• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Southern Utah National Park trip advice

Wife and I mad the same trip for our honeymoon.

If you have a chance stop and see "newspaper rock" it's a petroglyph with some freaky carvings.

That place is awesome, well worth it. Very cool history there.

Lots of great advice in here, I love that part of the country. I highly recommend renting a SXS for a day in Moab. If you go to Arches or Canyonlands, do it early morning when the park opens. Herds of zombie tourists start filling the place up and people suck. My favorite arches are way out of most people's reach and require a 4WD to get to. They are the best because you rarely ever see another person at them.

Once had an amazing multiday backpacking slot canyoneering through the San Rafael Swell. Felt like Mars, and not a soul around. Pay attention to the weather... God's country.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
OK here is the rundown of the trip.

We are leaving Saturday the 7th and heading to Albuquerque for the night then on to Springdale/Zion on Sunday. Staying at Watchman Campground in Zion. We have 2 full days in Zion and doing Angels Landing on day 1 and The Narrows on day 2. We wanted to hike Observation Point, but the good trail is closed due to a rock slide. I have read nothing that this rock slide is cleaned up as it happened in the spring. Some claim the trail, as it was, may never re-open. We MAY hike to observation point through the back side, but its a flat hike that everybody says sucks until you get to Observation Point.

Moving on to Bryce and camping at the commercial campground for 3 nights, Ruby's I think it is(bryce NPS campgrounds are first come first served for 2019 and we didnt want to not have a camp site). 2 full days there. Day 1 will be Bryce and we are planning the Fairyland Loop hike OR The Figure 8 combination(open to suggestions of one or the other). Day 2 heading to Escalante. We are planning to do Lower Calf Creek Falls OR Zebra Slot(again open to suggestions between the two). Dont have time or legs for both.

Been told to eat at the Hell's Backbone Grill in Boulder on our drive from Bryce to Fruita.

From there we are going to Fruita and Capital Reef NP. Have 2 nights, 1 full day there. Staying at NPS camp ground in Fruita. Not sure on the hikes. Looking at Hickman Bridge trail and also Cassidy Arch trail. Both are shorter so we would probably do both, but open to other ideas for something in the 5 mile range.

Next up is Moab. Ive been told to stop at Goblin Valley state park on the way from Fruita to Moab.

Moab for 4 nights, 3 days. Arches, Canyonlands and SxS tour day. Probably do a dinner cruise thing also. Not sure the schedule, not sure any specific hikes, etc... Havent researched it much so open to suggestions here.

Then we are heading home. Thats the schedule and basic plan...

Sound like your going to have a great vacation. The desert is amazing this time of year! Sunsets while looking at the canyons are one of my best memories with my Wife. ( that I can share here ha ha ha)

Enjoy it @rjacobs

Have a blast. Carry your weapons, there are a lot of crazies who hang out in those remote places.

At the risk of stirring up a shitpile, the National Parks are one of the best things America has done, even if they are mis managed. The Grand Canyon alone is worth a week

Have a blast. Carry your weapons, there are a lot of crazies who hang out in those remote places.

I bought a S&W 329PD used for a smoking deal. It will take care of anything with 2 legs, 4 legs or probably 4 wheels too. Also bringing an AK(I think). My only AR that isnt an SBR had the scope pilfered a while ago for a different gun and I never replaced it so ill bring the Arsenal SLR107 with 10 mags... I cant get my SPR in my carry bag because its to long with its 18" barrel and fixed stock.

Got some 255g Buffalo Bore for it. Supposedly loaded with the 329PD in mind.

What vehicle did you end up taking?

Well since I last posted we traded that Jeep Renegade for a 2018 Chevy Cruze Diesel so we are taking that. 50+ MPG on the highway. I can get out there on 2 tanks of diesel(although I will probably fill up a 3rd time because I dont want to be caught with my pants down in the middle of the desert out of diesel). Also bringing a 5 gallon can of diesel as a backup.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Diesel is everywhere out there but a backup can is never a bad idea. :geek:

I bought a S&W 329PD used for a smoking deal. It will take care of anything with 2 legs, 4 legs or probably 4 wheels too. Also bringing an AK(I think). My only AR that isnt an SBR had the scope pilfered a while ago for a different gun and I never replaced it so ill bring the Arsenal SLR107 with 10 mags... I cant get my SPR in my carry bag because its to long with its 18" barrel and fixed stock.

Got some 255g Buffalo Bore for it. Supposedly loaded with the 329PD in mind.

Well since I last posted we traded that Jeep Renegade for a 2018 Chevy Cruze Diesel so we are taking that. 50+ MPG on the highway. I can get out there on 2 tanks of diesel(although I will probably fill up a 3rd time because I dont want to be caught with my pants down in the middle of the desert out of diesel). Also bringing a 5 gallon can of diesel as a backup.

IMO get some expanding bullets for carry around people. This summer I had only brought hardcast for my 10mm(bears) and when we stayed at a few hotels I was thinking holy shit these things will probably penetrate a good deal of walls. So I unloaded it, brought it in with a couple other loaded 9s with jhps.

IMO get some expanding bullets for carry around people. This summer I had only brought hardcast for my 10mm(bears) and when we stayed at a few hotels I was thinking holy shit these things will probably penetrate a good deal of walls. So I unloaded it, brought it in with a couple other loaded 9s with jhps.

im also bringing my P30 9mm. Its my road trip gun. Im also bringing a speed loader or 3 of 300g Hornady XTP 44mag(although I really dont want to touch one off in this super light 329 LOL)...

Reactions: thejeep
Diesel is everywhere out there but a backup can is never a bad idea. :geek:

I used gasbuddy to scope out the route and were I had "planned" to make a fuel stop, there was no diesel listed, although I called one of the stations in Tuba City and they said they have diesel and its usually pretty fresh. Springdale has no diesel, but on the way up to Bryce there is diesel... But im not going to lose sleep over carrying 5 gallons. Ill throw it in the car when I get back if I dont use it, or ill just store it in the garage and cycle it every 6 months(it supposedly doesnt go bad like gas, but with the bio mix in it now, I have heard it can grow algae).

I did a couple trips out there. Actually spent almost 3 weeks just in Moab exploring the trails and campgrounds. There is SO much to see. Take a 4x4 for sure. Get some good books. I used this book as a basis. It shows the trails, primitive and developed camp sites.

Go to the Moab Visitor center and get some maps. If you are going to primitive camp, take some sort of a portable toilet, as you can't bury anything out there. The White Rim Trail alone is a several day drive... take plenty of fuel.

Canyonlands, Arches, Zion were all really nice, but it felt almost like a subsection of Moab. Definitely take a trip out to Thelma & Louise point. The trail is beautiful and there are some natural rock bridges to walk across.

IIRC, there is a back entrance in to Canyonlands through BLM land that you can go through which makes the entire trip a lot more fun.

Absolutely love that entire area and can't wait to get back out there!

I did a couple trips out there. Actually spent almost 3 weeks just in Moab exploring the trails and campgrounds. There is SO much to see. Take a 4x4 for sure. Get some good books. I used this book as a basis. It shows the trails, primitive and developed camp sites.

Go to the Moab Visitor center and get some maps. If you are going to primitive camp, take some sort of a portable toilet, as you can't bury anything out there. The White Rim Trail alone is a several day drive... take plenty of fuel.

Canyonlands, Arches, Zion were all really nice, but it felt almost like a subsection of Moab. Definitely take a trip out to Thelma & Louise point. The trail is beautiful and there are some natural rock bridges to walk across.

IIRC, there is a back entrance in to Canyonlands through BLM land that you can go through which makes the entire trip a lot more fun.

Absolutely love that entire area and can't wait to get back out there!

Good advice. That book is great, it's a must have if you are going to hit the trails.

I would do the lower Calf creek falls over Zebra. Having the waterfall at the end of your hike (Calf Creek) with a refreshing swim is the payoff that makes the difference. You can also camp at Calf Creek if you don't want to backtrack. However if you like hiking the slot canyons and weather permits Zebra, Peek-a-boo and spooky are all relatively close to each other and make for a great day.

Also there are a few cools slot canyons around Bryce. Willis creek comes to mind for a nice half day hike not as narrow as the three above but it has flowing water.

Hiked Navajo Knobs today in Capitol Reef... Holy crap is that an ass kicker of a hike, but the views were simply outstanding. Off to Moab tomorrow.

View from the Canyon Overlook

View from the Knob

Beautiful country. What always amazes me is in the middle of 50,000 acres of desert youll find a patch of green surrounding a small spring or well for irrigation. Reminds me of standing on top of the Great Pyramid of Giza in the Saharan Desert and seeing the green trail of the Nile River valley off to the west.

Heading out there at the end of the week. Doing Bryce Canyon, Zion and Capital Reef. We plan on some fishing while we're there too.

I used gasbuddy to scope out the route and were I had "planned" to make a fuel stop, there was no diesel listed, although I called one of the stations in Tuba City and they said they have diesel and its usually pretty fresh. Springdale has no diesel, but on the way up to Bryce there is diesel... But im not going to lose sleep over carrying 5 gallons. Ill throw it in the car when I get back if I dont use it, or ill just store it in the garage and cycle it every 6 months(it supposedly doesnt go bad like gas, but with the bio mix in it now, I have heard it can grow algae).

My diesel Passat can routinely go 700 miles on a tank, your Cruise is probably similar. There is diesel everywhere around here, many travel in diesel RV’s or diesel trucks pulling campers. I recently drove Flagstaff to St George, every fuel station had diesel. I wouldn’t want the possibility of a 5 gallon can spilling in the trunk of the car, the smell would never come out.

I’ll be making a trip up to Southern Utah all next week. My wife isn’t much of a hiker, but we’ll get out some anyway. Hitting Southern Colorado - Mesa Verde, Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Pagosa Springs areas later this week.

My diesel Passat can routinely go 700 miles on a tank, your Cruise is probably similar. There is diesel everywhere around here, many travel in diesel RV’s or diesel trucks pulling campers. I recently drove Flagstaff to St George, every fuel station had diesel. I wouldn’t want the possibility of a 5 gallon can spilling in the trunk of the car, the smell would never come out.

If I go past 500 miles in the Cruze im getting itchy. Its got a 13.5 gallon tank and I average 42. Now if I am averaging a bit more maybe can hit 600, but I plan on 500 mile(or less) stops. The 5 gallon can I got is the "no spill jill" brand and I havent smelled anything in the trunk this whole trip, but its all packed in the trunk pretty tight so no way it could tip or spill. I wouldnt run around with the trunk empty and a 5 gallon can in there, thats asking for trouble.

Mine is a 18.5 gallon tank averaging 40.7 mpg. My longest tank is 731 miles on 16.1 gallons. I usually fill it up at about 1/3 remaining, no need to push it to risk overheating the fuel pump or running out. It’s comforting to know where I usually fill it I can go another 200 miles. I wouldn’t routinely go over 400 miles in the Cruze. Glad you’re having a great trip.