• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

Re: Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seawalker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I don't understand is why someone who is trying to horn in on a process that somebody else started doesn't have the common decency to stay out of the thread started by the person who pioneered the process.

Terry (suasponte) and Mark (the anonymous supplier) have done more than anyone could hope for in figuring out this process and making it public here. Obviously they don't want to get involved in selling tumblers as well.

Since you are reading this thread that means you have the ability to do a Google search and find the best price on a tumbler yourself.

I'd say the learning process is ongoing as people freely make known here the various ideas they have on drying methods and this new mangetic tumbler idea.

So far all I've seen is that stainless media.com is trying to take credit for something they didn't invent, but are trying to make a buck from. </div></div>

I'm not going to get into a pissing match with who's right and who's wrong and the whole ethics of the debate but I will say that the Stainless Tumbling Media guys are all right by me.

Being in the UK no equivalent products exist (no media, no tumbler large enough and no Lemishine)

STM shipped all this out to me including a 220V tumbler in one package and backed it up with excellent communication and after sales service. Without these guys offering the full package I very much doubt I'd have gone to the trouble and expense of trying to purchase the components individually and would have missed out on what is arguably the best case cleaning solution available.

Thank you to Suasponte for making the process public and for all the info posted on this thread.

What is the best way to store this media when not in use?

Dry it?
Leave it in the tumbler wet?

Got the PM suasponte, will contact him soon. Thanks!!
Scott

I just leave it wet in the tumbler, it'll dry.
But right now my tumbling's done till spring. It was -27 with the wind the past couple day's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sdb777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the best way to store this media when not in use?

Dry it?
Leave it in the tumbler wet?

Got the PM suasponte, will contact him soon. Thanks!!
Scott </div></div>

If you do not take it out of the tumbler you can't lose them! I dump all media into a plastic tub when done and run water over it until the water is clear. The plastic tub I have drilled aporox 100 1/32" diameter holes in the bottom to drain off the water.

Below is a picture of the bottom of my rinsing/storage container.

DSC01310.jpg

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still looking for contact info and prices on this... </div></div>

Check your PM's

Terry

Beware of Hobby Warehouse for the tumblers. They confirmed the tumbler had the 3000rpm motor and sent me one with the 1550rpm motor and refuse to replace it.

It is understandable that you are aggravated because you didn't get what you ordered from Hobby Warehouse, but I doubt you'll ever know the difference in the two speeds.

Several members have posted positive results with the slower speed model. You can find info in this thread on how to order the faster motor.

If you're offering to swap me a Hi Speed motor for mine because you wouldn't mind the difference in speeds, sign me up. There wasn't a question mark anywhere in my previous post for a reason. Thanks though.

Call Thumlers and tell them and they will probaly swat you out!

However, if you have in writing that Hobby Warehouse was supposed to supply you the HS motor and did not then a call the the Better Business Bearu is the answer.

You have every right to get what you paid for and I would let them know that.

I beleive that Chiller posted in this thread several months ago that the Thumblers from Hobby Warehouse was not the HS motors.

If they said it was and you did not get it then bitch your ass off and go from there.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hokeyplyr48</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the highspeed version really that important? Does it really cut the time down for tumbling? </div></div>

Yes it does make a difference. The units are NOT the High speed versions at HW. </div></div>

Terry is correct (unless they have changed).

You can quickly verify in that the high speed and low speed are different HP (fractional)

Will confirm tonight which is which.

Yeah I shot HW an email and they said "It's the larger faster motor" so I bought it. They refuse to exchange it, so be it. I'd feel silly contacting Thumlers about an issue with HW. Seems like a well made unit so I'm gonna just eat it and go hit Cabelas for a Hi Speed one this week. My media is due in Friday from Mark so I'll have to get a 2nd and some more media next month. Just wanted others to benefit from my misfortune, even if it is just a heads up on this thread.

Thanks for the help Terry. You and Mark are great and this thread is awesome. I look forward to gettin things running soon. Disappointed in the oppurtunists who shall remain nameless. You guys really came up with something unique and invaluable. Thanks for sharing it and taking the time to help those gettin started. Shame on those other folks for how they are handling themselves.

It is hard to beleive that today is the one year Anniv of when I started the Testimonial Thread. That and 1000 plus replies along with almost 150,000 views. Just blows me away, I never thought when I posted in the media for tumbling thread it would have ever turned into this.

Thanks to all who have contributed to the thread and all the great PM conversations I have had with you Hide Members. A truely great group of guys on this Forum. A thanks for all the great info I have picked up too.

Merry Christmas to you all!

Terry

Yes, thanks to Terry and Mark for bringing this to our attention. For me personally just starting out, it saved me from having to go through the dust of the vibratory method when I have a lot of sinus issues to deal with. I can breathe clearly while dumping the SS media out of the cases!!!
cool.gif

i jusr recieved my ss media kit and cleaned my firt batch of brass...all i have to say is wow....thanks terry and mark

I saw the light, and the gleam!
Thank's to you 2, I'm a happy camper and you've saved me a lot of brass.
No longer is it "too dirty to get cleaned"
I toss it in and see what happen's and have not been dissappointed!
Merry Christmas and a Happy New year to the 2 of you!

Sorry I missed your post Chiller. Appreciate the heads up. Called Thumlers and they are hookin me up with a HiSpeed motor for dealer cost. Very cool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Immorteq</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry I missed your post Chiller. Appreciate the heads up. Called Thumlers and they are hookin me up with a HiSpeed motor for dealer cost. Very cool. </div></div>

The people at Thumler's are a great group to deal with. They have always taken care of any issue that I had.

Updated poll results as of 12/23/2010 at 10:00pm

12-23-10poll.jpg

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Immorteq</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Beware of Hobby Warehouse for the tumblers. They confirmed the tumbler had the 3000rpm motor and sent me one with the 1550rpm motor and refuse to replace it. </div></div>

Those people are an F'n Joke. AVOID THEM AT ALL COST.

Buffalo Arms.com Ordered mine and arrived in two days. NO BS'n good folks in Idaho..

Just my 2 guys.

I didn't realize how great this stuff was until I decided to tumble some brass I bought on some surplus FGMM I bought from the CMP. The FGMM was at least 10 years old. The cases went from mild discoloration to out and out corrosion. I tumbled them just to see what it would look like... they came out looking as good as virgin brass except for some spots where the primers were seated.

This really is incredible. All done relatively painlessly in the space of 4 hours. Awesome. Worth every penny.

I'm sure I missed something here. If I have a 15 pound tumbler and put in 5-lbs of media, 8-lbs of water and lemishine that leaves me with 2-lbs of brass. 2-lbs or 308 brass=about 75 cases. Not very efficent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5lbs of Stainless media, 1 Gallon of warm water + Plus dish soap (Optional addition of Lemishine or Teaspoon of Citranox), and brass.

Model "B" is rated for 15lbs:

1) Media = 5lbs
2) Water = 8lbs (approx)
3) Brass = 2lbs

Every once and awhile I toss my drum when its loaded on my 50lb rated digital scale to make sure I am at or under that rating.

Thumlers Tumblers are tanks! They last for ever, but I recommend not to overload the drum.

308 brass = .4oz > 80 cases approx 2lbs
223 brass = .2oz > 160 cases
45 brass = .2oz > 160 cases
40 S&W = .15oz > 212 cases
9mm = .14oz > 228 cases

Above is a guide line for qty's based on 5lbs media and 8lbs (1 gallon of water).

I just put exactly 1 gallon of water in my empty drum. The water level was 1 1/4" below the top of the rubber inner liner.
So, with the 5lbs of media in with the water I would say the 7lbs of water would leave a safe level to add brass without over flow.

Based on that you can figure:

3 lbs of brass into the drum!

Refigure from above 16oz = 1lb

16 / .4 = 40 x 3 = 120case of 308's
16 / .2 = 80 x 3 = 240case of 223's & 45's
16 / .15 = 106 x 3 = 318cases of 40S&W
16 / .14 = 114 x 3 = 342cases of 9mm

All the above case weights was taken on a DI-MXX123 so they are pretty close.

This is a guideline only. Because I know that I typically clean 200 308's per batch!

Just be mindful that the rated capacity is 15lbs! If its anything like calculating steel beams for loads I am sure that they have a safety factor in that load rating!

Just play it smart! I have found if you can tumble in small batches it cleans better and takes less time! I try to keep close to what I have figured above.

Hope it helps!

Terry
</div></div>

You can use a little less water. Seems like most can do about 125 for 308. I can do 200-250 cases of 223 with no problem, but I normally work with lots of 100 just because that suits my needs.

I'm sure Terry or someone else will be along shortly to give you the best number for 308.

If you want more volume, you can get a bigger tumbler.

ok so i just cleaned some brass in a friends ss media and wow, im in love. i seen the pictures but seeing it in real life is totally different, some body said it was like digging gold out of the tumbler, and i would have to agree!!!!!!

My next use of the stainless media will be to polish 21, 3006, used blank cases policed from the veterans cemetery after my father’s services.
These will be added to our family’s display for him.

Looks like a tumbler and some Media may be In your future? LOL

I have had lots of guys PM me and say that it's more effective in person. Lot of photos and many guys testimonials, however,seeing is beleiving!

Terry

Just for a visual I took a picture of (250) 223 case in my Model "B"'s drum after cleaning.

DSC01371.jpg

Here is the finished product after being in the drying box for half a day. There are 500 cases in the bin, half that many was in the tumbler.

Mark, this is 1/4 of what I told you I picked up the other day.

DSC01372.jpg

Terry

Just FYI concerning the Thumlers.

Be sure to remove the rubber lining periodically and dry out the steel.

Its not painted inside and will rust if water gets between the liner and the steel.

Here is my draining method:

p986438246.jpg

I gently dump the water from the tumbler into the sink.

Then just turn the thing over into the large strainer and shake away.

Then I stick the thing under the sink and run water thru the cases into the tub, again shaking further.

For me the media is always inside the cases (as well as outside) and I take three at a time and 'drain' out the pins. A bit tedious.

As the cases get emptied I drop them into a plastic Folgers container.

Eventually all the cases are out and I shake the large strainer to get all the pns to fall thru.

I then empty the tub of water and 'pour' the pins into the small round strainer which has a much tighter weave and start rinsing the pins out.

It takes me about three batches to empty the big tub.

I just dump the pins into the rubber of the Thumlers.

I then size the cases and the Lee neck sizing rod takes care of any pins that get stuck lenghtwise in a .223 case. Pretty obvious when it happens and I just shake that pin out of the case.

I drop these lubed cases back into the Folgers tub which has a solution of water/dish soap/lemishine again (very little) as this is the quickest method I found for removing the Lee lube.

Dan -

I use the same draining basket as you showed in your photo. I just spread the arms across my sink from front to back and it is very functional.

William

Please be patient while I am trying to understand. Would this water be ok to put down the sink if you have a septic tank? Does the fact that the brass looks cleaner have an inpact on a target that is 300 yards away? What happens when you start your tumbler before you go to bed and the brass sits in the solution for another 6 hours? If you want to load a 1000 rounds how much time do you have to spent loading, drying, cleaning the mess and the media to get 1000 brass ready to reload at 80-100 cases per batch?

1) Septic tank, my buddy has been using it for a couple years now and I have not heard of any problems with the tank. It is basically dirty black water with some carbon content.

2) Clean brass has no outcome on a 300yd target or a 1000yd target. It does however go back to constistancy.

3) IF you go to bed and the tumbler is running then the barss is being tumbled clean. It has been stated multiple times not to allow the brass to sit for any long period of time after being tumbled. The carbon will rebond to the brass and give you gun metal colored brass (But clean).

4) 1000 rounds will take whatever time it takes to be right. I do not rush anything I do when I am loading. I guess it all comes down to efficency and your equipment. I have just tumbled (1000) 223's in 250 round batches at 3 hours per tumble. There is 12 hours of tumbling. While the other 250 are tumbleing I size, trim, and prep.

Time or quality!

There are pro and cons to both wet and dry cleaning! You just have to decide which way you want to go. I have done all three, Vibratory with Corn cob, Ultrasonic with Citranox, and now the SS Media. I will not clean my brass any other way other than with the SS media.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3) IF you go to bed and the tumbler is running then the barss is being tumbled clean. It has been stated multiple times not to allow the brass to sit for any long period of time after being tumbled. The carbon will rebond to the brass and give you gun metal colored brass (But clean).</div></div>
Never considered doing this intentionally, but if one did, it might be a way to subdue the brass.
15461.jpg

Kind of like Hornady TAP, just without the nickel.

the shinier the brass, the faster the bullets go and the more accurate they are downrange.

just kidding
laugh.gif

another convert here. Just finished up some .30-06 brass last night.......I tried the ultrasonic for about a week to figure out it wasn't what I was looking for....

Using the SS media really is way easier and less hassle with better results.

Whew!! I was concerned that the change in Magenetic Deviation would affect how it cleaned the brass that far north! LOL

Congrats and welocome to the club!

Terry

oh no...it's clean alright..scary clean!
smile.gif

Chiller:

I have partial plans drawn in Autocad for a 15-20lb tumlber that can be built with items purchased at Wal-mart, Lowes, or Home-depot. Just have not had the time to really put into looking at what is available and pricing. Want to keep it under $100 but cheaper if possible. Need to converse with Mark on some items and maybe post what I have so far and have the Hide members put their .02 into what the final project build will be.

When it comes to things electrical, well lets just say I'm dumb enough to fry myself. LOL.

Had a few things but scrapped them.

Want to stick with KISS if you know what I mean. Simpler is better.

Terry

I just got a new Tumbler and Stainless Tumbling Media for Christmas and boy does it work GREAT! Shortens the tumbling time to about 4 Hours.

The one problem I just can't solve is that after the cleaning, it looks great. Then I let it dry, but it will dry to where it will discolor the brass. I have tried drying it in the sun, naturally on a loading tray, in the oven and I still get the same discoloration. Using Dawn and Lemishine like everyone else. Is it something in my water? Isn't what the Dawn and Lemishine suppose to soften the water?

Weird! I have brass that has been in ammo cans for over two years and as gold as the day I cleaned them. I have never had discoloration after they have Ben cleaned and dried.

Are you rinsing the brass completely? Also, try using room temp water instead of hot water. Some guys have stated that they had had discoloration using hot water.

Are you able to post pictures of said brass?

Terry

I thought I wasn't rinsing enough, but that wasn't the case. Right now I don't have any discolored brass as I took the discolored brass and ran them through my vibratory cleaner. When I resize and clean my .308 Nosler brass I will post a pic after I clean and let them dry.

Or I might do some on my crap FGMM once fired brass and see what I get tonight.

Just wanted to post a short video of my TT running. (I'm learning how to use our new Flip camera and post videos)

It sounds louder in the video than it actually is. It seems a good bit quiter than my vibratory cleaner.

Also you can see the wobble of my canister. I posted before about that and other people reported having the same "problem". Not sure if it really is a problem.

It is running now with my first batch.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rxP9rvrnaPk"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rxP9rvrnaPk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought I wasn't rinsing enough, but that wasn't the case. Right now I don't have any discolored brass as I took the discolored brass and ran them through my vibratory cleaner. When I resize and clean my .308 Nosler brass I will post a pic after I clean and let them dry.

Or I might do some on my crap FGMM once fired brass and see what I get tonight. </div></div>

Are you getting all the media out completely before you dry them? The only time I've had really dramatic bronze looking discoloration was when I had some media left in one of the cases while the batch was in the dehydrator. I'm guessing there's some reaction if you leave them sitting together in a moist environment too long.

Any of you tried to re-tumble after sizing to remove imperial wax? I'm thinking it doesn't work.