• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

Re: Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Master_Blaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone concerned about the potential barrel damage if by some crazy chance a few smidgens of the media is left in the case at the time of loading? </div></div>

No, I inspect every case I load throughout the whole process!

I also weigh each case prior to putting it into the case. Any case that is not within the acceptable difference is pulled.

So, no there is no chance unless you are very careless of this happening. Also, if you are wondering if there is a SS pin in your case that you loaded then you probaly should look for another hobby.

Terry

Newbie with first batch goin' right now. $56 Thumbler's tumbler off flea bay, 5lbs media from DA MAN, lemishine and ivory. I am tumbling some of the new unfired lake city 5.56. Last batch took ELEVEN HOURS (!) in my vibratory w/walnut & polish. I'm gonna check this batch in a couple hours......

pileodirtybrass.jpg

lineodirtybrass.jpg

two (!) hours later...like friggin' new! can' wait to put some really grungy fired brass in next. I feel like some previous poster, lookin' around for dirty brass to process!

reloading007.jpg

Damn!!! Where are you guys finding your brass!

I bet in four hours they look like new.

Terry

I believe I hold the record for cleaning the skankiest brass:

23bbe06e.jpg

870e72df.jpg

Palmik:

Yeah, your listed as the most wacked out alright! LOL.

However, I just noticed you did slighty redeem your self by leaving NY! Congrats! I bet your wallet thanks you!

Hope you found a good job and are happy in OH.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a media separtor from Cabelas today, wow I wish I had bought one years ago!</div></div>

Media Seperator from Midsouth Shooters for $20

Good buy on one! It looks just like the Cabela's one excpet for it's Red.

Terry

I know I'm late to the party, but my media came today and I wanted to post my results. First, let me say that the media arrived just as promised and Mark is extremely nice to deal with. He kept me apprised throughout the order process and it was extremely fast and efficient. Thanks to Terry for posting this info.

I started off with about 200 pieces of 45 brass. I had one piece of old 458 SOCOM brass that was extremely corroded (see photos below). I mixed as indicated previously in the thread. I used Dawn, Lemishine, and 5 pounds of media and let it run for 4 hours. The results speak for themselves. I also provided a before and after of the 458 SOCOM brass so you can see for yourself what a great job it did.

A big thank you to Mark and Terry for this!

125752767.2siAwhZf.jpg

125752770.EJqPSbbJ.jpg

125752774.hFYzE3fZ.jpg

125752776.uHzPFYW1.jpg

125752780.k9SpVdSE.jpg

125752784.V1YjY2Gw.jpg

125752786.JSKpge5P.jpg

125752788.gs1Jek8C.jpg

125752794.4D4EKUPB.jpg

I found some anti-skid/slip tape at Ace Hardware. They had 3 different textures, different widths and it is continuous so you can buy a length that will completely wrap about the tumbler drum. I got the least aggressive texture and so far it is working quite well with no roller damage.

Does anyone use, or have you rigged, a larger rotary tumbler -- perhaps using one of the common big plastic buckets or pails?

Just wondering if there are any options for larger lots of brass without spending a ton of money on a (very expensive) dedicated industrial tumbler bigger than the Thumler's B.

I found these in google images:

tumbler2.jpg

100_1774.jpg

100_1773.jpg

I found this shot of stainless shot and short pins:

sil-shot-ss.jpg

Thanks.

The pictured media above appears to be jewelers media made by Kramer. Last I heard from them it was a 50 pound min order and $21.00 a pound. Check with them and see what they say now.

I've just completed my first 4 hour run with 80 pieces of 3x fired .308 brass. The brass came out spotless on the outside and about 60% clean on the inside & primer pockets. I think it's probably due to using dish soap only, I will try some lemi shine and see if there is an improvement.

Rath

Has anyone here actually used lemishine to do their dishes?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No that would be wasting it. </div></div>

Muhahahahaha! Oh how true!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No that would be wasting it. </div></div>

That is too funny, yet I cannot disagree

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe I hold the record for cleaning the skankiest brass:

23bbe06e.jpg

870e72df.jpg
</div></div>

That is some nasty stuff.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used a enviromental dryer today, the TEXAS sun, one of the wifes cookie sheets, a towel, and the sun, dry brass in 15 minutes.</div></div>

Hey 427, I use the same dryer you do. But, beware the cookie sheets! Go to page 7 of this topic and use <Ctrl-F> to search for post "1742337".

Does the jeweler's media work or is it too fine? I was thinking five pounds of short rods, and a pound of jeweler's media to make up for the inevitable small losses every time you sift the media from the brass.

Thanks.

Jewelers media is much much thicker. About 5 out of every 100 308 cases I tumbled required prying it out with dental probes and broke two in process. 30.06 it worked fine along with 35 Rem. Big necks or less tapered shoulders.
Putting it in 7/08 cases would probably require cutting case head off to get your media back.

If you are losing the small media you are not doing something right.

1. get a 8" collander with fine mesh. Got mine at Target Store. 8 bucks.
2. pour black water and cases in 12 qt. dishpan I got mine at Wally World. Reach in and get two cases at a time and shake them <span style="font-weight: bold">UNDER WATER</span> with case mouths down. NOTE if you remove them from black water before shaking some will adhere to cases from surface tension of water. NOTE: When last case clears drum I quit pouring and leave the remaining media in drum.
3. Dump these cases in another dish pan with 2 gal clean water and when finished agitate cases well for good rinse. I pick them up and drop them back in several times for good rinse.
4. Onces cases are out of black water <span style="font-style: italic">gently pour the black water through the fine mesh collander until you hear a couple pieces of media tinkle when it hits screen and QUIT POURING right then. DO NOT DUMP ALL MEDIA IN STRAINER.</span>5. Pour water from dish pan 2 about 1/2 gal at a time into dish pan 1 and repeat Step 4 above. This is to wash the carbon and soap from the media. It should be gleaming silver after four rinses.
6. By the time the second dish pan is drained of water you have your brass left. Look in lower corner of pan two and you may find a few pieces of media, if so dump them in with clean media along with the few pieces in the collander and go put them back in tumbler.

If you pay attention to detail you should never lose a piece.

Holy Moley!! I just ran my first batch with the SS media through the tumbler with Dawn and LemiShine. Five hours in the HD Thumler Model B. I opened the drum, reached in to the black, gunky stuff and pulled out a handful of glittering gold. I have never seen even new brass sparkle like that, inside, outside, primer pockets and all. And this was a bucket of nasty, green handgun brass that been sitting in the weather for, ...I dunno, ...two years??!?

As Chiller would say "Pichers please"?

Congrats!

Terry

Poll results as of 6/29/2010 5:00pm EST.

6-29-10polls.jpg

Wife picked up a bunch of this with coupons for a few cents.

Figured I would try it out on this range pick up! Used Ivory soap and a squirt of this! I'll check it a t 3hr's.

DSC00902.jpg

Terry

Looks like a thumbs down! Compared to Lemi Shine save your money! Maybe the wife can get clean dishes with it, but as for brass its a no go!

DSC00907.jpg

Terry/Suasponte,
Can you send me your source for the SS media?
Thanks,
Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rxs0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terry/Suasponte,
Can you send me your source for the SS media?
Thanks,
Rich </div></div>

Rich:

Check your PM's, info has been sent to you!

Terry

Suasponte

Do you have a picture of your drying box besides the one in
this thread. I was wondering if you put holes in the lid of the ammo
can?

Suasponte

Could you also give me the dimensions of the electric fan you are
using for your drying box. The one I have measures 3"x3" but the ammo can I will be
using measures 7 1/2" wide x about 16" long.

ok i bite i whant to try this stuff whear do i get the media

anybody??

There is one problem with this method though....you quickly run out of dirty brass to clean and will start recleaning brass you cleaned with some other method before you got the stainless media!! Dont ask me how I know this.....

Me thinks we need a AA equivalent for those of us addicted to cleaning brass! And, to make matters worse, my annealing machine just showed up today, so guess who is going to be annealing brass like a mad man tonight?!

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johndoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Suasponte

Do you have a picture of your drying box besides the one in
this thread. I was wondering if you put holes in the lid of the ammo
can? </div></div>

The lid has eight (8) 1/4" diameter holes in it. The fan is 5"x5". I also have four (4) 1/4" diameter holes drill in the base of the ammo can just around where the fan is located.

Terry

Can you post the fan speed rpm and Hz rating?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johndoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you post the fan speed rpm and Hz rating? </div></div>

DSC00909.jpg

Terry

Thanks Terry for the post on the fan specs. The ammo box I am going to
be using is about 16"x7"x7" for my dryer box. They have some of the fans
approximate to what you have at my local Radio Crap. They run
about $20.
I am undecided and looking for input on weather to make a down draft,
or up draft drying box. The handles are In the way on the box I am
using which would keep me from cutting some holes in the sides thus weakening
the lid closer, but the top and bottom look more than capable.

I'm I over thinking this? My thought was a little bigger box and
you can have more of the brass in direct contact with the heat.

I don't think it really matters about up draft or down draft.

As long as there is air flow to get the moisture moving out of the cases is what I was looking for. I am very happy with the results I get with my setup. About two hours in the box and they are dry.

I placed the fan within the box to keep the little boys fingers out of the blades. That was my only reasoning for placing the fan within the box on the bottom.

Terry

Terry,
I always considered reloading as a means to shoot more and clean brass as a way to protect your dies and to ease in finding the shiny brass after a shooting session.
I'm starting to get this strange ass feeling that I'm turning into some type of weird-o brass leprechaun. The ss media makes the brass look like gold. Hate the thought of losing it, and will no doubt go around the range asking, where's me brass.
One thought is that no one else will have any better looking.
Looking forward to cleaning up some 50bmg for the M107.
Thanks again Terry for the info on where to locate the ss media

I have an an old electric smoker that has a digital time / temp control. Set it down to 160, put in any amount of brass you want on one of the four racks, set it to a couple of hours, and walk away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crjeeper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Finally, a sweet source to get the media. Check them out. www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com </div></div>

I do not know who they are, nor am I (or Mark for that matter) associated with this site. I will only vouch for what Mark provides.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sneaky Gun Runne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an an old electric smoker that has a digital time / temp control. Set it down to 160, put in any amount of brass you want on one of the four racks, set it to a couple of hours, and walk away. </div></div>

What type wood are you smoking them with, Hickory or Mesquite??? Don't forget to soak the wood chips!

I have used a food dehydrator for the same thing (Drying brass that is)

Terry

The STM media works the exact same as Mark or Terry's stuff. Tried them both.

I don't see where the STM media is cheaper than Terry's source. I did business with the source and he was very thorough in keeping me abreast of shipping, etc. and all for less money than what the STM site shows. What am I missing other than you can pay more and use paypal?