• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spray Painting Rifles

Just finished this up the other day. Standard technique, alcohol prep, sponge the color, double layer of matte clear coat.
589B0FDC-3FCE-4AA2-8327-879A76F3D7EB.jpeg

Would you mind sharing your technique???
I used the same sponge method as the OP and basically did stripe sections of army green and khaki Krylon, then came back and did a second layer of green on the khaki and khaki on green. Made sure not do do too much so the black showed though giving a kind of worn look.

Reactions: stello1001
1575396995906.png

Mix match.
On top is a KRG Whiskey-3 for Remington 700 Long action.
Under it is a KRG Bravo with the enclosed forend for Remington 700 short action.

Reactions: stello1001
I did not use any clear coat. The paint seems to hold up fine enough without it.

Did a practice stock before I did any of my nicer ones. This is just a Remington adl stock.
View attachment 7002339

Is that a Hogue "OverMolded" stock? With sort of a soft rubber feel to it? If so, how is the paint holding up on it? Until I get enough coins together to buy a decent chassis I'm stuck with the "stock" stock on my 700 but would like to paint it. Just wondering if it pays to paint over that Hogue stock. Thanks in advance!

Is that a Hogue "OverMolded" stock? With sort of a soft rubber feel to it? If so, how is the paint holding up on it? Until I get enough coins together to buy a decent chassis I'm stuck with the "stock" stock on my 700 but would like to paint it. Just wondering if it pays to paint over that Hogue stock. Thanks in advance!

The post says is a standard Remington adl stock. So not the hogue. I would imagine the hogue overmold stocks wouldn’t take paint very well. Similar to how rubber butt pads don’t take paint well.

The post says is a standard Remington adl stock. So not the hogue. I would imagine the hogue overmold stocks wouldn’t take paint very well. Similar to how rubber butt pads don’t take paint well.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. That's why I wanted to verify. I guess I'll just have to stick with the gray stock until I can spring for a chassis. Oh well, more time to shoot!!

Reactions: SonoranPrecision
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. That's why I wanted to verify. I guess I'll just have to stick with the gray stock until I can spring for a chassis. Oh well, more time to shoot!!
If you go to an autopaint store, you can get additive that makes paint remain flexible...to a point. Duracoat (Lauer Weaponry) sells such an additive for their stuff that is much like the old skool Imron paints.

Reactions: pilotjoe
One note to all of you guys using Duracoat...I goofed once. I'm not sure if I didn't add the hardener but i painted the matte silver color of my POS Kimber Mountain Ascent and the paint never really hardened. Usually, after about 20-45 minutes, the finish is tough enough to remove the masking, etc. That time, the stuff never really got hard enough to handle without leaving fingerprints or touch marks. After baking it in the sun on a plus 100 degree day for several hours, I decided to strip it and do it again. I still don't know what I did wrong but be sure you follow the mixing directions to the letter. The second job came out as all of the others and have had no problems. I'm positive it was an eff up on me.

Some good looking rifles in here.

Not sure if anyone has heard of, or used Permalac before but it's a high performance clear coat. It's expensive but I have had really good results with it.

Some good looking rifles in here.

Not sure if anyone has heard of, or used Permalac before but it's a high performance clear coat. It's expensive but I have had really good results with it.

Never even heard of it, but I’ll have to give it a shot when my current clear starts to wear off.

Wow, All these rifles look so good. I have a cheap TC Compass rifle that I might have to try this on.

A few more because I took the rifle out for some natural light.

20200207_163205.jpg
20200207_163349.jpg
20200207_163500.jpg
20200207_163511.jpg

That nutmeg color paint gave me a lot of trouble. It would literally take forever to dry off and it even ran down as soon as it made contact with the rifle. Some of it even came off when I pulled the stencils. I guess it wasn't completely dry even though I waited a long ass time...

some of you have some potentially great graphite skills with spray paint you make it look interesting to say the least . I would be more the solid black paint streaking non artistic type . I will admit I spray painted with my fathers 77 dodge pick up used 37 cans of flat black and 7 cans of a bright high gloss blue at school took a while to do it but it was fun but I learned I am no picasso .

some of you have some potentially great graphite skills with spray paint you make it look interesting to say the least . I would be more the solid black paint streaking non artistic type . I will admit I spray painted with my fathers 77 dodge pick up used 37 cans of flat black and 7 cans of a bright high gloss blue at school took a while to do it but it was fun but I learned I am no picasso .

I really enjoy doing it so even if it's a lot of work to mask and stencil, I carry on through the process like it isn't anything major.

I think my rifle came out pretty good regardless of the shitty nutmeg paint. It definitely looks much better now.

Anyone have Any suggestions what color I should do the rings for my rifle above? Really don't want to keep them black. I was thinking OD green...

so how does the paint hold up on the metal? Does it scratch easily?

So it's actually pretty good. My howa rifle has some scratches on the barrel but all are at the muzzle and just before the muzzle. I gotta admit though, I did not have a case for that rifle and the 2018-2019 hunting season was really really harsh on it. It always went in the buggy tip down into the feet of the passenger or just riding in the backseat lol. I also dropped my rifle from a pretty tall deer stand. The rifle has a few scratches on the chassis but those are all on the under part of the handguard or right in front of the magwell. That is because I use the magwell as a barricade stop and one of the deer blind I used extensively had a metal window frame. All in all though, those scratches are barely visible and the paint has held pretty good for about a year and a half now.

Reactions: TACC and adluginb
I’ve always been scared I’m going to mess up lol, I should just practice on a cheap stock.

Reactions: TACC