• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

Re: Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

Just received the ¼ anti vibration nuts from McFeely's that Terry recommended. Also got the $1 shipping.
Looks like a great addition to the Thumblers Tumbler. Always worried about losing the small wing nuts and washers in the deep sink, these nuts are two large to go down the drain.
Should speed up the process some and just another great idea from Terry.
Gotta be the best way ever to clean brass.

I received my stainless steel media yesterday from THE SOURCE, "MARK" yesterday. I met up with Mark as he traveled across the state of Ohio after leaving the matches at Camp Perry. MARK IS AN ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL PERSON EVERYONE!!!

Mark is the ORIGINATOR of this process. The other guys are just KNOCKOFF ARTISTS trying to capitalize on the developmental efforts of others. Terry (suasponte) is aiding Mark and others with the promotion of this method by there work with this thread.

****NOTE!!!! SEE THE FOLLOWING FOR THE STAINLESS STEEL MEDIA CONTACT INFO:

****You can contact Sniper's Hide Member "SUASPONTE" (Terry) and he will P.M. or e-mail you Marks contact info to enable you to purchase the MEDIA from Mark, THE ORIGINATOR of the process. Mark has requested that the info NOT BE INTERNET POSTED, PLEASE, AGAIN PLEASE, ABOVE ALL RESPECT HIS WISHES.******

Marks STAINLESS STEEL MEDIA IS MAGNETIC, and the Newer is .042 DIA X .252/.255 IN LENGTH, this aids with the stuck in the case problems. Mark's Magnetic media does not rust and can be stored inside the tumbler drum wet. Being magnetic helps you separate the media from the brass. You just put the magnet inside a SANDWICH BAGGIE and then pull the magnet away from the bags side and the COLLECTED media will drop off.

NEW STAINLESS MEDIA should probably be tumbled ALONE with NO BRASS the FIRST TIME to help Di-Burr and clean the media.

My Thumber's Tumbler Model "B" High Speed 3000 RPM motor speed and 40 RPM drum rotation, 110 Volt,(220/240 Volt International models are available) was purchased from Buffalo Arms in Idaho. It's due here Tuesday.

I have acquired a spray can Rust-oleum Red paint to paint the inside of the drum to prevent rust. Powder-Coating is an option I think better used on a USED DRUM and not a new one. Use Masking tape & newspaper to cover the outside of the drum. If the RUST-OLEUM spray can spits or sputters paint after SHAKING, SHAKING, AND SHAKING, place it in a pan of warm/hot water from the tap for awhile, and then shake, shake the can some more. Paint 2-3 coats per the cans instructions. NOTE*** Clean and Spray Primer the drum first before painting the inside.

I have on-hand the 1/4"-20 FEMALE FLUTED ANTI-VIBRATION KNOBS, 6 (six) required to replace the stock Wing-nuts for faster and easier operation, plus they won't go down the drain. Terry suggested these, and I acquired them from McFeeley's. mcfeeleys.com
The knobs SKU number is JKA-2500
These knobs are 1-3/8 O.D. x 9/16 thick, larger O.D. or thicker knobs will not work due to clearance problems.

I ordered from the internet 3/16" thick CLEAR LEXAN plastic to make a clear side-plate to be able to check the cleaning process without having to open the drum up.
Plate will be 9" O.D. x 8" Bolt Circle for six (6) 17/64 holes (1/4" clearance) 60 degrees apart. 6 x 60 degrees = 360 Degrees Circle)

I plan on making another plate for clean-out using an ONEIDA FINE MESH 4" STRAINER model 7822 from Wal-Mart. Media will not pass through it, as I just checked. I plan to mount it with the strainer basket passing outward through the Lexan and NOT having the basket being inside the drum. I also will add a hose fill/flush hole. Thanks to ideas from Terry.

The Mix:
5 lbs Mark's Stainless Steel Media. (NO more on this size tumbler, to prevent motor overload)
Approx. One (1) Gallon Warm Water. Water weighs approx 8lb/gal.
1-2 tablespoons of DAWN Dish-Washing Liquid.
1 Teaspoon Lemi-Shine Dish-Washing Rinse.
Your dirty Di-Capped Brass (2 lbs worth of load weight, NO MORE)

ESTIMATED BRASS LOADS:
.308 .4OZ 80 CASES ARE APPROX. 2 LBS.
.223 .2oz 160 Cases
.45ACP .2oz 160 Cases
.40S&W .15oz 212 Cases
9MM .14oz 228 Cases
THE ABOVE ARE BRASS LOAD GUIDELINES

You can EXPERIMENT with total tumbling time, maybe start with 3-4 hours.
If NO SOAP BUBBLES are present when tumbling is complete, you need more soap.
THE HARDNESS OF YOUR WATER WILL AFFECT THIS.

I have a "Doit" COUNTDOWN DIGITAL TIMER, outlet timer control, easy 1 push button use for 1-2-4 or an 8 hour setting.
SKU Number 520462 and PURCHASED ONLINE.

DO NOT OVERLOAD YOUR TUMBLER, weight the drum empty, then the total loaded weight of the drum is 15 lbs more than that so you don't hurt the motor. WEIGH IT, DON'T GUESS THE WEIGHT, THEN YOU REALLY KNOW.

The motor needs occasional lubrication, Mobile-One synthetic 5W-20W is a suggestion. You can use a small 2 oz Lube-All plastic bottle dispenser with a long skinny nozzle to reach inside the motor case. You should lube with the motor running. ***(A video describing the motor lubrication method is among these threads somewhere.)***

After tumbling you need to RINSE-RINSE-RINSE, the Black is Carbon. After rinsing you separate media from the brass, this is where the Magnetic deal really comes into use. The brass needs to dry next.

Some people oven dry, dry in the Sun, use a dehydrator, use a drying box that they home built, and others use an ALCOHOL DIPPING METHOD.
The ALCOHOL DIP uses 91-99% strength alcohol, DO NOT USE DRUGSTORE 70% STRENGTH. You shake/towel dry most of the water off of the cases and then put them into a bucket/container of the 91-99% strength alcohol. Take them out and shake, they will be dry very quickly and be ready to reload.
The alcohol will eventually become waterlogged and have to be replaced.
***ALWAYS RETURN THE ALCOHOL TO ITS ORIGINAL CONTAINER FOR STORAGE.***
*** ALWAYS BE MINDFUL OF THE FIRE HAZARD ASSOCIATED WITH USING THIS METHOD.****

I've gleaned the above information from the many pages of threads concerning this method of BRASS CASE TUMBLING. I HOPE IT HELPS SOMEONE.

Many, Many thanks to MARK AND TERRY for their dedicated efforts with this subject. This great deal of concentrated information has been a God's Send.

Good Luck To All With Great Shooting, And Even Better Luck With Tumbling Via This Method Of Stainless Steel Media and a Rock Rotary Tumbler.

MOONMAN (Soon To Be Stainless Steel Media Tumbling)

Big thanks to Moonman for consolidating all of that information! I have been pouring through the pages of this thread for tips and how to's for several days. My tumbler is due on Monday and I mailed a MO to Mark earlier this week. I'm looking forward to getting started.

Thanks to Terry and Mark for turning all of us on to this great process and for the support that they provide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moonman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I received my stainless steel media yesterday from THE SOURCE, "MARK" yesterday. I met up with Mark as he traveled across the state of Ohio after leaving the matches at Camp Perry. MARK IS AN ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL PERSON EVERYONE!!!

Mark is the ORIGINATOR of this process. The other guys are just KNOCKOFF ARTISTS trying to capitalize on the developmental efforts of others. Terry (suasponte) is aiding Mark and others with the promotion of this method by there work with this thread.

You can contact susaponte and he will P.M. or e-mail you Marks contact info to enable you to purchase the MEDIA from Mark, THE ORIGINATOR of the process. Mark has requested that the info NOT BE INTERNET POSTED, PLEASE ABOVE ALL RESPECT HIS WISHES.

Marks STAINLESS STEEL MEDIA IS MAGNETIC, and the Newer is .042 DIA X .252/.255 IN LENGTH, this aids with the stuck in the case problems. Mark's Magnetic media does not rust and can be stored inside the tumbler drum wet. Being magnetic helps you separate the media from the brass. You just put the magnet inside a SANDWICH BAGGIE and then pull the magnet away from the bags side and the COLLECTED media will drop off.

NEW MEDIA should probably be tumbled ALONE the FIRST TIME to help Di-Burr it.

My Thumber's Tumbler Model "B" High Speed 3000 RPM motor speed and 40 RPM drum rotation, 110 Volt,(220/240 Volt International models are available) was purchased from Buffalo Arms in Idaho. It's due here Tuesday.

I have acquired a spray can Rust-oleum Red paint to paint the inside of the drum to prevent rust. Powder-Coating is an option I think better used on a USED DRUM and not a new one.

I have on-hand the 1/4"-20 FEMALE FLUTED ANTI-VIBRATION KNOBS, 6 (six) required to replace the stock Wing-nuts for faster and easier operation, plus they won't go down the drain. Terry suggested these, and I acquired them from McFeeley's. mcfeeleys.com
The knobs SKU number is JKA-2500
These knobs are 1-3/8 O.D. x 9/16 thick, larger O.D. or thicker knobs will not work due to clearance problems.

I ordered from the internet 3/16" thick CLEAR LEXAN plastic to make a clear side-plate to be able to check the cleaning process without having to open the drum up.
Plate will be 9" O.D. x 8" Bolt Circle for six (6) 17/64 holes (1/4" clearance) 60 degrees apart. 6 x 60 degrees = 360 Degrees Circle)

I plan on making another plate for clean-out using an ONEIDA FINE MESH 4" STRAINER model 7822 from Wal-Mart. Media will not pass through it, as I just checked. I plan to mount it with the strainer basket passing outward through the Lexan and NOT having the basket being inside the drum. I also will add a hose fill/flush hole. Thanks to ideas from Terry.

The Mix:
5 lbs Mark's Stainless Steel Media. (NO more on this size tumbler, to prevent motor overload)
Approx. One (1) Gallon Warm Water. Water weighs approx 8lb/gal.
1-2 tablespoons of DAWN Dish-Washing Liquid.
1 Teaspoon Lemi-Shine Dish-Washing Rinse.
Your dirty Di-Capped Brass (2 lbs worth of load weight, NO MORE)

ESTIMATED BRASS LOADS:
.308 .4OZ 80 CASES ARE APPROX. 2 LBS.
.223 .2oz 160 Cases
.45ACP .2oz 160 Cases
.40S&W .15oz 212 Cases
9MM .14oz 228 Cases
THE ABOVE ARE BRASS LOAD GUIDELINES

You can EXPERIMENT with total tumbling time, maybe start with 3-4 hours.
If NO SOAP BUBBLES are present when tumbling is complete, you need more soap.
THE HARDNESS OF YOUR WATER WILL AFFECT THIS.

I have a "Doit" COUNTDOWN DIGITAL TIMER, outlet timer control, easy 1 push button use for 1-2-4 or an 8 hour setting.
SKU Number 520462 and PURCHASED ONLINE.

DO NOT OVERLOAD YOUR TUMBLER, weight the drum empty, then the total loaded weight of the drum is 15 lbs more than that so you don't hurt the motor. WEIGH IT, DON'T GUESS THE WEIGHT, THEN YOU REALLY KNOW.

The motor needs occasional lubrication, Mobile-One synthetic 5W-20W is a suggestion. You can use a small 2 oz Lube-All plastic bottle dispenser with a long skinny nozzle to reach inside the motor case. You should lube with the motor running. ***(A video describing the motor lubrication method is among these threads somewhere.)***

After tumbling you need to RINSE-RINSE-RINSE, the Black is Carbon. After rinsing you separate media from the brass, this is where the Magnetic deal really comes into use. The brass needs to dry next.

Some people oven dry, dry in the Sun, use a dehydrator, use a drying box that they home built, and others use an ALCOHOL DIPPING METHOD.
The ALCOHOL DIP uses 91-99% strength alcohol, DO NOT USE DRUGSTORE 70% STRENGTH. You shake/towel dry most of the water off of the cases and then put them into a bucket/container of the 91-99% strength alcohol. Take them out and shake, they will be dry very quickly and be ready to reload.
The alcohol will eventually become waterlogged and have to be replaced.
***ALWAYS RETURN THE ALCOHOL TO ITS ORIGINAL CONTAINER FOR STORAGE.***
*** ALWAYS BE MINDFUL OF THE FIRE HAZARD ASSOCIATED WITH USING THIS METHOD.****

I've gleaned the above information from the many pages of threads concerning this method of BRASS CASE TUMBLING. I HOPE IT HELPS SOMEONE.

Many, Many thanks to MARK AND TERRY for their dedicated efforts with this subject. This great deal of concentrated information has been a God's Send.

Good Luck To All With Great Shooting, And Even Better Luck With Tumbling Via This Method Of Stainless Steel Media and a Rock Rotary Tumbler.

MOONMAN (Soon To Be Stainless Steel Media Tumbling) </div></div>

That's about all there is to say about the subject.
Well done!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpc1027</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks to Terry and Mark for turning all of us on to this great process and for the support that they provide.</div></div>

I second that! :thumbs up:

Zuke,& Other Sniper's Hide Members or Viewers

I have edited some of the info on my very long post located towards the bottom of page 39 concerning "THE METHOD AND EQUIPMENT TO STAINLESS STEEL TUMBLE". The long list of What/How To/Optional Equipment/Where To Purchase Components has been modified.

I have made the person to contact (SUASPONTE) to gain the S.S.media contact person (MARK'S) info to purchase the media more prominent in the instructions.

Within my original post I miss-spelled TERRY"S Sniper's Hide name "SUASPONTE" IN THE POSTED ARTICLE. I transposed the "A" and "S", sorry about that Terry.

MOONMAN

I just ordered the anti-vibration knobs from McFeelys, hope they work as good as they look. Even got the $1 shipping! Thanks for the heads up on that guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rebel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just ordered the anti-vibration knobs from McFeelys, hope they work as good as they look. Even got the $1 shipping! Thanks for the heads up on that guys. </div></div>

Better then.
Their a lot harder to loose and spin off and on quickly.

I just received my Thumble'r Tumbler Model "B" Hi-Speed (3000 RPM Motor) 40 RPM Drum Speed from Buffalo Arms. I'm taping up the drum now to Spray Prime and Paint Rust-oleum Red the inside of the drum. This painting of the inside of the drum will help prevent rust from forming under the rubber sleeve.

I just got my 1/4" anti-vibration knobs from McFeelys. They WILL NOT WORK on my Mod. B Thumbler. They hit slightly on the rods on which the drum turns. Knobs are nice and service was super, but don't work = don't work...

I just finished painting the drum on my new tumbler, and I put it up on the rollers with a McFeeley's 1/4-20 Anti-Vibration nut on and it clears my rollers.

*** USE McFeeley's product number JKA-2500 and stock number 3GDV3. The knob is Female locking thru 5 point 1 3/8 O.D. Fluted thru locking and it is 9/16" thick. Per my invoice. THESE KNOBS FIT AND CLEAR THE ROLLERS ON MY NEW Thumblers Tumbler Model B.

Are your knobs a larger Outside Diameter? They (McFeeley's) have a 1/4 Anti-vibration female 5 point that is 2 1/4 O.D. and 1" thick, these are product number JKE-0436 and will not fit, also they have 3 point knobs and I don't think they will work either.

Check McFeeley's web site and search the JKA-2500 female anti-vibration knob and take a look.

What number does your invoice say you purchased?

YOU could also find some rubber rollers to fit over the STEEL shafts that is A LARGER DIAMETER TO RAISE THE DRUM UP HIGHER. i BELIEVE YOU HAVE THE WRONG KNOBS OR YOUR RUBBER ON THE SHAFTS IS WORN DOWN.

LET ME KNOW WHAT McFEELEY'S PRODUCT NUMBER IS ON YOUR INVOICE.

On page 39 I have a very long post where I tried to consolidate a complete list of everything to do or that you can do, with ordering numbers and everything included. This saves everyone from searching 40 pages of info on the subject.

Thanks to everyone who supplied the information, I merely complied and consolidated it.

The invoice shows the knobs I got to be product #JKB-2500, stock #3GDW2. I called them back and for $7.60 got another set on the way. They waived the shipping, nice folks.

My wife said something about not reading the directions...

I just received my JKA-2500 3GDV3 knobs in from McFeely's and installed them on my tumbler. The knobs are barely hitting the black rollers but they are coming in contact with them.

They seem to work ok though and they definitely are better than the wing nuts.

New Poll results as of 8/24/2011 at 9:00pm EST.

8-24-11poll.jpg

Terry

After tumbling with my new knobs I took the drum off the tumbler and slowly rolled it on my kitchen counter to see if I can tell if the knobs would contact the counter top and cause a slight 'wobble'. Only two of the six were contacting the counter top ever so slightly. I tightened those two a bit more to 'align' the gap in the middle of the star points on the knobs with the edge of the drum and they no longer came in contact with the counter or the rubber rollers on the tumbler rods.

Love the knobs for ease of use.

If things are that close, sand the O.D. slightly or turn the O.D. slightly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moonman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If things are that close, sand the O.D. slightly or turn the O.D. slightly. </div></div>

I was thinking of doing that but they are fine now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FL_Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have my tumbler and SS media on the way to me now. How is everyone decapping their brass before tumbling to get the primer pockets clean? Single stage press with a universal decapping die or other method?

Thanks. </div></div>

Sinclair markets a pin and base for knocking out primers with a mallet etc. I have tried using a dedicated decapping die on a press, but using the punch and base with a small brass hammer, I can decap at more than twice the speed required with a decapping die.

The primer falls into a recess in the base, which normally must be dumped after a couple of dozen primers. I drilled a hole about 3/4 inch into my bench top with a paddle bit the same size as the base, and then drilled a 5/16" hole the rest of the way through the bench top. I then screwed a jar lid to the underside of the bench, and don't have to dump it until the jar is full of primers, and that equates to hundreds of cases.

I think that the base and punch are made by L.E. Wilson, but you can find them at Sinclair for cheap. Don't waste effort with a decapping die.

have been using this now for a few months and it really is good ,
the only problem i am having is that after a couple of days the cases look very tarnished , we do have very hard water here ,
is there anything i can rinse them in to preserve that new shinyness , or do i have to tumble with corncob and polish ?
anybody know what factory brass is treated with?

Are you rinsing the cases in water with LemiShine or LemiShine Rinse when they come out of the tumbler? Several guys were saying that cured the 'tarnish' you mention.

yes did the lemshine rinse on the last load , 3 days later looks tarnished, ? must be the water if its working for others
thats why i think tumble with corn+polish or try to find some sort of chem rinse

Terry,
Just read your recommendation for the pre soak. I've got some real nasty brass that I want to clean with my ss media, but would like to pre soak with the 2 liter bottle. Do you recommended the same ratio of leaminshine and dawn as with the cleaning in the tumbler. How long do you pre soak?

I've been rinsing with alcohol, either denatured, or rubbing. Displaces the hard water and makes drying much faster with no spotting. Pour the alcohol back in the bottle and use until it stops working.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JDL USMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terry,
Just read your recommendation for the pre soak. I've got some real nasty brass that I want to clean with my ss media, but would like to pre soak with the 2 liter bottle. Do you recommended the same ratio of leaminshine and dawn as with the cleaning in the tumbler. How long do you pre soak? </div></div>

JDL:

I put a couple squirts of Ivory in it along with a 9mm case of Lemishine.
Hot tap water shake up and take to the range with me. I decap at the range after shooting with a LEE hand press and decapping die. Drop them into the 2liter bottle shake them around and when I get home I dump them out and put them in the tumble for 2-3 hours and the are good to go.

Terry

PS: Time from range to tumbler varies on the BS time at the club (Typical, shot more shit that shells) is about 1 1/2hours to 2 hours.

Moonman. My New Tumbler is sitting in the box in garage. You mentioned painting the drum inside. Has the rust been a problem? How does the paint hold up with the media and brass wearing on it? Have you conidered something tougher like undercoating or a rubberized finish? Just wondering if there was a reason undercoating wouldn't work better?
Great thread.
AHA
Rad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: radmcg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Moonman. My New Tumbler is sitting in the box in garage. You mentioned painting the drum inside. Has the rust been a problem? How does the paint hold up with the media and brass wearing on it? Have you conidered something tougher like undercoating or a rubberized finish? Just wondering if there was a reason undercoating wouldn't work better?
Great thread.
AHA
Rad </div></div>

A problem with the drum's is rust between the rubber drum and the steel drum housing itself.
Slide your rubber drum out of it's steel housing and you'll see what he mean's.

Thanks Zuke. If I had opended up the drum I would have seen it before I ask.
Thanks
Rad

I just received my tumbler from sinclair and there is what looks like a broken inline switch in the box (numerous pieces) and one wire of motor cord has been intentional cut but the ends aren't stripped. Are the tumblers supposed to have an inline switch installed? Also, I didn't receive any instructions. I read that customer service is not to good and am thinking about installing a switch myself or just soldering the wire.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jmak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just received my tumbler from sinclair and there is what looks like a broken inline switch in the box (numerous pieces) and one wire of motor cord has been intentional cut but the ends aren't stripped. Are the tumblers supposed to have an inline switch installed? Also, I didn't receive any instructions. I read that customer service is not to good and am thinking about installing a switch myself or just soldering the wire. </div></div>

Yes, mine has an inline switch. Nothing special.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jmak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just received my tumbler from sinclair and there is what looks like a broken inline switch in the box (numerous pieces) and one wire of motor cord has been intentional cut but the ends aren't stripped. Are the tumblers supposed to have an inline switch installed? Also, I didn't receive any instructions. I read that customer service is not to good and am thinking about installing a switch myself or just soldering the wire. </div></div>

I'd be making some phone call's tomorrow to get it all straightened out.

I just tumbled my first batch of 80.

My notes.
One gallon warm water, one tablespoon Dawn, one teaspoon Lemi Shine and eighty pieces of Federal .308 brass de primed only.

Checked the tumbler at one hour. Brass already looked good, primer pockets still dirty. Checked again hour two, pockets just a bit of stuff left. Decided to run this batch at three hours, so at three I tumbled the mess and dropped the brass into a bucket containing a dash of Lemi Shine and about half gallon of water.

Shook the brass underwater, toweled them some and placed them on an old cookie sheet. Into a pre-heated 175 F oven. Left them in for just over fifteen minutes when I was advised the oven was needed for cooking duties.

Took the cookie sheet to the bench and dumped each case upside down to rid them of water. Placed them back on the cookie sheet and ran a hair drier over them for about five minutes. The still have just a bit of water in the bottom but it will dry well enough.

Lessons, don't try to dry around dinner time or make sure you are grilling dinner. I wanted to leave them in the warm oven and I think they would have been good. Next time I doubt I will dump the mess in the separator. I may try just pulling the brass? We will see. It's tough to keep all the little pieces of media in check. No big deal you just have to be careful.

What do you guys do with the wet media? I have mine on the old cookie sheet in the warm oven after dinner......

The Thumblers tumbler does need the back of the motor braced. Mine shaved the inside diameter of the right front plastic bushings. Looks like the spring clips left significant groves in the metal shaft enough to create the issue. I oiled the shaft and we will see what happens next time.

I liked it so far, nice bright clean brass and clean primer pockets. Time will tell.

1) If your in a big rush,dump them into alcohol first, you'll be surprised on how fast they dry.

2) If you got the media from Mark it doesn't matter if it's stored wet.My drum's outside with about 2 inch's of rain water in it.

Hi I am new to this form, I came across this from the 1911 forum And I am very interested in trying This stainless steel media method And like everyone else I need to contact mark to buy the stainless steel media.
so Terry If you would pm me the contact information I would greatly appreciated Thank you in advance.

Mine came from Buffalo Arms, dunno who they buy from.

I did find a bit of water spotting inside the cases from the lack of oven time.

Wondered if tumbling in the vibrating machine with the corb cob will remove it. No big thing, I will make sure it gets dried better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crazedshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi I am new to this form, I came across this from the 1911 forum And I am very interested in trying This stainless steel media method And like everyone else I need to contact mark to buy the stainless steel media.
so Terry If you would pm me the contact information I would greatly appreciated Thank you in advance. </div></div>

PM has been sent!

Terry

With a rinse of alcohol and Mississippi sunshine (97+) there is no problem drying cases in about 30 minutes. If you clean in corncob media after sizing, (30 mins. or so) to get the lube off, it should remove any casual water spots. I put the media out in the sun on a towel for an hour or two and it is dry, and too hot to touch.

I guess I am just lazy. I size my cases like I am going to load them (neck or FL) and leave the lube on and let the Ivory and Lemishine do their thing. I figure if it removes the carbon the other stuff removed is just a freeby plus and saves an extra step. On old very dirty range pick up brass I will tumble clean it first as I don't want to chance getting in my size dies.

Best way I have found to keep the media in one place (mostly) is to reach into black water and shake them with the case mouths down. Previously I might get one stuck in a case mouth sideways and when I found them, a small pair of needle nose pliers removed them and they were tossed.

At any rate I dump them in another pan of clean water and agitate them well. Someone said to put Lemishine in rinse and I do that too.

NOTE: WHOEVER CAME UP WITH THE LEMISHINE DESERVES A BIG ATTABOY AS THAT SPEEDED THE PROCESS UP AND CUT TUMBLING TIME 50 TO 60%. We are indebted to you for sure.

I found a flour sifter on the side of the road with a very fine mesh stainless steel screen so I have it on a platform and pour the black water out of Thumlers through the screen till I start seeing pieces of media hit the screen and stop.

I then use the rinse water for the cases and pour it in with media about a half gallon at a time and this floats away the carbon makes the media gleam.

I then check the bottom of the rinse pan for loose pieces and I find maybe 3 to 5 pieces about half the time that made it to rinse water.

Then let Confederate Sunshine do its thing on a black towel. A black towel is used because when I get finished I toss the cases around on it and if there is any media in the dry cases it falls out on black towel and is easily spotted and retrieved.

In the winter time I use a nylon net bag (for storing wet swim trunks etc) I got from REI Inc. It has a zipper top. I put my wet cases in it and lay it on warm air duct and it dries them over night and doesn't tie up the kitchen range.

I also have a drying box with bulb and fan like Terry uses that works very well.

Insofar as cases starting to turn I just have to live with it. I thought about wiping down each case with Carnuba wax but that would be real time consuming. If they are clean that is good enough for what I need.

I am sure there is a chemical they could be submerged in but alas with my luck such would be carcinogenic or something bad so I have resigned my self to knowing they are clean when I put them in storage.

Another idea I came up with, when you have the brass in a towel and are ready to tumble them back and fourth I toss in a "rare earth" magnet.
It does no harm but if you missed any pin's the'll stick to it and make their recovery a lot easier.

I just tried my first batch. I got my tumbler and media from Sinclair just because the price was better, then added the knobs from McFeely. I added a big squirt of Dawn to the water and about 1/3 teaspoon of LemiShine.

I started with 80 cases, a mix of .270, .308, and .223. I used the oldest, dirtiest cases I had for this test. The twenty .270 cases came from a friend. They were his late father's and had been sitting in a hot, humid garage for at least 30 years. They were so funky that normally I would have thrown them in the trash.

138064437.jpg

The results:
138064441.jpg

The insides are as clean as the primer pockets, even that funky old .270.
138064443.jpg

I cut open two of those funky .270 cases, one cleaned and one not, just to see how clean the inside of the case got. Here they are:
138072081.jpg

New Poll Results as of 9/15/2011 @ 5:30pm EST.

9-15-11poll.jpg

Thanks for posting pictures. As we all know, that is what makes this thread.

Terry

Just a couple notes to follow my pictures.

I've run 8-10 batches now over 3 days and have not had any problems with the water-spotting or other discoloration of cases. Cold tap water is all I use, not especially soft or hard. I use about 1/4 to 1/3 tsp of LemiShine (just eye-balling it) and a big squirt of Dawn. As the cases come out of the tumbler, they go right into a coffee can of water w/ a small squirt of the LemiShine rinse liquid I found at the grocery store (don't know if this makes any difference). After 5-10 minutes, they get rinsed thoroughly in tap water, then toweled off. I've been air drying most of mine under a fan, but have tried a couple batches in the oven at 150. No difference I can tell.

I've learned to watch for media stuck in the primer hole - always two sticks side-by-side. Some batches I'll have none and one batch I had 6-7 like this. Average is 1-3 cases per hundred. Probably coincidence, but Black Hills Match .308 brass seems to have more than other brass. Some of these sticks are flattened or otherwise mal-formed and so all stuck sticks go into the trash. Needle-nosed pliers work great at clearing the hole.

I've been running all bottleneck brass so far. I tried up to 140 .308 cases and they didn't seem quite as clean (purely subjective) so I backed off to around 100-120. That's one of those small plastic coffee cans heaping full plus another handful.

Here is a handy little trick.

1) my magnet is always handy for lose media
20r7prb.jpg

2) and it helps keep the wing nuts and washers together
2rqyp3o.jpg