• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

Re: Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattmcg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terry, were there any improvements that the Thumler provided over the RCBS? Since I'm starting from scratch, I'd love to know why I should go one way or the other for SSM. </div></div>

I really prefer the octagonal barrel that Thumlers provides. It forces the materails to tumble. Some of the Round barrel tumblers allows the material to just slide on the surface of the drum and not tumble. With the Thumlers style barrel that does not happen, see photo below! Palmik has a video of his tumbler running with a clear lid and you can watch how it works. Not sure where it is located in the threads. Maybe he will read this and repost it.

DSCI0005-2.jpg

Terry

I'm using the SS and a Thumler's on Lapua 6.5x47. I find that the media really likes to get caught in the throats. I get one every 10 or so cases, sometimes two or more, and occasionally behind the one caught in the throat the entire case will be filled with the rodes, lengthwise. I can pour these out easily.

The primer pockets come nice and clean, but the inside base of the case is not getting completely clean. I'm running it 6 hours, which helps, but that means only 1 load a day because of work. Perhaps more soap next time? I does take a LOT of rinsing to get the soap off (I have soft water).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DSCI0005-2.jpg

Terry </div></div>

Ooh! Eggcrate foam. Maybe that will keep it from walking across my bench.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kentucky Jelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a cell pic, but managed to get 1,500 pieces of LC .308 done. (100 pieces at a time in Thumler) About 30 years of head stamps. Some of it was pretty bad. It all looks identical now.

Just a cell phone pic.
308brass.jpg

Now just to size, trim, prime, and hopefully one day shoot! </div></div>

Man thats a lot of brass

I am considering starting using the type of cleaning for my brass cases. But I am concerned that overtime the stainless steel will wear down the brass since steel is harder than brass. Has this been an issue for anyone? I am sure it would take awhile to notice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WTW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am considering starting using the type of cleaning for my brass cases. But I am concerned that overtime the stainless steel will wear down the brass since steel is harder than brass. Has this been an issue for anyone? I am sure it would take awhile to notice. </div></div>

I definitely notice some "brass dust" in the water after tumbling. Its like panning for gold while rinsing the brass/media. I don't think its anything to worry about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WTW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am considering starting using the type of cleaning for my brass cases. But I am concerned that overtime the stainless steel will wear down the brass since steel is harder than brass. Has this been an issue for anyone? I am sure it would take awhile to notice. </div></div>

A long time ago I tumbled a single 308 case with every load I did for apporx 6 months with no noticable weight change. This was measured on a DI MXX-123 scale.

Terry

Has anyone considered the benefit of SSM, as compared to any of the treated vibratory medias - that there is no chance of any rouge or abrasive media treatment ending up in your barrel?

Has anyone considered the benefit of SSM, as compared to any of the treated vibratory medias - that there is no chance of any rouge or abrasive media treatment ending up in your barrel?

Well if you don't inspect every case and let 1 piece of SSM down your bore you may be too dumb to reload ammo.

Maybe I'm too dumb to reload ammo. Obviously its not advisable to have any if this media inside a loaded cartridge - but I can't think of any reason it might blow up a gun. Perhaps damage the bore, but even that seems unlikely to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Borg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will be able to put more cases/media in the Thumblers than the RCBS, the RCBS is angled and not level.
Just thinking, Harbor Freight has a $20 coupon on their site, and their small cement mixer is on sale for $149, sounds cheaper than a Thumblers,, if it will work. </div></div>

Borg, I finally got my cement mixer up and running a few hours ago.....it work's so far....I just tried to post pics but I'm failing so far....

[img:center]
mixer3.jpg
[/img] [img:center]http://
mixer2k.jpg
[/img] [img:center]http://
mixer.jpg
[/img]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9mmkungfu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Instead of SSM, which would you use instead?

Did the SSM get the primer pockets clean?

Slightly offtopic, but what kind of turbo 5.4 are you running? Ford modular? </div></div>

I don't know what else to use. I'm not *unhappy* with the SSM, it's just that for every Pro, there is a Con. Tumbling wet makes the whole thing a pain... A mini cement mixer that you didn't have to seal with a gasket and wing nuts would be more convenient for sure. A better way to rinse the media/brass slurry of crap and soap would be nice.

The SSM certainly gets the primer pockets 98% clean - much better than any another method I've used including corn, walnut and primer pocket cleaning tools.

I don't have a turbocharged 5.4 anymore - used to be into Ford Mod Motors - back before I went back to school for my Masters. The screen name/handle goes way back, and I've just stuck with it for continuity sake. You're the only person not from the corral that has recognized the "meaning" of turbo54.</div></div>

Thanks for all the input. My reloading bench is right next to my backyard door, with a hose next to the door. The SSM method may work out for me.

I'm on the corral, but I haven't logged in there for ages. I too have a turbo 5.4, dohc mod motor. I think I was one of the first guys running a 5.4 dohc. I use the handle "streetracer" on there.

Brycer how are your overall results? Would like to see how many .308, .223, etc you can do at once and get the same results as a small Thumler load.

Same here.
Also, do you find that it peens the mouth of the case more?
Is that a plastic water bottle in the first pic or ??
Borg
ETA What's the RPM on that mixer?

Kentucky Jelly .....What you see in the pictures was my first and only run so far ...I just wanted to get things running so I tossed a bunch of miscellaneous brass in there with 10 pounds of Marks media and about a gallon of water/dawn/lemishine.....I had clean primer pockets and shiny brass in about and hour........the brass wasn't super dirty stuff and had been soaking for about a month from my plastic water cooler bottle experiment......(so no problem with the "extended soaking" for those that had that question).....
But to make an attempt at answering your question.....the super star is the SS media......and the results are that it does exactly what we all want it to do.....the cement mixer is just another option and in my mind is not going to change the results for better or for worse.....Someone in this thread had their version of the ideal brass to SS media ratio..... I think I will start with that if I find it again......(I really wish I would have taken some notes when I first read this ENTIRE thread!) ......and I could actually double it because I have 10 pounds of SS media in that mixer.......The mixer is going to handle it........

Borg.......I had read in this very thread that the metal paddles that come with the cement mixer may be too harsh........that's why my first attempt was indeed that water cooler bottle. (which I still think would work well but would limit the mixers use as a multitasker!)
So the concern with the cement mixer option seems to be "too harsh"......or "sliding" instead of tumbling......It's easy to assume the weakness of the cement mixer would be the lack of tumbling action...because without "paddles", the media/brass really does just slide....

So here's the key to anyone considering going with the cement mixer.....MAKE YOUR OWN PADDLES! .......the possibilities are endless!........if you use something other than metal.....you just solved the "possibly too harsh" issue.....your own home made paddles are easy because the mixer comes with metal paddles and there are 4 pre drilled holes to mount those .....I used two of those holes to bolt in my version of paddles.....I grabbed the first thing I thought of ...and it's easy to experiment by removing and reinstalling.....you can see the "action" in the pics..... it works fine !

I will see I can dig up the RPM..... but I can tell you it's fine the way it is.....

No peened case mouths just from the cases falling farther?
Borg

Magnets are awesome.

So I did a not so smart move the other day and ended up spilling about a 1/4 cup of media in the backyard (won't try that technique again).
So I got my heavy duty magnet to pick them up. I haven't been that happy with the style of magnet I had, difficult to dig them out of the hole in the disc magnet.
So I went here and ordered 10 of the 1/2 N52's.
K & J Magnets
Much stronger and easier to remove because of the shape.
With all 10 stacked, I went over the area in the yard where I, well, screwed up. Picked up another 1/2 teaspoon worth that the other magnet didn't get.

No peening on the case mouths that I saw or that jumped out at me......I can't say that I really looked for that.......(I'm not at home now to take a closer look).......the cases are not really falling that far, and they are falling into water.....I can't really see it creating a peening issue......Has anyone had this happen ??.....
If that does happen....I would revisit the water cooler bottle inside the mixer....I'll run my thoughts by you....but keep in mind I am the furthest thing from any kind of mechanical wizard......The water cooler bottle sandwiches between the two halves. The mixer opening is smaller than the bottle, which holds it in but with about 1/8 inch of play........the rubber gasket it comes with could possibly be left out to take up that play..(?)....Then I would consider silicon on the top and bottom of the bottle where it would touch the halves of the mixer, let cure, then tighten down the two halves....squeezing the bottle in between and hopefully causing a good grip......depending on how much weight you put in it.....if you thought it needed more support, you could then squirt a couple cans of "Great Stuff" (expanding spray foam) into the paddle mounting holes, which would then fill the air space between the bottle and mixer , supporting the bottle even more...(?)....
Also, if you were to use a bottle with the actual handle molded in it, instead of one without, being that it's not a smooth drum the handle space would cause the agitation and could eliminate any need to have paddles....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoof</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Magnets are awesome.

So I did a not so smart move the other day and ended up spilling about a 1/4 cup of media in the backyard (won't try that technique again).
So I got my heavy duty magnet to pick them up. I haven't been that happy with the style of magnet I had, difficult to dig them out of the hole in the disc magnet.
So I went here and ordered 10 of the 1/2 N52's.
K & J Magnets
Much stronger and easier to remove because of the shape.
With all 10 stacked, I went over the area in the yard where I, well, screwed up. Picked up another 1/2 teaspoon worth that the other magnet didn't get.
</div></div>

Hoof, could you put a barrier between the magnet & media that your trying to pick up.....like cloth......then just peel the cloth from the magnet...? that may make it's easier than trying to individually remove the media.....

I put my big ugly magnet inside a ziplock plastic bag.
Get off as much as you can then turn the bag inside out to get'em all off.

Just the facts:

Found 10 rounds of 9mm loaded ammo at the range the other day. Didn't want to take a chance by shooting someone's reloads, so I broke them down. Threw the 10 primed cases into the Thumlers, with my normal soap/Lemi/water mix and ran it for 4 hours.

Everything came out nice and shiny, of course, but just for fun, I set the ten, still primed cases aside and let them dry for one full day.

Yesterday, I dropped the now dried out cases into my Glock 17 and guess what? BANG! Every time.

Yes, I was a little surprised.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollerCam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just the facts:

Found 10 rounds of 9mm loaded ammo at the range the other day. Didn't want to take a chance by shooting someone's reloads, so I broke them down. Threw the 10 primed cases into the Thumlers, with my normal soap/Lemi/water mix and ran it for 4 hours.

Everything came out nice and shiny, of course, but just for fun, I set the ten, still primed cases aside and let them dry for one full day.

Yesterday, I dropped the now dried out cases into my Glock 17 and guess what? BANG! Every time.

Yes, I was a little surprised. </div></div>

So those wet primers went bang?

Thats supsising

Didn't think of putting the magnet inside of something.

Was there a memo?

I joined the SS club yesterday.

Have yet to try it out because the 220V Tumbler has some wack ass plug on it (mexican?).

Will post up results when I can.

Vman, if you keep hanging around the creek bank, you're bound to fall in sooner or later. I think you'll like the water.
cool.gif

Haha thats a nice saying, never heard it before.

I KNOW i will like the water. Just need to sort this plug out.

I have an Electrician friend thats gonna change it for me. Here in Australia we have tight regulations and cant do these things ourselves.

Vman,I'd change the cord so you can use it anywhere you decided to plug it into.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I know of two guys using the SS media with the RCBS tumbler and they have no issues with it.

Terry </div></div>

Glad someone already answered this for me. Have an RCBS Sidewinder that's been sitting unused since I stopped coating bullets with moly years ago, guess I found a new use for it
grin.gif

Guys, yall do know you can buy magnets that are used to pick stuff up that have a handle and a "lever" that when you pull the lever it pulls the magnet and drops whatever you picked up? You can get them at industrial supply shops or now and then you can find them at Big Lots or that type of store for a few bucks. Mine works great...just sweep is over the floor, whatever and it picks up all the pcs.

I reported earlier that it was taking me over 6 hours to get 6.5x47 Lapua looking as nice as the cases I see in this thread. Well, today I tried some .308. I have about 6000 empty .308 cases, BHA and FGMM. I ran 100 of the Black Hills brass for 4 hours and it looks great.

I think the 6.5 is exactly the size that is likeliest to have stuck media. Of the 100 .308 cases, not one had a stuck piece. In a lot of 100 6.5x47 cases, there are probably 10 or 15 with a stuck piece, or jammed full of media.

Don't get ahead of youself. I get a pin stuck in 307 case mouths here and there. Today I found two 308 cases with a pin logded sideways in the primer pocket.

I've also found it takes way more than 4ish hours runtime. More like 10-15 for cases to come out "sweet".

Wow I guess I am lucky ... as I run them for 4 hours and they come out perfect and I have not had one pin get stuck. What soap are you using?

I've used both Ajax liquid dish detergent and Dawn. I use Lemishine. I've read some people recommend Ivory. Will try that next. Hard to believe it would cut 10 hours off the time, but worth a try.

I've used both Ajax liquid dish detergent and Dawn. I use Lemishine. I've read some people recommend Ivory. Will try that next. Hard to believe it would cut 10 hours off the time, but worth a try.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've also found it takes way more than 4ish hours runtime. More like 10-15 for cases to come out "sweet". </div></div>

Then your doing something wrong.
These are after 6 hour's of tumbling,
DSCF1256.jpg

DSCF1259.jpg

DSCF1257.jpg

DSCF1258.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've also found it takes way more than 4ish hours runtime. More like 10-15 for cases to come out "sweet". </div></div>

Then your doing something wrong.
These are after 6 hour's of tumbling,
DSCF1256.jpg

DSCF1259.jpg

DSCF1257.jpg

DSCF1258.jpg
</div></div>

I agree... 12 hours???? But I have yet to do brass that grungy. Every time I come home from the range I pop primers and throw my just fired brass in the tumbler for 15 minutes with dawn and lemi. Perfectly clean every time!

I do have the high speed tumbler, but I wonder what I could be doing wrong.... Its not rocket science!

turbo54...

Ok ... so I have a few questions...

1. How much Dawn? and which one?
2. How much lemon shine?
3. How full do you fill the tank?
4. How many pieces per tank usually?
5. How much stainless steel media do you use?
6. Which tumbler do you have?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apophas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">turbo54...

Ok ... so I have a few questions...

1. How much Dawn? and which one?
2. How much lemon shine?
3. How full do you fill the tank?
4. How many pieces per tank usually?
5. How much stainless steel media do you use?
6. Which tumbler do you have?

</div></div>

I use about 2 shots of detergent. I've gotten a "feel" for using enough so there is a nice head of larger when I open it up.

I put 5lb of media in, then my brass, then fill with water up to about 2" from the top (thumler model b - high speed).

Number of pieces of brass is usually in the 50-60 of 308 zone.

I use a 40SW case full of lemishine.

Ok ... I dont know if this will make a difference ... but seeing that we have the same equipment this is what I do ... all I can tell you is try it this way and see if you get positive results.

Fill the tumbler up about 1.5 inches from the top with cold water
2 Tablespoons of Dawn concentrait
1/4 Teaspoon of lemonshine.
Add the brass in
Tumble for 4 hours.

I have used that mix on "nasty" brass and they come out like new.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apophas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok ... I dont know if this will make a difference ... but seeing that we have the same equipment this is what I do ... all I can tell you is try it this way and see if you get positive results.

Fill the tumbler up about 1.5 inches from the top with cold water
2 Tablespoons of Dawn concentrait
1/4 Teaspoon of lemonshine.
Add the brass in
Tumble for 4 hours.

I have used that mix on "nasty" brass and they come out like new.

</div></div>

I usually use a little less soap and a little more Lemi-Shine...

I also use hot water rather than cold...

4 Hours has been sufficient for me...

223rs.jpg