• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Some of you guys are in for a surprise

The Savage 10FP was a decent rifle, it was prior to the accutrigger changes.

We bought 5 Savage 10FPs in 260 when we did the Ghost Dancer project with Greg and Co. savage sold me them for $250 each as they were discontinued

My first .22 was my grandfather's 29A Savage pump. I shot a lot of pennies with it. It's still a tack-driving little pump.

Savage 99's are among the best deer guns ever made.

Savage is a great company.... or was until they became badge engineered. And they are still better than a lot of stuff out there.

But they aren't... snipery. Maybe could be. But not.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Hand tight will not freeze the treads to the point where a breaker bar with 250lbs on it won’t unscrew the part. That is impossible.
Let's agree to disagree. Been a machinist for 30 odd years, but NOT a gunsmith (and ain't gonna be. I will gladly give my money to those more skilled than I) and have seen stuff spun on, by hand, stop suddenly and a 12 foot cheater bar with three guys hanging off it would not get to move. One in a million? Yes, but the only thing that would remove that part (Trackhoe cylinder piston in the particular instance I am remembering) was carbide and a lathe.

@StraightJacketArmory I haven't done business (mainly because I am a .22lr whore :LOL: ) but I read that thread (didn't get to THE post I guess) and decided that I had no dog in the fight and any advice I could offer (remember, NOT a gunsmith) might just fuck things up worse so I shut my keyboard mouth and went on. If I ever get the itch for a custom CF rifle I will definitely hit you up! Shit happens and you made it right. That's good enough for me!

Last edited:
I feel like the best response a commercial vendor can give a publicly pronouncing dissatisfied customer is to reply with “Please contact us directly to discuss the matter,” and nothing more.

Anything more gets said vendor into the “If you’re explaining you’re losing” zone.

-Stan

iu
Its the little details that make a masterpiece. Like a skeletonized trigger. Or a cool logo on the magazine that dangles a foot below the fricken pistol grip LOL.

The Savage 10FP was a decent rifle, it was prior to the accutrigger changes.

We bought 5 Savage 10FPs in 260 when we did the Ghost Dancer project with Greg and Co. savage sold me them for $250 each as they were discontinued
Wasn't that an old Savage long action with StraightJacket barrel, that Jacob Bynum taped to the 2x4 and nailed 1k? That was funny

I was a long time lurker before the Scout stuff and finally joined. I was lurking to find info before buying a rifle and scope for my LEO job. I found the depth of knowledge was amazing and helped me settle on a Ruger Precision Rifle setting it up with a Nightforce ATACR scope. Since most of my shooting was relatively short distances compared to the ELR here, I still feel my knowledge and skill is far less to others on here.

If there was one thing I learned as a police officer, it was when to keep my mouth shut. I totally agree with the anti-cop sentiment here running rampant. It exactly what we see with one bad actor with a gun in the news and all gun owners are the blame. Usually I just read or ignore threads. I used to at least try and be a voice of reason saying if a guy is a bad cop, screw them... but there was way too many that would be ready to burn all cops at the steak after one news article about something one cop did. I finally gave up and quit even bothing to post in those threads.

I hope the changes LL makes resonate because the information available here is beyond impressive.

I will once again say thanks to lowlight for everything he does behind the scenes as the head ban cat handler.

Breaker bar, we used to call it cheater bar. I had a piece of 1 inch EMT and I labeled it "Ron's Torque Magnifier." I lost it.

Made another one and labeled it "Ron's 2nd Torque Magnifier." Lost that one.

Made another one and labeled it "Ron's Torque Magnifier to replace the other ones I lost."

Now, if I could just find that one and take a pic of it....
64820_I-4040736642.jpg

Breaker bar, so you don't break your ratchet putting a cheater pipe on it. I broke one. 🤣🤣

Last edited:
Let's agree to disagree. Been a machinist for 30 odd years, but NOT a gunsmith (and ain't gonna be. I will gladly give my money to those more skilled than I) and have seen stuff spun on, by hand, stop suddenly and a 12 foot cheater bar with three guys hanging off it would not get to move. One in a million? Yes, but the only thing that would remove that part (Trackhoe cylinder piston in the particular instance I am remembering) was carbide and a lathe.

Yup. I have lived the same nightmare. Siezing up is especially common with mating similar or same alloys. Copper, aluminum, stainless, all of it. Happens sometimes, even with parts that have passed multiple QC inspections on the threads. If someone has never machined threads they may not think its a thing, but I assure you it is. Even screwing in by hand. BTDT.

No the Jacob Savage was after I left RO and had nothing to do with the Ghost Dancer project

The Ghost Dancer project was the brainchild of @Greg Langelius * one of the still active, original members. In fact it might have been Greg that said, go make a website this one sucks to me.

Greg predicted the rise of 6.5 in 2000-2001. We choose to match grade a 260, well before there was anything but Remington CoreLok. We used 139gr scenars at 2850 and it’s still the magic speed for that class of bullets.

Savage sold us 5 10FP rifles in 260, we rebarreled them, McMillan made the first A Series stocks for them, ( Savage then changed everything with the AccuTrigger models of today) and we put in aftermarket triggers and shot the Spirit of America match. We did poorly but loved the experience, we used to take site trips, we went to Gunsite and did the XLR course with Cory, he added a day for us to shoot a bunch of 338 bullets to see who they really worked. There were Shot Show meet ups, I had a booth, Rifles Only, etc.

It was an awesome project and a great time, the internet was free, we might have had 4500 members, and we were making moves in the industry by asking companies to listen to us and make what we wanted. We built empires here, the PRS was born here, the list is long and distinguished.

This is pretty ironic. Since a lot of people here like to cry fake news so much.

But then you listen to the news on LE things.

The only reason you think there’s issues with LE is because the media tells you there is. If you actually look at the numbers, the odds are ridiculously small that you’ll ever run into a real issue with LE.

But, like most things here, people pick and choose what they want to believe in the news. When it’s something that supports your bias, it’s good info. When it doesn’t, it’s fake news.

You guys act like people in LE are somehow different than you, the people you work with, and everyone else on the planet.

Some of us have had guns pulled on us by cops in our own apartments because they couldn't read the correct number....different kind of 2am special. Luckily I didn't have a gun in my hand or I wouldn't be here today.

Thank the fuck they didn't have the turbo version of lights back then.

Not saying you are wrong but distrust is warranted in some cases.

No the Jacob Savage was after I left RO and had nothing to do with the Ghost Dancer project

The Ghost Dancer project was the brainchild of @Greg Langelius * one of the still active, original members. In fact it might have been Greg that said, go make a website this one sucks to me.

Greg predicted the rise of 6.5 in 2000-2001. We choose to match grade a 260, well before there was anything but Remington CoreLok. We used 139gr scenars at 2850 and it’s still the magic speed for that class of bullets.

Savage sold us 5 10FP rifles in 260, we rebarreled them, McMillan made the first A Series stocks for them, ( Savage then changed everything with the AccuTrigger models of today) and we put in aftermarket triggers and shot the Spirit of America match. We did poorly but loved the experience, we used to take site trips, we went to Gunsite and did the XLR course with Cory, he added a day for us to shoot a bunch of 338 bullets to see who they really worked. There were Shot Show meet ups, I had a booth, Rifles Only, etc.

It was an awesome project and a great time, the internet was free, we might have had 4500 members, and we were making moves in the industry by asking companies to listen to us and make what we wanted. We built empires here, the PRS was born here, the list is long and distinguished.
We thank you
IMG_6229.jpeg

Glad to know this site (Frank) doesn't condone all the rampant cop hating bullshit that has been flooding the site as of late.
Started to remind me of AR15.com

Reactions: Marine52
My first .22 was my grandfather's 29A Savage pump. I shot a lot of pennies with it. It's still a tack-driving little pump.

Savage 99's are among the best deer guns ever made.

Savage is a great company.... or was until they became badge engineered. And they are still better than a lot of stuff out there.

But they aren't... snipery. Maybe could be. But not.

Cheers,

Sirhr
Looking back at my youth, I wax nostalgic at a Savage 99 w/ 4x Weaver in .243.

It makes sense, but still sucks when shit gets like this on here and people get Das Boot.

Im not a “more rules” type, but bad mouthing companies BEFORE you contact them and give them a chance to rectify the situation should be an auto ban.

If you report the post, I just delete the thread

Anytime I get a report related to Anti LE, I just kill the thread. But if you don’t report it, i won’t see it, I don’t go in the Bear Pit as @Maser is there and he might force me to make him a moderator, if he finally produces the nudes of his baby mama, I’m sure he’d be a shoe in for the position. Hence my dilemma.

Anytime I get a report related to Anti LE, I just kill the thread. But if you don’t report it, i won’t see it, I don’t go in the Bear Pit as @Maser is there and he might force me to make him a moderator, if he finally produces the nudes of his baby mama, I’m sure he’d be a shoe in for the position. Hence my dilemma.
Maybe he will let you be the P Diddy to his Meek Mill

*the pitter patter of cheeks being clapped in the distance*

• Haha
Reactions: AngryKoala
Including scopes, bipods, triggers, stocks, bullets ect, the list was long. Them were the days, and who is to say they can't be repeated?

Reactions: Lowlight

@StraightJacketArmory I haven't done business (mainly because I am a .22lr whore :LOL: ) but I read that thread (didn't get to THE post I guess) and decided that I had no dog in the fight and any advice I could offer (remember, NOT a gunsmith) might just fuck things up worse so I shut my keyboard mouth and went on. If I ever get the itch for a custom CF rifle I will definitely hit you up! Shit happens and you made it right. That's good enough for me!
I have a few Vudoo’s from when I was the marketing and sales director there. My wife has the very first proof 22 LR ever put on a Vudoo. I love Rimfire, and Airguns too!

You guys act like people in LE are somehow different than you, the people you work with, and everyone else on the planet.
Just off the top of my head....

General non-LEO people do not receive training specifically intended to manipulate a desired verbal response.

Or training to intimidate others.

Or training to fill out forms leaving out certain data and manipulating other data to make things more likely for a given outcome in a court of law.

I could go on all day here....thousands of little things cops think are normal behavior THAT ARE NOT that are implicitly trained into young cops noggins.
They (you?) even have a union that will come runnin to supply a lawyer for you/them......here's a tip, NOBODY else has that.

Qualified immunity ?
So the cop can do crimes and not be held accountable.

Please, do go on.

I have three 1/2" breaker bars in my truck tool box that broke with a cheater bar while trying to loosen lug nuts on a Cat rubber tire backhoe.
That’s when you move up to 3/4” breaker bar /impact wrench and if that doesn’t work you step it to 1” stuff

Reactions: Im2bent

You don't wanna see my Grindr account. ☺️

Reactions: ACard
Just off the top of my head....

General non-LEO people do not receive training specifically intended to manipulate a desired verbal response.

Or training to intimidate others.

Or training to fill out forms leaving out certain data and manipulating other data to make things more likely for a given outcome in a court of law.

I could go on all day here....thousands of little things cops think are normal behavior THAT ARE NOT that are implicitly trained into young cops noggins.
They (you?) even have a union that will come runnin to supply a lawyer for you/them......here's a tip, NOBODY else has that.

Qualified immunity ?
So the cop can do crimes and not be held accountable.

Please, do go on.
Why is this even being discussed here, have you read a single word I posted ?

This just reads like, you’re too scared to ban me.

I'll agree with you.
In the instance (seen more than one) I spoke of earlier, It was a Parker hyd cylinder with a removeable clevis. We had removed the clevis and re-packed the cylinder. The threads on the stainless rod were app 2" threads and very fine. The clevis was forged steel. We cleaned the threads thoroughly and slathered them with Copper never seize. We screwed the clevis on over 1/2 way by hand without any problem whatsoever. Then it just stopped. OK we'll unscrew it a little and see what the problem is-nope, won't move either way. Put a wrench on it and the cylinder rod turned. Used a backup on the rod and it's still locked up. Heat the clevis-used an 8 foot piece of polished rod through the clevis and it backed off maybe 1/4 turn with 4 people pulling on the rod. After that all we could do was go ahead and cut it off with a cutting disc. Split it in 2 pieces and when we finally got them seperated there was nothing but a galled-up mess where the threads were. I don't know if maybe we used the wrong anti-seize for stainless but it still seems impossible to destroy the threads by screwing it on by hand. I have NEVER trusted anything stainless since then.

Thinking out loud here and I'm sure this suggestion won't be too popular since it will increase the workload on the staff. One easy button solution I see to avoid fiascoes like this would be to have the moderators lock down, but not delete (yet), customer complaint type threads when (or shortly there-after) they get posted up. Moderator informs the person who made the post to try all avenues of contacting said company to settle the matter offsite before the thread gets considered to be unlocked. At that point the mod can tag the company in the post if they happen to be a site sponsor or vendor to bring the matter to their attention. If the OP has done everything they can, and they can prove it, to settle the matter with said company, let it be at the mod's discretion to allow the thread to proceed. That would leave it up to the OP to provide burden of proof. OP would also have to maintain contact with the moderators to keep their thread from getting archived or deleted. Set a time limit for updates to the mods by the OP, if he can't update his situation, then delete thread so we don't have newbies linking these locked threads asking if the company is legit every other week. Again, just thinking out loud here, after watching the SJA thread play out I see this as a way to slowing down or stopping the underserved dogpiling, the downside would be if another Liberty Optics fiasco were to happen, it might slow the spread of info to the masses.

Reactions: Ronws
I said Savage pictures were forthcoming...

Attachments

• 20240417_174407.jpg
    20240417_174407.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 101
  • 20240417_174352.jpg
    20240417_174352.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 98
  • 20240417_174349.jpg
    20240417_174349.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
  • 20240417_174149.jpg
    20240417_174149.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 103
Thinking out loud here and I'm sure this suggestion won't be too popular since it will increase the workload on the staff. One easy button solution I see to avoid fiascoes like this would be to have the moderators lock down, but not delete (yet), customer complaint type threads when (or shortly there-after) they get posted up. Moderator informs the person who made the post to try all avenues of contacting said company to settle the matter offsite before the thread gets considered to be unlocked. At that point the mod can tag the company in the post if they happen to be a site sponsor or vendor to bring the matter to their attention. If the OP has done everything they can, and they can prove it, to settle the matter with said company, let it be at the mod's discretion to allow the thread to proceed. That would leave it up to the OP to provide burden of proof. OP would also have to maintain contact with the moderators to keep their thread from getting archived or deleted. Set a time limit for updates to the mods by the OP, if he can't update his situation, then delete thread so we don't have newbies linking these locked threads asking if the company is legit every other week. Again, just thinking out loud here, after watching the SJA thread play out I see this as a way to slowing down or stopping the underserved dogpiling, the downside would be if another Liberty Optics fiasco were to happen, it might slow the spread of info to the masses.
Certainly more work for mods but I do like that idea. If only to prevent dog-piling and airborne excrement contests.

I have a savage, it’s pretty gay compared to my R700 with a Brux honestly. I would like to put a heavy .223/6mm barrel on it(savage) though

Makes me want to get a Savage just to be an outlaw, a ne'er-do-well, a rapscallion, a scurge of the forums. But I already have a few other rifles that are just as horrendous and I keep that to myself.

Reactions: mtrmn
Makes me want to get a Savage just to be an outlaw, a ne'er-do-well, a rapscallion, a scurge of the forums. But I already have a few other rifles that are just as horrendous and I keep that to myself.
Mines not terrible but let’s be real, it’s a box stock factory gun…it’s no comp winner. I definitely shoot my other rifle way better than the savage at distance.