• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

Re: Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone wanting media that will be @ Camp Perry during the long range matches Mark will be there. Just contact me and I will get you his cell number so you can hook up.

Terry </div></div>

just a reminder to anyone going to the long range matches at Camp Perry. Mark will be there with some media.
if you want some from him up there PM me and I will get you his cell # so you can hook up.

Terry

I was wonder if anyone has had issues with brass bonding to the bullet if left on the shelf loaded for awhile and then causing your ES to increase. Maybe this has already been discussed. I really like how STM cleans the brass up.

BYOG,

I think what you're referring to, is the electrolytic reaction between two dissimilar metals. Or maybe that's called "galvanic action". I can't remember and somebody will correct me shortly.

Either way, it is something to which I have never heard of in THIS case, and I'm not even so sure it is possible. This being due to the fact that brass' main component is Cu (copper). Though there is a small amount of Zn (zinc) in the mix, the main question you're asking (I think) is nullified by the amount of standing copper.

So opens the door for caterwauling and tomato-throwing. Proceed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BYOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wonder if anyone has had issues with brass bonding to the bullet if left on the shelf loaded for awhile and then causing your ES to increase. Maybe this has already been discussed. I really like how STM cleans the brass up. </div></div>

Really clean brass = a really good grip on the bullet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BYOG,

I think what you're referring to, is the electrolytic reaction between two dissimilar metals. Or maybe that's called "galvanic action". I can't remember and somebody will correct me shortly.

Either way, it is something to which I have never heard of in THIS case, and I'm not even so sure it is possible. This being due to the fact that brass' main component is Cu (copper). Though there is a small amount of Zn (zinc) in the mix, the main question you're asking (I think) is nullified by the amount of standing copper.

So opens the door for caterwauling and tomato-throwing. Proceed. </div></div>

Yes, it's possible for the bullet to become more bonded to the super clean brass. I've heard it referred to as cold bonding or cold welding.

For me it's not an issue because the ammo I would be concerned for this problem never sits around long. I did read a post on Accurateshooter.com where the individual loaded his ammo long and then when he took pre-loaded ammo to the range he used a hand press or arbor press with seater die to set the final OAL. Just moving the bullet a .010" or so is more than enough to break any "bond" real or just theoretical.

As for my "stockpile ammo", I don't really pay much attention to it as it's stuff I'll use to "rip off a few hundred rounds through any one of my three AR's or 9mm's.

I just joined the Stainless tumbling club.(Actually a couple buddies and I went in on it.) So far it's working good. Really shiny. I tumbled for 2.5hours. Rinsed and dried. Sized and then tumbled for a bit over an hour. Primer pockets on my 300 whisper brass wasn't perfect, but my 308 brass is clean all the way through.

Food dehydrator runs at around 160degrees F and dried in about an hour.

I'd kinda like to decap before I tumble. I was thinking of using the LEE Universal Decapping Die. But my only concern is if it will decap without swagging a bit of the side of the flash hole. I've had a decapping stem that was bent from the factory that did this and I was figuring that without any support on the body of the case, the lee die might not center up. Anyone have any issues like this?

Here's the setup.
laugh.gif

SSTumblingSetup.jpg

Oh and here's some of my brass!

SSTumblingBrass.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just joined the Stainless tumbling club.(Actually a couple buddies and I went in on it.) So far it's working good. Really shiny. I tumbled for 2.5hours. Rinsed and dried. Sized and then tumbled for a bit over an hour. Primer pockets on my 300 whisper brass wasn't perfect, but my 308 brass is clean all the way through.

Food dehydrator runs at around 160degrees F and dried in about an hour.

I'd kinda like to decap before I tumble. I was thinking of using the LEE Universal Decapping Die. But my only concern is if it will decap without swagging a bit of the side of the flash hole. I've had a decapping stem that was bent from the factory that did this and I was figuring that without any support on the body of the case, the lee die might not center up. Anyone have any issues like this?

Here's the setup.
laugh.gif

SSTumblingSetup.jpg

Oh and here's some of my brass!

SSTumblingBrass.jpg
</div></div>

That's nice brass!

So if I let the ammo sit for a month will I have to worry about my ES going up?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BYOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So if I let the ammo sit for a month will I have to worry about my ES going up? </div></div>

What's ES?

I use the vibratory for about 1/2 hr to get the crud off. Then i resize and deprime. Then the SS media for about an hr.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">extreme spread on his chrono </div></div>

Thank's!

Anyone want to buy a vib tumbler? LOL I love the Thumblers and stainless media. Should have taken the plunge earlier.

This method cleans SO well that brass will STICK to the steel powder funnel in a Dillon press making reloading a real chore as you not only have to push DOWN but you now have to pull UP on the handle.

What I did to fix this was add about a tablespoonful of mica powder to a vibratory tumblerful of corn cob media and after cleaning the brass with the STM run the brass through the tumbler for about a half hour.

Works great. Just have to use an N95 NIOSH particle filter when you're separating the corn cob and brass but I figure there's so little residual I'm not concerned about it otherwise.

Anyone else have this "problem"?

I used flitz metal polish on my dillon powder funnel and expander die. polished them up nice and problem was solved.

Terry

Anyone else have this problem? I run my .308 for 3 hours and it comes out looking like polished gold. I leave it out to dry overnight and by morning its starting to look dull again. I tried running it through again and again the same result. My pistol brass does not do it, once its cleaned it looks amazing and stays that way. Just wondered if anyone else has this problem and if there is a solution.

Can't beleive I would ever say this, but the introduction of this cleaning system has spoiled a lot of reloaders. Before this system you would have never ever heard that my brass is not looking like polished gold.
blush.gif

There are many variables that can cause this. Most of which has to do with the metallurgy of the brass.

What is your cleaning method? Dawn dish soap, Ivory, Lemishine (How much), drying method, Towel dry, then air dry.

Some of my rifle brass does that and some does not. I typically don't even look at that any more, all I know is my primer pockets are clean and the case insides are clean also.

2hr run time, Ivory dish soap (1oz), warm water, and a 9mm case of lemishime. After running I rinse the cases well and toss them in my ammo cam drying box overnight.

I mostly notice this discloration with Federal Gold match brass. Is this what your are using? If so, you will problay just have to live with it, as my federal case that I cycle do not stay that shiny polished look.

There may be some other guys chime in with their experiance with this also.

My suggestion is do not worry about it.

Try dunking those cases the next day into just warm water and Lemishine. Rinse the cases well and see what that does for you.

Terry

Welp i bit the bullet a week ago and ordered the Deluxe Kit from STM, and boy oh boy was it a good move! I'm extremely pleased with the results. The only issue is i'd like it if my primer pockets were a little cleaner, but they are far from still dirty! I ran it for 4 hours with 1/4 tsp Lemishine, 2 tbs dish soap.

I'm a believer!!
IMG522.jpg
Both are once-fired Lapua
IMG521.jpg

IMG520.jpg

I use the dual tub rock tumbler from harbor freight and I use about a tablespoon of dawn, 1/2 32 acp shell of lemi-shine, 3 hour tumble then pull them out towel dry and let air dry over night. I really don't care about how shiny they get I just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong with them. It does a fine job of cleaning primer pockets and inside the case. I was amazed when I pulled out my first batch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's the setup.
laugh.gif

SSTumblingSetup.jpg
</div></div>

I am sure your wife approves of this !!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh and here's some of my brass!

SSTumblingBrass.jpg
</div></div>

Very nice indeed! Nice photography!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter_308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm a believer!!
IMG522.jpg
</div></div>

You bet I am, too!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used flitz metal polish on my dillon powder funnel and expander die. polished them up nice and problem was solved.

Terry</div></div>

Thanks, Terry. I did that too (I actually pulled out the Dillon manual and found this problem listed under their troubleshooting section. "when all else fails, read the directions." as my High School Engineering Sciences teacher used to say).

Didn't last very long.

I found the longer-term fix to add a little mica dust to the cases. Next time I'll try using a quick Dillon case polish run in the tumbler alone.

On a positive note, an aside, Dillon support on this press has been stellar. Broke a large primer seater and wore out some large plastic parts (I've got over 65k rounds through this machine - used to own sub guns), called, they were sent out first class mail received in 3 days' time.

Hoo-rah Dillon.

Normbal: Admission of actually reading directions is forum rules for banihment. LOL.

Dillon is a great company to deal with. I jusst had scope rings from Badger that I had misplaced two of the screws to. Called them up told them I had misplaced them and had eight new screws in the mail in 3 days.

So, big thumbs up for Badger Ordnace!

Glad its working out for you on the big blue.

Terry

Hmmm...I have 2 emails out to the 'media supplier' but have yet to hear back. It has been a week. Anyone else having the same issue?

I'd like to buy from this guy, but I'm getting itchy...and may just go with the STM media or Pellets LLC.

Are there any appreciable differences?

Mark has been out of town due to a death in his family.

He is emailing you tonight. Check and let me know.

Terry

I good friend of mine bought the whole setup and is very proud of it and how clean his brass is, now I give him my dirty cases and a couple of beers and he cleans them for me, a couple more beers and he anneals them too.

One recommendation for anyone considering this kit.

BUY AN EXTRA BAG OF PINS.

I separate the pins/brass in my kitchen. Despite every precaution, I occasionally hear one fall into the sink, out on the floor, and they wind up inside the cases sometimes, jammed up inside primer holes or, and this is really special, underneath a .40 S&W case stuck inside a .45 acp case. I hand sort my brass. .40 S&W gets recycled. I've got a magnet on my desk in front of me with about a dozen pins I've found all over the house.

You get the picture. I think it's a great setup, best ever. But those little pins seem to have a mind of their own and wander off like alzheimer's patients when the front door's open.

I have been using the same 5lbs of pins for the past 7 years. I put magnets around the drain to catch any pins that may stray that way. I also have a magnet that is extendable to get the ones that may make it into the trap. If you are careful a 5lb bag shloud last you your lifetime. They also get better with age.

Terry

New poll results as of 8-31-2012 @ 12:00pm EST.

8-31-12poll.jpg

My clothes dryer has a rack that hooks to the door. This allows you to dry stuff without turning it in the drum. I was thinking about just putting a small basket of brass in the shelf and drying it that way.

I have tried media, ultra sonic, and now the stainless. I went with the big tumbler. I won't go back. Better than any other thing I have tried and faster. I put a USPS flat rate box of 223 ammo in it (about 1000 or more) and cleaned it all in a couple hours. Was once fired LC millitary range brass from the 70s. Awsome cleaner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New poll results as of 8-31-2012 @ 12:00pm EST.

8-31-12poll.jpg
</div></div>

There are 72 ppl out there that arent using their stainless media corrrectly. I have a large industrial ultrasonic and no matter what I use with it, it doesnt spit the brass out shiny clean. Yeah, it will get the dirt out, but they dont look as good! With the SS media, I get both, clean AND shiney. Makes it easy to look inside for thinning case walls/head separation starting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snajpr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My clothes dryer has a rack that hooks to the door. This allows you to dry stuff without turning it in the drum. I was thinking about just putting a small basket of brass in the shelf and drying it that way. </div></div>

My wife has a free-standing clothes dryer for delicate stuff. I plugs into 110V. Has heat and moves air and a timer.

Might have to investigate further...

Holy s*#@, hopped on @ lunch to look around the hide and saw that the SS media Thread just turned one million!!!
wink.gif

onemillion.jpg

Lots of converts out there.

Terry

OK, got the kit on Thursday, cleaned about 1000 9mm, then tonight while reloading (about 300 in) I saw this:

I stopped reloading and took a good look at all my remaining 700 or so 9mm cases and found two others with pins stuck in the flash holes. How many might I have missed? These took a good poking with a pick to remove. They wouldn't have come out with any amount of tumbling in the separator.

Ive ran many loads through my SS media and I have never had that happen

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use to get that occurance, but not lately.</div></div>

What did you change or do differently to prevent it?

The end cuts on the media looks rather ruff. Cull out what sticks, and toss them in your garbage. As you use the media it gets better and better as it also polishes itself. Some primer pockets are not punched correctly either, so may just toss those pieces of brass in the scrap bucket. Rifle brass I uniform and deburr the flash holes and that seems to take care of the issue.

Terry

I'm not trying to be a naysayer, but have a few honest questions concerning SS Media Tumbling.

1) Does anyone not remember Chemistry 101 where you put a piece of copper and brass in citric acid to watch it 'dezinc'? Could this be the reason why a lot of people are ending up with Orange or Brown cases? What about being brittle after a few cleanings? Is that not a concern?

2) Has anyone filtered the water coming from their rotary tumbler to see how much brass is removed? A simple coffee filter will do!

The reason I bring up these two points is because I have long been familiar with 'alternative' methods of cleaning brass. One of the rules of thumb is never use citric acid! Citric acid will cause corrosion of the brass and cause it to become brittle. This compromises the integrity of the 'SAAMI Spec' case!

Furthermore, SS media is used in the casting industry to debur castings. I have seen it used at a local foundry, and the castings are actually cast at .010" OVER spec to allow for changes due to the media deburring process. When the casts come out they are to spec!

Again, I'm not trying to piss on the thread. I'm just looking for some serious answers and studies. "Because it works!" isn't a valid reason for me to try it. I have some serious concerns about the ways these cases are cleaned.

My main concerns are about the elasticity of the brass after several cleanings, and the pressure sensitivity after only a few firings.

Your input is appreciated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The end cuts on the media looks rather ruff. Cull out what sticks, and toss them in your garbage. As you use the media it gets better and better as it also polishes itself. Some primer pockets are not punched correctly either, so may just toss those pieces of brass in the scrap bucket. Rifle brass I uniform and deburr the flash holes and that seems to take care of the issue.

Terry </div></div>

I'm not sure how a rough end on the pins might cause this, but I'll keep an eye out as I just found a rifle case in a batch with rough looking pins too:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not trying to be a naysayer, but have a few honest questions concerning SS Media Tumbling.

1) Does anyone not remember Chemistry 101 where you put a piece of copper and brass in citric acid to watch it 'dezinc'? Could this be the reason why a lot of people are ending up with Orange or Brown cases? What about being brittle after a few cleanings? Is that not a concern?
</div></div>

I'm a chemist by degree, but haven't worked in the field for some years, but I don't think there's much to worry about at these concentrations. It's probably less than a gram of citric acid in a gallon of water, plus, you need two metals with sufficient electronegativity difference for a redox reaction as you describe and stainless just ain't that active (by design) as an anode/cathode in this case. Mostly the citric acid just raises the pH slightly to "soften" tap water.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
2) Has anyone filtered the water coming from their rotary tumbler to see how much brass is removed? A simple coffee filter will do!
</div></div>

I haven't actually filtered and weighed, but I'm sure there is a measurable amount of brass particles getting rubbed off the cases as can be seen here on a freshly uncapped gasket:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The reason I bring up these two points is because I have long been familiar with 'alternative' methods of cleaning brass. One of the rules of thumb is never use citric acid! Citric acid will cause corrosion of the brass and cause it to become brittle. This compromises the integrity of the 'SAAMI Spec' case!

</div></div>

I just got the STM kit, but I've been using citric acid in my ultrasonic for quite some time now and I have some Lapua .308 cases on their 8th reloading and show no signs of embrittlement, etc. (I anneal every 4th firing and only collet neck size). I just don't think you're going to damage brass at these concentrations.

Furthermore, SS media is used in the casting industry to debur castings. I have seen it used at a local foundry, and the castings are actually cast at .010" OVER spec to allow for changes due to the media deburring process. When the casts come out they are to spec!

Again, I'm not trying to piss on the thread. I'm just looking for some serious answers and studies. "Because it works!" isn't a valid reason for me to try it. I have some serious concerns about the ways these cases are cleaned.

My main concerns are about the elasticity of the brass after several cleanings, and the pressure sensitivity after only a few firings.

Your input is appreciated. </div></div>

I've only had the STM kit for 4 days, but I'm already having serious doubts about the process.

Someone above mentioned the stationary rack in the dryer. I have used it in the winter-time and works fine. I put the cases on a perforated pizza pan; takes about 30 minutes on low. I also rinse my cleaned cases in rubbing alcohol. It keeps them from water spotting and they dry quicker. Roll around on a towel to get most off and set on a pan in the sun. Here after 30 minutes the brass is too hot to touch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: judgedelta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Someone above mentioned the stationary rack in the dryer. I have used it in the winter-time and works fine. I put the cases on a perforated pizza pan; takes about 30 minutes on low. I also rinse my cleaned cases in rubbing alcohol. It keeps them from water spotting and they dry quicker. Roll around on a towel to get most off and set on a pan in the sun. Here after 30 minutes the brass is too hot to touch.

</div></div>

As for the alcohol. Why wouldn't distilled water work? It's a lot cheaper and will not spot cases? It's the minerals in the water that spot the case!

However, I'm still not sold on the whole idea of media tumbling. If someone could give me some irrefutable evidence that it doesn't change the dimensions of the case ... I might buy into it. Until then ... I'll opt out!

As a response to <span style="font-weight: bold">Gene Poole's</span> last comment above:

In the picture it looks like you've been panning for gold! Where did all of that brass come from?
wink.gif

You can't tell me that SS media tumbling doesn't change the dimensions of brass. The proof is in the pudding!
smile.gif

As a response to <span style="font-weight: bold">Gene Poole's</span> last comment above:

In the picture it looks like you've been panning for gold! Where did all of that brass come from?
wink.gif

</div></div>

That was after a 3.5 hr run of 120 Winchester .308 cases.