• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

Re: Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

I have been using a LORTONE TUMBLER for years. Initially cause it was free and 2nd cause it came with 3 different barrels. Well since going to the SS media I had to buy a new motor, hell the old one was in excess of 30+ years so it was worth it. ALL the Lortone barrels have internal ribs (Flats) so you don't have to do any modifications. I guess I could take some of my Lexan and make a clear top but ... Why ?? I load up about 100 >200 brass , SS media is already in, add Dawn detergent and hot water, seal interior lid then cap with outer lid, spin down nut Place on brackets and come back in 4 hrs or so.

So, I'm not one to follow the pack. I'm sure the Thunbler is a good unit but I like my Lortone.

This is how I clean my brass. First I would like to say that this is NOT the best way but it works for me. I think that the ultrasonic works just as good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgy08C9ynkA

3-13-2010004.jpg

3-13-2010.jpg

3-13-2010008.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: negotiator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do between 12 and 15 at a time for 20 min. </div></div>

You have to raise and lower it during that time like you show on your youtube?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: negotiator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do between 12 and 15 at a time for 20 min. </div></div>

You have to raise and lower it during that time like you show on your youtube? </div></div>

NO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Will</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been using a LORTONE TUMBLER for years. Initially cause it was free and 2nd cause it came with 3 different barrels. Well since going to the SS media I had to buy a new motor, hell the old one was in excess of 30+ years so it was worth it. ALL the Lortone barrels have internal ribs (Flats) so you don't have to do any modifications. I guess I could take some of my Lexan and make a clear top but ... Why ?? I load up about 100 >200 brass , SS media is already in, add Dawn detergent and hot water, seal interior lid then cap with outer lid, spin down nut Place on brackets and come back in 4 hrs or so.

So, I'm not one to follow the pack. I'm sure the Thunbler is a good unit but I like my Lortone.

</div></div>

I'd like to buy the Lortone QT-12. After some more digging, I've now realised that the drum is internally faceted. Bloody excellent! I'll be giving one of these a go.

Cheers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terry,

On the grip tape. HAve you seen any erosion of the rollers?

How much are you processing at once? </div></div>

Aprrox 6 months of running! 150-200 (308's and 223's)

DSC00855.jpg

If you look at the close-ups on pg #8 of the thread it's just about the same! No great wear on the rollers.

Terry

Save everyone from looking at pg #8

rollers.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ran mine for the first time yesterday and I seemed to be chewing them up badly....??? </div></div>

Pichers?

Terry

There is something I should have mentioned a while back. If you are thinking of making a polycarbonate lid for your thumlers, use no less than 3/16" thick. If you use 1/8", it will warp when you tighten the wing nuts, and the water will spill all over the place. I know this because I tried using the 1/8", then went right to 1/4" and the problem was solved. Don't know if uncle Terry or anyone else has experienced this, but I figured I would save someone the hassle of remaking a lid.

Damn chiller, you grinded the shit out of those rollers!

Here is the tape I used. It was purchased at Home Depot!

DSC00728.jpg

There was a initial ruffing of the rollers then it seemed to stop! The pictures of my tumbler is six months worth of running at least 150-200 cases every 2-3 days.

What your seeing Chiller appears to be the same as mine! Wipe them off with a towel and keep going.

Also, I think it helps to keep the tape continuous around the drum. Try that and I bet it will help with what you seeing.

Terry

Chiller:

It appears that something other than the grip tape chewed up the roller in the 2nd picture from the bottom. Are your wing nuts hitting the rollers?

Terry

200 cases every 2-3 days Terry? Damn, you do a shit ton of shooting!

A question for you experienced SS media tumblers: have you found that tumbling in the media causes the case mouth to be slightly peened over. By slightly I mean about a thousandth enough to cause the case not to chamber on my match chambers. I started off by tumbling a bunch of 308 brass and shot it through a couple of non-custom guns and all worked good. I tumbled about 300 of my 6.5 x 55 AI (fired three times previous is same gun) and 200 6mm BR (fired two times previous is same gun)cases which which or both snug necked for my F-class gun. The cases would not chamber and it took a while to find the problem as the peening was so slight. Now the cases have all been neck turned and chamber fine.

Has anyone else seen this happen?

Does anyone want to buy a SS media tumbling setup with a custom made heavy duty tumbler two tumbling containers and 2 packages of media?

wade

wwbrown, I sent a pm regarding the purchase of your tumbler set up. thanks, jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think that part of the problem is you only need it on one side of the drum, the belt side. Also don't have any gaps between the grip tape. One solid strip is better. </div></div>

I alternated the strips so that it would be contact at all times with the drive axle. I can add some so that I have contact at "all" times all the way around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chiller:

It appears that something other than the grip tape chewed up the roller in the 2nd picture from the bottom. Are your wing nuts hitting the rollers?

Terry </div></div>

Terry,

I have the wing nuts on the non-drive side and the two rollers on the back axle keep the drum centered left to right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is the tape I used. It was purchased at Home Depot!

DSC00728.jpg

There was a initial ruffing of the rollers then it seemed to stop! The pictures of my tumbler is six months worth of running at least 150-200 cases every 2-3 days.

What your seeing Chiller appears to be the same as mine! Wipe them off with a towel and keep going.

Also, I think it helps to keep the tape continuous around the drum. Try that and I bet it will help with what you seeing.

Terry </div></div>

Using the same grip tape. Will work on getting more tape and not have any spacing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">200 cases every 2-3 days Terry? Damn, you do a shit ton of shooting! </div></div>

The key to accuracy!
grin.gif

Nothing more important than trigger time.

Plus it helps with my anger management!
mad.gif
laugh.gif

Terry

I've had my tumbler for a week now. I've done 5 batches of 100. All perfect. Just like the before and after photos posted previously. My brass never gets as bad as some of the before pictures above though.

To the poster who was commenting on peening.... I clean my brass before I do any resizing, trimming, or annealing. Never had any problem and I have a custom (very tight) barrel and chamber. To clean any residual Imperial wax, I use a rag and alcohol after I seat the bullet.

So maybe this has been covered but is there a reason that you guys aren't/shouldn't use a vibratory tumbler?

I don't really feel like buying another tumbler if I can just dump SS media into my vibratory tumbler and call it good

By the time you get enough of the Stainless media into the tumbler you will have exceeded its capacity!

The rotatory action with soap, warm water, and dish soap is the ticket to getting them clean as new. I have tried every method out there and the stainless media in a rotatory tumbler is the best I have found!

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lemi Shine! Wal-Mart Dish soap aisle top Shelf in everyone I have been In!
DSC00424.jpg
</div></div><span style="font-size: 14pt">
I've read every post in this thread as well as Terry's original thread at least three times and I'm totally blown away. Went to Cabela's today and ordered a Model B (hopefully it will be the one with the bigger motor). Went over to the Giant (local grocery store) looking for Lemi Shine but no luck. Then I did a Google search, found the company's home page and discovered that it is also stocked at Wegman's and Target.

You can also buy it online with free shipping on orders over $50. So all I have to do is order thirteen bottles at $4 per bottle of the stuff and it will be delivered right to my door. Not sure I have enough time left on this planet to go through a baker's dozen of Lemi Shine.

Here's a link for Lemi Shine online.

</span>

They have it at Wally World in the dishwasher isle, usually on the top shelf.

I got everything rounded up and have run two batches and have come to the conclusion that this should be put in the same file as the Atlas bipod and hi end scopes, they cost more to get into but after you buy them you realize that you cant be without them they realy are "that good".

I just have one question, people say to use moble one oil on the bearings does that mean the white nylon bearings on the axels or in the motor somewhere?

Thanks Tucker

Yes I put one drop into each of the white nylon bearings (Modil One 5w30 syn). Also a drop in the front an back of the motor.

I would post pictures but I am not a home to do so!

Maybe Hummer can post a picture of where to lube the motor or another hide member.

Keep it clean and that tumlber will last your life time! Hell you children will probaly be using it!

Terry

Also, welcome to the club!

Just some FYI for those still waiting on their stainless media but have their tumbler...I have been running 1x fired Lapua brass (308 and 6.5x284) thru the tumbler with just water, lemishine and Palmolive dishwashing soap and after 3-4 hrs they are coming out looking very close to new on the outside and the primer pockets...inside still dark. Once the media gets here, I suspect I am going to really like how clean they get.

John

Update on the rollers.

I added the pieces so it is now continuous. the erosion has all but vanished and you get the instant traction.

Also added the Lemishine and it has taken a good process and made it even better.

Lemi Shine is for sure a magical product when it comes to getting clean brass!

Used the warm water and Ivory for a long time! The first time I added Lemi Shime to the batch I had to do a double take.

Great stuff!

Glad to hear that the addition of the grip tape the whole way around the barrel helped!

I problay should have noted in my original post that is what I did!

If there are any guys out there thinking of doing so be sure that you have a continuous strip around the whole barrel.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If there are any guys out there thinking of doing so be sure that you have a continuous strip around the whole barrel.

Terry</div></div>

I've only run 5 batches, but see no need for the grip tape. The tumbler runs perfect right out of the box. I have the heavy duty (faster) tumbler.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leaddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Terry</div></div>

I've only run 5 batches, but see no need for the grip tape. The tumbler runs perfect right out of the box. I have the heavy duty (faster) tumbler. </div></div>

The problem happen when you run back to back batches and the drum is wet....it will slide and skip until it gets traction. This is where the grip tape shines...

I think the grip tape is a bit overkill. I just wipe the tumbler dry when I do back to back batches.

The grip tape is not a requirement. However, like Chiller said it helps when your drum gets wet after running multiple batches. It also helps when you have the occasional heavy load to keep it from spinning.

Got tired of drying it off then the rollers and having to stand there and make sure it was tumbling.

I picked up another drum that was in pterry bad shape. My buddy is bead blasting it and we are going to try coating the outside with Rhino liner. Drum was free so no loss if it flops!

Terry

Terry, I got a bone to pick with you and Mark.

I uniformed the pockets of about a 100 308s and threw em in the tumbler with the stainless/dawn/lemishine, and then threw in about 30 more cases I had only deprimed -these had some nasty pockets. Figured I'd just run the uniformer through those afterwords.

Well now I can't freakin tell them apart. The deprimed/non-uniformed brass is now pristine and looks like they are fresh from the uniformer.

So which one of you is gonna take responsibility for this?!?
laugh.gif

Works as advertised all right...

Whatever happen to taking responsibility for your own actions!
whistle.gif
LOL.

I blame Mark!! LOL!

Terry

Ok, been trying to get some of this great media for months, I email the secret guy and he is out, or what he has is "spoken for". Is this vapor ware?

On that note why all the secrecy? Isn't this forum a place to share info openly, not keep secrets? Where do you get the media so the rest of us can get it with out lining the pockets of secret guy? Seems to be counter to the spirit of this forum. Your basically plugging this guys business. Not to mention he charges really high shipping charges, 5 lbs would easly fit in a USPS flat rate box that ships for $4, but he charges $12.

I really want to get some of this media, I have the tumbler, tried it with no media, did not work very well during a 4 hour tumble, with Dawn and lemi shine. Just wish this were not so hard!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calbearz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, been trying to get some of this great media for months, I email the secret guy and he is out, or what he has is "spoken for". Is this vapor ware?

On that note why all the secrecy? Isn't this forum a place to share info openly, not keep secrets? Where do you get the media so the rest of us can get it with out lining the pockets of secret guy? Seems to be counter to the spirit of this forum. Your basically plugging this guys business. Not to mention he charges really high shipping charges, 5 lbs would easly fit in a USPS flat rate box that ships for $4, but he charges $12.

I really want to get some of this media, I have the tumbler, tried it with no media, did not work very well during a 4 hour tumble, with Dawn and lemi shine. Just wish this were not so hard! </div></div>

Not clear who you are or why your shorts are in a knot.

Everybody who has been involved with this thread has been decent and above board as it relates to the media.

There is no “secrecy” that you are referencing. There are two gentlemen who have gone above and beyond and helped with a new process that has benefitted us all. If you are that hard up for media I will look to see what I have in my stash.

All this being said the old allegory of attracting more bees with honey might be a take away lesson here.

Just a thought.

Cool, then I'm sure they will be happy to post where they get the media? How is it above board to keep your source secret? Nothing in a twist, I just can't get any. What else should I do when I email the guy 6 times and never get a response of "ok send me a money order and I'll send you some media"?

Here are copies of the last 2 emails

Thought it would be here today so I guess it will be in tomorrow????

In a message dated 5/27/2010 1:39:01 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Do you have any of that stainless media in yet?

Thanks

what I have coming is all spoke for. I get it in and it leaves next day. Been a while since I had any laying around.

In a message dated 6/7/2010 1:58:53 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

Hi did your shipment of stainless media come in yet? I would like to order some.

Thanks

What would you suggest that involves more honey? What does who I am have to do with anything? I just want to try this out, paying reasonable shipping would be nice too. Like you little sig animation.

Calbearz, What you do is download the App/form that our media supplier has in his emails. Fill it out &send money, You can decide if you want 10 20 or 30 pounds and mark the correct circle. Add a check and mail it off to the guy. That is about as simple as it gets.

Will, I would be happy to but no such App / form is included in any email I have received.

Sill no reply to my question about where they get the media?

Why don't the make a web site with the order form on it and post the address? You can make one for free.