• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Squirrels and a FLIR

HarperJT

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2011
This is probably the dumbest question ever asked on this forum, but I was wondering if a FLIR would be helpful in squirrel hunting. I know you have to be careful pointing it at the sun, but I was wondering if a squirrel in the nest would general enough heat that a FLIR would be helpful.

Thanks, Jeff

funny you ask... have sighted my T-70 in on a savage 93 suppressed and had excelent luck. also shot one in the face at 175 yards with it in front of a NF5-22x56 on a 308.

tupavyqy.jpg

Absolutely. They light up real good - especially on a FLIR T-70...

Grown men spending 25k on a rig to headshoot squirrels in Alabama LOL. Nice shot Jake.

Thanks for the information. I've been thinking about getting a PS32 (can't afford a weapons mounted) to compliment my PVS-14. Trying to figure out how vestal it would be.

Thanks again,
JEff

Thanks for the information. I've been thinking about getting a PS32 (can't afford a weapons mounted) to compliment my PVS-14. Trying to figure out how vestal it would be.

Thanks again,
JEff
I carry a ps32 on a lanyard when out hunting with my pvs14. I'm lookin threw it more than I am my pvs14. When I get a heat signature I'll look threw the 14 to identify. It a great accessory to have.

Exactly how I use my PS32 as well. You can easily miss stuff out in a big field with a tree background with the pvs14 but the PS32 will NOT miss it. Spot with the IR then use the NV.

Hey Camille, how are you, look forward to trying out the new luna as soon as I can save up some scratch.

When you say in the nest, if the squirrel is completely obscured by leaves and sticks you're not going to see it. You will see some heat signature if the squirrel is even somewhat visible through the nest.

This is probably the dumbest question ever asked on this forum, but I was wondering if a FLIR would be helpful in squirrel hunting. I know you have to be careful pointing it at the sun, but I was wondering if a squirrel in the nest would general enough heat that a FLIR would be helpful.

Thanks, Jeff

My buddy RobertB on here sent it to me. I know the temp was pretty low but don't know what it was. He said he only saw one squirrel and wanted to see what it looked like thru the m24! Then bam there were more squirrels and a coon on the ground he couldn't see! Lol

I wonder if it's possible that squirrels in the upper midwest build thicker nests for greater warmth thus unseen to thermal. I've tried it here with a 640 core unit and it's a no go.

My buddy RobertB on here sent it to me. I know the temp was pretty low but don't know what it was. He said he only saw one squirrel and wanted to see what it looked like thru the m24! Then bam there were more squirrels and a coon on the ground he couldn't see! Lol

I have a dozen Blue Bird and owl boxes mounted on the trunks of trees in the backyard and I can always tell which ones are active or dormant by looking at them with the thermal. Squirrels and coons do not stand a chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I'm not mistaken he took the picture in either Ohio or New York. I'm sure he will chime in in a bit.