• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

Re: Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy M40a2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I found some brass media and it worked great.
photo-2.jpg

</div></div>

Cool, where did you get yours!

Terry

can someone point me to the posts about using a cement mixer? or repeat the infor? don't wanna have to scroll thru 1300 posts to find it. THANKS!

Something I've been doing lately is after tumbling and rinsing is annealing my brass. After rinsing I'll set the cases upside down in an mtm catridge holder box for a bit. Then I'll start annealing. The heat from the torch seems to dry out the brass pretty quick. After letting the brass cool for a bit, my brass is ready to be sized and prepped.

I usually save priming and charging for the next day as my time at the reloading bench is limited between, work and family.

I know most people don't anneal every firing, but I've started to do that for the sake of consistency and I might as well dry my brass at the same time
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sergeant69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can someone point me to the posts about using a cement mixer? or repeat the infor? don't wanna have to scroll thru 1300 posts to find it. THANKS! </div></div>

There are some post on pg 28 by Bimmer! Maybe he will read this and update us on his mixer.

Terry

New poll results as of 3/6/2011 @ 8:00am EST

3-6-2011poll.jpg

I know it's in this thread somewhere but can I get the contact info of who to get everything from to setup SS media cleaning. I want to go all out and get the best setup so I'm not needing to change later on. The brass I need to clean is 6.5, 308, 338, 408, and 50bmg. I don't know if there is one setup that cleans everything or if I need to have different setups.

Send a PM to Suasponte here on the Hide. He will PM you the contact info. Can't speak to .408 and .50bmg but for the rest; 6.5, .308 and .338, the SS media works great. I use just one size of the media, that is all that I know is available. Does not stick or jam in any of those or in .223 and .45 ACP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bmorgan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know it's in this thread somewhere but can I get the contact info of who to get everything from to setup SS media cleaning. I want to go all out and get the best setup so I'm not needing to change later on. The brass I need to clean is 6.5, 308, 338, 408, and 50bmg. I don't know if there is one setup that cleans everything or if I need to have different setups.</div></div>

Check your PM's for contact info!

You only need a Thumlers Tumbler "B", 5lbs of SS media attainable from PM'd contact, Ivory/Dawn dish soap, Lemi Shine, and dirty brass.

I have cleaned 22 Hornet all the way to 50 BMG and every caliber that you can list between. One setup will get you there.

Terry

PS: Thanks Deisel!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SD669</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hit me with contact details please. </div></div>

Pm sent!

Terry

LOL...Suasponte...your deffinately keeping Mark busy. I got 20 pounds form him a couple weeks ago and LOVE it. He is deffinately a stand up guy. I bet we talked for almost 3 hours and only 10 minutes on the media. Thanks to you both.
Rod

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Renneberg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Contact info please.
Thanks,
Jay </div></div>

PM sent!

Terry

New poll results as of 3/8/2011 @ 4:00pm EST

3-8-2011poll.jpg

I can confirm that NECO's dry neck lube kit reduces seating force required on super duper SS media cleaned brass, I use Wilson inline seaters with a K&M arbor press with seating force attachment, clean brass no lube the force needed to begin seating is higher to start with and higher to end with than brass lubed with the NECO kit, same neck tension, the bullets also seam to be more consistent in terms of ojive seating depth, on target lubed v unlubed I'd give a nod towards lubed. Now I know some of yall are going to say the NECO kit contains Moly, but the amount inside the neck is barely visable, so I'm not worried that the Moly is going to mess up my non Moly bullet using barrel.

427cobra:

I have been using HBN on the bullets along with lubing the case necks. I got the ball bearing and just added the HBN.

Working rather well, and the SD and ES are showing it. I do not have a force gage, however, I can tell that the lubed is for sure easier to seat.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
sergeant69 said:
can someone point me to the posts about using a cement mixer? or repeat the infor? don't wanna have to scroll thru 1300 posts to find it. THANKS! </div></div>

There are some post on pg 28 by Bimmer! Maybe he will read this and update us on his mixer.

Terry

I have not put my cement mixer together yet. I think I still may be brainstorming it...I may be waiting for some Bimmer updates as well.....I did put a 5Gal water cooler bottle in between the two halves and it seems to fit almost perfectly! But I'm debating whether I actually need that in there? The mixer has paddles to be bolted in so that may be enough....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brycer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
sergeant69 said:
can someone point me to the posts about using a cement mixer? or repeat the infor? don't wanna have to scroll thru 1300 posts to find it. THANKS! </div></div>

Terry

I have not put my cement mixer together yet. I think I still may be brainstorming it...I may be waiting for some Bimmer updates as well.....I did put a 5Gal water cooler bottle in between the two halves and it seems to fit almost perfectly! But I'm debating whether I actually need that in there? The mixer has paddles to be bolted in so that may be enough....
</div></div>
i was told that w/out rubber coating the paddles and interior the brass would get chewed up too badly.

I have a buddy that is talking about doing a cement mixer. We have kicked around Rhino lining the interior of the barrel with some angles to keep the brass moving instead of sliding on the barrel surface.

If he decides to proceed there will be pictures of what was done.

Terry

tap work's for just about everyone, depend's on how hard the water is.
If it's city water use it, your already paying for it.

just did my first load tonight and all I can say is wow
it's is next to impossible to tell the fired brass from new
very happy with it

I believe that the Lemishine is for the hard water problems...I live in the country so I have a well. I used the tumbler with and without the lemishine and didn't notice a problem. If you use a dehumidifier you could use that water in it also if your worried about hard water but both works fine.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dean253</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Distilled water or Tap water? </div></div>

Stainless media is working great for me. I speed the drying process by shaking the brass in alcohol in a tupperware, and then laying them out in an old food dehydrator.

I've been experimenting...

For the last 8 loads of pistol brass and .223, I've been running <span style="text-decoration: underline">only enough water to cover the brass and media.</span> That's about 1/3 of the depth of the drum. I'm still using 1 full tablespoon of Lemi + two squirts of lemon Dawn. I'm getting the best results ever, and in the shortest amount of time, too.

I think the lower water level leads to more aggressive agitation, plus the soap and Lemi are also at a more potent strength for better cleaning.

Can't see any drawbacks yet, but I can definitely see better results.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Bq9s14KwA4&feature=feedrec_grec_index"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Bq9s14KwA4&feature=feedrec_grec_index" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I need more capacity....will this work?

110 Pounds!!
cry.gif
Be a bitch lifting and unloading!

Plus, if they are FireStone you would have to worry about blow outs!

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollerCam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been experimenting...

For the last 8 loads of pistol brass and .223, I've been running <span style="text-decoration: underline">only enough water to cover the brass and media.</span> That's about 1/3 of the depth of the drum. I'm still using 1 full tablespoon of Lemi + two squirts of lemon Dawn. I'm getting the best results ever, and in the shortest amount of time, too.

I think the lower water level leads to more aggressive agitation, plus the soap and Lemi are also at a more potent strength for better cleaning.

Can't see any drawbacks yet, but I can definitely see better results. </div></div>

I've been running the "standard recipe" for a while now. I tried cutting my water in half last night with a batch of 9mm. The brass still got clean, but it didn't seem to have the same luster I've grown accustomed to. It reminded me of when I forgot to use soap, and was running on water and Lemishine only- clean but not sparkling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On a serious note....more capacity would be great.... </div></div>

How much more?? Cement mixer??

Terry

Is there any difference in using Ivory soap vs. Dawn? Or is it pretty much six in one hand and half a dozen the other?

Also has anyone tried Buffalo Arm's Stainless Steel Media .041"x.265"? I ordered their Thumler Tumbler and 5 lbs of their media thinking I could save a little by getting it all from one place. I must admit I was excited and only read after half way through this tread, not realizing there may be a difference. I was afraid they would sell out of their tumble and didn't wait to get the guy's source info. If it turns out to not be magnetic, is the only difference that its harder to pick up?

I think that the water supply drives the best combination of soap/lemishine/water for luster. I forgot more about chemistry
than I remember, so just a theory.

Last night's batch produced 5 9mm shells with a pink residue on them. Anyone know what causes that?

For everyone else thinking about switching over:
Magnetic propety is a must. Those little pieces of SS media are a bitch to pick up without the magnet,so...

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">USE TERRY'S SUPPLY SOURCE </span></span></span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seamonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there any difference in using Ivory soap vs. Dawn? Or is it pretty much six in one hand and half a dozen the other?

</div></div>

That's about right. They all work good. I use Palmolive because that's what's here right now, but I've used the others previously. The amount you use will depend on the hardness of your water.

would appreciate the contact info for the stainless tumbling media. thank you very much!

I have 1 batch from Buffalo Arms, and it is magnetic.

Support Terry's source though. I only ordered the one batch from Buffalo Arms because like you that is where I got the tumbler from.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">look up</div></div>

Or not, because yet again that is not Terry's source. Only someone who is capitalizing on all of his work and experimenting. I am all for him making money if he can but dont do it in a thread started and maintained by one of the guys who pioneered this method of cleaning. Not to mention it isnt magnetic.

With that being said I got my media two weeks ago and have done a few loads. Not all my primer pockets seem to get clean, any advice?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11AABN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">look up</div></div>

Or not, because yet again that is not Terry's source. Only someone who is capitalizing on all of his work and experimenting. I am all for him making money if he can but dont do it in a thread started and maintained by one of the guys who pioneered this method of cleaning. Not to mention it isnt magnetic.

With that being said I got my media two weeks ago and have done a few loads. Not all my primer pockets seem to get clean, any advice? </div></div>

How long are you letting it run? Try less brass, more Lemishine. I just kept playing around with all the variables. I will check a handful before seperating media and rinsing. If they are not all good to go I let them go longer.

Well, from that site that you don't like...he has videos that goes over it all and personally I don't care if is magnetic or not. All I can tell you I ran 200 .308 cases and tumbled them for 4 hours. Everything is clean and shiny. 2 Tbl dawn and 1/4 tsp of lemon shine.

Good luck

I may have missed it, but has anyone tried this method on nickel plated brass?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Warhawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I may have missed it, but has anyone tried this method on nickel plated brass?

</div></div>

Yes. They seem to get cleaner faster.

Hey has anyone noticed an issue with there thumbler leaking? Mine has done it since new about 6 months ago. Every batch it does it, I have to tumble near a floor drain or in a tub to catch the soapy water that leaks out o the lid as it tumbles. Very frustrating.... No matter how tight I crank the wing buts or in what order I tourqe them in, it still leaks....

gunman7, it sounds like you didn't get the rubber gasket which goes under the lid. You should have a rubber gasket that looks just like the lid with the 6 holes for the wingnuts. Even without it though I don't see how you could have a leak like you're describing. Can you post a picture?

Yep I have the rubber gasket on before the lid. I have noticed that when I put the rubber gasket on with the holes, that the holes don't line up well, in fact it creates like a wrinkle between the studs. But when I lightly push down with the cover on, it flattens it all out... I've run dozens of batches of .223 getting ready for P-Dog season and it happens each time. Leaks out from between the cover gasket seal and the rubber inner body liner. I suppose I could take picks on Monday but its pretty self explanatory...

What is the difference between the OP's contacts stainless steel media and the STM companies advertised at the bottom? Magnetic vs. Non Magnetic??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tengo1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the difference between the OP's contacts stainless steel media and the STM companies advertised at the bottom? Magnetic vs. Non Magnetic?? </div></div>

The OP's contact is THE guy who discovered this type of cleaning, and has put out a lot to get it all together.
He had to custom order and pay out of pocket for it and is slowly recovering it all one order at a time.
The company you mentioned is making money off his idea.

CASE MOUTH PEENING - After running the tumbler for 4 hours with .308 brass, you'll notice that the case mouths have some degree of peening. Has anyone come up with some ideas to minimize this?

I know that once the brass is cleaned and resized, and then trimmed to spec, the peening is usually trimmed off.