• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

Re: Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

I sometimes have trouble getting the inside parts. Don't even know if anything is in there actually, but just wondering if it would damage it at all.

I myself would not do so. Brake cleaner and a tooth brush has always gotten my bolt clean.

Terry

K thanks for the prompt and helpful feedback. Have read this thread with great interest and when (if?) I start reloading I will definitely be in line for this stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Zuke wrote: More water = less noise </div></div>

More water = less clean. Only fill to about an inch and a half from top. The sloshing effect of the open space helps clean.

BRASS DRYING TIP:

Today, I tumbled a batch of .308 brass. Since there was no sun to air dry like I usually do, I thought I would try something new.

After towel drying the brass, I poured two small bottles of 91% alcohol (99% would be better) in a separate bucket and put the brass in the bucket and gave them an alcohol rinse. I toweled them again and in 5 minutes all the brass was perfectly dry. When finished, I poured the alcohol back in their containers to use again.

This is a great way of drying brass. I'm sold on it. No need for complicated drying contraptions and methods.

I thought I would pass this tip along to you. Enjoy!

New poll results as of 10/26/2010 @ 5:00pm EST

10-26-10poll.jpg

Terry

Received the stainless steel media a few weeks ago. Using a small 3# Thumler A-R1 tumbler left over from kid’s rock polishing days. Still working on adjusting the amounts of materials and time, but have been mostly using around 20 oz. media, 100 pcs 40 S&W, water to about 1/4" over materials, small squirt of Ivory and 2-3 pinches of Lemi Shine. Run the tumbler 1-2 hours, rinse and play with the pretty brass.
1000 pcs of 40 S&W, range pickup, thus far and the only problem I've had was when I ran the tumbler for an hour, turned it off overnight and then ran it for a couple of hours the next morning. The brass was dull and slightly discolored. I suspect the long soak in the acidic Lemi Shine solution etched the brass.

Thanks to this thread and a bit of research I decided to go with this method, my order for a Thumblers tumbler and SS media arrived today here in the UK. Ready waiting were 100 deprimed once fired .243 Lapua cases which I've used to christen the machine with. Just like a kid with a new toy I've gone to check on the brass after every hour and so far after 3 hours the brass is nearly ready - just a bit to go on the primer pockets.
The only difference with my recipe from you guys in the US is instead of Dawn soap I'm using Fairy Liquid dish detergent.

Big thanks to Cory at Stainless Tumbling Media for supplying the 220V model and media and also for the Lemishine (not available over here either!).

Just need to go and purchase another travel adapter as I've stolen the one my wife uses for her hair straighteners! (why they've got a US plug I don't know but I do know if I don't return the plug I'll be in for it...!)

serf rett:

The carbon that was removed via tumbling and suspended in the soap water mixture rebonded to the brass while sitting idle. They probaly had a gun metal color to them didn't they. I too have had that happen, everyone that used this system will too at some point. The best way is to tumble for 3-4hrs and rinse your brass and media well.

Retumble that same brass for 2-3hrs and they should come out like new.

Terry

Guys,
I had a problem today with the media, not a big one more of an observation. I was tumbling about 30 243 cases and after 4 hours the primer pockets were still very dirty. Also the cases were full of media when I dumped the water out. I used to use ceramic media and found that you could actually use too much media. Took some media out and retumbled for an hour. All the pockets were clean this time. Just food for thought.

Hey guys, here is a caveat on using stainless media....be sure to get ALL of the media out of your cases. I apparently had a batch that I didnt do such a good job of cleaning it out and ended up sending a few down the bbl. Actually cost me a "5" in a 600 yard match, and who knows how many of the couple other pts I dropped. But, the good news is that the bbl will still shoot, as my last string was a 200-12x.

I borescoped the bbl today (shot it last week) and this is what you see after cleaning it all week and then JBing it today. See that streak, I would bet any amount of moola that its stainless media literally melted into the bore.

10qjtxw.jpg

WOrking on a video of the borescope and will u/l it if I get it to work.

Ok, lets try the link for the video. Oh, and disgregard the great 80s music blaring in the background as I had the Sirius radio on the 80s station and they just advertised for the Saturday Night Safety Dance and you can guess what song they played. :)

You can see two things in the video, see the media melted into the groove on the left and the spot in the land where another piece of media "cut" into the land. Ouch!

Luckily this was this years across the course bbl so I wasnt planning on running it for big course next year even though it shoots extremely well still, even with this "damage".

http://tinypic.com/r/2wflfz7/7

Dammn John that is nasty, the music that is. That is eyeopening Thank you for the video and the warning.

John

Yeah, can you believe that song was pretty big back in the day! heehee.

Funny thing is that the bbl seems to still shoot just fine. Will run it again at 300 and 500 here at the house and if its where it should be, will keep using it XTC until 2000+/- rounds then short courses and practice.

Seems that if I tumble the snot out of the brass in the separator for a while I tend to not get the jammed up flash holes.

John

Has anyone used this on nickel plated brass?
I know I saw this question asked before but don't remember seeing an answer.
The reason I am asking is I get a shitload of once fired 9mm plated brass free from a LE friend,
Oh- THANKS in advance

If it shoots, Drives FAST, or has hair around it-- I'm into it!

Yes,I have tumbled nickel cases. Just do not run them longer than 3-4hrs and younwill be fine.

Terry

So I've been using this method for a long time and have loved it.
I ran three batches yesterday and one today.

The first of the three batches yesterday was fine and came out the normal shiny batch. The second batch, I got stranded at work and couldn't come back till 8 hours later so they tumbled for about 9 hours total. The water was extremely black and the brass was anything but shiny. They came out "clean" but they're so dull and have this matte look to them. I thought that's weird and maybe it's because they were tumbled too long. So I ran another batch and ran it for the usual 4 hours, and the second batch came out matte and dull like the first one. Same with the third batch and the other batch I did today.

What happened? Why are they no longer coming out shiny? Have I ruined the rubber lining or something?

Try cleaning your media...thats what happened with mine. I now clean and rinse my media after every batch.

When you dump out brass and media, take the brass out of black water and place in clean water.

Pour off the black water over a strainer.

After rinsing your brass continue to use that water by pouring in the media just separated from brass/water to rinse carbon off it. My rinse pan has about 2 gallons of water and I use a quart at a time to rinse soap/carbon from media pouring it off after every quart. Media should come out bright and shiney.

Tumbling too long or not using enough soap causes it to break down and redeposits carbon all over everything inside and outside. We have about all had this happen. Used to be worse before someone discovered Limishine.

Same thing will happen if you cut it off and walk off and leave it. You have to dump it as soon as you cut it off before it redeposits.

You might just run a run with soap and Limishine and no brass for an hour to clean it.

suasponte pm sent for media can't wait!

I tried adding dishwashing machine liquid soap. The brass came out clean but had a brown tinge.

The best is Lemishine and Dawn. I tumble about 200 pieces for about 3-4 hours. These come out like jewels - perfect and shiny.

Someone should invent a stainless steel bearing replacement set for the axles on the Tumbler. The axles have these plastic bushings on which the tumbler sits, which I add a few drops of oil before every use - if some enterprising mechanically minded individual could adapt a SS bearing, ...

Like for instance, radio controlled cars use these bearings, and someone could adapt a holder from a RC car to fit into the tumbler platform. The bearing are cheap at about $2.00 - $3.00 apiece.

Hmmmmm... there is a Hobby Lobby wiht a RC Car center right near me....

Be right back...

Tumble just your media with soap & lemishine for 1-2hrs then rinse the media till the water runs clean.

Terry

Has anyone had trouble with their ultra clean .45 brass sticking to the powder funnel on a Dillon or similar press? I thin the brass is so clean it acts like new and is sticking...

Are you refering to the expander/powder die?

I have run thousands of 45's on my 550 and have not had any issues with the brass sticking. I usally take a peice of #0000 steel wool and twist it a few times on the expander portion before each loading session! Try that and see if it helps you.

Terry

PM me the contact info. I need some also!

just a thought...

has anyone tried using <span style="font-weight: bold">unsweetened</span> lemon/lime koolaid as a substitute for Lemishine? I figure the active ingredient in Lemishine is likely to be citric acid, and unsweetened lemon lime koolaid is basically citric acid with artificial flavoring. has to be unsweetened because the sugar in the standard type would be counter productive to say the least...

being from Australia Lemishine is hard to come by short of ordering from overseas and hoping that customs allows it into the country but I know I can get koolaid fairly easily as an "American candy" shop near me stocks it..

anyone willing to experiment?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WarMachine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just a thought...

has anyone tried using <span style="font-weight: bold">unsweetened</span> lemon/lime koolaid as a substitute for Lemishine? I figure the active ingredient in Lemishine is likely to be citric acid, and unsweetened lemon lime koolaid is basically citric acid with artificial flavoring. has to be unsweetened because the sugar in the standard type would be counter productive to say the least...

being from Australia Lemishine is hard to come by short of ordering from overseas and hoping that customs allows it into the country but I know I can get koolaid fairly easily as an "American candy" shop near me stocks it..

anyone willing to experiment?
</div></div>

I remembered to look for some koolaid at the super market today but all I could find was lemon-lime Kool-Aid but it wasn't sugar free.
It got the brass I would say to about 85% the same as Lemmishine.
The interior was spotless but since I didn't deprime this brass I can't tell you about the primer pocket's.
The primer's themselve's were cleaned off pretty nicely.
If you need some Lemmishine I could send it to you.
Coming from Canada it might not st off the same alarm bell's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zx14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PM me the contact info. I need some also! </div></div>

Info has been sent.

Aaahhh! Lemishine, a black market item.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lex Luther</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes on the expander. I cleaned it, but the problem returns too quickly... </div></div>

Get some Flitz metal polish and put it on some #0000 fine steel wool. Polish it till it looks all nice and shiny. I have done this with all my Dillon stuff and have no problems with the brass sticking. Even with new brass it should not stick! Are you flaring the case mouths excessively? If none of this helps I would contact Dillon and see what they have to say.

Terry

Thanks for giving it a shot Zuke, I wasn't sure how it would turn out but I guess now I have some idea. Thanks also for the offer of sending me Lemishine, I'm sure I can order in bulk and have it sent to me, I'll send a PM your way if sourcing it becomes a problem.
smile.gif

lol Terry, it's far from being a black market item but you know what customs are like.. Lemishine being white powder.. I know I can order it and get it sent to me from amazon, ebay, etc etc but I know that customs tends to open all "powdery" substances and I'm not sure on the rules regarding chemical shipping so I was looking for a solution that I know is available to me.

was just an idea
smile.gif
thanks again Zuke.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">John,

In light of sending SS down the tube your choice of "Safety Dance" is appropriate.....bad music and appropriate. </div></div>

Yeah, I know, sorry about the offending music...didnt even think about it when I was videoing the borescope.....was just shaking my head about being such a dipwad as to not notice the dang media in the flash holes...and i am usually really good about checking those out. But, crap happens.......unfortunately Murphy says it will happen in a big match where the scores are tight and cost one the win!

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">John,

In light of sending SS down the tube your choice of "Safety Dance" is appropriate.....bad music and appropriate. </div></div>

Yeah, I know, sorry about the offending music...didnt even think about it when I was videoing the borescope.....was just shaking my head about being such a dipwad as to not notice the dang media in the flash holes...and i am usually really good about checking those out. But, crap happens.......unfortunately Murphy says it will happen in a big match where the scores are tight and cost one the win!

John
</div></div>

Good point and lesson learned.

I am sure it would seeing how I have used Citranox in this process with great results. However, the Ivory/Lemishine mix does just as well if not better.

Terry

Well I went ahead and decided to try the Hornady Sonic Cleaner solution and got some great results.
Here is before, yet after about an hour in an ultrasonic cleaner and an hour in a vibratory tumbler:
IMG00018-20101104-1802.jpg

And after about 3 hours in the tumbler with 1/2 gallon of water and one ounce of Hornady SCS:
IMG00020-20101104-2117.jpg

Which one is new and which one has been fired 3 times?
IMG00023-20101104-2121.jpg

could someone post a before and after photo of a case thats been throught the ss media that has been trimmed and mouth chamfered, just so i/we can see the edge of the case mouth please,
would like to see what it does to prepped brass, so far i think the pics have been mainly of picked up range brass,
many thanks

Dave338

I will take some prepped 223's I have and run them with before and afters this weekend

Terry

cheers
really appreciate that
be interesting to see the results on the prepped neck mouth,
over here we pay £55 -100 .308 lapua brass £62for .223 [$88.99 /$100.32 ]
so dont want to have to trim after every clean to square mouth + chamfer. at these prices you have to look after it

Six 223 prepped case mouths! Lyman VLD with a outside 45 bevel.

Put them in the tumbler at 6:00pm EST. Wiil get them out in 3hr's.

DSC01235.jpg

wow thanks for doing that , really appreciate the effort.
its not the result i was expecting,! i really thought that the mouth would get roughed up more,
the old tumbler is now destined for the bin!!
next thing will be to sort out new tumbler for the ssmedia
thanks again for the photos

Well, I could not find Lemi Shine anywhere near me, so I rememberd an old American Rifleman magazine trick. I tumbled in dish soap, rinsed the cases and media refilled with water and two teaspoons of creame of tarter (a powder available in the spice section)
and the cases gleam like polished gold bars! I will get some pics up today.

The lemishine is on order so I will do a head to head.

Lemishine's active ingredient is citric acid. You can get citric acid a lot cheaper and easier. Buy Lemon Kool-ade (unsweetened - <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> sugar free) for about a quarter a pack. Vinegar works too.

I just finished reading all 22 pages of this post. I have a few thousand rounds of .223 brass, a thousand or so 5.56x45, a thousand or so 7.62x51 and a few thousand of various pistol brass to clean.

Terry has already sent me the contact info and I am impatiently waiting on a reply. (As if this project is going to be time critical on the stainless media.)

NOW! - I just need to go make some brass dirty.

Ron

So what if I substitute short lengths of bare copper electrical wire?

That's something I could make at home.

Greg