• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Spotting Scope for Match Score Keeping need some help. Leupold / Vortex / Other ?

MrM4

FFL 07/02
Minuteman
I am getting ready to purchase a new spotting scope that will be used at our Long Range Matches to spot hits out to 1300 yards on AR500 steel. Most of the targets are on chains so calling the actual hit is not overly difficult however it would be nice to clearly read the splash on target and see holes in paper for the 1st 300 or so yards. 2nd I have been strongly considering a Milling Reticle in the scope.

So far the options I have found are the 20-60x80 Leupold with a TMR, which would go nicely with my MK4 ER/T Scopes with the same Reticle that I’m used to using. The other option was a Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85 Angled Model with a Mrad Eye piece. ( I really like the angled option when sitting in a lawn chair calling shoots.)

Thoughts on either scope, which is better , other scopes to consider? I had hoped to stay under $1800 in the glass.

Are you a veteran? If so, Leupold has a mil discount program that makes this an easier question to answer.
I have a mk4 with reticle and I love it. I've also looked thought the Razors and love them too!
It's a difficult decision but the outcome will be the same....you'll be able to do what you want with both and both companies have outstanding warranties to back their products.

IMHO I like the straight versions better for sitting on a lawn chair or standing while spotting shots, I have a straight Razor with an older 30x MRAD eyepiece(full and half Mil hashes only) I carry the 20-60 eyepiece with me but hardly ever use it, I spent a lot of time using other people's spotters(Ziess Spotter 60, Luepold MK4, Swaro, Pentax, Nikon) before getting the Razor, it does everything I need it to do and does it very well. I know everybody loves the pistol grip tripod heads but in this game some times we have multiple targets, so I recommend a fluid head, moving from target to target is seamless, so don't go cheap on the tripod.

The vortex is a good spotter. For your purposes, its bulk as compared to the MK4 is probably of no consequence, but do keep in mind it is significantly larger and heavier.

Optically, I think the two (the Vortex and MK4) are about a wash, but if forced to choose one over the other in terms of clarity, I'd go with the MK4.

I really, really like the Horus H32 in my MK4. It makes milling targets really quite easy.

Another option for you is to buy a Leupold Goldring HD spotter (no reticle, obviously), and send it off to Loopy for a reticle, which runs ~$350. The Goldring HD's glass is definitely a little better than the non HD/MK4 models, which will certainly put it above the Vortex. If you look around for a deal on the Goldring HD, you could have an HD TMR Loopy spotter for less than you'd spend on the MK4.

I'll mention though, the clarity advantage will really only be apparent above ~30x, which you're not likely to use all that often anyway.

I have a MK4 Leupold W/ the Mil-Dot reticle and I really like it. I actually just purchased a Manfrotto 055MF3 carbon-fiber tri-pod and a pistol grip ball head for it. I can't wait

I have the Vortex Nomad. It uses a lightweight shell to address weight issues. I only us mine out to 250yd, but it is sharp and clear. The angled version s OK for tripod usage, but I'd get the straight eyepiece model for use off the bench.

Really hard to beat the Leupold MKIV with TMR reticle for the purposes the OP describes. Compact, well built and the quality of the glass is excellent for a scope in its price range.

Sorry, couldn't find it on Loopy's site....is the Mk4 spotter front focal?

Yes. It wouldn't be even half as good as it is if it weren't.
[MENTION=79378]greg[/MENTION] Langelius

Perhaps it was just the one particular unit I got to try, but I was very unimpressed with the Vortex Nomad. Its form factor was good, but it was cloudy and dark as compared to a Razor or mk4. Not surprising though, its WAY WAY less money.

OK, I like mine just fine.

I'll gladly concede that at max mag 60X, under heavier mirage conditions, image quality is not stellar. But I also find that by backing off the mags a reasonable (small) amount, I have no trouble seeing .223 bullet holes at 250yd.

Honestly, I haven't had opportunity to review more expensive scopes, this one is major step up for me. IMHO, it's a major positive revelation, and a great Christmas gift from my Sweetie. We're married 43 years this week.

For someone 'steppin up' from economy mode, it's a really good buy.

Greg

Last edited:
You might want to look at the 82 mm Meopta Meo Star. While it doesn't have a retcle option, its glass is amazing -- up there with Kowa, it's very reasonably priced. About 2k will get you the scope and a 30-60 wide angle eyepiece or x 20-75 eyepiece. The 30-60 gives me everything I need and the FOV is the best on the market. Google its reviews, it's an amazing scope from Chekoslovakia.
Skipl

I have the Nikon Fieldscope 25-75X82 with ED glass. When I purchased a few years ago it was only $1000, now they go for about $1500. At your price point there is not a scope that you can choose and be wrong. All of them will do the job well at this price point, it is just a matter of preference or what might be immediately available for you. Read the article.

How To Choose A Spotting Scope for For Target Shooting