• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

Re: Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

I'm not sure why the problem stopped.But when I tumble now I don't see that anymore.
Why 95 alcohol? because buy the time you pour the remainer back into the bottle the brass is dry.

I just found a Thumler's A-R1 for $40, it has a 3lb capacity drum. About how many 5.56 cases do you guys think that will hold? And how much media would I use for it?

For that matter, is a 3lb drum even usable? Everyone I've seen with these uses a 15lb drum unit.

save your money for the 15lb capcaity tumbler. It will be a one time purchase just like the media is.

Buy once, cry once.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">save your money for the 15lb capcaity tumbler. It will be a one time purchase just like the media is.

Buy once, cry once.

Terry </div></div>

I agree with you on this one.
But for $40 he get's something to start with and when he goes to a 15lb'er he'll have a spare motor.

Thanks Terry, I saw that a few nights ago! With any luck, I might be able to ninja that out!

...And I just remembered a good friend of mine is a geologist. Hmm, he might know where to get quality rock tumblers.

Good Luck!

New Poll Results as of 10-16-2012 @ 1:30pm EST.

10-16-12poll.jpg

Terry

Question for the SS experts.....

When do you use the media?

Say I have dirty and fired brass. It has the primer in it.

Do I tumble now? Or do I size first, and tumble afterwards?

If I do tumble after, wont that ding up the brass?

Thanks for the help

Deprime brass after firing
Clean in SS media
Size
Prime
Powder
bullet

Repeat

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Deprime brass after firing
Clean in SS media
Size
Prime
Powder
bullet

Repeat </div></div>

+1 and I use a lee universal deprimer rather then dirty up my actual loading dies.

have separate depriming, body only sizer and neck sizer, so:

-deprime
-body only resize and knock shoulder back .001 (apply imperial wax to do this)
-trim if necessary
-tumble
-anneal if fired 3 times
-neck size
-chamfer neck
-run brush through neck
-prime
-powder
-seat bullet
-mark case with number of times fired with sharpie and if doing load development with specifics

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outlaw45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's wrong with sizing then tumbling?</div></div>

junk in the die?

Been having a couple of issues lately with the Thumbler. It seems it doesn't have enough power to spin a fully loaded tumbler. I haven't been using it as much as I use to, not sure if it's the rollers, belt or I need a stronger motor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been having a couple of issues lately with the Thumbler. It seems it doesn't have enough power to spin a fully loaded tumbler. I haven't been using it as much as I use to, not sure if it's the rollers, belt or I need a stronger motor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.</div></div>

Clean it, grease it, put some grip tape around the barrel so it doesn't slip. With a full load, I've had to give mine a little help when I first plug it in, but then it goes just fine.

The belt slips on the wheels. Do the belts stretch over time?

Yes, you can grt a replacement. But first make sure no lube worked it's way to the belt. Quick fix may be hairspray or belt dressing can from auto store

Any one tried using dish washer soap to cut down on all the foam from using Dawn ? Arnie

Just got mine today!

This is the only way to clean brass

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: arnie19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any one tried using dish washer soap to cut down on all the foam from using Dawn ? Arnie </div></div>

Tried them and did not get the same results as Dawn or Ivory soap used along with LemiShine.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The belt slips on the wheels. Do the belts stretch over time? </div></div>

Clean your sprockets with brake cleaner and a rag and wipe down your belt also with a little of it on a rag. Also, watch your weight. The capacity is listed at 15lbs and it is really easy to exceed that by 5lbs plus with brass and water along with 5lbs of your SS pins.

Terry

that ss media made a believer out of me! brass looks [as new]d-1

In my thumbler model B I use half the recommended water and soap with a 1/4 tsp of lemonshine so I can clean more brass per session. I tumble for about 2 hrs. Works great. I'll never go back to dry media.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outlaw45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's wrong with sizing then tumbling? </div></div>

Any grit on the outside of the cases will eventually scratch the die walls which will transfer to the case when sized. That is the conventional wisdom but I have to wonder "how about all those ppl that don't clean their brass at all?" I've never actually heard of anyone ruining a sizing die by sizing dirty brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sgJ_WSeUEZQ"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sgJ_WSeUEZQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Terry </div></div>

Can you PLEASE re-name this file on You Tube so it come's up under Thumbler's tumbler search?
I just spent an hour looking for it.

Ok, Zuke! Only for you!

Its renamed as "Lubing the Model B Thumlers Tumbler"!

Terry

great cleaning system, i know a lot of people use the (LemiShine), another alternative to that is jet dry its a liquid not dry like LemiShine. Breaks down any hard water to eliminate spots and or tarnishing. i even add a little to my media separator filled with H2O to keep the cases looking nice and shiny, i don't know if that really helps any but i do it anyway.

im trying to simplify all of my reloading chores and buying this was for sure a good idea

Stainless + lemishine makes brass look better than new.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, Zuke! Only for you!

Its renamed as "Lubing the Model B Thumlers Tumbler"!

Terry </div></div>

Thank You kind Sir!

What is everyone's recipe for stainless tumbling?

How much water, soap, lemishine?

For 50 rifle cases I fill with water up to about 2 inches from the top. About 1 to 2 tablespoons of Dawn soap. About 2 tablespoons of Lemi-shine. Is that right? Then tumble for about 2 hours.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outlaw45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is everyone's recipe for stainless tumbling?

How much water, soap, lemishine?

For 50 rifle cases I fill with water up to about 2 inches from the top. About 1 to 2 tablespoons of Dawn soap. About 2 tablespoons of Lemi-shine. Is that right? Then tumble for about 2 hours. </div></div>

Sounds like a shit load of lemishine you're doing, like WAY too much...

How much then?

And what's the fastest way to dry the cases? I use an air compressor to blow them off sometimes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outlaw45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much then?

And what's the fastest way to dry the cases? I use an air compressor to blow them off sometimes. </div></div>
A tablespoon of dawn or ivory soap, then a 40s&w case of lemishine works.

The fastest way is a alcohol dip and blow off with compressed air. I just use a drying box with a axial fan and 60 watt light bulb. Close and let run over night.

Terry

Can I get a PM with the info on the SS media and tumbler please. Does the media ever wear out? If so how much use do you get out of it? Thanks

Personally I have never needed more than a 9mm case of lemishine. Not trying to split hairs as a 40 vs 9 is tiny in the scheme of things. As for drying I live in AZ so I tumble my brass in a towel then throw them on a metal screen in the sun for any hour and they are ready to load. If I tumble brass that has spend primers still in they take more time to dry.

I have heard or some guys using the oven on low (200 for 20-30min) to dry brass.... Is it safe to get brass that warm for that long?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: country888</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can I get a PM with the info on the SS media and tumbler please. Does the media ever wear out? If so how much use do you get out of it? Thanks </div></div>

PM Sent for Media contact! I have been running my media for well over 6-7 years and it does nothing but get better with age.
As long as you do not loose the pins they will last you a long long time.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: country888</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can I get a PM with the info on the SS media and tumbler please. Does the media ever wear out? If so how much use do you get out of it? Thanks </div></div>

PM Sent for Media contact! I have been running my media for well over 6-7 years and it does nothing but get better with age.

Terry </div></div>

I would like a PM too. I've been talking to my bro in law about this and he advised me he has a tumbler in storage and it works, just need a new 0 ring to drive it.

Thank you!!

Edit: oh wait, maybe, I just want the SS media.

I have been doing a LOT of brass tumbling and the skin is peeling off the end of my fingers. I am using Lemishine and Dawn. I suggest rubber gloves if your hands are going to be in the solution a lot.

my bro in law came by with his tumbler and low and behold....

I had no idea this is what he had..
IMG_0886.jpg

It's more than 20 years old & it may have been almost 20 years since it was last run.

I just disassembled, cleaned and lubed it after I took the pic. It runs pretty good now, motor is strong. Has old, cracked O ring, so it needs a O ring. How cool is that!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: country888</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can I get a PM with the info on the SS media and tumbler please. Does the media ever wear out? If so how much use do you get out of it? Thanks </div></div>

Terry </div></div>

Thanks for the info! I want to try this out!

Interesting thread. Getting brass super clean is nice, but does it improve accuracy?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin LA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting thread. Getting brass super clean is nice, but does it improve accuracy?</div></div>

Who knows but clean brass sure us nice to work with!

Thanks suasponte, I order some media from your guy! Been in contact with with for few days now, all I can say is he is a wealth of knowledge and hell of a nice guy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lewis Arms Co.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where is the best buy on stainless media?? </div></div>

Just send suasponte a pm, he will send you the contact info. Great guy!