74. They include the BCs that I used for each and separate out a few varieties of Federal for their own chart. In any case, here they are:

72E86727-8DCF-4850-8C32-9B0DF5027A4D.jpeg

D8C3555A-717A-4D55-94B5-5FDB24D1BF23.jpeg

I'm having good luck with the ELEY Force, 42gr @ 1250 fps through mu new Volquartsen. I haven't run actual vel's through my rifle yet I will this winter to prepare for our local LR .22lr matches. Has anyone else done any work ups on this hard to fine ammo?

I'm having good luck with the ELEY Force, 42gr @ 1250 fps through mu new Volquartsen. I haven't run actual vel's through my rifle yet I will this winter to prepare for our local LR .22lr matches. Has anyone else done any work ups on this hard to fine ammo?
How far do you shoot your eley Force?

I use BallisticsARC. You can try the free version before buying
What's nice about Ballistic Arc is that it can connect to a AB Kestrel. If you don't have one and you are at a match where other guys do, you can simply connect to theirs to pull the current atmospherics.

As long as one of them has the unit on and the blue tooth is turned on you can connect. They don't even have to know.

Just ping the unit for a few seconds and you got it.

I chrono every shot at a benchrest match. I'm getting better at record keeping but am still behind the curve on getting the info out in a useful manner.

What I have seen in the benchrest world is just how much extreme spread screws you over, a nice group or run of bullseyes gets ruined by the flyer 40 FPS faster or slower. 22 ammo just sucks for consistency, even the expensive stuff isnt immune to this.

Flags, wind anemometer, drop chart, chrono, patience:
qOEhGR1.jpg
isn't the chrono too close to muzzle? thought it needed to be 10-15'

Reactions: laker415
It's probably transonic/subsonic before 100 yards.

isn't the chrono too close to muzzle? thought it needed to be 10-15'
Started at 8 feet and kept moving it closer, did not change anything . This is not an issue with rimfire as you are not putting out a huge fire ball that could affect the chrono light sensors or a huge shockwave that could physically move the chrono. I’ve paired it with a labradar and they agree within a couple fps most of the time.

Thanks, I would like my Chrono to be closer with my 6.5 Creed and .223

I had one, it got to be too much of a hassle changing the spacers for every rifle and getting it to snug tight enough. I went to the Pro Chrono with built in Bluetooth so no more wires.

Shot with CZ457 Varmint MTR - 20.5" Barrel and Magneto Speed V3 Chrono.
BrandType AmmoVelocityAvg VelocityHighLowES/SDNOTES
SK40gr LRN - Long Range Match1106 fps1134115011931/9.6
CCI - Target40gr LRN - Standard Velocity1070 fps11141123110023/6.4
Federial Gold Medal40gr - Ultra Match1080 fps11401151113021/5.6
Federial40gr LRN - Target Grade1200 fpsN/A
ELEY - Target40gr LRN - Standard Velocity1085 fps11491160113921/7.3
ELEY - Tenex40gr LFN - Tenex1068 fos11561164115113/4.2
Wolf by Eley40gr LRN - Match Extra1085 fps11491160114020/6.9
SK40gr LRN - SK Magazine1073 fps10621089102564/23.6
SK40gr LRN - High Velocity Match1263 fps13411365131946/15.5
Remington40gr LRN - Thunderbolt1255 fps128813571232125/37.8
Norma USA40gr LRN - Match-221100 fps11341140111822/7.0
RWS40gr LRN - Pro line Rifle Match108211481162113725/7.5
Lapua40gr LRN - Center-X1073 fps11181130110228/7.6
Winchester42gr Lead HP - Sub-sonic1065 fpsN/AWill not chamber
Temperatures generally from 75-80F. Ammo was shot acclimatized to ambient temperature.

I’ve used the drop truing feature in StrelokPro to fine tune the app once I’ve got a chrono velocity. Bc changes with velocity, which is why with the large velocity degradation in 22LR at distance our solvers have trouble with it. I try to put in measured drop at several distances, shooting enough shots (at least 10) per group that fast and slow flyers don’t lead my calculations astray.

Shot with CZ457 Varmint MTR - 20.5" Barrel and Magneto Speed V3 Chrono.
BrandType AmmoVelocityAvg VelocityHighLowES/SDNOTES
SK40gr LRN - Long Range Match1106 fps1134115011931/9.6
CCI - Target40gr LRN - Standard Velocity1070 fps11141123110023/6.4
Federial Gold Medal40gr - Ultra Match1080 fps11401151113021/5.6
Federial40gr LRN - Target Grade1200 fpsN/A
ELEY - Target40gr LRN - Standard Velocity1085 fps11491160113921/7.3
ELEY - Tenex40gr LFN - Tenex1068 fos11561164115113/4.2
Wolf by Eley40gr LRN - Match Extra1085 fps11491160114020/6.9
SK40gr LRN - SK Magazine1073 fps10621089102564/23.6
SK40gr LRN - High Velocity Match1263 fps13411365131946/15.5
Remington40gr LRN - Thunderbolt1255 fps128813571232125/37.8
Norma USA40gr LRN - Match-221100 fps11341140111822/7.0
RWS40gr LRN - Pro line Rifle Match108211481162113725/7.5
Lapua40gr LRN - Center-X1073 fps11181130110228/7.6
Winchester42gr Lead HP - Sub-sonic1065 fpsN/AWill not chamber
Temperatures generally from 75-80F. Ammo was shot acclimatized to ambient temperature.
How many rounds fired for each?

10 rounds each
Thanks. I've added your data to my extensive spreadsheet that you've now put me over 1350 lines of it. :eek::)

Interestingly, it appears your gun is producing unusually higher velocities for almost all of those loads. . . even when looking at comparable barrel lengths.

Thanks. I've added your data to my extensive spreadsheet that you've now put me over 1350 lines of it. :eek::)

Interestingly, it appears your gun is producing unusually higher velocities for almost all of those loads. . . even when looking at comparable barrel lengths.
I questioned my data so i did a second test with a LabRadar. the difference was less than 5fps difference. The only conclusion I could come to is that the Action was a Match grade action and barrel.

Reactions: straightshooter1
I questioned my data so i did a second test with a LabRadar. the difference was less than 5fps difference. The only conclusion I could come to is that the Action was a Match grade action and barrel.
A match grad barrel will certainly account for higher velocities over factory and other non-match grade barrel. I saw that when I put a Shaw match barrel on my RPRF. The velocities you got for SK Long Range Match and Federal UltraMatch ammo is right there (very slightly higher) with what I got out of my 18" Shaw barrel; not only the MV's but also the ES's and SD's (my data from ~3yrs ago). All the others you fired were substantially higher out of your gun than my Shaw barrel by ~ 30fps. And BTW, I also used a MagnetoSpeed v3.

Just thought you might like to know for some reference. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: Pipefitter I’m
I have read all significant posts on this string, and I must say it is very enlightening. Many say real world data for your rifle and ammunition chosen. I selected 4 and only those 4 (Eley Match, Sellier Bellot Club, Lapua C-X, Fiocchi 320). The rifles I used for one year were Zephyr II 19.7" barrel and the Savage TRR-SR 22" barrel, both bought at the same time. SB Club was chosen because of price vs performance, it would have been CCI Standard but the coating used on the rounds causes failure to extract to often. All of the ammo 2 x 5 shot groups out of both rifles were always within averages, with same lots and environmental at 50 yards, Zephyr II was most consistent shooter. I went once a week missed two weeks (50 times), not mater if it rained. I used the same rests, and same range and targets to include a full reset per shot, real world right. SB Club was used to warm barrel and ensure my zero. Scopes leveled, plumb bobbed vertical, all targets leveled when mounted on board and same target splatter was used throughout. I had 1000 rounds of all the ammo and they were all stored in the same cedar chest.

What did I learn?

Match grade ammo is nice to have and all three shoot just as well as the other based on over all averages within .030 - .180. This included my "F" ups and flyers. The Savage TRR-SR was modified only in torque 30 lbs plus 1/8th" spacers applied to chassis mount screws. The other thing I discovered was the feeding and striation on rounds that failed to fire. The Savage was causing additional marks on the case and bullet compared the Zephyr. So at week 39, I manually inserted all rounds into the rifles. Pain in the a--, Zephyr didn't improve at all but the Savage showed marked improvement. I had 3 ten round mags and 1 5 round mag, so I tested them to see if they were the issue and sure enough all the ten round mags were causing the additional striations on the rounds via feeding, there was a slight design difference in the mags. The 5 round mag was of a tighter spec.

After week 39 the TRR-SR was shooting at times ridiculously tight groups .230 and below at times. The Savage was clearly the better bench shooter based on weight, scope (Arken 6-24x50 34mm tube G2), and bolt action. The Zephyr is my hunting setup, it has less weight and a Athlon 4-14x44 BTR 30mm tube mounted. I attributed the occasional amazing groups by the Savage do to the scope reticle, I put a second Arken scope on the Zephyr II that was one of my 6.5 Creedmoor's and Wela, lights out .300 and below much more consistently, added weight helped. The reticle on the Athlon was thicker.

As I said prior, all match ammo tested were equal in my observations. Zephyr will shoot Fiocchi as prefered, Savage will shoot Eley Match as prefered. They both will use Sellier Bellot as plinking ammo based on cost vs overall performance because 17% of the time it had the best groups. The more frequent fliers were what hurt its groups, if I discounted the fliers they were all moa or below and would have tied for 3rd place.

I will move on to 100 - 300 yards, I will test the same ammo but I will test more to determine best 4 at 100 1st, then go for it... I will record my dope, and see what happens.

The match grade ammo isn't worth bench shooting/plinking it gets boring plus at current price vs return on investment. If you compete, hell yes, but watch environmental, wind, temp, in sun/shade, and humidity. My elevation was constant. I did notice a wide difference, for example at 28 degrees in the shade, zero wind Lapua was the winner in both rifles, when 94 degrees zero wind, Eley Match won both were significant and was the only difference. I didn't have many calm days, my prefered is based on averages, the order or sequence in rotations was always equally rotated after cold bore. So I firmly believe you may want to have extreme temp prefered rounds.

I hope this helps...

Cost, hold your breath:

Zephyr II $750.00, 20 SH 25 FFL
Savage TRR-SR $480.00 " "
Arken Scopes 2ea. $750.0 total
Athlon Scope $185.00

Ammo all 1k rounds:

Sellier Bellot Club $100.00 SH 40.00
Lapua C-X $360.00 SH Free
Eley Match $430.00 SH Free
Fiocchi 320 $360.00 SH Free

Range fee: $300.00 1yr.
Splatter Targets $110.00 SH Free

Grand Total :mad: $4,228.2 tax rate was 8% only on taxed items > $289.00
1 time cost Total: $2,434.32
Enjoyment Level, Moderate until I go hunting > High:)

Exspensive hobby!

Wow! Great AAR with all those ammo types. .22 really is an easy rabbit hole to go down now that there are so many great options for rifles, gear and ammo.