• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

Re: Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

New poll results as of 7/20/2011 @ 8:45pm EST

7-20-11poll.jpg

Terry

RoosterShooter:

Where do you buy Extra fine Corn Cob for $4 per 15lbs?

I have looked in my pet stores and its a whole lot more than that. I use it in my vibratory to clean off sizing lube,

Terry

Unfortunately if clean brass is exposed to the air it is going to tarnish depending on local conditions. The soaking in Lemishine apparently leaves a protective coating for lack of a better term on it.
Putting them in freezer bags may well keep the exposure down or the application of carnauba wax. Anything to block air from getting to them.
My father was a hand engraver and he did 8 1/2X11 copper plates back during the war and he had them coated with lacquer and they look new to this day. One plate he did not do is black.

He was very good and back in 30s he was offered a job with the Treasury Dept to engrave money plates so you can imagine the workmanship these have. I am just glad he had them coated.

I have several hundred 30-30 cases and no 30-30 so I FL sized them all and tumble cleaned them and put them in 30 cal ammo can and they still look good.

The ones I store in plastic coffee cans are not air tight and they will turn as well.

The guys at Winchester told me they rinse them in a chemical with 3 letters like DHT????( not sure at all if that is even close) to keep them shiney. Anybody know what those letters are?

Thank you gk80!
I had 4 coffee cans full of brass that I had done previously before I learned about putting Lemi-Shine in the rinse water.
Took that brass and was able to shine it all up in under an hour total.
Just let it soak in Lemi-Shine treated water for 10 minutes.
Drained off the water then put them in a laundry mesh bag,
RCPU210_214200730458_full.JPG

and then put the bags full of brass on my AC unit outside to dry.

The brass turned bright within seconds of being in the water.
Twenty minutes outside on the AC unit and they were dry.

I think that we may be close to perfecting this whole process...

I just ordered 10 lbs of pins hoping I can use them like I do walnut hull media in my small concrete mixer so I can do larger batches, has anybody else try this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlliedArmory</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry everyone, but I'm going to be a naysayer on this one.
wink.gif

I've got something even better than $30 for 5# cleaning media.

I performed this just this morning after reading this thread before breakfast. Here are the steps that I took.

1) Extra fine corn cob media in Thumblers Tumbler. - <span style="font-weight: bold">$4 for 15#</span>

2) 2 oz. of Flitz Tumbler Media Additive - <span style="font-weight: bold">$6 a bottle (lasts me a year)</span>

3) 45 minutes in the tumbler with 1/3 of a drier sheet cut up into @ 1" squares.

This was brass that an Ammo Handler at Ft. Bragg sent me a couple of weeks ago. If you know military range brass from a M249 ... you know dirty.
wink.gif

Think I'll stick with my recipe. It's a heck of a lot easier and cheaper. Work smart ... not hard. I think I'll stick with the corn cob and Flitz Media Additive. All SS media is doing is reinventing the wheel. Also, I don't have any wet cases to dry out like those of you who use water and LemiShine.

milsurp223.jpg

</div></div>

Insides and primer pockets clean? </div></div>

I have been tumbling with either corn cob or walnut hulls forever, and I can tell you if you tumble with the primers in the out the inside of the case is not clean, outside yes, inside no. If you decap, the pocket is clean but you have to inspect every flash hole and knock out the stuck media, and the inside of the case still isn't clean. Im anxious to try it, hope it's it not too cumbersome!

Dr. Phil:

The McMaster Carr knobs are too high 1 1/8". When my tumbler is on my base there is only 1" clear from the tumbler lid to the vertical side of the tumbler base. I tried those knobs awhile back and they fouled the base.

The knobs I have listed are only 9/16" high and miss the side on the tumbler base. They are 1.30" in diameter also.

They may clear on your base but I would measure your clearance from the face of the lid to the face of the tumbler base and make sure your 1" or less.

Description as called on McFeelys: 1/4-20 Female, Fluted Anti Vibration Knob, 1-3/8" diameter, 9/16" high

Terry

without Question best way to clean brass, but one thing I did wrong at first was, champfer cases before cleaning, had to touch up champfer's now that I have the proper sequence, my brass looks -better- than new

So today while a batch was running, I remembered reading a few pages back that someone was using Denatured Alcohol to dry their cases nearly instantly. My drying process of the Towel + Dryer Cycle takes about 20 minutes, and I was looking to shave off some time.

So while it tumbled, ran out to Wal-Mart, grabbed a quart of Denatured Alcohol for ~$6. After I rinsed the soap out of my cases, gave them a quick dip in a bowl of the stuff, and then dumped em in a towel. Shot em with a hair dryer for about 32.7 seconds and they were BONE dry.

This is my new drying method! Ready to reload in under 30 minutes!

Is "denatured alcohol" the same as Isopropyl or rubbing alcohol? I use rubbing alcohol which works as you described and costs a lot less than $6 a quart.

So i got my order from McFeely's .I ordered 12 knobs for my two drums and got 120 knobs . 12 packs of 10 .Arnie

The cheap alcohol you buy has about 20 or 30 % water in it so beware of water droplets in the cases if you load soon after soaking .Arnie

lots of great info on this thread, I have been researching reloading topics for a few months now for when i eventually get started on the process. I had run into that website for stainless cleaning and decided that was the way i wanted to clean brass. I'm glad i haven't made any purchases yet because upon further research i discovered this thread on the topic and learned a few things about the process and the people involved.

I was wondering if i could get the info for the media source, so that i can start collecting the required items needed for when I'm ready to start reloading that way ill only need a few key things. I'm also gonna get some of those anti vibration nuts, those seem like a great idea.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: arnie19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So i got my order from McFeely's .I ordered 12 knobs for my two drums and got 120 knobs . 12 packs of 10 .Arnie </div></div>

Wanna sell a couple bag's?
If yes PM me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blayz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering if i could get the info for the media source, so that i can start collecting the required items needed for when I'm ready to start reloading that way ill only need a few key things. I'm also gonna get some of those anti vibration nuts, those seem like a great idea. </div></div>

Check your PM's!

Terry

New Poll Results as of 7/31/2011 @ 8:30pm EST

7-31-11poll.jpg

thx suasponte for sending me the info but i don't think i received it, the only thing in my messages is the welcome msg i get from joining the forums. is there something else i'm suppose to do in order to get messages or do i need to look somewhere else for it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blayz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thx suasponte for sending me the info but i don't think i received it, the only thing in my messages is the welcome msg i get from joining the forums. is there something else i'm suppose to do in order to get messages or do i need to look somewhere else for it? </div></div>

Check your PM's again, info resent!

Terry

awsome man thx, i got it this time.

ive been on the stainless bandwagon for a while. so heres my 10 cent. IT IS UNSURPASSED. hands down the best, everytime you lay em out to dry you cant quit saying "they look brand new" and no more media in flasholes. i even got the old schoolers runnin em down here

I have my tumbler and SS media on the way to me now. How is everyone decapping their brass before tumbling to get the primer pockets clean? Single stage press with a universal decapping die or other method?

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FL_Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have my tumbler and SS media on the way to me now. How is everyone decapping their brass before tumbling to get the primer pockets clean? Single stage press with a universal decapping die or other method?

Thanks. </div></div>

Single stage press with Lee Universal de-primer for me, all cartridges except for the .338LM which is too large for the Lee de-primer.

If you look at the Black Powder cartridge sites you can find decappers that work real slick .Most are made for 40 or 45 calibers so you would have to have one made for your smaller neck or copy one for your self .I made mine for 22 and up. Arnie

You guys have sold me on trying the stainless steel over my ultrasonic.

Suasponte, can you send me the contact info for the man with the media?

Thanks

Anyone know the optimum number of .308 cases in a Thumbler Mod. B with 5 lbs. of stainless media? Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: judgedelta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know the optimum number of .308 cases in a Thumbler Mod. B with 5 lbs. of stainless media? Thanks </div></div>

I use a 1 gallon bucket as my measuring cup.
When it's full it's time to tumble.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpc1027</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys have sold me on trying the stainless steel over my ultrasonic.

Suasponte, can you send me the contact info for the man with the media?

Thanks
</div></div>

Pm sent!

New poll results as of 9/14/2011 @ 12:00pm EST

9-14-2011poll.jpg

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: judgedelta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know the optimum number of .308 cases in a Thumbler Mod. B with 5 lbs. of stainless media? Thanks </div></div>

120case of 308's
240case of 223's & 45's
318cases of 40S&W
342cases of 9mm

Terry

Well got my tumbler up and running this weekend that I got from Sinclair's and I'm on my last batch of 5.56.

So far I've done 220 rounds of .308 and about 550 5.56 and everything's turned out fantastic.

Some things I've learned are that out of the 220 rounds of .308 I did have 3 that had pins stuck in the flash hole, not a big deal.

I ran the 5.56 with the primers in to see if leaving that step out will speed up the process down the road as I plan to clean the primer pocket anyways.

I bought the knobs from Mcfeely's and they work great well worth the $6.00.

Just so you know that with the Tumbler package from Sinclairs the stainless media is magnetic.

I'll probably get a media separator as hand grabbing and rinsing cases two or three at a time is kind of time consuming but it does make sure you check the flash holes right away.

What are you using to clean your case lube off after resizing ? I'm having a hard time picturing running them the same way in the thumblers again. I don't have a different tumbler to use so am I better off just wiping the cases down ? Using one shot right now just so you know.

Here's some pictures for your enjoyment.

5.56 before up front and tumbled behind
4sd4p5.jpg

.308 tumbled on the left once fired on the right
mv2tmq.jpg

.308 tumbled on the left once fired on the right
2e3d1c5.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Another use for Lemi Shine...</span></span>

A while back, someone at Redding told me I could get their wax off easily by soaking the lubed cases in a gallon of water with a small amount of lemon juice. I have done this and it worked well.

This weekend, we had no RealLemon nor real lemons in the house. So, I got to thinking about the Lemi Shine. On the back label, it says "Made with: real fruit acids..." and decided to try it.

I put 100 .223 cases in a gallon jug of warm (not hot) water with 2/3 of a .40S&W case of Lemi Shine and shook it up real well. Let it sit for 30 minutes, rinsed well with "cold" tap water, and then the wax and neck lube came off easily with the wipe of a paper towel.

For all those who pm'd asking for Marks contact info.

Pm's have all been answered.

However, Mark was a Camp Perry and is out of town for a couple weeks. Not sure if he has access to emails. If you do not hear anything right away he will get in touch as soon as he is able to. I will try to call him tomorrow as I have been out of town also.

Terry

I sent Mark a message yesterday and he has been sending me responses in the evenings (though YMMV). I wasn't expecting this, and while appreciated, I wouldn't blame him if he was of of touch during the competition. He definitely seems like a stand up guy, and I look forward to doing business with him.

You couldn't ask for a better guy to deal with, and he's a wealth of knowledge also!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Merc8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where can I get mine? </div></div>

Pm sent for the contact Info.

Terry

Well I finally got on board and am trying my first batch of brass right now. I waited a while because I didn't want to spend the money but when sunclair had the thumler model b high speed and 5 lbs of stainless media on sale for $200 and the a 10% off coupon I couldn't pass up $180 to get started.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MarcusT_700ss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I finally got on board and am trying my first batch of brass right now. I waited a while because I didn't want to spend the money but when sunclair had the thumler model b high speed and 5 lbs of stainless media on sale for $200 and the a 10% off coupon I couldn't pass up $180 to get started. </div></div>

I got in on the same deal and it just arrived. I'll probably prime and paint the inside of the drum before the first use based on what others have experienced with rust under the liner after getting wet. It looks like the factory painted the inside except for the bottom so I'll just touch it up.

It runs real smooth. Can't wait to do the first batches of brass but I still need to run some cycles with just the media and soap to clean it up. It came pretty dirty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a pic of my latest batch.

DSCF1759.jpg

DSCF1761.jpg

DSCF1760.jpg

DSCF1762.jpg

DSCF1763.jpg

</div></div>
What do you use for a tumbler? A cement truck?

many plus's all listed here, & I will never clean any other way, that being said to say this, dont use it - after - inside outside champher step, I used to clean lube off after all steps but found out with this cleaning system you want to save these two steps for last, most here have more exsperience than i do, allready knew this -I learned the hard way, but it took just a light touch up to fix my mistake -learning exsperience- thanks again for letting me in on such a great product - & a great place to learn about precision shooting the Hide

I put all 5 case's into my tumbler at once for 2 hour's and got them pretty clean.
Man were they loud!
But I noticed because of their weight there is some scratching and denting at the bottom of them all.
I then put them back into the tumbler 1 at a time for 2 hour's for the final time.

I wonder if my 105mm howitzer case is still around? But, I guess it wouldn't fit in my coffee can tumbler anyway!

How long are you guys running media only cleaning sessions between brass batches?

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FL_Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How long are you guys running media only cleaning sessions between brass batches?

Thanks. </div></div>

I don't.