• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

Re: Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30 cal slut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm happy, but couldn't help but think if they could just make these things a little bigger for us bulk shooters.

I'm awfully tempted to pull the trigger on this one. A 65 lb monster. 40 lbs of stainless tumbling media and 1,000 rounds of Lake City brass. </div></div>

Hey Slut, it's good to see that you're over here, too...

I thought you were kidding when you posted a link to this monster over at M4C.net.

Now, can somebody tell me why I can't use a cheap little cement mixer instead of an expensive big tumbler?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bimmer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30 cal slut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm happy, but couldn't help but think if they could just make these things a little bigger for us bulk shooters.

I'm awfully tempted to pull the trigger on this one. A 65 lb monster. 40 lbs of stainless tumbling media and 1,000 rounds of Lake City brass. </div></div>

Hey Slut, it's good to see that you're over here, too...

I thought you were kidding when you posted a link to this monster over at M4C.net.

Now, can somebody tell me why I can't use a cheap little cement mixer instead of an expensive big tumbler?

</div></div>

Review page #32 of this thread. Already guys tumbling in cement mixers. PM Brycer and he can tell you how its working for him.

Terry

New Poll results as of 6/15/2011 @ 7:00pm EST.

6-15-2011poll.jpg

One thing I've noticed lately is that the inside of my .308 cases are not as clean as they used to be, the exterior is still very clean. The only changes I have made is whatever dish soap my wife has present by the sink. Lemishine is still part of the concoction. Anybody else have seen this?

I go 2.5-3 hours and let it go at that. There is no real need for the case to be polished on the inside.

However, if that is what your looking for run just your media as a cleaning cycle for the media. Over time the carbon will bond with the media if you do not rinse it well. Run just the media for about 2-3 hours with liberal soap and a teaspoon of Lemishine. Rinse the media extremely well and see if that helps with your issue.

Terry

Since I saw it was just mentioned. I've got one of those....

IMG00565-20110613-1434.jpg

I bought 4x Model B high speeds and got tired of all the wingnuts per batch. The thing underneath is a commercial bun warmer for a restaurant. Maxes out at 275 degrees and is perfect for drying large batches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since I saw it was just mentioned. I've got one of those....

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-SuESM...110613-1434.jpg

I bought 4x Model B high speeds and got tired of all the wingnuts per batch. The thing underneath is a commercial bun warmer for a restaurant. Maxes out at 275 degrees and is perfect for drying large batches. </div></div>

Overkill, but I love it! Schweet!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since I saw it was just mentioned. I've got one of those....

IMG00565-20110613-1434.jpg

I bought 4x Model B high speeds and got tired of all the wingnuts per batch. The thing underneath is a commercial bun warmer for a restaurant. Maxes out at 275 degrees and is perfect for drying large batches. </div></div>

Holy crap that is a BEAST! When I start reloading in WAYbigger qtys, I might consider this bad boy.

Been using this setup for over a year now and love having ultra clean brass.
(Inside & out)

I like that paint brush trick.
Will be trying that one out for sure.

The only issue I'm having is that my brass is tarnishing before I can get it dry.
I'm using a Teaspoon of Dawn & a 1/2 Teaspoon of Lemishine with 1 Gallon of hot tap water.
After four hours, the brass is as bright and shiny as can be.
I rinse several times and then put the cases in a bowl full of piping hot tap water as they are removed from the tumbler.
From there, they are dumped onto a towel and tossed between dry towels until dry.
The brass is dark and tarnished after the 5 minutes it takes to dry them.

Anybody have the same thing happen?
Suggestions?

I'm thinking about adding some baking soda to my rinse bowl to see if that helps.
My logic is that since the Lemishine uses an acid, the baking soda should neutralize any residual acids.
The alternative is to put the brass in my vibratory tumbler with walnut hulls and some Flitz for a few minutes to brighten them up.
Most of the time I just roll on with dull brass being happy that it is clean.

in checking in or watching the poll results I am curious who says this method does not clean as well as Ultrasonic? I have gone back in the thread and there has been a small but real group who does not feel it is at least as good as Ultrasonic..

Please explain?

I just picked up a model #100 tumbler locally off a housewife for $25.00!
Used once in original box.
I have mentioned numerious time's about oiling the motor, and this motor has the sticker right on it.
A picture is worth 1000 word's.....

motor004.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just picked up a model #100 tumbler locally off a housewife for $25.00!
I have mentioned numerious time's about oiling the motor, and this motor has the sticker right on it.

motor004.jpg

</div></div>

You should be ashamed of yourself taking advantage of the lady!
shocked.gif

Actually I am disappointed that you did not try to talk her down to a even $20! Say, you only had a Jackson in the wallet. She problay would have taken it.

I'll give you $40 plus the S&H right now!
wink.gif

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just picked up a model #100 tumbler locally off a housewife for $25.00!

motor004.jpg

</div></div>

hate you.....

where do you oil it?

Do we need to put fur around it for you!
grin.gif

Little round hole at the top and bottom of the picture.

Terry

Taken from Fasco web page "Fasco Facts'.

I also spoke a long time ago with a techy from Fasco regarding lubrication. He told me once every couple months with Mobil One Syn 5w20 would work. A couple drops down the holes with the motor running.

lubrication.jpg

Do we need to put fur around for you!
whistle.gif
blush.gif
shocked.gif
crazy.gif

I offered $15.00 but she told me she had $150 in it for her daughter.
And when she answered the door there wasn't much left to the imagination
wink.gif

It was worth the view.

Thanks for posting that image - I had a feeling those were the holes but that confirmed it
smile.gif
Great garage sale find by the way.

Thong bikini's are nice on "older" women who still have the figure and gut's to wear one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CardiacKid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for posting that image - I had a feeling those were the holes but that confirmed it
smile.gif
Great garage sale find by the way. </div></div>

Yeah, that was a good photo to put on. I should have done that awhile back when that question came up.

Terry

Here ya go! This is typically what I do once every three months or so depending on how much I am running it. You can put a few drop down thru those holes and it will work also.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sgJ_WSeUEZQ"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sgJ_WSeUEZQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Terry

I also found just a drop on each one of the delrin axle bearings/spacers took out any squeaking. Really made the whole unit a lot quieter - the only thing you can hear is the slosh in the tumbler.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been using this setup for over a year now and love having ultra clean brass.
(Inside & out)

I like that paint brush trick.
Will be trying that one out for sure.

The only issue I'm having is that my brass is tarnishing before I can get it dry.
I'm using a Teaspoon of Dawn & a 1/2 Teaspoon of Lemishine with 1 Gallon of hot tap water.
After four hours, the brass is as bright and shiny as can be.
I rinse several times and then put the cases in a bowl full of piping hot tap water as they are removed from the tumbler.
From there, they are dumped onto a towel and tossed between dry towels until dry.
The brass is dark and tarnished after the 5 minutes it takes to dry them.

Anybody have the same thing happen?
Suggestions?

Most of the time I just roll on with dull brass being happy that it is clean.
</div></div>

This.

I am having the exact same problem. Phil, did the cold water work for you? I have yet to try that. I was hoping for more input on this problem.

2 tbls Ivory
1/4 tsp LemiShine
Cold Water to 1" below top

Rinse out bubbles (cold water)
Separate brass from pins
Rinse brass in HOT water

Dry with the normal procedures

What am I doing wrong fellas? Its defiantly clean. Just looses its shine really quick

So with my latest purchase of the thumbler 100, how much media should I try for a batch to see how it work's combared to my model B?
I bought it for the motor but decided I'm in a great position to try another thumbler to check the result's.

Guys thanks for the heads up about the rusting inside of the barrels.

Pulled out the rubber liner in mine and what do you know... rust!

Its still early days, and I can easily fix it up. Shame it needs to be done however... if the factory simply sprayed the entire barrel, this wouldnt be so bad.

Tarnishing of Brass. First off, I am not a chemist.

I have been using this system for 5+ years now to clean my Brass. All of said time I have been using the hottest tap water I could get for both tumbling and rinsing. I have never had the tarnishing issue ever.

There are two things that will cause brass to Tarnish. Chemical reactions and Oxidation! I beleive from experiance that this is a Chemical reaction from low level Ph of your water source.

Where I live I have city water and the PH runs between 7.0 and 7.4 out of the tap. I know this becuase I test it for the fish tanks. Low level PH is acidic and will for sure have a effect on you brass. Try distilled water for rinsing your brass.

One Gallon of water with a 40S&W case of Lemishine is 6.0 or less. My TEst kit only goes from 6.0 to 7.6.

Below is a picture of a PH test of one gallon of hot water with one 40S&W of Lemishine. It is for sure acidic and less than 6.0 on the PH scale.
Lemishinewater.jpg

Below this is my tap water! It runs in the 7.0 to 7.4 PH.
Mytapwater.jpg

You can get this test kit relatively cheap at Wal_mart in the Fish supply section. It is very easy to do, fill the vile up to the 5ml line and put Three (3) drops of the test solution into the vile. Shake and look at the color change.
This is the test kit I use:
PHtestkit.jpg

It is actually a waste to use distilled water then add Lemishine to it. Use your tap water to tumble along with the Lemishine, use distilled water (7.0 to 7.6) Level PH water to rinse well.

Below is a PH chart for reference:
PHscale.jpg

I had a buddy that I converted to SS media that lived out in the Country. He had well water that was on the 6.0 lower Ph level. He too was having it do this. He now uses a Neutral PH water to rinse his brass and this problem has gone away.
He does not buy distilled water but uses a Nuetral Regulater for fish tanks.
See below:
neutralregulator.jpg

This too can be obtained at Wal-Mart I beleive. If not, try a pet supply store for sure. One Teaspoon for 10-20 gallons per directions will give you perfect 7.0 PH water.

Try this and report.

Hope this helps. And if there are other people please report on your PH of your tap water if your having this issue. Together we can confirm this for sure.

Hope this helps.

Terry

Just as a final note! My buddy used old one gallon milk jugs to store is PH nuetral water. He uses 1/8 teaspoon for every gallon. Add the water and Neutral regulator and shake it up really well and let sit. Test to verfiy your results.

You may not need to use the whole 1/8 teaspoon depending on your water quality.

Terry you sir are a fountain of knowledge!!

I will give this a try in the next day or so when I am off work and get back to you with my results.

Thanks very much again for all the info, and for convincing me to try this whole SS method haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I beleive from experiance that this is a Chemical reaction from low level Ph of your water source.</div></div>
My thoughts exactly Terry! I'm having the same problem with some brass (LC). Winchester doesn't show as much. So, for my rinse tub I'll get the fish stuff.

Back with my water PH results!

My vial actually looks a whole lot like your Terry, an Aqua Blue color, maybe closer to the higher end of the scale than 7 though. Could high PH have the same effect as low PH? I am in no way a Chemist haha

Here are the pictures of the results
d08a866d0bd565fcd94e96e42aed0cc27b04ef5a342dc3bbcaa639f9b5f45abf6g.jpg

c60e6b17f32c0598f7c43e737b70b9c3f5cb626ed064deb0db24ff82ea5f1ecc6g.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JonnyHawes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Back with my water PH results!

My vial actually looks a whole lot like your Terry, an Aqua Blue color, maybe closer to the higher end of the scale than 7 though. Could high PH have the same effect as low PH? I am in no way a Chemist haha

Here are the pictures of the results
d08a866d0bd565fcd94e96e42aed0cc27b04ef5a342dc3bbcaa639f9b5f45abf6g.jpg

c60e6b17f32c0598f7c43e737b70b9c3f5cb626ed064deb0db24ff82ea5f1ecc6g.jpg

</div></div>

I do not think that your water is the problem. Higher PH would neutalize any acid reactions occuring. Something else is going on, what I am not sure. Can you post pictures of the brass that has lost its shine.

Terry

Maybe its some thing in the towel ,soap residue or softener . Arnie

I have a thumlers model B and it has the slow motor .The rubber belt was stretched to where it was slipping so i was thinking of making a larger drive pulley . Instead i put two fat o rings on the pully and it made the speed increase and also no slipping of the belt .Arnie

Terry,

I actually shot the cases in question today haha So I have no pics of those. My theory was I was going to re-tumble them and show you that. But wouldnt you know that BOTH batches I did today came out spotless.

The only thing I changed was that I used a 9mm case to measure the Lemi-Shine vs the 1/4 tsp on the directions. And I also used the "Towel Tumble" method you suggested to dry them.

I let them sit a few hours to see if they would fade, and they are still sparkling.

I appreciate all your help sir! Maybe it was the amount of Lemi-Shine? Or perhaps my drying technique was lacking?

Either way, I am definitely a happy man today!

Now that you say it Jonny,

I think that I may have been using too much Lemishine as well.
My "shake" was probably more like three or four 9mm cases worth.

Anyone have this result from using too much Lemishine?

More is not better with lemishine. I use a 40S&W case and could probaly get away with 9mm case full.

Its working so I will not change it!

Terry

Do you let the stainless media dry completely after use or do you just leave it wet and put the top back on in between uses?

I just leave it wet in my tumbler or in my plastic seperator.

Terry

New Poll Results as of 6/23/2011 @ 9:30pm EST.

6-23-11poll.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: arnie19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a thumlers model B and it has the slow motor .The rubber belt was stretched to where it was slipping so i was thinking of making a larger drive pulley . Instead i put two fat o rings on the pully and it made the speed increase and also no slipping of the belt .Arnie </div></div>

Arnie, can you post pictures of you modification for everyone to see what you did?

Terry

Cleaning silencer baffles with a Thumler's Rotary High Speed Tumbler.

I fired 200 rounds of CCI Green Tag ammunition out of my pistol equipped with an AAC Element silencer. This ammo was purchased in bulk years ago. It’s subsonic and like all CCI ammo, it burns clean.

dirtycan1.jpg

I pushed out the baffles which needed thumb pressure to remove. 200 rounds would be a good round count to test if the rotary tumbler using stainless media could clean the baffles. Here are the baffles.

dirtybaffles.jpg

They are dirty enough to use a bronze brush or Scotch Brite, but I didn’t want to spend several hours of tedious hand work, cleaning the baffles the old way. To be clear, I cleaned the silencer tube and end caps the old way with solvent. I didn’t want to damage the exterior finish. These parts are not that hard to clean anyway.

To prep the baffles, I lightly brushed the baffles with a dry nylon brush to knock off the loose debris. Then I turned to the aid of the tumbler.

I purchased the tumbler and kit thru this company.

tumbler006.jpg

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/

I added 2 tablespoons of dawn dishwater detergent and 1/4 teaspoon of Lemi-shine detergent into the drum. Then I placed the baffles and media into the drum. I filled the drum ¾ “ to the top with cold tap water.

I ran the tumbler for 4 hours. There was no damage to the baffles caused by tumbling. They were about 95% clean. A few baffles were 100% clean. The baffles looked new looking. Simply stunning! Of the baffles not perfectly clean, I spent a few minutes picking the few spots remaining with a tiny screwdriver. The lead didn’t stick and mostly flicked right off.

So, next time either run the tumbler another hour or so, or shoot it a little less. Either way I found an easy way to clean up my silencer baffles.

One note on the tumbler. I added a piece of wood about ½ inch thick to support the rear of the motor. Without the wood support the motor was bouncing some and it was vibrating. After the support was added, as the machine was running cleaning up the baffles, it was very quiet. An added bonus is a quiet machine!

I also pulled out the rubber liner and wiped it dry underneth. I have read stories of rust under the liner. So the simple 30 seconds of extra work will protect the machine from internal rusting. I air dried the stainless media after I rinsed it well with cold water. Ready for the next time!

No more brushing with solvent soaked fingers. I’m very pleased. This tumbling method is a good alternative to the dip.

tumbler007.jpg