• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

Re: Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: afkbrad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One more question...does anyone use a case tumbler for any other reason after they've tumbled their brass with a Thumbler? Just curious if I should give mine to a friend after ordering a Thumbler. </div></div>

I use mine to clean off the lube after resizing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ACruise</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please send me the SS Media contact info.

Thanks in advance. </div></div>

PM sent for Marks contact info!

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: afkbrad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are all new model B tumblers high speed or is that a more expensive option? Didn't see anything on the Thumler website. </div></div>

Yes the high speed motors are more then the standard motor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlliedArmory</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: afkbrad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One more question...does anyone use a case tumbler for any other reason after they've tumbled their brass with a Thumbler? Just curious if I should give mine to a friend after ordering a Thumbler. </div></div>

I use mine to clean off the lube after resizing. </div></div>

Same here. Was planning on selling it, but it's just too convenient for a quick 20-30 minute tumble to clean lube or polish up tarnished bullets, etc.

When I rinse the brass right out of the tumbler they tend to change color to a darker brass color and start to blotch. I tried doubling the lemi-shine, but same thing happens. Am I doing something wrong?

Only way to make them look right is to let them sit in hot water with lemi-shine after i get them out of the tumbler.

Run just your media with Soap and Lemishine as a media cleaning cycle and rinse the media well.

I use 1oz of Ivory soap, and 40S&W case of Lemishine.

Brass and media into the drum first, then I start filling the drum with the Hottest tap water I can get, add lemishine next, then the Ivory soap. Tumble 3-4 hours and immediately rinse with hot tap water.

Try that and report your results.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Run just your media with Soap and Lemishine as a media cleaning cycle and rinse the media well.

I use 1oz of Ivory soap, and 40S&W case of Lemishine.

Brass and media into the drum first, then I start filling the drum with the Hottest tap water I can get, add lemishine next, then the Ivory soap. Tumble 3-4 hours and immediately rinse with hot tap water.

Try that and report your results.

Terry </div></div>

Thanks. Will try as much of that as I can. Only problem as that I do this outside and do not have access to hot tap water out there. I just prefer to do it outside instead of the inside sink as I do not want this nasty water anywhere near where food goes.

I actually just stumbled up the site last night and they made it look pretty impressive, looks like from the responses here I'll have to make the leap and get a setup. Especially since I dont have anything to clean brass at the moment. A little bit more than I wanted to spend but you cant argue with results. Not to mention seems a lot easier than an ultrasonic which I was leaning towards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XxMerlinxX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How has this thread not been stickied yet? </div></div>

This thread gets so much action, it's on the 1st 2 pages always anyways lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rebel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually just stumbled up the site last night and they made it look pretty impressive, looks like from the responses here I'll have to make the leap and get a setup. Especially since I dont have anything to clean brass at the moment. A little bit more than I wanted to spend but you cant argue with results. Not to mention seems a lot easier than an ultrasonic which I was leaning towards. </div></div>

Ultrasonic is nice but Stainless is better.

My Thumler's model B and media etc landed today after being stuck over a week in UK customs and all I can say is...

WOW.......................

I have never seen brass cleaned like this...

3 generous squirts of the 'own brand' dishwashing liquid that was next to the sink, a dash of Lemi Shine... 5 hours later and... Gobsmacked!!!

Now I just need to sort out the bent drive shaft my tumbler arrived with (it's making the tumbler jump quite violently... still works though!) and I will be a very happy man indeed..

2nd load is in right now... I'll leave them in overnight!

Ok guys Im new to reloading and was looking to get a "cheap" tumbler and use the walnut media. It seems like using the model B is a better option though more expensive. But you get what you pay for. So my questions is If i got a model B it seems like i need dish soap and some lemi shine. I understand this is a wet process. SO once they are done I need to make a 5 gallon bucket like the ones shown to separate the media from brass. I think someone said you use 1 gallon of water. How much stainless steel do i need? I hope im understanding this.

If someone would like to critique me to make sure im on the right track id appreciate it. You can PM or post on here. Also the way it sounds is the OP is where to get the steel from?

Thanks sorry in advance for the newbey questions just want to do this right.

5 lbs is all you need for a Mod B. If you are careful and don't lose it, will last forever. I use a gallon of hot water, 1/2 oz Ivory, 9MM case full of Limishine.

I separate pins from brass and holding case mouth down UNDER WATER and shake and they fall out. You can dry cases now by laying them on dark towel in direct sun light when you go to work and when you get home you are good to go.

done my first batch of brass tonight ran 160 pieces of 45 acp in the thumblers model b per the directions with the media and the stuff looks awsome coulnd't imagine cleaning brass any other way.just glad this thread was on here was thinking about going with vibratory method.so glad i didn't

Well I did the 99% alcohol quick dry method and man does it work nicely!
Ta hell with a drying box, put the case's in a small bucket,pour in alcohol, swish them around, remove case's from alcohol giving them a quick shake and put them on the picnic table. Pour the alcohol back into it's bottle then go put the bottle away.
By the time I got back the case's were dry!
No doubt about it, this is THE fastest way to dry them!

Thanks for the info guys! Also Id be looking to use it for 300WSM casing Im guessing you cant get that many in there at once. Which is fine Im not mass reloading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the info guys! Also Id be looking to use it for 300WSM casing Im guessing you cant get that many in there at once. Which is fine Im not mass reloading. </div></div>

I'm tumbling 150 45-70 as I type, and there's a lotta room left.

Sorry for the slow replies to the PM's! Been out of town on business and had no access to a computer that I could get to the Hide!

New poll results as of 5/20/2011 at 8:00pm EST

5-20-2011poll.jpg

Terry

I received the SS media today in the mail and I was able to do a run of some brass, Thanks Suasponte and Mark.
I used the Lyman mesh bags I have to keep some different calibers and head stamps separate and as long as you leave the bags tied loosely I think that it will work fine, one bag was tied a bit tighter and that brass didn't come up as clean as the other brass did but still a lot better than anything I have tried before. This is well worth the investment.
Here is a before and after picture of some of my brass.

Don

45acpdirty.jpg

45acpclean.jpg

Looks like your on the right track Don. However, the thanks belongs to Mark! He makes it happen. I just respond to the PM's.

On another note! <span style="color: #FF0000">Niehter Mark or I are associated with STM.</span>
If you get a PM from anyone other than me (Suasponte) you are not getting Marks contact info.

Also, Thanks to everyone who has posted pictures. I know it can be time consuming and a pain in the A$$ sometimes. Pictures is what really make the thread.

Terry

New poll results as of 5/24/2011 @ 9:00pm EST

5-24-2011poll.jpg

It may have been said a thousand times, but I just started this stainless thing and my lord...smoothest, shiniest cleanest cases I've ever seen. Do they shoot better? I don't know, but they sure are smooth through the press.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buck_Naked</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Before and after on some really nasty cases with stainless steel...

dirty.jpg

soaked in hotwater and lemishine for 20 minutes...

rinsed.jpg

Tumbled with hot water, dawn and lemishine...

tumbled.jpg

</div></div>

Holy cow!! This had to be posted at least twice.

For those of you that always keep the pins in the tumbler. Like Me! Had a guy call me and tell me that he used a paint brush to keep the pins in the tumbler when he was draining off the water. So I gave it a try tonight. Works good at keeping the pins from going down the sink. It also helps to cut the handle off the brush so that it fits inside the drum. I know how we all like pictures.

M1400007.jpg

M1400002.jpg

M1400009.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those of you that always keep the pins in the tumbler. Like Me! Had a guy call me and tell me that he used a paint brush to keep the pins in the tumbler when he was draining off the water. So I gave it a try tonight. Works good at keeping the pins from going down the sink. It also helps to cut the handle off the brush so that it fits inside the drum. I know how we all like pictures.

M1400007.jpg

M1400002.jpg

M1400009.jpg
</div></div>

This thread was started and is visited quite often by the guy who started the whole SS media craze.
Your looking to make a buck off his research and effort's.
I for one feel that it's improper and just being an asshole that your using this thread to advertise yourself for free.
Start your own thread and post away,but stop posting on this thread.

Heads-Up: Rusted Thumler

On a whim a couple of weeks ago I pulled the rubber insert out of my Thumler Model B. It was difficult to remove owing to the rust I found inside the metal tumbler casing. I was horrified and immediately set about sanding, priming, and painting the inside. I still need to add another coat of red Rustoleum before I put it back in service.

I'm not sure there's a simple prevention method. Afterall, just pouring out the water will result in at least a few drops finding their way down between the rubber and the metal.

Being forced to remove the rubber insert after every tumble is going to be a major pain in the butt and add more time and complexity to the process than I care for. Can't argue with the cleaning results, though. Best cleaning method ever and I will never go back to dry, vibratory cleaning.

Re: Heads-Up: Rusted Thumler

I pulled mine late last summer and gave it a quick spray with some paint I had here.
Gonna pull it apart when it get's warmer and tremclad it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gonna pull it apart when it get's warmer and tremclad it.</div></div>

Educate me. What's "tremclad"?

I have a drum that I picked up at a gun show that was pretty bad. I had my buddy sand blast it down to bare metal and gave it to a guy down the road to powder coat it. No rust at all on that one. The other one on the other hand will eventually get the same treatment.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LTC Armor</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gonna pull it apart when it get's warmer and tremclad it.</div></div>

Educate me. What's "tremclad"? </div></div>

Tremclad is a rust paint.

Anyone thought of caulking or using some type of silicone barrier between the rubber liner and the barrel? Yes, this would permanently affix the liner to the barrel, but theoretically if you made a water tight seal no water would be able to get in there (pending you don't have any cracks/holes in the liner) right?

Sealing the liner at the top where the bolts are would not help. At least not with my drums or any others I have seen. All the 15lbs drums I have seen have a 1/4" diameter hole in the bottom of the drum. Even ambient air will eventually rust the interior of the drum from humidity. The only way you can be sure is to do something like I did with my one drum. Sand blast it and have someone powder coat it for $20-$30 bucks.

If I can ever get my hands on anothet model "B" drum cheap. I want to try Rhino lining the inside of the drum and doing away with the rubber liner all together. That is a future project that if I can do will be posted.

Terry

I found a coupon code for the month of June in the "Sniper's Hide PX: Group Buy" section to check out!!!

Got $10 off.

New question.

When doing brass prep.

do you deprime all the time before you tumble.

Reason I am asking is I am now doing some pistol brass and I am tryong to figure out how to make SURE no SS in the flash hole (had two of them) and they cause problems with the Redding depriming pin.

Personally I deprime all the time before cleaning. I also FL resize before cleaning to remove the sizing lube.

Primer pockets and striker noses are generally .060" diameter range and the media is .041 so if you have two of them in one flash hole together it would appear the flash holes are way oversize.

It is not so critical in some of the lower pressure handgun cartridges but if you had a flash hole that large in center fire rifle cases you could get into reverse flow pressure problems very quickly.

Smith & Wesson had a nationwide recall on L Frame revolvers back in mid 80s and they had to retrofit them with smaller diameter striker noses and recoil shields with smaller openings because 357 Magnum ammo primers were reverse flowing into the striker openings and completely locking up the actions.

The K frame and the N frame revolvers had the same diameter striker nose and only the L Frame did it. If memory serves correctly the striker was reduced from .060" diameter to .052" diameter and the problem went away.

Some of the cast bullet shooters open their case flash holes to the .080" range to insure complete ignition in center fire rifles using CAST BULLETS ONLY and if you do this you have to make very sure your loads are low pressure.

Outside of having a drill or pin stock about .065 or maybe as large as .070 you could use as a gage pin to check the flash holes I don't see any other way to insure it doesn't happen.

I look at all flash holes in center fire rifle and occasionally when I see one that even appears oversize for some reason and it goes in tired brass bucket quickly. I don't take any chances.

On the other end of the spectrum you can have strikers that are too small such as the Pattern 14 Enfield. Many guys have come to grief converting these actions and the sharp strikers are notorius for puncturing primers but this was a Brit thing for the 303 cases with Berdan primers and two much smaller flash holes.

US Ordnance Maintenance Kits issued in WW1 time frame came stocked with two size strikers with noses for the Pattern 14 and 1917 Enfields as our ordnance corps realized the Brit design wasn't a good match for 30.06 round and the chances were good for a Brit to come up to a US Ordnance Shop truck with a broken striker to be replaced so we had both striker sizes.

On the Pattern 14s I have I opened the bolts up to about .061 and retrofit 1917 strikers into them and have never had a problem. Had a friend who had a P14 converted to 7MM Magnum and he was getting pierced primers often. I put in a 1917 striker and that problem went away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New question.

When doing brass prep.

do you deprime all the time before you tumble.

Reason I am asking is I am now doing some pistol brass and I am tryong to figure out how to make SURE no SS in the flash hole (had two of them) and they cause problems with the Redding depriming pin. </div></div>

I always deprime first (with the exception of .338LM which is too big for the Lee Universal Deprimer).

However I have also had the situation where two pins have been stuck in the flash hole. I also regularly get pins stuck across the primer pocket. The only solution is a 100% visual inspection of the cases as I'd rather have clean primer pockets even when bulk loading in .44 mag.

Chiller:

I try do deprime all the time. However, with the Pistol brass I pick up from the shoots I do not. And yes, every once in awhile you will get a peice stuck in the anvil of the primer. There is no way to avoid this other than deprime or take a little flashlight and inpsect them before you stick them on the press. If you feel resistance do not force it. Lift the ram and look.

I know it sucks depriming. That is what little boys are for!!LOL

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chiller:

I try do deprime all the time. However, with the Pistol brass I pick up from the shoots I do not. And yes, every once in awhile you will get a peice stuck in the anvil of the primer. There is no way to avoid this other than deprime or take a little flashlight and inpsect them before you stick them on the press. If you feel resistance do not force it. Lift the ram and look.

I know it sucks depriming. That is what little boys are for!!LOL

Terry </div></div>

That might work.......

After bumping into this thread, I've been running two Thumler Model B's (one regular speed, one high speed) and I couldn't be happier with the results.

I'm mostly tumbling .223 rounds - I am sticking to the recommended limit of 2 lbs or 175 cases (of .223) per batch.

I am frankly having difficulty telling the difference in efficacy between the high speed and regular speed motor (the high speed has twice as many RPM's, IIRC). After about 2.5 hours in either one, my cases are pretty much done and the primer pockets are acceptably clean, more often than not they are squeaky clean. Hell, if you don't care about primer pockets, they are basically done after 45 minutes.

Recipe is pretty simple: 1 gallon warm water, 1-2 tablespoons of dishwashing liquid, and 1/2 teaspoon of lemishine and five pounds of stainless tumbling media.

Bummed to hear about the rusting tumbler interiors (underneath the rubber sleeve). On the bottom rim I'm noticing some rusting myself on the exposed finished metal.

Re: drying. After rinsing a few times and separating media (the media separator sold by stainlessmediatumbling.com is awesome), I'll dunk the brass in a bucket of warm water for a final rinse, then empty the bucket in a kitchen strainer over a five gallon bucket. I'll run my hands through the brass to shake some of the excess water out, then run a blow dryer on high heat over the brass, periodically running my hand through the brass to rotate it. The brass dries very quickly this way (2 minutes) as it conducts heat from the blow dryer. No need to stick it in the oven.

I'm happy, but couldn't help but think if they could just make these things a little bigger for us bulk shooters.

I'm awfully tempted to pull the trigger on this one. A 65 lb monster. 40 lbs of stainless tumbling media and 1,000 rounds of Lake City brass.
grin.gif

65T_WinCE_.jpg

Wow, way out of my price range though I do know a guy that does lots of shooting. He has a 60 pounder and runs 25 lbs of media and 25 lbs of brass at a whack.

With media, water and brass I could see this thing giving guys hernias ! ! ! ! !

My Mod B has been converted to a 1/5hp high speed and it gets up and runs.