• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Someone is going to be pissed...

Re: Someone is going to be pissed...

That green reticle gave away the fake part of it. And the seller had only 8 feedback points !!! Someone will surly be really really pissed the F*** off.

I reported that last fake to eBay as well and will watch what happens. The seller posted that "it's the best scope they make".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: roggom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone get any replies from the eBay'rs? </div></div>

I have been reporting them for the last few months as I find them. Both to e-bay and the seller of the replica/counterfeit, advising the seller of their fake and where to look to verify authenticity themselves. Other than e-bay’s “thanks for reporting” automated return message I have yet to get a reply.

If you are dumb enough to buy one you get what you deserve. Exspecially when a real one is only a few hundred more than what you spent. Like everyone said there are some major flags on that pile.

The 6.5-20 Mark IV, I own has red illumination. I dont believe they were made any other way.

Buy from reputible dealers!

Or, ask for the serial # and Leupold can tell you the history on it!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: roggom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this another? http://cgi.ebay.com/leupold-mark-4-tacti...4#ht_500wt_1156 </div></div>

Ha just asked this guy this:

<span style="color: #FF0000">$1200 seems a little steep for a fake scope any chance you'd take $40 as this scope as this sells for $89 on several airsoft sites?</span> </div></div>I just asked the same question......We should flood his acount with all sort of silly questions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njlohmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is the reason I prefer to buy used off of the Hide and not Ebay. </div></div>

Exactly. Not worth taking a chance. People in this world are absolutely ridiculous. No ethics or morals. Just out to make money and screw other people over.

Maybe a better answer is to alert Luepold so their lagal beagles can take a crack at them.
The can issue a cease and desist.

That scope is eventually going to end up on their doorstep for warranty work anyway.

I got this response from the ebay'r who bought the fake scope from nekhunter and had left positive feedback.

"Hey i just called them (Leupold) and looked at a real one online from a dealer. thank you for the heads up i am going to report it to ebay and to paypal."
- jprc86

That's nice to hear. I hope he paid with a credit card.

Looks like the buyer left negative feedback and noted why as well in the description.
Ebay should be spanked… at least 3 of us gave them a heads up!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoExpert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who's to say the "buyers" aren't him under different user names or his friends doing the bidding to try to make him look legit? </div></div>

That's a distinct possibility.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unreconstructed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got this response from the ebay'r who bought the fake scope from nekhunter and had left positive feedback.

"Hey i just called them (Leupold) and looked at a real one online from a dealer. thank you for the heads up i am going to report it to ebay and to paypal."
- jprc86

That's nice to hear. I hope he paid with a credit card. </div></div>

How were you able to contact the buyer in the first places? Aren't their names usually all starred out?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wakerider017</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
How were you able to contact the buyer in the first places? Aren't their names usually all starred out? </div></div>

After leaving feedback, the buyer's eBay name is listed in the sellers feedback. Click on the buyer's name, and under his profile there is a link to contact him.

I just asked him if the Ser# was 8888sc. FYI 8888SC = a fake 4.5x14 and 9999SC = a fake 3.5x10.

When you contact Leupold, tell them to have the auction veRO'ed.

eBay has a service called the "VeRO" (Verified Rights Owner) program, where Leupold can have eBay shutdown suspicious auctions before they end.

Already reported it to Ebay ... that shit makes me pissed off. Thats fine that the buyer should beware... but it just pisses me off.

I know where you can buy a peq-15 "Real cheap"!
wink.gif

Need I say more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mypos5mikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here are alerts on Leupold and MILLET:

http://reviews.ebay.com/Leupold-Scope-Counterfeit-Warning_W0QQugidZ10000000003445687

http://reviews.ebay.com/MILLETT-counterfeit-scope_W0QQugidZ10000000001629802

Leupold appears to be the main target. It's bound to happen if you move some of your production to China. </div></div>

Holy Shit !!! They are making fake Milletts ? That .......is really weak
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Holy Shit !!! They are making fake Milletts ? That .......is really weak
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Yup, I stupidly bought a TRS-1 off ebay from someone that had great feedback. I got the scope and it looked good, in Millet packaging, and was made nice. I was emailed by another one of his customers (thank you if it was another hide member) to check if it was a fake. Sure enough, there were a lot of little differences that tipped me off. After checking, the pictures in the listing were different than what I got but the differences were minor. The guy refunded my money and said "sorry for the confusion". Ha! I reported the dirtbag as soon as the refund hit my account.

The sad thing is when I bought the real TRS-1 from Midway, the optics were worse than the fake. I have since bought a used Leupold off Calguns and am muuuuuuch happier and didnt spend much more. Good lesson.

^^ Wow the real deal worse than the fake, you must have went through a bunch of ammo sighting in those scope swaps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: roggom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^ Wow the real deal worse than the fake, you must have went through a bunch of ammo sighting in those scope swaps. </div></div>

Never even mounted them. I should have known better but I was trying to save money. Never will try to go cheap on optics again though, I am just lucky I got my money back on both of the cheap ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mypos5mikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here are alerts on Leupold and MILLET:

http://reviews.ebay.com/Leupold-Scope-Counterfeit-Warning_W0QQugidZ10000000003445687

Leupold appears to be the main target. It's bound to happen if you move some of your production to China. </div></div>

Leupold has not moved any of its riflescope production to China. All their riflescopes (including the Redfield line) are built and assembled in the Beaverton Oregon facility. All the metal is machined and finished here in the US. They do buy their lenses from a variety of overseas manufacturers. Their Gold Ring and Mark 4 spotters are also made in Beaverton Oregon. Their OEM product are bought from overseas (Items like rangefinders, most of the binoculars and some of the spotters)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Craven Morehead</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mypos5mikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here are alerts on Leupold and MILLET:

Leupold has not moved any of its riflescope production to China. All their riflescopes (including the Redfield line) are built and assembled in the Beaverton Oregon facility. All the metal is machined and finished here in the US. They do buy their lenses from a variety of overseas manufacturers. Their Gold Ring and Mark 4 spotters are also made in Beaverton Oregon. Their OEM product are bought from overseas (Items like rangefinders, most of the binoculars and some of the spotters) </div></div>

Almost all optic manufactures buy lenses from overseas. I guess they are better at making coated glass in Japan...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Craven Morehead</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mypos5mikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here are alerts on Leupold and MILLET:

Leupold has not moved any of its riflescope production to China. All their riflescopes (including the Redfield line) are built and assembled in the Beaverton Oregon facility. All the metal is machined and finished here in the US. They do buy their lenses from a variety of overseas manufacturers. Their Gold Ring and Mark 4 spotters are also made in Beaverton Oregon. Their OEM product are bought from overseas (Items like rangefinders, most of the binoculars and some of the spotters) </div></div>

True, if we're talking about gold ring - as we should. I believe their green ring (or Rifleman) series is not made here, but then I'm not sure why Leupold would put their name on those, seriously. Obvious market penetration thing.

Actually the Rifleman riflescopes are a gold ring product and are made here in the US. As I said ALL the riflescopes are made here, it is things like rangefinders, most of the binoculars and some spotting scopes that are made offshore and branded as Leupold products.

I wonder if the purchaser could bring criminal charges against this dirt bag and put his rotten arse in jail!

You see alot of fakes around today, especially on ebay.

Awhile ago I was looking all over trying to find a good priced used Aimpoint 3x magnifier.

I looked all over the for sale forums and ebay.

Ebay had a few listed, that were used and for sale by an individual that claimed they were real.

I looked closely at them and after reading a post put up about fake Aimpoint mags I determined that it indeed was a fake.

I don't believe the seller wasn't trying to scam anyone, he had a good selling record and wasn't a big seller or anything.

I sent him a link to the site on the fake aimpoint magnifiers and he pulled his sale immediately after.

He lived in the same area as the guy who wrote the origional article on calguns.net and I think he got ripped off by a vendor.

It seems their is/was a legit aimpoint vendor in that area that was selling knockoffs right along side thier legit aimpoint products.

Here's the link to the article he wrote, it's scary how real the fakes look and unless you have a real one to compair it to you'd never know it was fake.

Recognizing a fake Aimpoint Magnifier:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=97770

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Craven Morehead</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kylongshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how about this one???

http://cgi.ebay.com/Leupold-Mark-4-M1-10...=item3a65852d37 </div></div>

It's legit. To my knowledge no one has done any counterfeits of the fixed power Mark IV's YET. Everthing looks right on that one. </div></div>

he said he called leupold and they said it was legit, but when i called they said it was fake, my mark4's dont have the cheesy big MARK4 on the bottom...

Fake Milletts? That's funny as hell for some reason.
laugh.gif

he said he called leupold and they said it was legit, but when i called they said it was fake, my mark4's dont have the cheesy big MARK4 on the bottom...[/quote]

Actually all the older fixed power Mark IV's (6x M3, 10x M1 & M3 and 16x M1) did have that laser etching on the bottom of the turret I have a 10x M1 that I bought in '95 with that same etching on the bottom and I know for a fact that is legit. I believe that they removed it the same year that they came out with the first of the variable Mark IV line, 3.5-10x40mm M3 specifically and none of the variable power Mark IV's have never had it on them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kylongshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Craven Morehead</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kylongshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how about this one???

It's legit. To my knowledge no one has done any counterfeits of the fixed power Mark IV's YET. Everthing looks right on that one. </div></div>

he said he called leupold and they said it was legit, but when i called they said it was fake, my mark4's dont have the cheesy big MARK4 on the bottom... </div></div>

That one was missing the nitrogen fill port as well. At least all of my Mark 4's have one, with a little round sticker over it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbsinh20</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kylongshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Craven Morehead</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kylongshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how about this one???

he said he called leupold and they said it was legit, but when i called they said it was fake, my mark4's dont have the cheesy big MARK4 on the bottom... </div></div>

That one was missing the nitrogen fill port as well. At least all of my Mark 4's have one, with a little round sticker over it.

</div></div>
That was one of the reasons that Leupold took that etching style off of the bottom of the turret. They changed the method that they used to fill the scopes with nitrogen gas. As I recall that was in about 2003 or 04.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kylongshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Craven Morehead</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kylongshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how about this one???

he said he called leupold and they said it was legit, but when i called they said it was fake, my mark4's dont have the cheesy big MARK4 on the bottom...</div></div>

This might be his second ebay identity and he is faking all this to make some business.

Feedback From / Price Date / Time
Negative feedback rating accepted payment, refused to ship, said sorry, he knew acct frozen pre sale Buyer:
Member id asecrest2002 ( Feedback Score Of 51Blue star icon for feedback score in between 50 to 99)
May-06-11 03:57
9-3 Saab Headlight Left Driver side 1999 2000 2001 2002 (#170627820790) US $70.00 View Item 9-3 Saab Headlight Left Driver side 1999 2000 2001 2002
Negative feedback rating Item was a counterfeit Leupold scope. 2nd counterfeit sold in ten days. Buyer:
Member id 475454 ( Feedback Score Of 6 )
May-01-11 16:09
Leupold Mark 4 (IV) Rifle Scope: 4.5-14x50mil/mm - MINT (#170633209921) US $780.00 View Item

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clay_James</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1/4 ft. adjustments at 100 yards? That must be hard to zero
laugh.gif
</div></div>Well, maybe if your taking the shot from China, it might get you in the ball park!