• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Some PX Thoughts the direction I am heading

I personally like the direction of things. I scan the PX from time to time but still learning before I start dropping the money.

But I totally agree with being cautious of terms like "veteran" or "NCO" A site i frequented several years ago tried ripping off enlisted rank insignia of the USMC and couldn't figure out why that pissed me off. I walked away from them.

This is a great group of guys here. I don't think I have a lot to contribute at times because I am still learning in the Precision realm but I have always been treated well and try to treat others the same.

Thanks to LL for a site Im happy to add my two cents to, even when .02 wouldn't cover what I add... It feels like home.

Reactions: rsb
1549770112881.png

@Lowlight Here is another “my 2 cents” post. I have bought from many “small” companies either making something as a hobby or just starting out. This is a great forum to get product visibility, build a base of customers and get honest feedback as they are building their business. Hopefully this is allowed to continue in some way. I can imagine starting out the commercial sales license would be a bit much for this to continue.

Reactions: kortik and DIBBS
@Lowlight Here is another “my 2 cents” post. I have bought from many “small” companies either making something as a hobby or just starting out. This is a great forum to get product visibility, build a base of customers and get honest feedback as they are building their business. Hopefully this is allowed to continue in some way. I can imagine starting out the commercial sales license would be a bit much for this to continue.

That is very true.

Maybe a percentage fee from the small and new businesses.

Frank, can you make up a special tag for me, a 10 year member that was too stupid to figure out I didn't actually need to buy the lifetime full membership upgrade at $100 to sell in the PX? Perhaps turn my stupidity into training access :) If not it's worth the donation for the site.

It's actually kind of funny how unrelated things lead you to a conclusion. I had problems posting my first ad in a long time, it didn't like my picture html links that led me to start to look if I was not qualified to post in the PX anymore or if there was a "fee" for posting in the PX as many sites do, which led me to the full membership saying that's what you needed to post in the PX and bam instant stupid.

Reactions: Bender
I am getting set up with a commercial account and LL has been extremely helpful to me as a very small, very new business without much of a budget for advertising. I think for what you get a commercial account is a steal. For the first 2 months 90% of my sales were directly from SH. Being able to say, “here is my product and this is how I do things” I think has been very beneficial because people like good quality/customer Svc. The guys trying to act like they aren’t a business are probably losing more money by pretending to be an individual than if they would just set the account up and pay the fee and show people that they run a good business.

I am getting set up with a commercial account and LL has been extremely helpful to me as a very small, very new business without much of a budget for advertising. I think for what you get a commercial account is a steal. For the first 2 months 90% of my sales were directly from SH. Being able to say, “here is my product and this is how I do things” I think has been very beneficial because people like good quality/customer Svc. The guys trying to act like they aren’t a business are probably losing more money by pretending to be an individual than if they would just set the account up and pay the fee and show people that they run a good business.

I'm just about convinced to buy one of your bags, it will be nice to have you as a full commercial supporter of the site.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
I'm just about convinced to buy one of your bags, it will be nice to have you as a full commercial supporter of the site.
Yea it has been in the works. When I reached out to LL late last year he said the hammer was going to come down on Jan 1. He was nice enough to allow me to sell until the new rules got put in place which was extremely helpful as I had only sold maybe 15 bags at that point.

Here is the difference,

Some small businesses DEMAND a deal, others ask.

I am a small business, I am a 1 man shop, I have a family to support.

Instead people act like the server costs are not a mortgage payment, I barely stick my hand out, and I have been burned by companies large and small. Look at all the guys with FFLs here selling as individuals, when they know they are doing business. They lie to your face and get mad when you confront them. 100s of posts just sales. And much of the membership, happy to go along for the sake of a deal.

This site and myself have made more companies successful than I can list. I never asked for a piece of the action. I never said to any of them, you owe me. Try getting involved with some of the others outlets, big dollars up front, plus a percentage fee while you are there. Very few come back later and say thanks, some do, but most try to rewrite history. The honest guys will tell you what an impact this site has made.

I charge pennies on the dollar, I have to beg to get paid, my deals are for people who understand I am also in business. It takes money to make money, and unless you are willing to pay your fair share I'll pass. When I went to Scout I got an email from a guy, doing close to 100% of his business on here. Never knew anything about him, yet he was angry because I ruined his business with the move. He never once paid his fair share, there is more than one like him living under the radar.

I decide, and don't need to be told who to take care of. I don't care what Accurate Shooter does, or AR15 does, if you come at me expecting me to bend over backwards for you, I walk.

I have never understood where the military rank badges come from. Private, PVT First Class, Sergeant ...etc. Are they earned some way, or just generated by number of posts.....or what?

The rank is a holdover from the original, original site. It just gets carried over. It's actually different on this site but also carried over from the beginning.

It's based on post count, the more posts the higher the rank. But this is now a 4 different type of software change.

I don't even think it displays right because of changes over time. I would probably have to run maintenance on the user list to try and flush it. Still doubt it would repair the corruption within the code. Upgrades are not what people think.

The rank is a holdover from the original, original site. It just gets carried over. It's actually different on this site but also carried over from the beginning.

It's based on post count, the more posts the higher the rank. But this is now a 4 different type of software change.

I don't even think it displays right because of changes over time. I would probably have to run maintenance on the user list to try and flush it. Still doubt it would repair the corruption within the code. Upgrades are not what people think.
Thanks for the explanation, it makes sense now.

@Lowlight I hope my post did not imply that they should not contribute to your small business for giving them the opportunity and revenue. I know running a business is not cheap and not easy. Your site gives many the ability to build that business and benefit us shooters at the same time. I have seen those "individuals" with 500+ posts of FS "like new", constant bumping of posts which is cheating everyone who is honest and enjoys this site (vendors and individuals). Ultimately it is your house your rules. If anyone don't like it we have an option to GTFO.

Small businesses have been a consideration since the beginning, which is why I don't feel I need to be reminded.

The reverse is the issue, people who feel I don't do enough or those who feel they don't need to pay for the benefits. If you go back to the podcast posts about the PRS just a few short months ago, a Johnny come lately named Nick Settings specifically wrote that I did nothing to help and that in fact I suppress business only caring about the money. I stick my hand out first was implied.

The advantage being taken is staggering and chasing it down is impossible because of the history of looking the other way or not seeing it in a timely manner. The fact I want to tighten it down should not taken out of context.

Remember this site started in November 2000 I did not monetize it until 2008 even then, it's never been fully realized because our industry just doesn't understand it. Tons of small machine shops with no concept of marketing, sales, advertising, etc. Only the big marketing companies understand the value. A $500 budget here is a $25,000 budget if this was a golf website with the same traffic.

I believe we are extremely fortunate to have this site. I would be happy to pay an annual fee to use same Frank, and I believe most members would. There is such a wealth of information here, which I hope to tap into as I start into ELR from precision rifle shooting. I know the classifieds are a pain in the ass, perhaps an additional fee to use same per ad there is also in order, prior to posting. 5 bucks an ad?

Last edited:
Makes sense, please however make sure these rules are posted as a sticky at the top of every sales forum, Previously the rules were kind of hard to find. I support all of these rules. The PX section has been a huge help to me/for me.

I would however also add that people with less than 30 or more meaningful posts should not be allowed to post "for sale" items.

Also, sellers, as you have indicated, should have the right to refuse to sell to people for valid reasons.

Last edited:
I believe we are extremely fortunate to have this site. I would be happy to pay an annual fee to use same Frank, and I believe most members would. There is such a wealth of information here, which I hope to tap into as I start into ELR from precision rifle shooting. I know the classifieds are a pain in the ass, perhaps an additional fee to use same per ad there is also in order, prior to posting. 5 bucks an ad?

This is easily accomplished by becoming an online training member

Reactions: DIBBS and Waorani
Thank you @Lowlight for not removing the PX entirely. I have only made one purchase, but gained a lot in doing so. I do second any opinion on scammer/shitbag hatred. Nothing I cant stand more than people who expect something for nothing. I like the titles, they're fun. It keeps the hide unique. This site has been a wealth of information, and opportunity to share and confirm my own thoughts and findings. The world is a small place, and there are a lot of people trying to make our place, as shooters and enthusiasts, a lot smaller. This community, as tough as it can be, gives all of us big kids our own safe place to play. And for the shitbags, a "ban ""mushroom"" hammer"

Edited to correct a spelling error

I am still adjusting, (read: playing around) the backside trying to clean up some of the changes. You never know with some software how it will react, and clearly, this software works so I need to learn it better.

I did make it so you can change your own user title in your profile. In the past, only certain groups were able to change it, but it's easy to just let anyone do it for themselves.

The badges I like because they help us, and I am starting to get the hang of them.

The badges are User Groups, the Titles are not customizable. Or they will simply follow the rank structure.

The rank structure is post count based, but letting people customize it I think is better.

Hahaha,

Logout cause I ain't changing shit unless something comes along that I like

Fair enough, and I apologize as I was in a scotch and stogie induced influence when I saw the change. Was thinking it was a derogatory label to caution others. I love this forum and appreciate the efforts that go into maintaining it , in addition to the candid comments by others lol. I won’t apologize for the pride I have of being a grunt, but do apologize for my previous comment. Keep up the good work Frank

Fair enough, and I apologize as I was in a scotch and stogie induced influence when I saw the change. Was thinking it was a derogatory label to caution others. I love this forum and appreciate the efforts that go into maintaining it , in addition to the candid comments by others lol. I won’t apologize for the pride I have of being a grunt, but do apologize for my previous comment. Keep up the good work Frank

Alcohol and the hide... has claimed many a souls and wallets.

Please, please, please, in the name of all things holy, give me the title of Known Troll.

Respectfully.

Bender.

Known Troll,
perhaps the highest honour that can be awarded to folk who are contributing members but also able to appear as total bellends.

Reactions: Bender
Means you are a Registered User and not a Full member

For guys with more than one badge, their accounts are just checked with both Registered and Full Membership, it just did not remove the registered tag when they moved into full membership.

it's redundant and product of the software changes more than anything else, they just have the account marked in more than one way.

Reactions: blbennett1288
@Lowlight Is the Hessian tag for life?

I bought my 100 posts (to post in PX) over two years ago. Not sure if it is still done that way or not, but I paid because I thought that would have been more respectful than posting 100 times asking questions that have already been asked and answered. Option 1 post 100 times and use the forum for free, or option 2 give money to the forum I am benefiting from. I chose to give money instead of taking it for free. I am still relatively new to the sport, being a quite guy in general, and do not offer alot of knowledge that isn't already posted here, hence my low post count. However I am on the site almost daily, reading, learning, watching the PX.

I may be looking into this wrong, but from reading this thread it seems that the people that paid for PX access are viewed in a negative light. If I would have known that at the time, I wouldn't of paid for PX access. I now have this badge that carries a negative connotation on my profile even though I have been on the site religiously for two years, creating and responding to many threads.

Saw another guy with a Hessian badge that had been on the site for 10 years... Not sure why everyone on the site needs to know he paid a fee to access the forum many years ago.

By the way, I've been enjoying the Everyday Sniper podcasts. You bring a lot of great info to those podcasts. Thanks.

@Lowlight Is the Hessian tag for life?

I bought my 100 posts (to post in PX) over two years ago. Not sure if it is still done that way or not, but I paid because I thought that would have been more respectful than posting 100 times asking questions that have already been asked and answered. Option 1 post 100 times and use the forum for free, or option 2 give money to the forum I am benefiting from. I chose to give money instead of taking it for free. I am still relatively new to the sport, being a quite guy in general, and do not offer alot of knowledge that isn't already posted here, hence my low post count. However I am on the site almost daily, reading, learning, watching the PX.

I may be looking into this wrong, but from reading this thread it seems that the people that paid for PX access are viewed in a negative light. If I would have known that at the time, I wouldn't of paid for PX access. I now have this badge that carries a negative connotation on my profile even though I have been on the site religiously for two years, creating and responding to many threads.

Saw another guy with a Hessian badge that had been on the site for 10 years... Not sure why everyone on the site needs to know he paid a fee to access the forum many years ago.

By the way, I've been enjoying the Everyday Sniper podcasts. You bring a lot of great info to those podcasts. Thanks.

Whut.......

When I saw my moniker HESSIAN, I had a different take on it. In my other life: The HESSIAN matrix of a convex function is positive semi-definite. Refining this property allow us to test if a critical point x is a local maximum, local minimum, or a saddle point. I was given a bunch of different monikers, some worse than that, in that other life so it doesn't bother me. My other moniker BELLIGERENTS kind of fits when I'm talking to anti-gunners. I'm glad I don't have the moniker MINUTEMAN because my wife used to call me that sometimes.

The badges from what I have been told are systematically assigned. Those of us who paid to play are identified as such. It's only looked "bad" upon when low post counts and little time here. No need to worry about it. Allows users t identify and do greater due diligence. I have the same badge and have done plenty of deals here.

When I saw my moniker HESSIAN, I had a different take on it. In my other life: The HESSIAN matrix of a convex function is positive semi-definite. Refining this property allow us to test if a critical point x is a local maximum, local minimum, or a saddle point. I was given a bunch of different monikers, some worse than that, in that other life so it doesn't bother me. My other moniker BELLIGERENTS kind of fits when I'm talking to anti-gunners. I'm glad I don't have the moniker MINUTEMAN because my wife used to call me that sometimes.
My wife still calls me that...