• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Something exciting, from Japan..Vintage WWII

JoshcBoucher

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2011
Northern Delaware.
Assumed: Ariska, with emblems. I was out to dinner with a friend I hadn't seen, in a while. He's a "casual" friend, and a doctor, and not really into guns. The conversation wandered towards new hobbies, so I mentioned my interest in rifles and long range shooting. He tells me about this rifle he acquired many years ago from his uncle's estate. Apparently his uncle fought in the Pacific, and brought this gun back home from the War. The only thing my friend knew about it, was that it was a Japanese gun with "neat little emblems", stamped on it. He has it in the back of a closet. I asked when he had cleaned and oiled it last, and he said "never". I have an APPOINTMENT, with him, this weekend. I'm taking my cleaning kit and a new case. Would any one know an approximate value that I can mention, so he takes better care of it? Oh, and he has the bayonet for it. I'll report in, on the condition, after I see it.

Depends on which model he has. There are a couple that were used by Japan. Condition is everything. Take pics and post them and we can better tell you a value.

Check gunbroker. Earlier versions are nicer than late war versions which have crude finishes. Without knowing the details, the value range estimate is wide. I would guess $200 to $400.

Value will depend on condition, series, maker, if all numbers are matching, if the mum is in tact or scrubbed, if the matching dust cover is present, if the original cleaning rod is present, etc..... Basically you need to get pictures and check back here. Another thing to look for is if the screws are "staked", if so you know that it has most likely never been apart.

Make sure you have the series number, in Japanese or translated, in front of the serial number. It will be 6.5 or 7.7 mm. Check other things as mentioned. The bayonet is gonna be near $100 with a scabbard and if not messed with or sharpened. Rifle, about as mentioned value wise. A monopod for support will add $150ish. Rod is -$50 if missing. Refinished stock a bigger problem. Non-matching numbers, often being the bolt, will hurt some too.

Well, call me stupid. I was on the site, when it dawned on me to ask a question. Should have done some other searches, which I have, now, completed. The only time I heard any thing about them, was on a Sons of Guns episode, where they treated one like it was the golden fleece. Should have known better. Thanks, guys.
Check gunbroker. Earlier versions are nicer than late war versions which have crude finishes. Without knowing the details, the value range estimate is wide. I would guess $200 to $400.

That S of Guns episode was stupid. They had to make ammo??? They had to clean and certify it was OK? Stupid!! I have several hundred rds of 6.5 Japanese. Not that hard to find. The guys trying to show just how tough a T38 type action is shot 7.7 bullets through a T-38 6.5mm and there was no failure. The bullet came out a bit smaller but no failure. A case full of Bullseye pistol powder will occasionally blow one up if you use a 7.7 bullet. It is no wonder the show is falling apart.

I bought my first Arisaka in 1984 for $5. The last one I got (about 3 years ago in a large 'bulk' purchase from an estate) I gave away to a friend who wanted one for his collection. It really didn't cost me anything.

Today, Ariska's have a pretty wide value range, especially if the chrysanthemums are intact... The Imperial mums were ground off a lot of rifles before being surrendered. Those are worth a lot less. I've seen most Arisaka's offered (not necessarily sold) in the 'few hundred' range, but a select few go into the four figure range, especially documented paratrooper rifles. Provenance helps, as do good 'war stories' and capture paperwork which can put the rifle into a certain battle or island or engagement. Then you are buying a story, not just a rifle.

They are still not super-valuable compared to some WW2 rifles, but I think that's simply an artifact of a collector market that does not appreciate Japanese firearms. Made in Japan and "Gun" simply have never motivated the collector market. As military rifles, the Arisaka's are very under-rated and very collectible. For someone who wants to put together a collection... now is a good time. Because IMHO, in the next few years these will really shoot up in value. And putting together a set of Arisaka variations these days is not only possible, but can be done on a budget.

Cheers and looking forward to hearing more from the OP.

Sirhr

Last edited:
Well, I've seen the gun. It was in great shape. Had the cleaning rod, bayonet, dust cover. It ALSO had a 1/4" hole drilled in the forward part of the receiver, where "Uncle Bob" put a pin so the gun wouldn't shoot, anymore . Oh well.

Can you post a picture of this 1/4 hole? The type 99's have a hole drilled the top of the receiver between the mum and the model designator. Not sure if this is what you are talking about.

Can you post a picture of this 1/4 hole? The type 99's have a hole drilled the top of the receiver between the mum and the model designator. Not sure if this is what you are talking about.

I saw that one. This hole is on the bolt handle side, just above and back a little from the front receiver pin/screw. The bolt is stuck, partially open, and wont close or open. It just wiggles 1/4 in. either way. Because of that, I couldn't move the cover back far enough to see the script on the top. I tried a little pressure, but it wouldn't budge. Who knows if the story about Bob making it unshootable is true, but I couldn't operate the bolt. Thanks for the interest.

I may be totally off-base with this but I thought I remember reading once-upon-a-time that the Arisaka's could accept an aircraft sight... either a wire circle or a long-leading left-right 'bar' which helped Japanese soldiers lead aircraft. Part of their doctrine was using massed rifle fire at enemy aircraft... and the Arisaka's were issued with anti-aircraft sights. Again, I may simply be having a senior moment.... but that may be the purpose of the rear threaded hole on the receiver.

Cheers,

Sirhr

That's too bad someone would demil a piece of history like that. The M38's and 99's are solid shooters. Even the last ditch rifles are generally good shooters, aside from some cosmetic issues. I had a type 38 from Manchuria (Mukden) that looked like hell, had a worn barrel but, functioned perfectly. It was in 6.5mm and was a lot of fun to shoot.

Your memory is correct, Sir.

I may be totally off-base with this but I thought I remember reading once-upon-a-time that the Arisaka's could accept an aircraft sight... either a wire circle or a long-leading left-right 'bar' which helped Japanese soldiers lead aircraft. Part of their doctrine was using massed rifle fire at enemy aircraft... and the Arisaka's were issued with anti-aircraft sights. Again, I may simply be having a senior moment.... but that may be the purpose of the rear threaded hole on the receiver.

Cheers,

Sirhr

The rear flip up sight had "wings", that flipped out to horizontal, on each side. The rifle I inspected did not have the wings, though the sight was set up for them.