• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

Re: Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlliedArmory</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlliedArmory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What method does everyone use to dry the cases after? </div></div>

Ammo can, Axial Fan, and a 67watt light bulb.

DSCI0001-5.jpg

Terry </div></div>

I was going to make something similar to that. How long does it take to dry lets say 100 308 cases? </div></div>

I usually toss them into the dryer and let them go over night.

However, I have rolled them around in a towel to get them as dry as possible and let them go for a couple hours.

Most guys that are wanting to load right awat are going with the alchohol and hair dryer trick.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello I finally read through all 34 pages of testimonials and I am interested in trying the stainless steel brass cleaning. I have a Lyman vibratory tumbler that works okay on the outside of the case and I have tried the ultrasonic method and I find that it does okay but is limited on how many can be done and I have found that the outside of the cases are not as shiny as what my Lyman tumbler can get them and defiantly nowhere near as good as what I have seen posted here.
I see that most people are using the Thumler's Model B high speed tumblers, has anyone used the A-R12 tumbler? I am interested in the A-R12 because of the all rubber barrel that the A-R12 model has.
Also I like to use the Lyman plastic mesh bags to keep brass lots together and to keep different calibers seperate I was wondering if that can be done using this method as well?

Don </div></div>

Don:

Yes, I have talked to guys using the 12lb Thumlers with the same great results.

Mesh bags to seperate calibers I have not had any reports on.
Maybe someone in the Convert Club will chime in with a response.

I do not see why it would not work other than how tight the mesh was on the bags.

Terry

Received my Thumlers today and put some water, soap, and the SSM to tumble for a few hours to break it in.

So a few questions:
1. Any suggestions on larger magnets to use to pick the SSM up?

2. Where exactly am I supposed to put a drop of oil on the motor to keep it in top running shape?

2. Where exactly am I supposed to put a drop of oil on the motor to keep it in top running shape?

When the motor's mounted to the base plate,if you look at either end of the motor on the top you'll see a small hole or opening.
I put a drop or 2 everytime I use mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattmcg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
So a few questions:
</div></div>

I know others have the random large magnets, but I simply use a Craftsman automotive magnet (the one that looks like a pen that extends like an antenna). It's not the most powerful magnet by any means, but it does a great job of picking up the random little pieces stuck to the rubber gasket with a quick wave. It can't cost more than a couple of bucks at a Sears. I remove all of my brass from the tumbler by hand and toss it in rinse water in the sink and usually only have 10-15 pieces to pick up between the rubber gasket and those that may have fallen out in the sink. On average, out of 150 cases of .223 or so, I only have 2-3 cases where 2 pins will get stuck in the flash hole side by side. Beats the heck out of pushing a piece of corncob media out of almost every single flash hole using the old tumbling method. Just another added benefit
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello I finally read through all 34 pages of testimonials and I am interested in trying the stainless steel brass cleaning. I have a Lyman vibratory tumbler that works okay on the outside of the case and I have tried the ultrasonic method and I find that it does okay but is limited on how many can be done and I have found that the outside of the cases are not as shiny as what my Lyman tumbler can get them and defiantly nowhere near as good as what I have seen posted here.
I see that most people are using the Thumler's Model B high speed tumblers, has anyone used the A-R12 tumbler? I am interested in the A-R12 because of the all rubber barrel that the A-R12 model has.
Also I like to use the Lyman plastic mesh bags to keep brass lots together and to keep different calibers seperate I was wondering if that can be done using this method as well?

Don </div></div>

Don:

Yes, I have talked to guys using the 12lb Thumlers with the same great results.

Mesh bags to seperate calibers I have not had any reports on.
Maybe someone in the Convert Club will chime in with a response.

I do not see why it would not work other than how tight the mesh was on the bags.

Terry </div></div>

Thanks for the reply I now have one ordered and I will try the mesh bags and see how it work out.

Don

Don:

Please post your results with the mesh bags. I am sure there is interest in the outcome.

Terry

What is the consensus with seating force with the guys using this method? I read on page 30 some guys are using a moly base to alleviate some problem, is this a big issue?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don:

Please post your results with the mesh bags. I am sure there is interest in the outcome.

Terry </div></div>

Okay when I have everything together and I give it a try I will post how it works.

Don

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quackaddict</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the consensus with seating force with the guys using this method? I read on page 30 some guys are using a moly base to alleviate some problem, is this a big issue? </div></div>

Do you mean bullet seating force? I decap dirty cases, then necksize clean cases - having applied a little lanolin/alcohol lube to the inside and outside of the neck with a q-tip. Bullet seating is great.

Also, bullets are NOT mandrels and should not be used like one. If your neck isn't appropriate for good bullet seating, correct it! Don't just lube the bullet and call it good!

Got my Model B! Just waiting for my media to come. Should be here tomorrow or Monday! Thanks to Terry & Mark.

Bullet seating force seating bullets is nice for the feel but the most important thing to achieve is consistant bullet PULL tension and this is rather interesting to measure.
Bullet pull can be anywhere from a couple of pounds and in excess of 300 lbs and still be in spec. Obviously if you have a bullet pull of 10 lbs on one shot and 300 lbs on next shot isn't the best combination for long range accuracy.

Turbo54, where did you get your lanolin?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattmcg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Received my Thumlers today and put some water, soap, and the SSM to tumble for a few hours to break it in.

So a few questions:

</div></div>

Them motor on mine has a label printed "sealed bearings". I only oil where the shaft goes into the nylon bushings.

Plenty of sun where I am from so built a basic drying box.
Box with sheet of glass over the front. Position it angled to get full sun, 2 hours max cases are dry.

Have a 40 pound tumbler arriving next week, and after much help from Terry and Mark have 100kg of ss media sourced locally.

Currently use the rcbs tumbler but its a little slow and case number restrictive.

Thanks to the two of you again for assistance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hummer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bullet seating force seating bullets is nice for the feel but the most important thing to achieve is consistant bullet PULL tension and this is rather interesting to measure.
Bullet pull can be anywhere from a couple of pounds and in excess of 300 lbs and still be in spec. Obviously if you have a bullet pull of 10 lbs on one shot and 300 lbs on next shot isn't the best combination for long range accuracy.

Turbo54, where did you get your lanolin? </div></div>

Amazon.com! If you search for pure liquid lanolin, you'll find it. I think I gave $6 shipped for a 4oz bottle, which went great with a 16oz bottle of 99% isopropyl alcohol. I even bought a $1 spray bottle from walmart/meijer to apply to those cases needing FLS. I've done 1000 IVI headstamp (known to be THE most demanding) 7.62 NATO pieces with it and could probably do 10k more, easy. I pour a little bit into a beer bottle cap and apply to case necks inside and out with a qtip. A bottle cap easily does 40-50 pieces....goes a long
way. Just keep the cap on tight on your solution, and only take it off for as short a time as possible - alcohol is very hygroscopic! If it absorbs too much water, the lanolin falls out of solution.

Hi
Tumbler arrived this morning very good results on brass.but after a load of 150 .223 norma cases I could see a lot of brass dust in the bottom of the barrel and inside the lid ? I've read on here that someone had tumbled a .308 case for ages and found no noticeable change in weight,any one tried this , that would like to post weights ?
Looking at the amount of dust I would say you would see a difference in weight.whether or not its enough to matter or worry about I don't know ?

WOW! I did a batch of once fired (already tumbled for 4 hours) brass and it came out sparkly. Will take another set of pics during he daytime. 3 hour tumble in the SS and it came out awesome!

So I made myself an ammo can drying box. Working great. 40 308 cases dry to the bone in 45 minutes!

1304217578.jpg

1304217581.jpg

1304217579.jpg

I rationalized that fans like to suck, not blow - think radiator fan in your car... I mounted a 4" AC fan to the underside of my lid, blowing vent air out the top. Fresh dry air is sucked in through some vent holes down below the cases. That air is heated by a 100 Watt "rough use" incandescent lightbulb, then drawn by the cases and then expelled out the top - of course, heat rises. I also lined the inside of the can with aluminum foil to stop the can from absorbing the radiant heat - the OD green will suck up a lot of radiation and doesn't re-radiate well, so the foil makes more efficient use of the available heat energy.

I bought a "temporary use" light socket that allows your wires to pass through, which I used to power my fan. The socket claims 600W, 230V....which seems like an exaggeration, but if it makes those claims, I think it oughtta handle the 100W I'm putting through it. Don't forget to buy a grommet to run your power cord through! A drilled piece of sheet steel would just love to eat through the insulation of your cord and cause a dead short....sparks and fire aren't good, ESPESCIALLY when you've got 100k + primers and 50lbs of varios propellants in the room!

The fan is mounted using 6-32 machine screws, and is sealed to the lid with RTV. I drilled a circular array of 5/8" holes in the lid of the can for the fan to exhaust through. I used 1/4-20x2" hex bolts installed through the sides of the can as perches to set my wire mesh brass platform on. There are 3 in each side and 1 through each end. I had a roll of fairly light duty wire mesh from Lowes.laying around, so I cut a 22"x11" piece, then folded it in half to give 11"x11", then again to give 11"x5.5", which fits inside the can nicely.

Parts list:

50 cal ammo can.....$10
1/2" rubber grommet.....$.05
4" AC fan from radio shack.....$26
4 6-32x2" machine screws and nuts.....$1
8 1/4-20 hex head bolts and nuts......$1.25
Temporary use light socket......$2.50
Rough use 100W lightbulb.....$3.50
Electrical outlet plug.....$1.50
10ft 16-2 lamp cord.....$4
2 orange wire nuts.....$.25
22"x11" wire mesh.....$5
RTV dealer.....$2.50
Aluminum foil.....$ 2

Total.....$60.05

Looks good! I built one just like that awhile back for a friend. Forgot to take photos of it before I gave it to him.
Top mounted the the axial fan with 10-1/2" diameter holes in the lid. Drilled 6-1/2" holes in the bottom of the can.

He says it works great.

Terry

This afternoon I bought a roll of Nashua aluminum foil tape to line the insides of the can. Also drilled out the vent holes in the bottom from 3/8" to 1/2" because a cigarette-smoke test revealed I had some reversion at the exhaust due to insufficient supply of fresh air. Then I zip tied the wiring to neaten up the whole affair. Kinda spendy at $60ish, but I need it. Without it, it takes days to totally dry brass. If you've got a fancy convection - oven, its the same thing as this. Trouble with a standard oven is the only airflow you get is caused by natural convection due to the buoyancy differences between cool and warm air. This design actively exhausts the warm, moist air.

This drying box is the SHIZNIT!! I can't believe how well its working! I've cleaned and dried over 1000 pcs of brass today. Ran 200 pcs of 308, then a mixed batch of 308, 30-06, and 45. Then a big batch of 45, then a second. The box had 300ish pcs of 45, 30-40 308 and 50-60 30-06 dry (towel dried first) in a little over an hour. Air drying had been taking days here in damp, cool michigan. Electicity here is $.13kW-hr, so I future it costs about 2 cents to thoroughly dry a batch with this.

Before and after on some really nasty cases with stainless steel...

dirty.jpg

soaked in hotwater and lemishine for 20 minutes...

rinsed.jpg

Tumbled with hot water, dawn and lemishine...

tumbled.jpg

Damn Buck!!! Where the hell did you did that brass up?? Normady Beach? LOL! Looks good! Everyone has to do one bad batch just to see!

Thanks for posting the picts! Still love seeing results guys are getting!

Poll Results as of 5/2/2011 @ 10:00pm EST.

5-2-2011poll.jpg

Terry

Heres my before and after along with my dryer.

2 tablespoons of Dawn
1/4 teaspoon Lemi-Shine
5# SS media from Mark
Water filled to 1.5" from the top

Once fired 223 brass
5681906713_8df643717c_z.jpg

After a 4 hour tumble
5683252760_f26c5ec338_z.jpg

Dryer
5681912117_ac9af0d415_z.jpg

5681910013_0a92ab2703_z.jpg

Parts for dryer.

5 gallon bucket with lid $6 @ Home Depot
8 1/4" 2" long screws/nuts and washers $2 @ Walmart
120mm AC fan $10 @ EBAY
Light socket $5 @ Walmart
4pack 90W light bulbs $1.50 @ Walmart
3x5 sheet of chicken wire $10 @ Home Depot
2x power cables (taken off old throw away electronics) Free
4x 9mm cases to raise up the fan Free

Total $34.50

Brass is bone dry after 45 minutes

Setup my lortone C40 40pound last night.
Cleaned 400 cases in just over 4 hours.
Drum was not even a third full.
Will try 700 cases next.

Now to upside all my containers....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlliedArmory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dryer
5681912117_ac9af0d415_z.jpg
</div></div>

I like that! May have to try one like this myself.

Page 17 of the Thread has a nice 6 gallon garbage can conversion for a drying box.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn Buck!!! Where the hell did you did that brass up?? Normady Beach? LOL! Looks good! Everyone has to do one bad batch just to see!

5-2-2011poll.jpg

Terry </div></div>

LOL! I can't pass up free brass!

In the past this would have been sent to the scrap bucket, but the stainless just does an awesome job on even the worst brass...

Terry, I have to thank you for posting the info on this, it was definately a very worthwhile upgrade!

Thanks again!
Dave

I have a Model B (regular speed) and am having some discoloration on my once fired brass. See pic below.

Do I just need to tumble longer or am I doing something wrong? The brass which I previously tumbled in corn cobb then threw in the SS came out great.

I use 2 tablespoons of Dawn & 1/4 teaspoon Lemi-Shine with a 4 hour tumble.
5689904540_0dd6f1e1c7_b.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buck_Naked</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn Buck!!! Where the hell did you did that brass up?? Normady Beach? LOL! Looks good! Everyone has to do one bad batch just to see!

5-2-2011poll.jpg

Terry </div></div>

In the past this would have been sent to the scrap bucket, but the stainless just does an awesome job on even the worst brass...

Terry, I have to thank you for posting the info on this, it was definately a very worthwhile upgrade!

Thanks again!
Dave </div></div>

I have a 5 gallon pail of brass exactly like that.
It was fired then it got snowed on.
But the limited market up here doen't make worth while to clean up.
I picked up 6,5 gallon pail's of 40 cal last summer and still have some left.
The once fired 223 Win stuff hasn't sold at all, so at $1.80 a lb. it'll probably all go to the scrapper's.
Anyone know what 1000 223 brass weigh?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlliedArmory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Model B (regular speed) and am having some discoloration on my once fired brass. See pic below.

Do I just need to tumble longer or am I doing something wrong? The brass which I previously tumbled in corn cobb then threw in the SS came out great.

</div></div>
Looks like too much soap and not enough rinse, then left wet.
Try less soap, rinsing more, then rolling in a towel.
Borg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buck_Naked</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn Buck!!! Where the hell did you did that brass up?? Normady Beach? LOL! Looks good! Everyone has to do one bad batch just to see!

5-2-2011poll.jpg

Terry </div></div>

Thanks again!
Dave </div></div>

I have a 5 gallon pail of brass exactly like that.
It was fired then it got snowed on.
But the limited market up here doen't make worth while to clean up.
I picked up 6,5 gallon pail's of 40 cal last summer and still have some left.
The once fired 223 Win stuff hasn't sold at all, so at $1.80 a lb. it'll probably all go to the scrapper's.
Anyone know what 1000 223 brass weigh? </div></div>

My 200 223 cases uncapped came in at 2.44 lbs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Borg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlliedArmory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Model B (regular speed) and am having some discoloration on my once fired brass. See pic below.

</div></div>
Looks like too much soap and not enough rinse, then left wet.
Try less soap, rinsing more, then rolling in a towel.
Borg </div></div>

Thanks for the reply. Trying it right now.

okay here is what not to do/use
do not put Flitz polish in with your Lemishine and soap!
I did just to try and see if I could go one better. Not a good result.
When I opened the tumbler everything was Black. When I put my hand in to check the brass it came out covered in black grime. It took a lot I mean a lot of rising to get the water clear. I then had to tumble 3x with rinses to get everything clean. What a pain! The brass is good and shiny now but I am throwing the Flitz in the trash.
T

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rover31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">okay here is what not to do/use
do not put Flitz polish in with your Lemishine and soap!
I did just to try and see if I could go one better. Not a good result.
When I opened the tumbler everything was Black. When I put my hand in to check the brass it came out covered in black grime. It took a lot I mean a lot of rising to get the water clear. I then had to tumble 3x with rinses to get everything clean. What a pain! The brass is good and shiny now but I am throwing the Flitz in the trash.
T </div></div>

Isn't flitz solvent/petroleum based?
Don't throw it out,set it aside for another project.

Also, Murphy's Oil Soap has been reported as a big NO NO.

Terry

New Poll Results as of 5/6/2011 @ 4:30pm EST.

5-6-2011poll.jpg

How does Flitz solvent differ from Flitz paste? the blue stuff?

I have a couple of tubes of it and I know the bench rest boys love it to go on patches but never heard of a solvent?????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hummer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does Flitz solvent differ from Flitz paste? the blue stuff?

I have a couple of tubes of it and I know the bench rest boys love it to go on patches but never heard of a solvent????? </div></div>

Is flitz a petrolium based polish?
ANYTHING petrolium based won't work with SS media.
Oil and water don't mix,right?

Here are a few more before and after pics. Picked up a few LC 02 Nickel 223 cases at the range and had to give them a cleaning.

Range pickup brass
5698416125_ac0838c4c6_z.jpg

5698989382_8c050c80d9_z.jpg

After a 4 hour tumble
5698995692_454cd86ce0_z.jpg

5698426291_99c80a592a_z.jpg

Folks:

I'm looking for the stainless supplier.

Interesting bit of history: I've been using a Thumbler's tumbler for more than a decade, but with corn/walnut. When I bought the tumbler, (as part of a complete setup, including Dillon 550, brass, bullets, powder, bench), the fellow was using a wet process, with a proprietary (citric acid based) cleaner and bb's for the media. I wasn't impressed by the look of the brass, especially since the wet process is messier, (more of a pain).

Thanks!

=Marcel

Marcel:

The SS media is a WET PROCESS. It uses approx 1 gallon of water, 1oz of Ivory dish soap, and approx a teaaspoon of Lemi shine.

Terry

Are all new model B tumblers high speed or is that a more expensive option? Didn't see anything on the Thumler website.

One more question...does anyone use a case tumbler for any other reason after they've tumbled their brass with a Thumbler? Just curious if I should give mine to a friend after ordering a Thumbler.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: afkbrad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are all new model B tumblers high speed or is that a more expensive option? Didn't see anything on the Thumler website. </div></div>

I don't believe its an added cost option.