• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Source for Mauser magnum action?

HSNARC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2010
Central Illinois
Id like to build a traditional style hunting rifle with a hand oiled walnut stock and deep rust bluing to go along with my tweed suit and gentlemanly demeanor.

What are my options for a “Mauser” action with a magnum (.532) bolt face and un-modified 375 H&H internal mag length?

Seems like the CZ 550’s are gone same with zastava Mkx.

I would really prefer to be able to buy a bare action ready to barrel and not have to cut up or modify a mil surp.

Maybe a Parker Hale Model 1200. They aren't made anymore but the action is a Mauser design.

I recently aquired one in 308 Winchester. Haven't shot it yet but it looks like a very nice rifle.

Take a look at Mayfair or Granite Mountain, here is a link that has some info on them:

If you want the a classic that will retain its value, maybe look at a vintage or new Rigby.
I found Mayfair recently but after reading a bit I thought they don’t sell to individuals only certain builders and at “if you have to ask” prices

If it were me I'd look at the used market. You can pickup what you're looking for between $3-8,000. It will cost you $10-15,000 to have one built and stocked by someone who is really good and I wont even mention how many years you may have to wait... Depreciation is quite large on the custom wood/mauser bolt guns too, making the used market a better option if you're more budget conscious. Rigby offers some really nice guns in the Highlander line and they hold their value much better than a custom gun. Guns International is your friend in this endeavor.

Here's a good example, the selling price of this used rifle is close to what it would cost just for a wood blank and have it carved, finished, and checkered.

Reactions: buggz
Here's a good example, the selling price of this used rifle is close to what it would cost just for a wood blank and have it carved, finished, and checkered.
Man the figuring on that stock is sweet. Personally prefer a high gloss bluing on that style of rifle. But that thing is nice.

There are some real sleepers in the Mauser market and the best of them were imported by Sears, they brought in commercial actions from FN, some of the better built, and I think had High Standard stock and barrel them. The FN action is great and the bolt face can easily be opened up to handle magnums, at the same time the extractor needs to be ground a touch to handle the larger diameter. Search gubbroker for model 50 and Higgins and a couple usually show you should not have pay more than $500 for a rifle.

There is also Precthl, not sure how hard they would be to get here in the US:

To “feed the need for tweed“ I would find a nice vintage Rigby, H&H or Westley Richards.
Available yes, but $$$$$

😮
Damn!
0927A2B2-2B1A-475E-811C-3E85F9D08C61.gif

• Haha
Reactions: kthomas
To quote a wise man, “go be poor somewhere else.”:ROFLMAO:

Edit: The price on the Prechtl action makes the $10k for a complete Mauser rifle look more reasonable. Supposedly, the GMA actions are 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of the Prechtls.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: kthomas
There‘s a whitworth in 375 on gunbroker right now that fits your needs. Just like some else suggested anything Belgium FN, whitworth, CZ are awesome. I’ve heard good things about Zastava, Remington imported them for a few years as the 798 & 799. The CZ and zastava’s are going to need some polishing.

Agree with BJames. Recent Interarms Mark X, 300 Win Mag, in McMillan stock, did not get $500 opening bid on GunBroker. That would be a perfect donor for your project and sell the stock. The Interarms mauser actions need a little polish but are strong reliable actions. I have .300 H&H and .375 H&H rifles based on those actions and they are excellent shooters.

Reactions: BJames
There‘s a whitworth in 375 on gunbroker right now that fits your needs. Just like some else suggested anything Belgium FN, whitworth, CZ are awesome. I’ve heard good things about Zastava, Remington imported them for a few years as the 798 & 799. The CZ and zastava’s are going to need some polishing.

There is nothing wrong with Zastavas, been imported by Interarms as the Mark X, Charles Daly, Remington and now are available in the US under their own label. Rumor has it they got FN's machinery, drawings etc for the commercial 98's. The stocks on the Zastavas tend to have a lot of wood and often can be improved with a diet (think agressive use of a rasp).

To quote a wise man, “go be poor somewhere else.”:ROFLMAO:

Edit: The price on the Prechtl action makes the $10k for a complete Mauser rifle look more reasonable. Supposedly, the GMA actions are 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of the Prechtls.
Reviving this thread. Lol.

I was looking at the GMA actions, the problem I have been having is finding a stock that isn’t a chunk oh wood that has to be cut out. I don’t know if any prefit stocks exist for these.

Reviving this thread. Lol.

I was looking at the GMA actions, the problem I have been having is finding a stock that isn’t a chunk oh wood that has to be cut out. I don’t know if any prefit stocks exist for these.
For the price of a GMA, I’d rather buy a complete rifle from Heym, Rigby, etc. Check out eBay for mauser 98 stocks, lots of 1/2 finished ones at all price points, would need checkering, some final shaping, and a finish applied but most of it is done. There’s also stock makers here in the US that will make you a stock.

For all the effort it would take for a project like this, I’m starting to think it would be better to build a mordern sportsman’s rifle off a mausingfield in a classic caliber for the nostalgia. I wonder what guys like Harry Selby, Capstick, or Karamoja Bell would think if you handed them a rifle like in post #13?

For the price of a GMA, I’d rather buy a complete rifle from Heym, Rigby, etc. Check out eBay for mauser 98 stocks, lots of 1/2 finished ones at all price points, would need checkering, some final shaping, and a finish applied but most of it is done. There’s also stock makers here in the US that will make you a stock.

For all the effort it would take for a project like this, I’m starting to think it would be better to build a mordern sportsman’s rifle off a mausingfield in a classic caliber for the nostalgia. I wonder what guys like Harry Selby, Capstick, or Karamoja Bell would think if you handed them a rifle like in post #13?
I think you are right. I reached out to Rigby a couple of days ago concerning their Big Game PH in .416 Rigby. Pricey but turn key and will retain more value than a custom build.

I like the idea of building on a modern action but I want to look like John Henry Patterson! 😂

Reactions: BJames
I think you are right. I reached out to Rigby a couple of days ago concerning their Big Game PH in .416 Rigby. Pricey but turn key and will retain more value than a custom build.

I like the idea of building on a modern action but I want to look like John Henry Patterson! 😂
Oh I get it! That’s how I ended up with a CZ 550 in 458 Lott. Figured that was the easiest/cheapest way into something like Harry Selby and Ruark carried. At some point I need to send it to this guy http://www.rjrenner.com to reshape the stock into that classic safari look

Reactions: Cold_Bore_88
I own and operate a small custom rifle operation just outside Deadwood South Dakota. Our name is Satterlee Arms LLC. I started Satterlee Arms LLC. back in 1998. The focus of my work has been building rifles based on existing Mauser actions and our own in house produced square bridge M98. There are three of us working full time here and we produce around 25 rifles per year.
Attached for your viewing is one of our most recent works. This one is a 375 H&H based on one of our Satterlee Arms square bridge actions. The barrel features an integral quarter rib and sling band and a soldered on front ramp. On this build we've gone with the Smithson QD scope ring system which allows rapid removal of the scope, this is a unique system where slide actuated ball bearings lock into recesses machined into the square bridges. At first, I was skeptical of this system, however, this being our 3rd build using this system accuracy has been very good as it relates to a sub 10lb traditional style hunting rifle. All the metal surfaces on this rifle are hand polished to 320gt and then rust blued. Test ammunition for this build so far has been the commercially loaded Barnes Vor-TX 300gr, fired from the bench out to 100 yds, 1st round clean and cold out just a touch 2nd two nearly a perfect double.

Attachments

• IMG_0314 (2) - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0314 (2) - Copy.JPG
    465.8 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_0326 (2).JPG
    IMG_0326 (2).JPG
    563.9 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_0336 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0336 - Copy.JPG
    296.1 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0339 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0339 - Copy.JPG
    343.7 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_20220327_160300.jpg
    IMG_20220327_160300.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 146
I own and operate a small custom rifle operation just outside Deadwood South Dakota. Our name is Satterlee Arms LLC. I started Satterlee Arms LLC. back in 1998. The focus of my work has been building rifles based on existing Mauser actions and our own in house produced square bridge M98. There are three of us working full time here and we produce around 25 rifles per year.
Attached for your viewing is one of our most recent works. This one is a 375 H&H based on one of our Satterlee Arms square bridge actions. The barrel features an integral quarter rib and sling band and a soldered on front ramp. On this build we've gone with the Smithson QD scope ring system which allows rapid removal of the scope, this is a unique system where slide actuated ball bearings lock into recesses machined into the square bridges. At first, I was skeptical of this system, however, this being our 3rd build using this system accuracy has been very good as it relates to a sub 10lb traditional style hunting rifle. All the metal surfaces on this rifle are hand polished to 320gt and then rust blued. Test ammunition for this build so far has been the commercially loaded Barnes Vor-TX 300gr, fired from the bench out to 100 yds, 1st round clean and cold out just a touch 2nd two nearly a perfect double.
PM sent