• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sporter barrel vs. Varmint barrel

Bowhunter57

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2006
N.W. Ohio
I'm considering the purchase of either a 22-250 or a 243, for varmint (groundhogs & coyotes) hunting. I'm interested in Savage rifles and a couple of their options are a Sporter barrel that's 22" long or a heavy Varmint barrel that's 26" long. I'm after accuracy and speed with 55gr. and up to 85gr. bullets, out to 400 yards.

Which barrel would you choose and why?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

I prefer the heavy 26. Not that you can't get a good light barrel to shoot, your chances are better with the heavy. If you like the Savage checkout ER Shaw Barrels you may find what you like. Both calibers you list are killers.

I agree, heavy 26" for varmint. Stiffer means less POI shift with temperature, possibly less cold bore shift, and potentially better accuracy. If you decide to go with an aftermarket barrel, I'd stay away from ER Shaw and go to a Criterion, Pac-Nor, Shilen, Rock Creek, etc. Not that the ER Shaws are bad, but they aren't enough of a step forward from Savage factory barrels to warrant the expense, in my opinion.

A ground hog rifle and a coyote rifle are two very different sports!
1. Coyote hunting involves a lot of waking. There fore, the lighter accurate rifle works best as the occasional shot doesn't heat anything up. The shots are up close and personal. Should also take a shot gun!
2. The ground hog hunting you most likely set up once and the shots are long! It also could involve some volume shooting. Higher magnification scopes can come in handy.
But if the funds are limited now, the varmint set up is more appealing to me!

USMC#1 said:
A ground hog rifle and a coyote rifle are two very different sports! The shots are up close and personal. Should also take a shot gun!
Agreed. I usually carry a tight patterning shotgun as my front weapon and the rifle is sitting close by on a bi-pod, in case something thinks it's out of range.

USMC#1 said:
It also could involve some volume shooting. Higher magnification scopes can come in handy.
But if the funds are limited now, the varmint set up is more appealing to me!
I prefer a 4x16 scope power, as this seems to cover everything that I would shoot. The varmint barrel appeals to me too, but I'm going to check out the Predator Series that Savage produces too. They offer it in a "tactical" weight and in 24" length, which would be a good "happy medium" in a barrel.

Bowhunter57

Heavy varmint barrels suck for coyote hunting. Sporter barrels suck for groundhog or prairie dog hunting. AR15 for coyotes, heavy-barrel 700 for p'dogs and the like.

As it turns out, I went with 2 different rifles.
1. My daytime varmint rifle is a Savage Axis ll XP, in 22-250. I topped it off with a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 in a FFP version. This set up as proven to be a killer at long and short ranges for groundhogs and coyotes. My reloads of a 55 gr. Hornady V-Max bullet @ 3700 fps are producing sub-moa groups at 300 yards.
2. My nighttime rifle is a Savage Predator, in 243. I topped it off with a Sightmark Wraith and upgraded to a Sniper Hog 66 LRX IR light. I haven't had the time to get out to hunt with this rifle, yet. My reloads of a 75 gr. Hornady V-Max bullet @ 3400 fps are producing sub-moa groups at 200 yards. I have every confidence in this rifle's ability, as I've had similar Savage rifles in the same caliber and reloads that has killed coyotes out to 190 yards.

Attachments

• Axis 3.jpg
    Axis 3.jpg
    565.7 KB · Views: 53
  • P2A1.jpg
    P2A1.jpg
    478.6 KB · Views: 118
Reactions: Slides
I couldn't figure out why in the hell a thread from 2013 was bumped to the top on such a topic that is now everywhere.

Kind of cool to see an OP return years later with a follow-up. lol

Reactions: Bowhunter57
I've had the rifles for a few years, but haven't been on this forum with a recent update to this post and my decisions. :rolleyes: I received an email from Admin, about some website updates and I thought I'd do a walk thru and see what was "new". LOL It's good to be back. :cool:

Recent years of deer hunting with a rifle has eaten up more of my time, than I ever thought it would, after years of bowhunting....and I'm loving it. I shot this one on the second day of our Deer Gun Season with my Ruger American in 450 Bushmaster, topped with a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-12x40. My reloads of 250 gr. Hornady FTX @ 2550 fps that produces a 5 shot 1 hole group at 100 yards.

Bowhunter57

Attachments

• Buck 2.jpg
    Buck 2.jpg
    661.7 KB · Views: 33