• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Someone's input on velocity estimation. Is my barrel that fast, or is Strelok that bad off

groundhogbuster

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2012
Western NC
I had an estimate on my Beanland 260 shooting 139's @ around 2800 with 46g h4831sc, and I don't own a chrono, but just got finished shooting steel @ 517yds. Strelok said I should be at 9.5 min low at this distance with the 140 berger hybrids, and I was a ft high. After cranking down to 8.5 min (34 clicks up) I was dead nuts.
Can someone run this and see what kind of MV I should have? Here's the stats
2700ft elev
47gr H4831sc @ 2.900 oal
75 degrees
260 Rem, MTU Krieger 8.5tw 24" tube
I am figuring at 2870fps, but I know the barrel shouldn't be that fast with 140's and 47g H4831sc, and with this Strelok is still showing me at 9.37 min.
Optics are a NF NXS 3-15x50 with the Velocity 1000 in mv.5, with .250 min adj, but using it at a 200yd zero I'm still a foot high without cranking on the knobs, this is why I zero at 100, and dial. Thanks anyone

BTW I'm showing absolutely NO signs of pressure, as primers are tight after many firings, no extractor marks, sticky bolt, nothing. Thanks again

I don't have all your info, but I ran some numbers, the best I could, through Strelok, based on what you posted above. Using a velocity of 2750 and a 200 yard zero, I get 8.46 MOA drop. If I keep the scope at a 100 yard zero and use the 2870 you posted above, it shows 8.96 MOA drop. I'm sure there are some numbers that are missing or incorrect, but the first thing I would double check is that the scope has a 200 yard zero in Strelok. That seems to be pretty close to what you're showing above.

I got 2925 fps with a 100 yd zero. A certain "program " :) predicts 2846 fps. With pressure at the max.

It's 100 yd zero. Yes it's designed for a 200yd zero, but the mv.5 isn't working with my loads, and I'm a turret turner so I just use the center x hair and dial. I repeated the same thing with 139's with 45.1g h4831sc and hit a 5"x5" steel plate @ 517 yds with same dope (8.5 min come up). That's the funny part. I loaded up about 50 139's with 45.1g and 30 140 hybrids with 47 gr, and was getting same POI, but the 139's were tighter. This was a super calm day and 75 degrees. Well I loaded up a few more virgin Rem with 45.1, and used 5 once fired that I shot earlier, and loaded 47gr with the 139's this time at 2.810". It just shot a 0.12" group @ 100 yds and was 1/2" high and 1/2" left. If I was getting 2900's from a 45.1g load, Lord knows what the 47gr load is. Also no sticky bolt, no extraction mks, just slight more punch on the recoil. I was 1.5 min low at 200, and with the 47g load I'm 1 min low @ 200. I loaded up 3 more to shoot at the 517yd target, and I shot clear over the 5x5" steel, came down to 8 min come up and "DING" . I never have loaded the 47g with 139's because the book, but I figured if it says I could with 142 smk, then why not a 139?
IDK what to do now, but the 45.1g load is dead nuts with 8.5 moa come up at 517, but I could buck the wind better with the 47g load at Matches. Anyway this thing has to be over 2900fps, I ran it on JBM and was getting pretty close at 2900 with the 45.1 load. I don't wanna burn a barrel up faster than need be, but what would you guys do?

Here's the 47g group @ 100

Last edited:
... but what would you guys do?

Run it through a chronograph.

Edit: I'm not trying to be a smartass, but you've got a custom rifle, Nightforce scope and you're handloading with some of the most expensive bullets one can buy. I think it's time, man!;)

Last edited:
Run it through a chronograph.

Edit: I'm not trying to be a smartass, but you've got a custom rifle, Nightforce scope and you're handloading with some of the most expensive bullets one can buy. I think it's time, man!;)

Yeap, it's hard to do anything LR w/o a good chronograph. For instance, I LOVE shooting deer long range. The day I go hunting I shoot 5 or 6 over my magneto speed and plug into Ballistic AE and I'm ready to go. Last time I did it I smoked a doe at 660 yards.
But that's just the tip of the iceberg. I also am able to calculate the temp changes on my powder.
EVERYONE NEEDS A CHRONOGRAPH IMO

Speaking generally, trajectory validation will only let you know what fps or bc to change to match the observed bullet drop. Doesn't mean the recommended fps is true if the BC is false and vice versa. The closest thing is to use the bullet's Cd input rather than a average BC input. Example, using the Cd rather than average BC could show noticeable different fps for that observed bullet drop with Cd inputs reconciling closer to accurate chronograph output. At least in my experience. I don't know about other apps but Strelok Pro version allows for Cd input. Personnally, I don't think it matters as long as your observed bullet drop is the base that other inputs are based on . So what if the fps input is 2633 but the true fps is 2608 if 2633 is the input that matches your observed bullet drop. With that in mind you really don't need a chronograph. You just need good observed bullet drop and then match your inputs to that to estimate fps and/or BC.