• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

Re: Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

That is one hell of a lot of cutting! I think Mark firgured there to be approx 55,000 - 60,000 pins per 5lbs if I remeber correct. Also, the size is .04" x .25" lg.

Terry

Anything special to check for or issues to be concerned with if "someone" were to forgot they had a batch tumbling in the garage and let it run for almost a full day? Lol.

OK. info learned is knowledge gained. Sorta thinking I might start out with something small.

But what about the copper, would that be unsuitable?

No, Hopefully you had enough soap to keep the carbon In suspension. If not you will more than likely have gun metal colored brass. There may be a slight gold tinge to the black water also. Other than that there is no concerns. Should be all nice a clean.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK. info learned is knowledge gained. Sorta thinking I might start out with something small.

But what about the copper, would that be unsuitable? </div></div>

Copper, I am not sure of! Don't know what it would do. The stainless media is real nice due to it's magnetic characteristics. If you have a bunch of real small copper pins and dropped them it would be a real bitch to pick them up. With the SS media you just swipe with a magnet and your done.

Also, not sure how the copper would last. I know it would probaly turn green on you after some use.

Terry

OK; guess there's only one way to find out.

Greg, Back in the day I used uncoated brass brazing rod and it worked great, but it is alot of cutting and is tough on the hands. I ended up making special handles for my dikes. If you have the time it is definately doable.I like the stainless media but I feel the pins are too thin, the brazing rod was much easier to sift. The ends left on the cut pieces really speeds up the inside and primer pocket cleaning.

There is an excellent article in an old American Rifleman magazine that goes into detail, it is where I learned about cream of tarter as a polishing addditive. It works great and I have had no issues.

Sandbogg.

My Lemishine showed up today!!! Time for a head to head test.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anything special to check for or issues to be concerned with if "someone" were to forgot they had a batch tumbling in the garage and let it run for almost a full day? Lol. </div></div>

No, will just have really dirty water and really clean brass....usually. I have left mine running all day and thru the night and no harm, no foul.

Hi Terry, would you please pm me the contact info. Only got up to page 6 so far in this thread and I'm certainly convinced. Is he through the batch with the short pieces?

Now I'm thinking more in terms of big block pliers/cutters and heavy guage stranded wire.

Got my tumbler up and running this weekend - spoon full of LemiShine and spoon full of Ivory, scalding hot water, tumble for 15 to 30 minutes. Great results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anything special to check for or issues to be concerned with if "someone" were to forgot they had a batch tumbling in the garage and let it run for almost a full day? Lol. </div></div>

I am not sure what he has left. Contact him and he will let you know.

Contact info has been pm'd to you.

Terry

Received both my tumbler and media today, finally was able to track down some lemishine, took me four grocery stores and two targets before I finally found some, got my first batch of brass tumbling now. Suasponte's hookup is a solid individual who was very prompt and fast with his turnaround.

I copied a early post on a drying box, by drilling holes in a plastic ammo can and installing some gutter guard, a 75 watt light bulb and a fan, I used a usb powered computer case fan as it was the only thing I could find small enough to fit, plus it was nice and cheap.

update to come in 4 hours or so.

Just pulled the brass out, was able to sort it from the stainless media very easily, had a few pins escape into the shower but my magnet got them no problem.

The brass, BH .308 which has been used about 5 times so far, came out just about spotless, still a few specks of carbon in the primer pockets and in the insides but the difference between this method and the vibratory method with the Cabelas corn cob media is night and day, I'll never go back.

The only downside is the thumbler thumbler is a bit louder than my vibratory tumbler, but the results make the increased noise acceptable.

The only place I found lemishine is at wal mart for$4
(or 15 at amazon!)

New poll results as of 11/8/2010 @ 8:00pm EST

11-8-10poll.jpg

Terry

I ran the brass thru the tumbler a second time after resizing, ended up putting them thru another full 4 hours as I added some more brass that I found stashed away, the origional brass came out completely spotless, the rest is tumbling a second time as I speak after conducting case prep.

To combat the noise I created a makeshift sound box for the tumbler, I surrounded it with ammo cans, put a folding chair across the top and then covered everything with towels, sound deadening foam and pillows, its not perfect but has cut the noise by at least half. I plan on building a bit more purpose built, I'm thinking a plywood box lined with sound killing foam, complete with an sound isolating bottom.

DSCI0005-2.jpg

I have mine sitting on crate foam and it seems to cut down on the noise. However, I always start it and let it run when I am not in the man room.

Terry

New poll results as of 11/10/2010 at 5:30pm EST

11-10-10poll.jpg

Another SS media convert! BUT...

For those of us that go to the range with our reloading equipment and shooting stuff hauler (motor home or trailer) having both a Tumbler-SS for home and an ultrasonic unit for range work sounds like the best bet.

IMHO A larger source of water is required for the Tumbler-SS than an ultrasonic unit and with a little extra hand work tlc they get very similar results. Unless you are going to be contributing to the lead footprint of your range by the ton, have an unending water supply and want to reload 100's of rounds while at the range, an ultrasonic unit is just perfect for when you want to load up a small batch for testing or have a lazy vacation round count day.

Thanks for all the info!

Any local Hide members in the Pittsburgh area!! I was at the Wheeling, WV Cabela's today and there was a Thumlers Tumbler Model "B" in the Bargain Cave for $144. I looked at it and it appeared to be new.

Good buy for anyone that is in that area looking for a tumbler. I almost got it but three is enough.

Terry

Well I'm pleased with my set up and after a quick look around found a pretty quick and easy way to dry my brass... something like this may already be here, but I've looked at over half this post and hadn't seen anything like this... If there is excuse my lazieness... I have several of the MTM boxes with the handles and I just popped out the insides of one of the 100 round boxes and put them on my floor fan... doesn't take long to dry them for the most part and then I set them under a desk lamp on my reloading table to finish them off... fan is running in picture even tho it appears to be off....

IMG_6795-1.jpg

IMG_6794-1.jpg

suasponte, pm sent for information to buy SS media.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 260rem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> suasponte, pm sent for information to buy SS media. </div></div>

Pm sent!

Poll results as of 11/14/2010 @ 9:45am EST

11-14-10poll.jpg

WOW, I was thinking of going Ultasonic, but after reading all the posts about SS media cleaning, I am SOLD. Thanks guys!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fewenuff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another SS media convert! BUT...

For those of us that go to the range with our reloading equipment and shooting stuff hauler (motor home or trailer) having both a Tumbler-SS for home and an ultrasonic unit for range work sounds like the best bet.

IMHO A larger source of water is required for the Tumbler-SS than an ultrasonic unit and with a little extra hand work tlc they get very similar results. Unless you are going to be contributing to the lead footprint of your range by the ton, have an unending water supply and want to reload 100's of rounds while at the range, an ultrasonic unit is just perfect for when you want to load up a small batch for testing or have a lazy vacation round count day.

Thanks for all the info!
</div></div>

I load and shoot at the range all the time, I even take my Prometheus powder scale, OOOO steel wool and\or a Krazy Klothe are what I use, at home I use I decapp and use the SS method

Ditto on the #0000 Steel wool and Crazy Cloth!

Terry

Poll results as of 11/20/2010 @ 5:00pm EST

11-20-10poll.jpg

I'm sure glad I got in on this before it got to 22 pages!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rero360</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I copied a early post on a drying box, by drilling holes in a plastic ammo can and installing some gutter guard, a 75 watt light bulb and a fan, I used a usb powered computer case fan as it was the only thing I could find small enough to fit, plus it was nice and cheap.

update to come in 4 hours or so.
</div></div>

Why go to all that trouble drying your brass? After rinsing the cases, do a rinse with 91 or 99% alcohol. After toweling the brass, all is dry in 10 minutes. Nothing is better than this.

Greetings members of the stainless steel tumbling league.

I sent my Money Order to Mr. Anonymous and received 10 pounds of little SS pins. I am building a "Magnetic Tumbler". However, it is not finished. So, I decided to put the pins in my (not recommended to do) vibratory tumbler, and dry (also not recommended).

First run was too many 7.62X51 Lake City head-stamp. Even there, after an hour, the primer pockets were clean.

Next run was 100 .44 Mag hulls that had been sitting for at least 5 years. I deprimed and ran them about 8 hours. They came out looking at least as good as new.

Next run was another set of the 7.62X51. This time only 60 rounds but still 8 hours. Again, new looking brass was the result.

I will still build the magnetic tumbler. It should be faster than vibratory tumbling and I may be able to do it dry.

The advantages I see of dry tumbling is the pins do not seem to stick in the cases. One still needs to be sure and dump the pins from the cases. A large neodymium magnet in a plastic bottle is great for picking up stray pins.

I was informed to beware of breathing the dust from the dry tumbling. I have not found this to be a problem (yet). I may build a small dust filter and continually blow air over the tumbling media and and filter the air coming off.

I do have some pictures. I do not have a card reader for this computer.

Reporting from the laboratory of the ignorant,

Ron

Terry,

It is an older "Midway" brander generic tumbler. I have been using it for near 20 years. I'd guess liquid capacity about 2-1/2 gallons/10 liter or so.

10 pounds of the pins and 100 44 Mag or about 60 medium rifle cases it is still only about 1/3 or less filled. Too many cases and the cases don't 'circulate' in the media.

I may purchase some of the 'other' styles of Stainless Steel media and combine the small pins with other sizes of media. I think with enough $media$ one can vibratory tumble a full 'load' in the machine. Will a machine designed for walnut hulls or corn cob (density of .2 - .7) loaded with a media that has a slightly higher (said with much sarcasm - density of close to 7 with air-space) last is another unanswered question.

Of course, this is all in the interest of science and I doubt a piece of paper or other target realizes that it has been hit with a bullet expelled from a case that was highly polished and lovingly cared for, a grungy 'common' reload or factory ammo.

Ron

I think the rubbing alcohol rinse for quick drying but if you really want to speed it up buy a cheap food dehydrator and load the trays with you brass. Combine this with the alcohol rinse, towel dry brass, then put it in the dehydrator.

Just out of curiousity- to those using this method - of cleaning I have 9mm and 223's. How many of each do you think one should put in the tumble (max) to get them that clean?

Can you put both 223 and 9mm together or will you get the "telescoping" effect?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DSCI0005-2.jpg

I have mine sitting on crate foam and it seems to cut down on the noise. However, I always start it and let it run when I am not in the man room.

Terry

New poll results as of 11/10/2010 at 5:30pm EST

11-10-10poll.jpg
</div></div>

You replaced the OEM cover with polycarbonate?

I run about 100 223 at a time.....though I have never counted, might be more. you will know when you got too many.

dont mix brass unless you want to be pulling the dang things apart.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fattire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just out of curiousity- to those using this method - of cleaning I have 9mm and 223's. How many of each do you think one should put in the tumble (max) to get them that clean?

Can you put both 223 and 9mm together or will you get the "telescoping" effect? </div></div>

Taken from a old post on Page #2

120case of 308's
240case of 223's & 45's
318cases of 40S&W
342cases of 9mm

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enios</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I'm pleased with my set up and after a quick look around found a pretty quick and easy way to dry my brass... something like this may already be here, but I've looked at over half this post and hadn't seen anything like this... If there is excuse my lazieness... I have several of the MTM boxes with the handles and I just popped out the insides of one of the 100 round boxes and put them on my floor fan... doesn't take long to dry them for the most part and then I set them under a desk lamp on my reloading table to finish them off... fan is running in picture even tho it appears to be off....

IMG_6795-1.jpg

IMG_6794-1.jpg
</div></div>

I use that same ammo box insert as a loading block for my Garand fodder. I also use a fan very similar to that one for drying my brass. It works very well, but I use a small mesh bag to hold the cases across the face of the fan, which works great for large quantities of pistol brass.

Walmart has the mesh bags in the section where you find laundry baskets. They are designed to strap to the inside of the clothes dryer door for drying tennis shoes without the infernal banging. They have a large velcro closure opening and allow the air to circulate well through the brass for quick drying.

I'll have to try using the ammo box insert for drying the '06 brass.

I made a baking pan out of aluminum foil and dried my brass at about 200°F. Quick and easy with no mess. By the time the oven reaches temp, the brass is dry. Turn off the oven, open the door and let cool until you can handle them. Very easy method and thus far, I've found no negative consequences.

I had something odd happen today. I was washing a batch of .223 brass. When they came out, they all had these multicolored splotches on them...

The history:

I tried washing too many cases last weekend and some came out with carbon deposits in the primer pockets. I decided to split the batch in half (I knew I had washed that many before) and clean them up. The first half, I washed like normal and they came out as expected. For the second half, I fixed up a new container. Remember I'm the guy that uses the ice cream maker with a coffee can. I got a different container that a whey drink mix came in. It's smooth inside so I used a hot glue gun to make some ridges to (hopefully) make the brass tumble. I let the brass soak for 30 minutes in hot water with Dawn and Lemi Shine. The glue ridges did not feel like they were getting soft. Tumbled for 5 hours. Ridges looked okay when the container was empty.

The only thing I can think of is that the chemistry of the glue reacted somehow. Any other ideas? Is the brass safe to use, or trash now?

Would like to give this ss media a try, please send supplier info.
Thanks,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aristata</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would like to give this ss media a try, please send supplier info.
Thanks,

</div></div>

PM sent!

Terry

FTB:

Was the brass like that after your soak? Kinda looks like galvanic action between touching cases that was sitting there soaking! I had that happen once coming home from the range when I let them sit too long without aggitation.

Try re-running them and see if it resolves. It worked on some of the brass I had it happen to.

I try to avoid prolonged soaks without shaking the brass around.

Terry

Terry, the only soaking I did was after I put the Dawn and LemiShine into the container with hot water. I try to mix that up well and then dump only the cases in there and let it soak for a half hour. Then, I add the SS media and more hot water up nearly to the top and then tumble it.

I'll give it another tumble in the "traditional" coffee can and see if that will clear it up. Maybe it was not tumbling enough in the test container and was just sliding around which would sort of be like soaking without agitation.

Terry, Could you send the supplier info to me as well? Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sudnit5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terry, Could you send the supplier info to me as well? Thanks. </div></div>

Pm Sent!

New Poll results as of 11/28/2010 @ 8:00pm EST

poll11-28-10.jpg

Terry

Wow, this media does an awesome job. Thanks for the contact Terry!

Well, I finally got around to trying this SS media. I got some back in June but being a cheap a$$ I have been trying to get a decent price on a used Thumler tumbler on Ebay ever since! I finally scored on one a couple weeks back but hunting season has been in and we all know how important that is!!

I figured until I got a good system down I'd start with the easiest, the 50BMG. I can say with the 50 its defenitely quicker and does a better job than any vibratory tumbler. You don't have to worry about any of the rods getting stuck in them! I'm very impressed with how it works. I did 3 batches of 30 today and they look new and I only ran them for 2.5 hours per batch.

I see another tumbler and more media in the future. Is it still the same price?

Whitetailnut:

I am not 100% sure what its at! The last I heard it was $50.50 per 5lbs shipped to the door! i have Pm'd you Marks contact and he can update you for sure on what it's going for now!

Terry