• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Steiner 3-12x50 or 4-16x50?

scatsob

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2005
Jacksonville, NC
Looks like one can get these scopes for $1200 or $1440 respectively and just wanted to hear some thoughts. It will be going on an M24 when I move a PH I have on the gun currently over to an M40A3 build when it is finished. Most of the time will be used for shooting under 500 yards. The only thing that is sort of a turn off for the 4-16 is it is gigantic. Thanks all.

I guess I should have looked closer at the specs. They really aren't that different in size unless I am missing something. The 3-12 is a little over 0.5 inches shorter but is heavier. Interesting.

The 3-12x50 is a VERY large scope, even if fractionally smaller than the 4-16x50. It is also awesome in pretty much all ways. Just pick the magnification range you think will be most useful.

Looks like one can get these scopes for $1200 or $1440 respectively and just wanted to hear some thoughts. It will be going on an M24 when I move a PH I have on the gun currently over to an M40A3 build when it is finished. Most of the time will be used for shooting under 500 yards. The only thing that is sort of a turn off for the 4-16 is it is gigantic. Thanks all.

Where are they still available?

Where are they still available?

That's a very good question that most people have been overlooking with these scopes. I believe the 50mm objective scopes (the ones in the $1300-$1500 price range) are discontinued models, and it's very hard to find them now. Their replacements, I believe, are the 56mm objective scopes - and I think they run in the $2500 dollar range.

Looks like you can still get them from The Sportsman's Guide (through Amazon.com) for $1499.99:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1630072382&pf_rd_i=507846

The 3-12x56mm models are available for $100 more:

http://www.amazon.com/Steiner-5356-...8DIX6/ref=pd_luc_sbs_01_01_t_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As I was my purchase through Botach, I was watching the number of remaining units go down. When the count got down to 39 units, it instantly jumped down to 0. I believe The Sportsman's guide bought them all in one shot to resell them for the $399.99 profit. Very enterprising of them...

SG has a double discount for members today so the 3-12x50 is $1220 shipped. Its an amazing deal but I don't think I can get it by the wife without divorce being on the table :).

I will forever regret not buying the 3-12 for $1100 when it was available. But with buying a new house and the wife wanting to remodel the kitchen... i just couldn't justify it. :(