• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotting scope with reticle advice

Judge

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2008
Hey all,

Looking to get a spotting scope with reticle for PRS and was looking for input on which models would be best
as well as magnification range. Looking to shoot no farther than 800 yards at this time.

Same sort of question I have but might as well stretch it out to atleast 1500 yards!

I’ve been surprised that this isn’t a larger market sought after by these companies.
IMO trying to spot LR without a reticle is simply wasting rounds.

Reactions: rothgyr
I use a Vortex Razor HD 27-60x85 (RS-85A) with a Vortex Razor HD 85mm 22x MOA Reticle Eyepiece (RS-85REA)

I haven’t used it beyond 300 yards yet though.

Reactions: TRG65
Hey all,

Looking to get a spotting scope with reticle for PRS and was looking for input on which models would be best
as well as magnification range. Looking to shoot no farther than 800 yards at this time.

im a fan of Leupold products. They work for me.

If you're using it for PRS/NRL style matches, binos really are the way to go. Better depth perception (assists with spotting and reading wind) and field of view are major benefits as either a shooter looking at conditions or as an RO.

Reactions: ACard
SWFA makes a small 12X bino with reticle, I like them, but they are not alpha glass - nor are they priced like alpha glass.
On the Vortex, I agree, I have the same setup, the 30X wide FOV with mil reticle. It is hella brighter than the zooms too, for those that might use it in low light.

I really do not know why Swarovski does not make a reticule eyepiece for their spotters. Not the heavy bulky one but a simple etched reticule. Even if only regulated at one power.

Reactions: E-Tool
I really do not know why Swarovski does not make a reticule eyepiece for their spotters. Not the heavy bulky one but a simple etched reticule. Even if only regulated at one power.

I think thats the biggest thing. without it being built in like on my bushy, the etched reticle is only good for one single mag setting

I’ve said it here before. I wish someone would do a alpha glass, binocular spotting scope with 15-60+mag and a Xmas tree reticle.
I’ve been told by a few industry folks that the market for such a beast is simply too small and the price tag would be too high. I’d pay it... lol

I’ve said it here before. I wish someone would do a alpha glass, binocular spotting scope with 15-60+mag and a Xmas tree reticle.
I’ve been told by a few industry folks that the market for such a beast is simply too small and the price tag would be too high. I’d pay it... lol
Why do you want a tree reticle in a spotting scope? You wouldn’t be holding off as you would with a rifle. It’s just for observation.

I use a bushnell lmss with h32. Worth having a look. I think there's one in the PX at the moment.

For the same reason scopes have Xmas tree reticles. To more accurately make calls for follow up shots.
That isn’t why scopes have them. Rifle scopes that are used in settings where you don’t have time to dial will require you to hold for elevation. If you are holding the center off the point of aim, then you don’t have any reference mark to also hold for wind. That’s why tree reticles were created. (If it were to spot missed shots, the tree would also go above the center—people don’t only miss low!)

However, you don’t shoot bullets through a spotting scope. If measuring with a reticle is important, you can just keep the center of the reticle on the point of aim. Having a tree would just obscure the image without any additional benefit.

Reactions: Noshootgood
Has anyone purchased or looked through the Athlon Cronus Tactical 7-42 spotter?

It checks nearly all of my boxes. FFP, MRAD reticle, in the lower half. Straight spotter design. Capable of being used as a low power monocular. Decent glass. I wish it had better depth of field.

For the same reason scopes have Xmas tree reticles. To more accurately make calls for follow up shots.

Thats not the reason for a tree. You shouldn’t be missing far enough from your main crosshair to need the tree for follow up shots. This is why some reticles are beginning to start the tree further down from the main crosshair.

A tree is for holding instead of dialing.

Reactions: Steel head
Has anyone purchased or looked through the Athlon Cronus Tactical 7-42 spotter?

It checks nearly all of my boxes. FFP, MRAD reticle, in the lower half. Straight spotter design. Capable of being used as a low power monocular. Decent glass. I wish it had better depth of field.

Here's a review/comparison I did of it vs some comparable spotters: https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...tters-with-reticle-review-comparison.6971166/

Get a Leupy Mk4, that's my suggestion.

Reactions: C_Mack and Changed
Thats not the reason for a tree. You shouldn’t be missing far enough from your main crosshair to need the tree for follow up shots. This is why some reticles are beginning to start the tree further down from the main crosshair.

A tree is for holding instead of dialing.
I’m talking LR and ELR distances. I think we saying the same thing though. I’m saying rather than guess where 1.5 mils of elevation and 2.5 mils of left windage is, the tree in a scope allows you know much more precisely where that aiming point is.
In a spotter you would be able to do the same while spotting misses. More accurately call shots

I’m talking LR and ELR distances. I think we saying the same thing though. I’m saying rather than guess where 1.5 mils of elevation and 2.5 mils of left windage is, the tree in a scope allows you know much more precisely where that aiming point is.
In a spotter you would be able to do the same while spotting misses. More accurately call shots

Again, that’s not what a tree is for.

To need a tree to spot a miss, you’d have to be missing by a very large amount.

Reactions: Boxerglocker
Again, that’s not what a tree is for.

To need a tree to spot a miss, you’d have to be missing by a very large amount.
Well like I said LR and ELR distances. With some wind it ain’t hard. We were shooting at 1820 and the ability to see misses at 3 mils was necessary

Well like I said LR and ELR distances. With some wind it ain’t hard. We were shooting at 1820 and the ability to see misses at 3 mils was necessary

You’re missing by 16 feet vertical at 1800 yds??

Horizontal wouldn’t need the tree.

Lol. No, 3 mils of wind as well as a mil or so of elevation. At that distance there isn’t much more important than making good calls to walk rounds in. We’ve been using a basic mil reticle spotter and it can be a PIA to make accurate calls.
I’d love a spotter to have a matching Grid reticle to my scopes. Is it necessary, no, would it be nice to have, sure why not. My original point was an ideal spotter.
We’ve been using a basic mil reticle spotter and it can be a PIA to make accurate calls.

Last edited:
I’m perfectly happy with the reticle in my bushy legend T even at almost Two miles.
A tree in a spotter is silly.

im a fan of Leupold products. They work for me.
Second that motion. For reference, I took the PRS7 course at Gunsite. They use the Mark 4 for PRS & ELR courses. Great piece of gear!

I have the Swavorski STR-80. The reticle is fantastic and the glass is amazing. The only drawback is that it is not cheap.

Is it not a large “knot” type affair? Looks bulky and heavy. Also I think it’s electronic. All negatives for me. I just want a reticule

Hey all,

I bought the newest Viper HD and bought the mrad eyepiece.
Here's a short video if interested?...
Take care

Some revival here, I’ve got a Gold Ring HD with the impact moa reticle. The scope is badass. I would just send it back to leupold and have them change the reticle for me, as I want mils, but the custom shop is closed. Anyone been able to compare the cronus to a gold ring hd? Is it unacceptable after having such an awesome spotter?

To be honest this one has worked well for me out to 1000yds (probably would be further but that’s what I have available to me).

Bushnell 781545ED Legend T-Series Flp Spotting Scope with Mil-Hash Reticle, 15-45 x 60mm, Tan https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01BNSH...abc_2DEB2WG2DSMYCR4QX6CK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I’m a bit too much of a glass snob unfortunately. Lol. If bushy would put the ED Prime Glass in it I would grab one in a heart beat. That’s what worries me about the lmss or athlon is the glass not being good enough.

I use the Steiner m1050r with the SUMR reticle and some 15x56 binos for spotting. FOV on the Steiners is a little narrow and it doesn't work with glasses. If I could do it again I'd get the tactical 10x42r model and sacrifice some glass quality to get the better FOV, eye relief, and center focus wheel.

Spotting at 1k yds is no issue with my m1050r binos, at least in Utah anyways. Lots of dust.

Some revival here, I’ve got a Gold Ring HD with the impact moa reticle. The scope is badass. I would just send it back to leupold and have them change the reticle for me, as I want mils, but the custom shop is closed. Anyone been able to compare the cronus to a gold ring hd? Is it unacceptable after having such an awesome spotter?
If you can convert a gold ring to mil I would be all over that. I just bought the lmss2 and love the h32 reticle but something about the Mk4 just works better. I believe the gold ring has even better glass.

The glass on the lmss2 was better than the Cronus. But the Mk4 still feels more comfortable on the eyes.

The str80 is a league above but 3x the cost and weight.

If you can convert a gold ring to mil I would be all over that. I just bought the lmss2 and love the h32 reticle but something about the Mk4 just works better. I believe the gold ring has even better glass.

The glass on the lmss2 was better than the Cronus. But the Mk4 still feels more comfortable on the eyes.

The str80 is a league above but 3x the cost and weight.
Yea I don’t really have a need for the str80. Lol. This is prs comp stuff. The gold ring HD has fantastic glass. Better than I think it’s given credit for. That’s why I would be worried to sell and swap. Then be pissed. Haha.
I have a pair of the BX tactical leupold binos with the reticle. Those are badass too but the utility of a spotter is just so handy.

I'm very happy with my Leupold Mk 4 with mil reticle. Compact, clear, and works for my purposes. I have the 12-40 x 60 as I just thought the 20-60 x 80 was too big for my uses.....though may be perfect for others.

I'm very happy with my Leupold Mk 4 with mil reticle. Compact, clear, and works for my purposes. I have the 12-40 x 60 as I just thought the 20-60 x 80 was too big for my uses.....though may be perfect for others.
I agree. I have the 12-40 Gold Ring HD and it’s awesome!! Just in MOA.

Reactions: Baron23
I’m a bit too much of a glass snob unfortunately. Lol. If bushy would put the ED Prime Glass in it I would grab one in a heart beat. That’s what worries me about the lmss or athlon is the glass not being good enough.

The Legend T and LMSS2 both use ED Prime glass.

Ive got the busnell tactical spotting scope with mil reticle, and it actually works pretty good for a "budget" spotting scope. I will say getting the objective setup for a clear pictures isnt fast by any means. Once it is set though, it works well for what i paid. ($450ish)