• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Something New From Vortex

Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but looks like Vortex is rolling out a new/updated 5-25 scope in their lineup. With their release of the 5-25 Strike Eagle not long ago I'd think this might be something on the higher end, but have no idea.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPQ-Pa3Byin/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
From Eurooptic website as announced recently. $700 MSRP. Impressive specs for that price. However, there are no free lunches. Glass must be recycled Coke bottle bottoms......

The Venom 5-25x56mm Riflescope by Vortex was designed for beginners in the long-range precision shooting field, but comes packed with next level features. The Venom 5-25x56mm comes equipped with the advanced EBR-7C reticle in the first focal plane. This reticle features a precise center dot with a “Christmas Tree” pyramid of ultra-fine sub-tensions and holdover dots to compensate for bullet drop and wind drift. The Venom 5-25x56mm also features Vortex’s RevStop zero-stop system, allowing the shooter to return to their original zeroing after making finely tuned adjustments in the field.

Features of the Vortex Venom 5-25x56mm Riflescope:​

• Vortex exclusive RevStop zero stop system
  • First Focal Plane EBR-7C reticle
  • XD optical system
  • Exposed turrets
  • 5x – 25x magnification range
  • Available in MOA and MRAD

Included Accessories:​

• 3” sunshade
  • Turret tool
  • Rubber lens covers
  • Lens cloth
  • Throw lever
  • 2mm hex wrench

Specifications
  • Item ConditionNew
  • Scope Weight:35 oz
  • Scope Length:15.3"
  • Magnification Range:5-25
  • Scope Objective Diameter:56mm
  • Scope Tube Size / Mount:34mm
  • Turret Adjustment (Click Value):.25 MOA
  • Elevation Turret Details:85 MOA
  • Windage Turret Details:85 MOA
  • Parallax Adjustment:15 yds - ∞
  • Reticle Position:FFP
  • Reticle Details:EBR-7C
  • Field of View:21.2' - 4.7'
  • Eye Relief:3.6"
  • Illuminated Reticle:No
  • Package Includes3" Sunshade
    Lens Cover
    Throw Lever
    Rubber Style Lens Cover
    Lens Cloth
    2mm Hex Wrench
    Turret Tool
  • Scope Finish:Black
  • Scope Turret Rotation:Counter Clockwise (CCW)
  • Product TypeRiflescopes
  • UPC843829113175
  • MPNVEN-52501

"The glass in this Chinesium optic is gonna suck."

Why? Has optical quality (brightness, resolution, clarity, etc) not improved over the last decade? Are we comparing this scope to an ATACR or Tanget Theta, or other optics currently and historically priced similarly?

Somebody should do a comparison with a Gen 1 PST, which was nearly double the street price a decade ago and really kicked off the entire "budget friendly tactical optic" market.

Wasn't that long ago when the Vortex HST was a pretty damn good choice at the $500 price point; now our cup overflows with FFP, etched tree reticles, zero stops, good elevation range, surprisingly decent optical clarity, etc. and we bitch like spoiled children that it isn't a ZCO competitor...

Got to love people shitting on a new budget option that might not be for them but is going to be a great deal for many new shooters getting into the hobby not wanting to spend $1700 on a Razor Gen 2. Or for people like me who do not need Tier 1 glass on a gun that might get out a couple times a year.

Do I love my Gen 2 Razor? Yes.

Do I love my Gen 2 PST? Yes.

Do I really like my Diamondback Tac? Yes, for what it's used for.

Good work Vortex, keep up the good work and pushing out new product lines. It's been fun growing with you over the years from my first budget HST to newer Razor.

I am DELIGHTED every time I see these companies pushing the envelope on the low end.
There will never be a $2k-$3k optic in my gun safe. It does not matter how long I save, or how much money I put to the side. Why? Because it is a hobby. With five children (holy crap, teenagers EAT) and an amazing wife at home, it would never be reasonable to spend that kind of money on a toy for myself.
Now, spending it on four or five scopes over the course of a few years, that is a different story! Now it is an investment in an awesome family pastime! Bringing us closer together, passing on beloved traditions, and teaching valuable lessons to our children.
The warranties these companies are using now are also wonderful. When I was young, kids were not particularly trusted with a scoped rifle. These days, I don't hesitate at all to mount them on the rifles I purchase for my children.
Keep them coming!

"The glass in this Chinesium optic is gonna suck."

Why? Has optical quality (brightness, resolution, clarity, etc) not improved over the last decade? Are we comparing this scope to an ATACR or Tanget Theta, or other optics currently and historically priced similarly?

Somebody should do a comparison with a Gen 1 PST, which was nearly double the street price a decade ago and really kicked off the entire "budget friendly tactical optic" market.

Wasn't that long ago when the Vortex HST was a pretty damn good choice at the $500 price point; now our cup overflows with FFP, etched tree reticles, zero stops, good elevation range, surprisingly decent optical clarity, etc. and we bitch like spoiled children that it isn't a ZCO competitor...

If the glass is similar to the SE then I'd say it's better in many ways that the Gen 1 PST.
My SE is a far nicer scope than the HST I had, nothing would make me trade in the SE for my old HST.

The resolution of certain PST Gen 1 models is better than the SE and maybe CA is controlled better but the SE has a much wider FOV and a far more forgiving eyebox.

Only 5 or so years ago a Leupold Mark 4 was considered a fairly good scope for the price.
You also wouldn't get me to use my old Mark 4 of the SE or this new Venom.

Cool, thanks for letting us know.
Years ago, I placed top 10 in a 1000 yard match with a factory Ruger, pst Gen 2 and the rings that guy speaks of…. I’ve always thought they were really well made for the money they cost, in comparison to others….
But I do have high dollar optics also… but never saw fault in the vortex rings

Nothing to gain by a fixed power FFP scope since the reticle increases in size as power is increased

however no matter what the $5,000+ gun owners say about our choices of equipment to shoot. It’s great to see their tails between their legs when they don’t place and a factory PRS gun with a Vortex does. Enjoy the ring if steel!

I’ll post a review after this weekend shooting with the new Vortex Venom 5-25x56

Reactions: RanchRifle
Nothing to gain by a fixed power FFP scope since the reticle increases in size as power is increased

however no matter what the $5,000+ gun owners say about our choices of equipment to shoot. It’s great to see their tails between their legs when they don’t place and a factory PRS gun with a Vortex does. Enjoy the ring if steel!

I’ll post a review after this weekend shooting with the new Vortex Venom 5-25x56
Thats not what he said.

Imagine. Razor glass. 15x fixed EBR-7C (maybe minor tweaks to line widths)

Would be cheap and indestructible. I'd rock a few

Thats not what he said.

Gee what you said I understand. Not sure how you got that interpretation unless I missed a prior post or needed to read more into the post.

if I recall SFP has a sweet spot for ranging and/or where the MOA of the hash marks are dead on while the hash marks MOA on FFP remains the same throughout to zoom. However FFP sucks for hunting in woods and thick stuff.

back to the subject of the thread. I hope the scope meets my expectations when I test it this weekend on targets and ringing steel over the long holiday weekend

Reactions: b6graham
Gee what you said I understand. Not sure how you got that interpretation unless I missed a prior post or needed to read more into the post.

if I recall SFP has a sweet spot for ranging and/or where the MOA of the hash marks are dead on while the hash marks MOA on FFP remains the same throughout to zoom. However FFP sucks for hunting in woods and thick stuff.

back to the subject of the thread. I hope the scope meets my expectations when I test it this weekend on targets and ringing steel over the long holiday weekend
SFP and FFP refer to the scaling of the reticle as magnification changes. Those terms have no meaning in the context of a fixed magnification scope.

Reactions: godofthunder
After looking and comparing the stats I am now a fan which I wasn't originally.
Real street pricing.
Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 $400.
This new Venom $500.
Strike Eagle $700.

Put yourself on a budget and go. IF $500 is all ya got, then Venom it is. I started looking at the Leupold Mark 3HD's for my kid's .22 and the ONLY thing I like about that Mark 3 HD is it's low weight. Eye box sucks, TMR reticle is too thick and is SFP. Venom for the win pending glass review.

Thats not what he said.

Yes, exactly. I do about 98% of PRS shooting at 12-15x. I would love to have something in that range for my less frequently used rifles. The only option I see right now is SWFA which is not terrible but not up to my standards either.

Yes, exactly. I do about 98% of PRS shooting at 12-15x. I would love to have something in that range for my less frequently used rifles. The only option I see right now is SWFA which is not terrible but not up to my standards either.
i dont even move off 16x for 22 or centerfire except when zeroing sometimes

i want it to weigh 48oz still though hahaha

maybe i should OEM one from LOW

16x at 48oz and 10x at 30oz

Reactions: phlegethon
I'm a big fan of Vortex scopes but without an illuminated reticle, it's worthless to me.

i dont even move off 16x for 22 or centerfire except when zeroing sometimes

i want it to weigh 48oz still though hahaha

maybe i should OEM one from LOW

16x at 48oz and 10x at 30oz
Everyone knows prime lenses easily beat zooms for image quality. We should definitely petition Vortex. There must be a market of dozens of us at least.

Reactions: b6graham
SFP and FFP refer to the scaling of the reticle as magnification changes. Those terms have no meaning in the context of a fixed magnification scope.
I am so sorry for getting involved in this thread! I fully understand SFP and FFP and I wrote in English. The first post about wanting a 15x fixed with a modern reticle made no reference to a razor or the fact that they wanted the same reticle as the scope asked about in this thread. Therefore I worded my response based on the initial post. I should have waited for it to be explained in the proper context by 2 or 3 different people
The hash marks whether MOA or MRAD stay the same angle of measurement regardless of zoom on FFP and change with zoom on SFP. A lot of scopes today are designed for specific disciplines of shooting and individual preferences. I also made no mention of the effect of ballistics for a reason. It’s a shame that the threads on blogs lose their path shortly after a couple posts, which doesn’t help the person that asked the first question

those that pointed out that not everyone has unlimited funds are the ones providing honest answers. Keep in mind the scope is new and nobody has done any type of review on the product in question. Maybe we should all just stay on the path and wait for some reviews to see what people think. If it’s not a NF and god help us if it’s mounted on a savage then it’s junk.
Cheers for vortex offering a new product at a price point that doesn’t break the bank and has specs that may very well make it a scope above the diamondback tactical and and worth looking at for both new and seasoned shooters. Vortex advised me to wait 2-months when I inquired about a scope with a zero stop at a price point close to the their diamondback tactical 6-24 and hopefully I made a good choice

I am DELIGHTED every time I see these companies pushing the envelope on the low end.
There will never be a $2k-$3k optic in my gun safe. It does not matter how long I save, or how much money I put to the side. Why? Because it is a hobby. With five children (holy crap, teenagers EAT) and an amazing wife at home, it would never be reasonable to spend that kind of money on a toy for myself.
Now, spending it on four or five scopes over the course of a few years, that is a different story! Now it is an investment in an awesome family pastime! Bringing us closer together, passing on beloved traditions, and teaching valuable lessons to our children.
The warranties these companies are using now are also wonderful. When I was young, kids were not particularly trusted with a scoped rifle. These days, I don't hesitate at all to mount them on the rifles I purchase for my children.
Keep them coming!
“Daddy, I’m hungry."

“Food is for the winners. Now put your lens covers on your S&B before you get up from position, or you’re gonna low-crawl again. You’ll eat when you consistently make your 1k hits. MREs are under the turret in back of the ‘Gauer."

Priorities...

Reactions: RanchRifle
You are not alone on waiting for mid range AMG.I have moved on but if they do make one i will be interested.

I need to purchase a new scope for my daughter’s 22 comp rifle.
I know this a shot in the dark and subjective but….
Vortex Venom $500 new?
Vortex Strike Eagle $700? (Don’t really want to spend this much yet until I know how long she wants to stick with this)
I can get a like new used pst Gen 2 3-15x44 locally for $550
Or what about an Athlon Midas Tac?
thanks

Vortex Venom $500 new?
Vortex Strike Eagle $700? (Don’t really want to spend this much yet until I know how long she wants to stick with this)
thanks
fuck the pst gen 2

fuck the pst gen 2
You could do that if that's your thing I suppose.
Vortex Venom $500 new?
thanks

I think for a 22 competition rifle the SE would be my preferred option, the Venom does 99% of what you want for that purpose, I like the stupid wide FOV of the SE though and the locking windage turret.
The SE is likely available at a discount so closer to $550-$600.

I love my 3-15 PST have owned it for about 3 years now and used it for 22 matches as well an hunting and centrefire matches and think it's great.
But if you plan to shoot tiny 22 targets or shoot past 100m frequently there's an argument to be made for more magnification, personally I've found 15x to be fine 99% of the time though.

It will sell well, it's FFP, it looks more tactical than other $500 options, and once you get to those low price points, people love the no questions warranty, it's good to see these features trickle into more everyday scopes. Without comparing them optically, on specs/features I'd buy the Bushnell Match Pro, same price, same FOV, similar elevation (once you lose 6 mil of adjustment using the zero stop on the Vortex), and you gain illumination and locking turrets and slightly shorter parallax with the Bushnell.

Vortex is always hard to figure out their MSRP games, they must throw darts to figure out what street/MAP price will be. SE MSRP $799, been out a year, still almost everywhere is selling it for $699, $599 if you really look hard. Release a brand new Venom with a $699 MSRP, and it's already everywhere for $499. Both from China. For me I wouldn't buy another SE unless it's for a .22 rig, not when I can get PST Gen 2's for just a bit more. That said if your budget is $500 hard stop, this probably isn't a bad option for your $.

“All gave some and some gave all”; today we remember all that gave their life to protect our country, values, principles and our lives. Thank you to all our veterans
=================================
I was able to get to the range today to try out my new Vortex Venom 5-25x56 with the EBR-7C MOA reticle, mounted on my new savage 110 elite precision chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. Weather was not the best; 48-50 degrees, soggy and heavy overcast with 5-10mph wind

my comparison is between the Vortex 6-24x50 Diamondback Tactical with EBR-2C MOA which I have shot on same gun for 4-weeks and I have had one my RPR Rimfire for 1-year.

I was looking for a scope with a zero stop that wouldn’t break the bank. The Venom fit the price range I wanted.
-$499 scope Midway
-$145 Vortex 34mm 1.1” PMR rings Brownells *
*the Votex rings are made by Seekins for Vortex (Made in US). 34mm rings seem to all have a starting point in the $145 range and up

The Venom has a zero stop, which was the key feature I wanted
Pros when compared to the Diamondback
-From initial opening appeared to be very well made and rugged
-11 oz heavier
-clarity of glass is better.
-Turrets and parallax knobs are larger and easier to grab
-No frosting on edges when at full zoom. Diamondback does not exhibit frosting either
-more positive turret clicks. Audible
-the EBR-7C is similar to the EBR-2C, except for the small center dot between crosshairs on the 7C
-20MOA factory scope base will make up for the MOA loss when using zero stop feature and makes the total MOA basically equal to the diamondback tactical’s 65 MOA elevation.
-Once adjusted there was no movement of the scopes crosshairs.
-MOA adjustments for 200/300 yards were made using the SBC app and and were spot on using the reloads I developed while the diamondback was mounted. I actually found that the venom MOA adjustments matched more closely than the diamondback.
The SBC ballistics app does not have the Venom in its library but it does have the Razor HD gen 2 4.5-27 EBR-7C and was set to 25x. Shooting 140 ELD-M at 2735fps with Hogdon Superformance.
-I also found that with the combination of eye relief and overall length of the scope when fitted with the sunshade, the gap between the scope and MDT ACC mirage shield was filled. This was not the case with the diamondback and sunshade where I still had 2.5” of exposed barrel.
-the 56mm sunshade has internal threads allowing for a second shade if preferred

first impressions: 5-Stars

I'll see if I can go & have a look through one of these for a .22 or put in on the manbun & swap the diamond back to the .22
FYI some pricing in Aus on some of the scopes mentioned in this thread.

VORTEX
DIAMOND BACK TACTICAL
6-24X50 FFP 30MM TUBE $649

VORTEX
VENOM
5-25X56 FFP
34MM TUBE $669

VORTEX
STRIKE EAGLE
5-25X56
ILLUMINATED RETICLE FFP
34MM TUBE $1115

VORTEX
VIPER PST GEN II
5-25X50 $1845

We are getting access to these in Aus now too
BUSHNELL
BUMP6245BF2
MATCH PRO
6-24X50
30MM
FFP
DEPLOY MIL $1019

BUSHNELL
BUMP6245BF8
MATCH PRO
6-24X50
30MM
FFP
ILLUMINATED DEPLOY MIL $1135

I have two monthly nrl22 matches near me and shot my second one this past weekend. I have been taking off one of my centerfire scopes and using it to shoot the matches. A guy had one of these Saturday and let me check it out. I immediately went home and ordered one and received it today. For what I'm going to use it for it's perfect. The glass is actually pretty dang nice to my eyes. Only dialed out to 100 yards but was drilling a 3 inch plate off of a step ladder with it. We will see if it holds up.
20210616_195404.jpg