• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SS Media Separation, DIY?

sentry1

Crayon Eater
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2012
Madison, Alabama
I'm looking for ideas for a DIY SS media separator. It doesn't have to be huge, since I only do 30-50 rounds at a time in a small tumbler with 2 lbs of SS media.

I've been using a fine mesh oil splatter shield for frying pants so far, but it's flat and does a meh job.

Step #1: Seperate brass from media
Step #2: Seperate media from water

Thoughts?

Re: SS Media Separation, DIY?

I made one from a steel 1 gallon paint bucket and a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket.

I windowed the paint bucket, epoxied in some mesh, epoxied in some strips of angle aluminum, then screwed some 1" shaft collars on the ends of the paint bucket, then ran a 1" tube through them. I cut a 1.125" hole in one side of the 5 gallon bucket, and a slot on the other so I could insert my contraption.

Cost: $15
Effectiveness: Crap

For the $35 that an actual, purpose built separator costs, it's a no brainer.

If you come up with a good solution, update the thread.

Separators seem to be just for separating brass from media. I guess I'll have to jigger up a home made thingy for rinsing and retrieving the media itself.

I took a 5 gal bucket and drilled 2 inch holes in sides near bottom, hung a 5 gal paint strainer and topped off with frankfort arsenal seperator (fits 5 gal bucket perfectly). Take water hose and rinse cases, media will fall from seperator into paint strainer for recovery. Rinse in alcohol bath for fast drying.

I use y wife's stainless steel fine-mesh strainer. It is about 8 or 10 inches across and has a handle on one side and a hook-like thingy on the other side; fits over a small bucket or pan. Works good for getting the dirty water out. Have to separate brass from media by hand (in water).

Search Frankford Arsenal media seperator. I'ts a basket that sits on top of a 5 gal bucket. It's not a diy but works great.

cost me $4 dollars at walmart and works great (about $2 for the plastic strainer, and about $2 for the plastic popcorn bowl)...... drilled some extra holes in the plastic strainer (greatly increased time of straining process) that were a tad bit smaller than 9mm brass / .223 brass (VERY IMPORTANT that holes drilled are smaller than diameter of 9mm brass) and burned off plastic burs with a lighter. Can easily do 200 @ .308 brass in one shot. Well over that in pistol and .223 brass. Run HOT water during cleaning, and COLD water during media separation. Can run slow water as in the picture while you stir it up with your hand and all SS media falls into the plastic red popcorn bowl even with the water running. Works awesome for $4 bucks. Hit it up with an air compressor as in the pictures and you have dry RIFLE brass in no time flat.

IMG_5846.jpg

IMG_5845.jpg

BRASSPREP2.jpg

BRASSPREP3.jpg

IMG_5836.jpg

IMG_5837.jpg

CLEANBRASS.jpg