• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

Re: Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

264 shooter look back at page 38 at a post I made regarding Anti-vibration about half way down that page. There replace the wing nuts and washer. The only way to go as far as I am concerned.

Terry

Late to the party, but have my first batch running now. 4 hours is a long time when you are waiting to see how it comes out lol.

Just for people still thinking of making the leap, a question has been asked a couple of times in the last 40 pages with some very different answers. The loudness of the tumbler was questioned. I can say for a FACT the tumbler is not just a little quiter than my vibratory Frankford Arsenal machine, it is A LOT QUIETER! It is running now and I can't hear it from the next room. I also can hear the radio in the same room and took a phone call in the same room with the tumbler running. No way in heck I could do that with the Frankford arsenal machine.

this is for a Thumblers tumbler like the majority of people seem to be using with the 3000 RPM motor.

Oh, and Mcfeely's is running the $1 shipping again today 9-23-11. Got the new anti-vibe nuts and a couple extra for about $7 shipped. Can't beat that with a stick.

just my 2 cents,
madd0c

New Poll Results as of 9/23/2011 at 8:30pm EST.

9-23-11poll.jpg

Terry

I'm very happy with the results from the SS media. The best part about it to me is how clean the inside of the cases get for more consistency when reloading.

Had to run em twice. Guess it was either the new media, or I didn;t use enough lemonshine first time. they came out with the outsides looking great, but still with carbon in primer pockets and inside. I redid them with3/4 tsp lemishine instead of 1/4. Maybe I have harder water than I thought. Anyway the second time through did the trick. Unbelievably clean inside and out. I am a convert.

madd0c

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: madd0c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had to run em twice. Guess it was either the new media, or I didn;t use enough lemonshine first time. they came out with the outsides looking great, but still with carbon in primer pockets and inside. I redid them with3/4 tsp lemishine instead of 1/4. Maybe I have harder water than I thought. Anyway the second time through did the trick. Unbelievably clean inside and out. I am a convert.

madd0c </div></div>

It's that priming compound.
I've run A LOT since getting my set up,and with particular make's of brass the carbon it's a bitch to get out.
But the way I look at it if I was still using my Lyman Vibratory system the carbon would be a lot worse!

To revise a couple comments I made on the previous page - After running a couple thousand .308 cases and another 1500 .223 cases, I've been getting maybe one case per batch in .223 with media stuck in the primer hole.

With .308, I get maybe 4-5 per batch but only in Win and Black Hills brass (made by Win). In LC or any other brass, I rarely have any stuck in the flash hole. Must be something to do with the size of the flash hole in Win brass.

Unless the brass is extremely corroded, I have been slowly increasing the number of cases per batch. In .308, I've gone from 80-100 to closer to 160 with no probs and clean brass in and out.

I have been reading the information on the Stainless Steel media with great interest. The befor and after photographs in the prior 40 pages of this thread are impressive. I "need" to get set up with this system. The consolidated summary by Moonman om p.39 is an excellent time saver!

Suasponte, please PM me the contact information for Mike and the ss media.

Thanks,
TooFarGone

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TooFarGone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Suasponte, please PM me the contact information for Mike and the ss media.

Thanks,
TooFarGone </div></div>

PM Snet

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New Poll Results as of 9/23/2011 at 8:30pm EST.

9-23-11poll.jpg

Terry </div></div>

really want to know these 54 people.....

I've run several thousand rounds through my tumbler since trying the SS media and decided to give it another torture test. I found a box of mostly old .308 LC brass dating back into the late 60's in my garage. I have no idea how long it's been there but I'm guessing at least 25 years. In addition to the obvious corrosion on some pieces, the colors of the brass was very odd. Silver, greenish, gray - colors I've never seen on brass before. This picture doesn't really show how odd the colors were:
138568336.jpg

To make it a harder test, I put about 250 cases in the tumbler - almost half full. I offset the extra weight by adding less water than usual, with the water level about 1.5" below the top. Everything else was just the usual process - LemiShine and Dawn running for 4 hours. I ran two loads like this and here are the results:
138568250.jpg

After sorting the brass, I didn't find one that still had any visible corrosion. I've seen some guys claiming that their new ultrasonic cleaners can match the SS, but I dare them to try something like this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OldTex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

After sorting the brass, I didn't find one that still had any visible corrosion. I've seen some guys claiming that their new ultrasonic cleaners can match the SS, but I dare them to try something like this. </div></div>

I second that

I have now run multiple batches through my tumbler and could not be any happier. I'm still fairly new to reloading and I'm glad I found this. I had been researching vibratory tumblers and must say this is way easier than all that. VERY easy to set up and use.

I was at my buddies house this past weekend and he still uses the vibratory + corncob method. He had been letting his brass tumble for almost 7 hours. He pulled them out of the tumbler and said he was "mostly pleased" with the results. And thats when I said "HA!!".

Once you go SSM, you never go back haha IMHO this is the new standard for brass cleaning, especially for someone as OCD about his reloading gear as I am.

Thanks so much Terry! You and your thread got me hooked on this!

I emailed Mike about the SS media this afternoon and got a reply back this evening. I will probably order 10 lbs of so later this week. Now to get the tumbler ordered. Looking for once fired LC 308 Match brass...

TooFarGone

This stuff works! Here is my tumbler I made,it has a 8 gallon tub. It holds 35# of pellets.

photo1.jpg

This is about 1400 rounds

photo2.jpg

and this is how they look after

photo.jpg

Jeremy,
Very nice. I am working on a similar tumbler. What are you using for your 8 gallon tub?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nwsnowbum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jeremy,
Very nice. I am working on a similar tumbler. What are you using for your 8 gallon tub? </div></div>

It's the TL-6 barrel from this place.

http://www.candmtopline.com/tumbling_barrels.html

Nice Workmanship!! One of the better home made tumblers I have seen.
What was your build cost?

Terry

Right around 500 or so I think, I don't really remember. It's built like a tank though. It should last forever.

Well I figured I'd post on here since I recently tried the stainless media and thumblers tumbler. I still can't believe how well this stuff works. I was telling a few guys at work and they didn't believe me so the one guy said he would bring some of his oldest brass in to see what it would do. Well, it passed the test lol...the brass was old with green spots before and looked as if it were brand new after. If you haven't tried this yet, you need to!!

ALan

Alan:

Look back at page 14 of the thread, Palmik posted some really nasty brass. Have had lots of guys send pictures of brass that was green from laying in the rain and sun for months that looked almost new after tumbling with the SS media.

Lots of converts out there now.

Terry

My first test run: pre cleaning .45's shoot several times with Titegroup, which stains the brass pretty bad. Brass is still dented and with old primers.
- 3.5h in a Model B with Ajax and Lemmi Shine, looks great!

I will stick with this - Ultra sonic is messy with the swap of liquids and small cups per batch.

SSM-Brass.JPG

Nice Picture!

Here is a little trick I learned for you guys that anneal your brass as well. I put the brass in the tumbler with media, and water over night. Don't put any lemishine in with it at this time. The next mourning the brass has a tarnished look to them. Then I tumble for 2 hours with soap and no lemishine. The brass gets clean but still has that tarnished look to them. I take the brass out and right to the Bench-source annealing machine. Doing this dries the brass before resizing, and gives the brass that really nice Lapua looking annealing band. This really helps to judge your heat. After annealing I go right to resizing. That way I don't have to worry about getting my dies wet. After resizing the brass goes back into the tumbler with fresh warm water, Dawn, and lemishine. Set the timer for 10min. Brass comes open nice and shiny ready for reloading. Running the brass for only 10min almost removes all of the annealing marks.

This picture does not do justice to the nice color the annealer leaves. You can still see slight marks on the loaded brass.
M1510001.jpg

Just testing also to make sure I have the right temp.
M1510007.jpg

Annealed brass after the 10 min tumble to get the sizing lube off.
M1510008.jpg

Thanks Skyking. I was wondering how long it would take to get the annealing marks off. I was planning on just annealing before I did any SS cleaning but I can see how it helps gauge your heat.

I have been toweling off my brass and then giving it about an hour in the oven at the lowest setting to dry it. After several thousand rifle cases I tried some pistol brass. The rifle brass stays nice and shiny but the pistol brass (several brands and calibers) darkens noticeably during the oven drying. Air drying does not cause the darker color. Not a big deal but I've been wondering what causes the difference. Possibly different brass formulations for lower pressure pistols?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OldTex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Skyking. I was wondering how long it would take to get the annealing marks off. I was planning on just annealing before I did any SS cleaning but I can see how it helps gauge your heat.

I have been toweling off my brass and then giving it about an hour in the oven at the lowest setting to dry it. After several thousand rifle cases I tried some pistol brass. The rifle brass stays nice and shiny but the pistol brass (several brands and calibers) darkens noticeably during the oven drying. Air drying does not cause the darker color. Not a big deal but I've been wondering what causes the difference. Possibly different brass formulations for lower pressure pistols? </div></div>

Save on your electricity bill's and get yourself some rubbing alcohol,99% proof.
I didn't really believe it till I tried it.
On a hot summer day I dumped them all in a coffee can poured the alcohol over them and swished them around.
I just reached in and grabbed them by the handful and shook them off and put them on an old towel in full sun.
Buy the time I had poured the alcohol back into it's container,put it away and came back they were all dried.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InTraining</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All right, I'm ready to jump in, suasponte please send me the contact information. Thanks, Darin. </div></div>

Pm sent!

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">really want to know these 54 people..... </div></div>
As the saying goes, "Haters gonna hate"...these 54 people obviously have NOT tried it and just voted. There is NO POSSIBLE WAY that other methods listed gives you BETTER results (I have tried all three methods myself). The ONLY way they could have gotten worse results is if they somehow screwed up (tip: don't add a tin of black shoe shine to your tumbler!)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nimoz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Ultra sonic is messy with the swap of liquids and small cups per batch.</div></div>
Yeah, I have to strongly agree. I already had Crest ultrasonic cleaner (for cleaning gun parts) and bought some beakers to clean brass with...what a complete waste of time/money that was. Just like you said, messy, liquid swap, small cups per batch and the results still were not as good as tumbling with stainless media.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OldTex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've seen some guys claiming that their new ultrasonic cleaners can match the SS, but I dare them to try something like this.</div></div>
They're full of it. I did ultrasonic for a while and I NEVER got results this good and the # of cases I can do with very little babysitting just anchors ultrasonic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ClintB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please send me the contact information.
Thanks, Terry
</div></div>

Just google them. They have a site you can order off of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DamnYuppie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ClintB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please send me the contact information.
Thanks, Terry
</div></div>

Just google them. They have a site you can order off of. </div></div>

Not True! If you got contact info from google or any other person other than me(Terry/Suasponte) you did not get Mark's contact info.

If it was not for this thread on Snipers Hide all these others sellers would not have supplied it. They have all jumped on the band wagon. Mark was the one that started this and my post in the Media for Tumbling thread is what started all of this.

NOT STM! NOT BUFFALO ARMS! NOT SINCLAIR! Sniper's Hide is where this SS Media craze originated! Anyone else that stated they came up with it is full of shit!

There are leaders and followers! And always somebody that takes credit they do not deserve!

Terry

ClintB: PM has been Sent!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DamnYuppie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
ClintB said:
Please send me the contact information.
Thanks, Terry
</div></div>

Not True! If you got contact info from google or any other person other than me(Terry/Suasponte) you did not get Mark's contact info.

If it was not for this thread on Snipers Hide all these others sellers would not have supplied it. They have all jumped on the band wagon. Mark was the one that started this and my post in the Media for Tumbling thread is what started all of this.

NOT STM! NOT BUFFALO ARMS! NOT SINCLAIR! Sniper's Hide is where this SS Media craze originated! Anyone else that stated they came up with it is full of shit!

There are leaders and followers! And always somebody that takes credit they do not deserve!

Terry

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
ain't that the truth!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DamnYuppie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ClintB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please send me the contact information.
Thanks, Terry
</div></div>

NOT STM! NOT BUFFALO ARMS! NOT SINCLAIR! Sniper's Hide is where this SS Media craze originated! Anyone else that stated
</div></div>

Can you PM me the contact info please??

I'm wondering if you started the whole idea then why didn't YOU start a business or a place to sell it from and make things easy and convenient for everyone interested??

This seems like a bit of a hassle to have to create an account to find out where to buy the stuff?!

Just curious...

Tumbler and knobs on the way and 10 lbs of media on order from Mark. IMHO Mark is missing out on a wonderful business opportunity but it sounds like he didn't want the hassle. Others have jumped in to fill the void. This could be a big selling system in the years to follow.

I am presently sorting thousands of 5.56 cases. Will the year date stamp on the LC brass be easier to read with clean brass? Plan A was to sort the brass by year/manufacturer, deprime, swage the primer pocket, them tumble. I am going blind trying to read the tiny numbers with a magnifier light on the dirty once fired brass. I would consider Plan B to deprime/swage/tumble, then sort. Recommendations?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TooFarGone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tumbler and knobs on the way and 10 lbs of media on order from Mark. IMHO Mark is missing out on a wonderful business opportunity but it sounds like he didn't want the hassle. Others have jumped in to fill the void. This could be a big selling system in the years to follow.

I am presently sorting thousands of 5.56 cases. Will the year date stamp on the LC brass be easier to read with clean brass? Plan A was to sort the brass by year/manufacturer, deprime, swage the primer pocket, them tumble. I am going blind trying to read the tiny numbers with a magnifier light on the dirty once fired brass. I would consider Plan B to deprime/swage/tumble, then sort. Recommendations?

</div></div>

tumble twice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's the issue with using SS media and a Giraud? I've read peening of the lips. </div></div>

Peening of the mouth occurs with the stainless media alone. The Giraud alone cannot be implicated for the peening. The peening is caused by chamfer/deburring, which thins out the mouth. The Giraud happens to chamfer and debur, so this is why the peening occurs.

Peening happens, because the weight of the cases and media banging together for a few hours causes the mouths to bend inward. You need to chamfer and sometimes trim to clean up the peening. But don't trim if your cases are on the short side. At the very most, just shave a new square surface off the mouth, maybe removing 0.001" at the most. It helps to have cases that are on the longer side, as this gives you room to work with in the event of a really banged up mouth. I notice the most peening with 338 Lapua cases, probably because they are heavy and have big mouths.

I don't think you can outright avoid peening with stainless media, but you can keep it somewhat under control by minding your chamferring. Try not to leave a sharp mouth. In any case, although peening may be a concern to most, in my opinion, it is not a deal breaker for using stainless media. If you are serious enough about reloading to want clean cases, then you will already be taking the time to ensure that you have square case mouths without peening or funneling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SingleShot85</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TooFarGone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tumbler and knobs on the way and 10 lbs of media on order from Mark. IMHO Mark is missing out on a wonderful business opportunity but it sounds like he didn't want the hassle. Others have jumped in to fill the void. This could be a big selling system in the years to follow.

</div></div>

tumble twice</div></div>

Sort after you tumble. Dates should be easier to read. You will really see what clean brass looks like after your first tumble.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DamnYuppie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ClintB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please send me the contact information.
Thanks, Terry
</div></div>

Terry

ClintB: PM has been Sent!</div></div>

I can vouch for that. I remember when this topic was started, right around the time I ordered from Mark. Mark is the pioneer.

TooFarGone said:
Tumbler and knobs on the way and 10 lbs of media on order from Mark. IMHO Mark is missing out on a wonderful business opportunity but it sounds like he didn't want the hassle. Others have jumped in to fill the void. This could be a big selling system in the years to follow.

Get a universal decapping die and decap first.
No sense in tumbling 2 time's.

Those who do not get the chance to talk with Mark are missing out.

Those who have know what I am saying.

He is a true Shooter, Reloader, and has a resume to back it up.

Terry

All these NAY SAYERS probably didn't understood the question or too narrow minded to accept the facts, either they bought the US cleaner and wasted their money or too stubborn to change. Is the SSM a must have? It depends to the person's preference really. Yes, it is 3x more expensive than a vibratory tumbler. But the question is, does it clean the brass faster and cleaner than the US cleaner? You bet your ass!

I haven't read the entire post yet (7th page) but am I the only one that uses an air compressor to quick dry the brass? I also use the walnut media to dry em out but only at night because the compressor gets really loud when it's on.