• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Stainless Barrel coating.

xxsjj2007xx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2009
Walworth, Wisconsin
This might be in the wrong section but how can you effectivly coat a stainless barrel. I.E. prep work and best product. I would like to do this myself but am a little weary of it. Thanks guys.

Re: Stainless Barrel coating.

Plug both ends with corks or something similar, blast it with an abrasive media (not glass beads), degrease, degrease again, preheat (if necessary), spray & bake (if necessary).

I prefer ceracote over duracote. Just my .02

Are you going to bake or air dry?

+1 on the alum oxide blast (not glass bead), then heat to about 200 degrees, degrease with brake cleaner, heat again and degrease again with brake cleaner. Make darn sure you get all of the oil out of the scope base holes as well as where the recoil lug/receiver/barrel meet.

i use duracoat and blast everything with sand.. if you let duracoat cure properly it is tough stuff! i do all of my own personal rifles with it

I prefer to degrease before and after I blast with aluminum oxide. If I don't I'm introducing oil into the aluminum oxide which will contaminate anything I blast after that. You just can't degrease enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneeyedmac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer to degrease before and after I blast with aluminum oxide. If I don't I'm introducing oil into the aluminum oxide which will contaminate anything I blast after that. You just can't degrease enough. </div></div>

That's good practice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LARMIKE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer ceracote over duracote. Just my .02 </div></div>
+1, Cerakoat is more resistant then duracoat, i have used duracoat for more then 5 years but now, i use cerakoat, the C-series that is AIR CURE for complete rile, and H-series for part's that work hard , like triger, bolt body, safety mag. etc... the H-series is heated cure. The real advantage fo the C-series is that you don't have to MIX hardner.

Also, <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">NEVER EVER </span></span>use brake cleaner before paint, ask anybody, brake cleaner leave a thin film over the part and paint will end-up peeling OR scratching very easy. ACETONE is the way to go on ALL the part that have been blasted

Sendero

No oil in brake cleaner, at least the wal mart brand I use has none.
Oil is in Carbureator cleaner.
Two different animals.

Use not chlorinated brake cleaner. I use it all the time. No residue. or acetone as suggested earlier. I usually spray with the brake cleaner, then go strait to the blast cabinet. I then just blow of with air and cerakote.

I have used KG GunKote and am super happy with it.

Blast, clean with the KG cleaner, heat, spray, and bake.

Thanks for all the insight guys. One more question, I found the aluminum oxide media, what doe I use to blast it with? One of the Walmart Campbell Housefield Handheld blasters??? We have a blast cabinet at my shop but dont know the media being used. Thanks again for the help. I JUST REALLY HATE THE SS BARRELL THAT I HAVE ON MY AR.