• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

Re: Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

I've done 3 loads now that did not turn brown! They all came out looking nice, and after only 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Also, I cut the LemiShine from a full 9mm to a half. But, I also use the coffee can instead of the big Thumbler. Each time I wrote down everything I did so that I could look for differences if it failed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got the photo from SS Media convert and thought I would share it. The left is a tumble with a normal 9mm case of Lemishine. Right is too much Lemishine. He said the cases actually looked like copper. He said that he had lost his measure and just dumped it in.</div></div>

Over the course of learning to use the SS media, I've had a few cases that had pink splotches on them. I figured from the LemiShine eating at them too much.

Terry, would you please PM me the SS media source too!

Do you guys just use the same Lemishine that you can buy at Walmart?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terry, would you please PM me the SS media source too!

Do you guys just use the same Lemishine that you can buy at Walmart? </div></div>

PM Sent!

Yes, the Wal-Mart Lemishine is what everyone is using.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: recce556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">really want to know these 54 people..... </div></div>
As the saying goes, "Haters gonna hate"...these 54 people obviously have NOT tried it and just voted. There is NO POSSIBLE WAY that other methods listed gives you BETTER results (I have tried all three methods myself). The ONLY way they could have gotten worse results is if they somehow screwed up (tip: don't add a tin of black shoe shine to your tumbler!) </div></div>

That assumption would be incorrect. I was doing this with angle cut ceramic media, ceramic beads and used primers long before anyone started selling this stuff and was one of the first people to buy it when it did showed up. I posted severalthreads about it. Does it get the cases cleaner and shinier than other methods? Sure.

However, when I consider the overall time spend removing the burr left by that peeing and headaches it causes in a tighter match chambers, it simply isn't worth it. The little bit of extra clean isn't worth the hassle caused by the peeing. Yes, that burr can be removed by trimming shorter, but that only works once unless you want to keep hacking down your brass. Every time you clean with this media, the cases get shorter on their own. Its actually nice if you have a chamber that is loose enough to tolerate the burr because you never have to trim your brass. Great in my Lee Enfield, but in my precision guns those burrs cause fits and have been a PITA to remove. I can see the effects of them not only in velocities and on paper, but in the pressure traces I take with my RSI system. Every time I get a little spike in velocity or pressure, if I take the fired case and try to drop a bullet into it, I can feel the friction of the remaining burr still grasping the bullet. This causes HUGE variations in neck tension. It's basically a donut at the case mouth. It prevents a clean release of the bullet and chamferring doesn't always get it all.

Sure the US system doesn't polish the scratches out of the cases, but I can polish them in the regular tumbler every few firings if I want to and then clean the dust out in the US. That new Hornady solution is amazing. It only takes 15 min to get the cases completely clean using it in the US (Branson 2510), even less if I clean the primer pockets quickly with a uniforming tool (which takes far less time than removing the burr). For pistol brass, I've just been putting it in the tumbler with the Hornady solution, but without the SS media. Gets just as clean on the outside and nearly as clean and polished on the inside without the hassle of having to separate the media out. Doesn't need to be shiny clean on the inside for pistol rounds. I don't bother deprimming the cases either, it also isn't necessary for pistol rounds.

The only thing I use this stuff for anymore is polishing bullet that I've swaged. Never use it for cases anymore, and believe me, it isn't because of lack of experience using it. If this stuff works with your chamber, then great! But don't assume that it's all unicorns and rainbows with every gun out there because it isn't. </div></div>

I had an unpleasant experience with the SS method about a month ago. The same thing you mentioned with the peening of the lips on the mouth of the brass.

I have a tight neck chamber,and fitted dies. Although I had used the SS method before with this brass I had always trimmed out of habit. But on this particular 50 reloads I didn't bother to trim. I noticed that the seating tension was much more than usual. I thought no biggy it won't hurt accuracy much. Wrong!! The groups were poor compared to normal and vertical at distance was 3 times more than what was typical. It seemed like the pressures were higher creating more velocity too,because I was hitting a little higher.

For pistol I think the SS method works excellent. I shoot lead bullets mostly and bell the brass anyways so I don't care if the lips are dinged up. Then by the time I crimp,the cases are pretty much back to normal. I don't plan on shooting the Bianchi cup or any precision pistol events so I'm happy as is.

Previously before I tried the SS method I used a Ultra sonic(US). My US has never worked the greatest. I had to US the cases for hours not minutes. They weren't shiny and I didn't want to get corncob media dust on them so I didn't use the vibratory cleaner to shine them up then have to rinse them again.

Today I decided to experiment with both the US and the SS method combined. I filled a large beaker with the cases primer pockets up and use a teaspoon of citranox. Then run it for a 1/2 hour in the US. It gets the cases about 70% clean and loosens up the carbon. I get another batch going in the US while I load up the Thumblers Tumbler with the brass I just US'd. I use all 5 lbs SS,put the Dawn and Lemishine in and fill the water almost to the top. Run this for 35-40 minutes. The cases come out clean and shiny as if I ran the TT for 4 hours except the lips of the brass are barely dinged. I can drag my finger nail across the lips inside and out and can't feel a edge like I used to when running the TT for 4 hours. The cases lengths measure the same as when I put them into the TT. I think the extra water and short run time is easier on the lips of the brass and this combined method goes faster,almost too fast actually.

I'll let you guys know how they shoot trimmed and untrimmed in a week or two.

I had a few guys tell me they got the Hornady ultrasonic cleaner with the One Shot Sonic cleaner, and where not happy with the results. They found that if they would mix up a gallon of water with the One Shot cleaner, and drop there brass in there four a few hour before tumbling with SS media. It cut there tumble times down to 30-40 mins. Just a thought for those of you that have the One Shot Sonic cleaner. I may have to get some and try this. My tumble times are one hour now.

Terry,
I've been away from the Forum for a bit. Please extend my condolences to Mark about his dog. He's a Great Guy, we met after Camp Perry at a Flea Market in Ohio.

This is great info, I noticed some issues with the lip of my cases and thought my chamfering tool was bad. That may not be the case apparently. I do love my tumble though and will not go back to prepping brass any other way....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got the photo from SS Media convert and thought I would share it. The left is a tumble with a normal 9mm case of Lemishine. Right is too much Lemishine. He said the cases actually looked like copper. He said that he had lost his measure and just dumped it in.

CopperCases.jpg

</div></div>

Cartridge brass is composed of 70% copper and 30% zinc. I believe the extra Lemishine etched or leached the zinc from the surface of his brass leaving the copper exposed.

I have been using a 1/8tsp of Lemishine with great results! I have also been not tumbling with Lemishine when I plan on annealing, this has allowed me to see the color change in the brass.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rcpilot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would you please PM me the SS media source too.

Thanks,

A.J. </div></div>

Pm sent!

Terry

New poll results as of 11/26/2011 @ 10:30am EST

11-26-2011poll.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JR..</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would you please PM me the SS media source also

I thank you in advance for your help

J </div></div>

PM sent for Marks contact info.

Terry

Have anyone tried to use media for other materials?
They use stainless media (among other medias) in industrial mirror polishing as well.

Would try it by myself, its just ordering heavy stuff overseas is way too costy if its not going to work.

Thanks for any input. Or if someone could try some aluminium part (such as handle or other small casted part) for me, I would be mighty thankful.

Terry, would you PM me Marks contact info for the media?

Thanks!

I just got my SS media from Mark. He is a great guy to buy from and shipped it out to me FAST !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpeedyR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terry, would you PM me Marks contact info for the media?

Thanks!

</div></div>

PM Sent!

Terry

New Poll Results as of 12/4/2011 @ 5:00pm EST

12-4-2011poll.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turbo_Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terry, could you PM me Marks contact info for the media?

Thanks!

Andrew </div></div>

Yes, PM Sent for Info!

Terry

New Poll results as of 12/7/2011 @ 10:30pm EST

12-7-2011poll.jpg

Would appreciate the contact for the stainless media. I plan to test it with .17 Remington Fireball. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tatco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would appreciate the contact for the stainless media. I plan to test it with .17 Remington Fireball. Thanks. </div></div>

PM has been sent for Marks contact info.

Terry

The guys at STM are fantastic; not sure if that is where Mark is from but if not, check out the hide sponsor StainlessTumblingMedia.com as well.

My experience with them, Cory (skyking) in particular, has been excellent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trapper G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terry, please send me the information to contact Mark about the s/s media.
Thanks </div></div>

Pm Sent! Terry

Just out of interest has anyone experimented with a pre-soak in order to reduce tumble time? I'm around 4 hours to get the primer pockets clean and would like to get that down a bit. Tried loading up the tumbler overnight and then tumbling in the morning, it still took 4 hours.

Was going to try Birchwood Casey case cleaner as a pre soak next, has anyone tried this already?

I can tumble 100 300 win mag case for two hours and have the primer pockets perfectly fine for priming.

Here's a down and dirty drying rack made from the lapua box inserts you get with 100 round boxes of lapua brass. This is 300 win mag which is held perfectly over a 12 inch fan recessed into a plastic parts bin. You can tap most of the water out and then when over the fan for about an hour, they are good to go for annealing (which dries the rest of it out, assuming any moisture remains.)

Another use I've found for the case organizer inserts found in lapua brass plastic boxes: when you put them back in the lapua box, they go down about 1/3rd of the way. When you put .308 and 6.5 brass in there, just a little more than the neck will be revealed and the rest of the cases are below the organizer. This works really well for spraying one shot sizing lube just on the necks for when doing neck sizing. The cases are much less goo'd up from lube.

24m6tk1.jpg

I would also love contact information on obtaining stainless steel media. I reload for 5.56/6.8/30.06/.308 and .45

After trying vibratory, the ultrasonic both methods leave a lot to be desired in outcomes, level of effort and time. Picking my Thumler Type B up on Friday!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rick Just Rick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would also love contact information on obtaining stainless steel media. I reload for 5.56/6.8/30.06/.308 and .45

After trying vibratory, the ultrasonic both methods leave a lot to be desired in outcomes, level of effort and time. Picking my Thumler Type B up on Friday! </div></div>

PM Sent!

Terry

New Poll Results as of 12/14/2011 @ 5:30pm EST

12-14-2011poll.jpg

The greatest thing about Stainless is no longer having to clean primer pockets. I decap all my brass prior to cleaning. One of the best time savers that I added to my reloading.

Recently added a Possum Hollow Quick case trimmer (I know its not a Giraud or Gracey) and wow time spent preping vs time shooting is deffinitely in favor of time shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: recce556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">really want to know these 54 people..... </div></div>
As the saying goes, "Haters gonna hate"...these 54 people obviously have NOT tried it and just voted. There is NO POSSIBLE WAY that other methods listed gives you BETTER results (I have tried all three methods myself). The ONLY way they could have gotten worse results is if they somehow screwed up (tip: don't add a tin of black shoe shine to your tumbler!) </div></div>

That assumption would be incorrect. I was doing this with angle cut ceramic media, ceramic beads and used primers long before anyone started selling this stuff and was one of the first people to buy it when it did showed up. I posted severalthreads about it. Does it get the cases cleaner and shinier than other methods? Sure.

However, when I consider the overall time spend removing the burr left by that peeing and headaches it causes in a tighter match chambers, it simply isn't worth it. The little bit of extra clean isn't worth the hassle caused by the peeing. Yes, that burr can be removed by trimming shorter, but that only works once unless you want to keep hacking down your brass. Every time you clean with this media, the cases get shorter on their own. Its actually nice if you have a chamber that is loose enough to tolerate the burr because you never have to trim your brass. Great in my Lee Enfield, but in my precision guns those burrs cause fits and have been a PITA to remove. I can see the effects of them not only in velocities and on paper, but in the pressure traces I take with my RSI system. Every time I get a little spike in velocity or pressure, if I take the fired case and try to drop a bullet into it, I can feel the friction of the remaining burr still grasping the bullet. This causes HUGE variations in neck tension. It's basically a donut at the case mouth. It prevents a clean release of the bullet and chamferring doesn't always get it all.

Sure the US system doesn't polish the scratches out of the cases, but I can polish them in the regular tumbler every few firings if I want to and then clean the dust out in the US. That new Hornady solution is amazing. It only takes 15 min to get the cases completely clean using it in the US (Branson 2510), even less if I clean the primer pockets quickly with a uniforming tool (which takes far less time than removing the burr). For pistol brass, I've just been putting it in the tumbler with the Hornady solution, but without the SS media. Gets just as clean on the outside and nearly as clean and polished on the inside without the hassle of having to separate the media out. Doesn't need to be shiny clean on the inside for pistol rounds. I don't bother deprimming the cases either, it also isn't necessary for pistol rounds.

The only thing I use this stuff for anymore is polishing bullet that I've swaged. Never use it for cases anymore, and believe me, it isn't because of lack of experience using it. If this stuff works with your chamber, then great! But don't assume that it's all unicorns and rainbows with every gun out there because it isn't. </div></div>

I had an unpleasant experience with the SS method about a month ago. The same thing you mentioned with the peening of the lips on the mouth of the brass.

I have a tight neck chamber,and fitted dies. Although I had used the SS method before with this brass I had always trimmed out of habit. But on this particular 50 reloads I didn't bother to trim. I noticed that the seating tension was much more than usual. I thought no biggy it won't hurt accuracy much. Wrong!! The groups were poor compared to normal and vertical at distance was 3 times more than what was typical. It seemed like the pressures were higher creating more velocity too,because I was hitting a little higher.

For pistol I think the SS method works excellent. I shoot lead bullets mostly and bell the brass anyways so I don't care if the lips are dinged up. Then by the time I crimp,the cases are pretty much back to normal. I don't plan on shooting the Bianchi cup or any precision pistol events so I'm happy as is.

Previously before I tried the SS method I used a Ultra sonic(US). My US has never worked the greatest. I had to US the cases for hours not minutes. They weren't shiny and I didn't want to get corncob media dust on them so I didn't use the vibratory cleaner to shine them up then have to rinse them again.

Today I decided to experiment with both the US and the SS method combined. I filled a large beaker with the cases primer pockets up and use a teaspoon of citranox. Then run it for a 1/2 hour in the US. It gets the cases about 70% clean and loosens up the carbon. I get another batch going in the US while I load up the Thumblers Tumbler with the brass I just US'd. I use all 5 lbs SS,put the Dawn and Lemishine in and fill the water almost to the top. Run this for 35-40 minutes. The cases come out clean and shiny as if I ran the TT for 4 hours except the lips of the brass are barely dinged. I can drag my finger nail across the lips inside and out and can't feel a edge like I used to when running the TT for 4 hours. The cases lengths measure the same as when I put them into the TT. I think the extra water and short run time is easier on the lips of the brass and this combined method goes faster,almost too fast actually.

I'll let you guys know how they shoot trimmed and untrimmed in a week or two.

</div></div>

Update

Good news. I couldn't determine any difference in accuracy with the new method on a couple different cartridges I reload for. I definitely plan on trimming every other firing so any problems are solved.

Steve, I was actually trying to come up with a maximum tumble time to circumvent the mouth dinging that we have been seeing. I was thinking of using less cases per cycle, but I'm not sure on time yet. I was thinking maybe 1 hr or less?

Been doing it that way since the beginning of the steel media craze. Now I am trying to circumvent the peening

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steve, I was actually trying to come up with a maximum tumble time to circumvent the mouth dinging that we have been seeing. I was thinking of using less cases per cycle, but I'm not sure on time yet. I was thinking maybe 1 hr or less? </div></div>

The problem I'd run into with a shorter run time on the SS cleaning method was some of the cases weren't cleaned all the way on the inside. I am actually using less cases than previously because I'm only cleaning what fits in a large beaker.

Like Skyking mentioned back a while. Soaking in that new Hornady US solution first might be a good idea if someone doesn't have a US.

Also sometimes I get lazy and don't do any type of cleaning at all for a couple firings. If the cases have been fired a couple times I noticed I'd have to up the run times.

I don't understand the "mouth-dinging" you are talking about. I run 100 .308 cases for 4 hours. The cases are 100 % clean on outside and inside and about 95% in the primer pocket. The outside of the cases are smooth and shiny as a baby's butt. There is no roughness around the mouth of the case whatsoever. What kind of media are you using?

Trust us, it is there. It is not "dinging", it is peening. The mouths roll inwards.

I just got some of the BC Case Cleaner and will be trying a pre soak shortly to see if I can reduce overall tumble times.

Wow! I just realized looking at the first page to check the the poll that today is the 2 year anniv of this thread! Unbelievable that this thread has been on the first two pages for two years.
May santa bring you stainless media and clean brass for 2012.

Terry

I tried the SS media for the first time. Used it to clean 14x fired 308 cases. After 4 hours the primer pockets were clean but the case interior walls were still dirty. I tried another 4 hrs and the inside walls were still dirty and so was the water. I tried a 8 hours cycle and two more 4-hr cycles, but the inside wall were still dirty. This may be due to two reasons, cases interior walls were very dirty because of all the firings or I had put in 30 cases over the advised 140 cases (I had put in 170 cases).
(posted this also on 6mmbr.com)

Did you use Lemishine in this cleaning cycle?

Terry

New Poll Results as of 12/22/2011 @ 5:45pm EST (2 year Anniv)

12-22-2011poll.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow! I just realized looking at the first page to check the the poll that today is the 2 year anniv of this thread! Unbelievable that this thread has been on the first two pages for two years.
May santa bring you stainless media and clean brass for 2012.

Terry</div></div>

<span style="color: #3333FF">Congrats for a job well done! </span>
cool.gif

Yes, I used the standards formula...2 tbsp of Dawn, 1/4tsp LemiShine, 1 gallon of water with 170 308 cases and at first 4hrs of tumble then another 16 hrs total.
Have attached images comparing a new case with cleaned case:
December242011
December242011
December242011

I suspect that many of the testimonials posted here are ss cleaned once-fired cases or cases fired a few times. The cases that I tried to cleaned have been fired 14 times and I suspect that the carbon will be exceedingly difficult to totally remove. If someone has removed all the carbon on cases with multiple firings before cleaning with SS media, I would appreciate their input.

So I've been tumbling for 3 days straight trying to find the right formula to get that 24k gold look vs the deep coppery/brass luster.

Some batches come out looking like 24k and others come out looking a deep coppery brass.

Can someone help me understand the science going on here to get the 24k look every time ?

I've tried altering the amount of lemi-shine, water, amount of brass, cold rinse, hot rinse and tumble time but can not seem to nail down a consistent method to produce the same 24k results every time.

Can someone that always gets 24k looking batches please post their exact "recipe" and methods used from beginning to end ?

I've got some LC NATO brass I'd like to tumble but not until I nail down reproducible 24k method.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tedfs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I've been tumbling for 3 days straight trying to find the right formula to get that 24k gold look vs the deep coppery/brass luster.

Some batches come out looking like 24k and others come out looking a deep coppery brass.

Can someone help me understand the science going on here to get the 24k look every time ?

I've tried altering the amount of lemi-shine, water, amount of brass, cold rinse, hot rinse and tumble time but can not seem to nail down a consistent method to produce the same 24k results every time.

Can someone that always gets 24k looking batches please post their exact "recipe" and methods used from beginning to end ?

I've got some LC NATO brass I'd like to tumble but not until I nail down reproducible 24k method. </div></div>

Can't help you with the science, I can imagine differences in water can make a difference to results?

I have started to tumble with dish soap for cleaning (4 hours) without Lemishine (or Rinse Aid), this leaves the cases clean inside and out with a dull lustre rather than the shine. I anneal and then size / trim in this condition then I do a final 10 minute tumble with dish soap and 1/2 tsp Lemishine. Every batch I've tried this way have consistently come out very shiny with no water spots.

We do have rather hard water here but not sure what effect that plays on the end color of the tumbled brass.

I haven't presoaked anything yet but have left tumbled brass sitting in the tumbler for several hours after the timer went off. Didn't pay attention to which batch that was but should have.

The dark coloring seems to set on quicker with higher drying temps but I haven't singled out what needs to change in my mix to remove the dark color all together. Perhaps a more thorough cleaning soak would remove anything that's causing dark coloring... ?

I'm trying to achieve the results on the <span style="text-decoration: underline">left</span> every time by finding the correct formula and methods.

Cases2.jpg

I'm guessing too much LemiShine is causing it and will start at 1/4 tsp and work from there. Was just eyeballing it before, might need to back off on the amount.

Batch on the right will get another 1 -2 hour tumble in the reduced mixture to see if that makes a difference. A better rinse with comfortably warm water will be used as well.

Both batches are perfectly clean, I just find it easier to see inside the case with the lighter color and my bad eyes. Plus spotting defects is easier for me with the lighter color.

Hopefully someone has a set mix to start from. Can't change too much at once on each batch or there will be no way to know what change gives the desired results. It juts take longer doing it that way.

Santa dropped off a kit

also trying out a new camera, lots to learn here

so far i really like this stuff

IMG_7380.jpg

IMG_7383.jpg

IMG_7386.jpg

Looks like I may have been putting too much brass in the batch as well as too much LemiShine.

Took a dark batch of 9mm done by eye and counted 780 cases...
Which is about 1/3 full in the 15 lb drum.

Cut it back to 400 cases with 1/4 teaspoon of LemiShine, 1 1/2 Teaspoons of Dawn, another 2 hour tumble and luke warm rinse. Four hours total tumble time. Batch came out bright like I was looking for.

My next question would be, how does the amount of cases tumbled affect the dried finish of the batch ? I'm trying to understand how each step affects the results to better understand what I'm doing, rather than just guessing. Repeatable results are the goal.