• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steiner T6xi

Got a T6Xi 5-30x56 ordered today so hopefully will see how it compares to my other scopes when it comes in.
Rob,
Have you received your T6Xi yet and if so what are your thoughts of it compared to your Zeiss S3 and Burris Pro?

Thanks

Rob,
Have you received your T6Xi yet and if so what are your thoughts of it compared to your Zeiss S3 and Burris Pro?

Thanks

Actually just arrived about an hour ago. I got it mounted up and did a quick once over on it. No glass comparisons yet. All in all feels and looks like a quality scope. Get the same feel of the Pro when behind it but might be the same reticle influencing that but a nice eye box also. Seems to have the same matte finish on it that the Pro does also. Knobs are nice and the locking feature is pretty cool. I will have to hold off on seeing how zeroing is until next week. It was nice it included a sunshade and Tenebreax scope caps as well as a switchview with a long and short handle. Also two batteries for the illumination which is nice as they are a different size than most scopes. I don't think anyone will be disappointed if they end up buying one.

And anyone wondering the illumination is green and only green.

My 2.5-15 will be here tomorrow, grabbed their T-Series mount for it as well. Got my first ZCO last week, and its funny how the small things make big differences (to me), but I really love the way they integrated the rear Tenebraex caps where you just pop it on without an adapter ring. Appears these T6Xi's do the same thing. Included throw lever is nice too. I don't think I need one for my ZCO, but I would like one for sure.

Got a T6Xi 5-30x56 ordered today so hopefully will see how it compares to my other scopes when it comes in.
I'll be very interested to hear if it has the glass to really pull-off 30x (looking at You, Bushnell...)

Actually just arrived about an hour ago. I got it mounted up and did a quick once over on it. No glass comparisons yet. All in all feels and looks like a quality scope. Get the same feel of the Pro when behind it but might be the same reticle influencing that but a nice eye box also. Seems to have the same matte finish on it that the Pro does also. Knobs are nice and the locking feature is pretty cool. I will have to hold off on seeing how zeroing is until next week. It was nice it included a sunshade and Tenebreax scope caps as well as a switchview with a long and short handle. Also two batteries for the illumination which is nice as they are a different size than most scopes. I don't think anyone will be disappointed if they end up buying one.

And anyone wondering the illumination is green and only green.
Rob,
I appreciate the info. Please update once you have a chance to compare the glass.

Thanks

Reactions: Rob01
Just ordered a 3-18 in msr2 for a hunting rifle, looking forward to compare it to my many other mid to high end scopes in comparison. I do love the form factor of my nx8 2.5-20, but it has some design compromises. The Steiner should compete well.

I'll be very interested to hear if it has the glass to really pull-off 30x (looking at You, Bushnell...)
Can't speak for all of them, but my 5-30 pulls it off fine. It's really nice to have the extra magnification for shooting groups. My XTRII can't use the maximum magnification, it becomes too dark, no eybox, and resolution drops of dramatically. With the Steiner, the eybox gets smaller, but still plenty usable. Resolution and light are still good to go. I think the 56mm objective really helps with that.

Reactions: Dendro
Quick question for anyone with the T6Xi 5-30. Hitting the range tomorrow for the first time with it and checking out the manual and from what I get to zero you lock the knob, loosen the two screws and then the knob turns without clicks to zero. Correct?

Thanks. Just didn't want to break anything first day out. LOL

Reactions: Itsadryheat
Quick question for anyone with the T6Xi 5-30. Hitting the range tomorrow for the first time with it and checking out the manual and from what I get to zero you lock the knob, loosen the two screws and then the knob turns without clicks to zero. Correct?
Rob, I am waiting with baited breath to hear your comparison of this scope to the Zeiss and Burris Pro

Rob, I am waiting with baited breath to hear your comparison of this scope to the Zeiss and Burris Pro

Well you will have to wait a little longer on the Pro head to head comparison but had the Zeiss and Steiner out today. Also had a Arken SH4 out but this is the last I will speak of it as after looking through the others it was like getting poked in the eye with a sharp stick looking through the Arken. LOL

Let's get right to the meat, the Zeiss just edges out the Steiner for glass. I had my S3 4-25 out today and the Steiner T6Xi 5-30 and dialed it down to 25x for the comparison. Just from memory I would say the Steiner glass just edged out the Pro also so it will be between those two. I will put the Pro next to it but I feel that comparison will hold. Other than the glass comparison, and don't read above as it's not great as it really is nice glass, I would say the Steiner is a very nice optic in ergos and features. Coming with everything you need from sunshade to caps to throw lever is good on Steiner. The knobs do zero different than others but a little playing with them and it was easy to figure and get zeroed. Once zeroed they have a nice feel when dialing. The reticle is the SCR-2 like the Pros which is nice and has the same illumination zone on it but only green versus the Pro red/green. I popped the Steiner on my centerfire match rifle and will shoot a match with it on the 13th and see how it does.

Reactions: Ty21
Rob,
Thanks for the update and the info.

So you're saying I should try to find a good deal on an Arken SH4...lol

I am leaning towards the Steiner for a couple of reasons. I like that it is made in the USA. My first 'high end' scope was a used T5xi 5-25x56 I bought off the PX. I sold that scope to a coworker awhile ago, but I always liked that scope and loved the feel of the turrets (I know that is a very personal thing). And lastly I prefer the look of the Steiner a little more than the Zeiss. I know that won't help with hits down range, but it's part of MY decision making process. ;)

When you say that the Zeiss just edges out the Steiner for glass. Specifically how did the Zeiss win? Does it cut through mirage better? Edge to edge clarity? Less CA? Better FOV? Better DOF? Can you expound a little?

Thanks again

When you say that the Zeiss just edges out the Steiner for glass. Specifically how did the Zeiss win? Does it cut through mirage better? Edge to edge clarity? Less CA? Better FOV? Better DOF? Can you expound a little?

Thanks again

The Zeiss does cut mirage better and also has a better parallax over different distances with less adjustment needed. Edge to edge on both were good and no real CA in either. The FOV is very good in both also. As I said the Zeiss just edged the Steiner out and mostly from the clarity stand point looking at targets and small items giving a little more detail in items being seen. I was looking at the clamps I had holding my paper on at 100 and could make out more detail with the Zeiss than the Steiner. Also looking at longer ranges at targets and grass and berm specifics. Again I don't want you to think the Steiner is bad at all. If you got one I am sure you would be happy with it as I am happy with it and it will stay in the safe with the Pros and the Zeiss scopes. Hope this helps a little more.

The Zeiss does cut mirage better and also has a better parallax over different distances with less adjustment needed. Edge to edge on both were good and no real CA in either. The FOV is very good in both also. As I said the Zeiss just edged the Steiner out and mostly from the clarity stand point looking at targets and small items giving a little more detail in items being seen. I was looking at the clamps I had holding my paper on at 100 and could make out more detail with the Zeiss than the Steiner. Also looking at longer ranges at targets and grass and berm specifics. Again I don't want you to think the Steiner is bad at all. If you got one I am sure you would be happy with it as I am happy with it and it will stay in the safe with the Pros and the Zeiss scopes. Hope this helps a little more.
Rob,
Yes, that helps a lot.

Thank you!

Reactions: Rob01
Curious how these are turning out, considering a 3-18 for my MWS, considering what they can be had for. @Rob01 what would you liken it to? Razor Gen II quality glass? That's more than enough for me for the intended role. Really would like the 2.5-15 but need them to put the SCR2 in it. I've been going back and forth between the ATACR 4-16, Nx8, MK5, and now the T6Xi

Curious how these are turning out, considering a 3-18 for my MWS, considering what they can be had for. @Rob01 what would you liken it to? Razor Gen II quality glass? That's more than enough for me for the intended role. Really would like the 2.5-15 but need them to put the SCR2 in it. I've been going back and forth between the ATACR 4-16, Nx8, MK5, and now the T6Xi

Don't have a 3-18 but the glass in my 5-30 is better than a Gen II Razor. I would suspect the 3-18 would be also. I don't think you would be upset with the scope but I would also look at the Zeiss 4-25x50. You get some more top end and still have the 4x on low end and a 50mm objective. Good reticle also.

Reactions: TheBigCountry
I haven't looked through a gen II in a while but the glass on my 318 is pretty damn clear.

Don't have a 3-18 but the glass in my 5-30 is better than a Gen II Razor. I would suspect the 3-18 would be also. I don't think you would be upset with the scope but I would also look at the Zeiss 4-25x50. You get some more top end and still have the 4x on low end and a 50mm objective. Good reticle also.
My only point of contention is this is going on an 18” LMT MWS which I’m trying to somehow keep the weight sub 15lbs with the ole surefire FA762SS. The Steiner is a tad weighty compared to the other optics i was looking at. Namely another mk5 3.6-18, NX8 2.5-20, Mk5 5-25, and have given a ton of thought to just stepping up to the 4-16 atacr. Seeing what the Steiner can be had for though is stupid cheap comparably speaking.

How are you guys liking the turrets?

How are you guys liking the turrets?
Speaking of my experience with the 1-6. I’d say pretty stellar. Tracks well, stupid easy zero stop. Once I didn’t tighten down the two elevation turret screws and the turret slipped on me, but that was my error. Overall my favorite total turret I’ve used. A former 4-16 ATACR felt a bit better, but that ZS system requires optical surgery to reset, hard pass. I’m a huge fan of the 1-6 turrets.

Speaking of my experience with the 1-6. I’d say pretty stellar. Tracks well, stupid easy zero stop. Once I didn’t tighten down the two elevation turret screws and the turret slipped on me, but that was my error. Overall my favorite total turret I’ve used. A former 4-16 ATACR felt a bit better, but that ZS system requires optical surgery to reset, hard pass. I’m a huge fan of the 1-6 turrets.
Making me rethinking my decision on what i'd have to spend to grab another ATACR 4-16 for the MWS. I think I'm going to give the 3-18 a try. Need to find a lightweight Unimount to try and keep it under 40oz total

Making me rethinking my decision on what i'd have to spend to grab another ATACR 4-16 for the MWS. I think I'm going to give the 3-18 a try. Need to find a lightweight Unimount to try and keep it under 40oz total
The Nightforce 34mm cantilever is about as light a unimount you'll find. I've been happy with my two.

Reactions: lou400a
The Nightforce 34mm cantilever is about as light a unimount you'll find. I've been happy with my two.
I can't seem to find too much on the weight. 5oz roughly? In the back of my mind I'm wondering if all this wouldn't be worth it to save half a lb and just go with another MK5 with an ultra-light mount

I can't seem to find too much on the weight. 5oz roughly? In the back of my mind I'm wondering if all this wouldn't be worth it to save half a lb and just go with another MK5 with an ultra-light mount
5.6oz on that 34mm 1.5" cantilever

Im heavily considering the 1-6. Any comparison glass wise to other higher end stuff? Mk6, k16i, etc? Also construction. The optical cell. Lens fixturing. Reticle lens/erector alignment. How robust is all of that vs nightforce and other proven solutions.

Last edited:
So I’ve talked to 2 people about this scope.

Looking at the 5-30. Possibly the 3-18.

Anything negative about it? It’s in direct comparison to the G3 and Zeiss S3 right now.

I know Steiner had issues with the T5 (I think it was). Those issues seem to be ironed out with this one it seems.

I have the 5-30 and it's a very nice scope. The S3 glass is a little better but the glass in the T6Xi won't hold you back.

From all the reports the glass is phenomenal. I’ve never heard Steiner not being durable. I emailed Steiner about reticle options in the 2.5-15.

I’m very close to ordering one just to see it.

Emailed asking about reticles for the 2.5-15. No new reticles as of this time. Though they need to redesign lower the weight.

From all the reports the glass is phenomenal. I’ve never heard Steiner not being durable. I emailed Steiner about reticle options in the 2.5-15.

Emailed asking about reticles for the 2.5-15. No new reticles as of this time. Though they need to redesign lower the weight.
Their military optic breaking in half like a big dog when Aaron Cowan dropped it gives me all kinds of pause. Stupid test? Sure. But it broke and no other optic Ive seen has, during this test, so there's that.

Their military optic breaking in half like a big dog when Aaron Cowan dropped it gives me all kinds of pause. Stupid test? Sure. But it broke and no other optic Ive seen has, during this test, so there's that.
Which scope exactly (old school capital-M Military or an M-series modern one with numbers?) and any link to this.

I'm not especially nice to my stuff (as I use it in all wx, stuff it in the pack and hike across bad terrain with it etc) and have definitely for sure had a 24" bolt gun fall on the scope >1 x, even scratching the scope or loosing zero much less breaking in half.

Which scope exactly (old school capital-M Military or an M-series modern one with numbers?) and any link to this.

I'm not especially nice to my stuff (as I use it in all wx, stuff it in the pack and hike across bad terrain with it etc) and have definitely for sure had a 24" bolt gun fall on the scope >1 x, even scratching the scope or loosing zero much less breaking in half.
Skip to 10:40. Their latest and greatest M LPVO.

Reactions: shoobe01
Im heavily considering the 1-6. Any comparison glass wise to other higher end stuff? Mk6, k16i, etc? Also construction. The optical cell. Lens fixturing. Reticle lens/erector alignment. How robust is all of that vs nightforce and other proven solutions.
I do not have any other higher end optics for comparison. Here is what I can say from memory having owned a March F 1-10 Shorty, SWFA 1-6 HD, NF ATACR 4–6, and a Vortex PST 2 1-6:

The 1x is better than the SWFA 1-6 and IIRC the March F 1-10 Shorty. A Vortex PST 1-6 beats it at 1x, no surprise there though. Illumination is as good as the March and far superior to the SWFA. The overall 1x performance is better on the PST, again no surprise as thats a good SFP optic optimized for 1x.

Overall construction feels very nice, I would compare it to a NF ATACR 4-16 I had. As I mentioned above, the turret clicks on the ATACR was slightly better, but the zero stop of the T6 is far superior.

The T6 probably has my favorite LPVO reticle I’ve looked through for my uses. If 1x performance is your main goal, I would seriously look at other options like a Razor. The 1x is good, but the optic shines at 3-6x magnification combined with the excellent turrets.

I consider the T6 a “DMRs LPVO” and not an “assaulters LPVO” if that makes any sense.

I do not have any other higher end optics for comparison. Here is what I can say from memory having owned a March F 1-10 Shorty, SWFA 1-6 HD, NF ATACR 4–6, and a Vortex PST 2 1-6:

The 1x is better than the SWFA 1-6 and IIRC the March F 1-10 Shorty. A Vortex PST 1-6 beats it at 1x, no surprise there though. Illumination is as good as the March and far superior to the SWFA. The overall 1x performance is better on the PST, again no surprise as thats a good SFP optic optimized for 1x.

Overall construction feels very nice, I would compare it to a NF ATACR 4-16 I had. As I mentioned above, the turret clicks on the ATACR was slightly better, but the zero stop of the T6 is far superior.

The T6 probably has my favorite LPVO reticle I’ve looked through for my uses. If 1x performance is your main goal, I would seriously look at other options like a Razor. The 1x is good, but the optic shines at 3-6x magnification combined with the excellent turrets.

I consider the T6 a “DMRs LPVO” and not an “assaulters LPVO” if that makes any sense.
I've had:

NX8 1-8
NXS 1-4
MK6 1-6 TMR-D
K16i SM1

Of those, the NX8 was my favorite for 1x followed by the MK6, which would have likely taken the top spot if: TMR-D wasn't so cluttered about the center on 1x, and it didn't flicker on 1x with head movement outside of the box. I also used a Z6i briefly, and really liked it.

All Steiners available HERE! Give me a shout - you won't be sorry!

And Meopta, Zeiss, Minox, Athlon, Arken, Tangent Theta, I.O.R., Elcan, Delta...

Darn Fine Shot
darnfineshot.com
[email protected]
ph. 812-917-5653 cell/text
ph. 812-710-4000 landline

How is the T6xi 1-6 on 1x? It sounds like maybe the reticle isn’t the fastest at 1x but is it a true 1x? How does it compare to the Razor Gen 2 1-6 in this regard?

How is the T6xi 1-6 on 1x? It sounds like maybe the reticle isn’t the fastest at 1x but is it a true 1x? How does it compare to the Razor Gen 2 1-6 in this regard?
IMG_0995.jpeg
IMG_0994.jpeg

So here is the bigger issue I see. If I set the diopter for a perfect, near bezel disappearing 1x, 6x looks a bit blurry. The opposite is also true, perfect 6x, lesser 1x performance. I took those two diopter setting and went with something in between. So far so good. A perfect 6x makes it a 1.xxx magnification and a perfect 1x makes the reticle at 6x a bit blurry.

Again, good optic, but it wouldn’t be my first option if 1x was my top priority. The overall feature set of the optic is what makes me like it.

The optic picture looks better than the photos indicate, the pics are just to give you an idea.

Reactions: Paceac441
I have not really liked any LPVOs before this one. Not a LOT of experience (I mostly use RDS+FTS-magnifier) but it works for me.

(I have or have had to my memory, 1-4x Steiner Military, 1-4x USO SR4, 1-8 Accupower, and have shot over a few others to try them out).

Currently the 1-6x T6 is on a 9mm AR upper which I shoot at least monthly at IDPA matches, basically to try it out as an RDS replacement, where it's almost entirely run at 1x (it will go on my SIG 556/551 in a little while here.

I find it awfully good. Very fast and so properly replacing a dot. For a different sight was talking with a friend just this weekend after a night shoot about how I /consciously/ dislike ring-dots but have been finding that they work well for me, and this is no exception, seems to help with that speed. As an HF engineer in part, I also sorta think the big ring helps with centering (people like to center things, its why diopter or ghost ring sights work) and may help reduce parallax as we always look through the middle at 1x. Very clever how the center dot is a reticle when zoomed, also, so more useful across the range than other LPVOs I have used.

Appears to me to be very very close to true 1x, only a bit of distortion visible when you swing fast and all of that so little even with my phoria I can run it both eyes open and do very well with it. I have not noticed a need to change the diopter adjustment when zooming; I have bad enough eyes I often DO change any scope I pick up a tiny bit day to day to get the best image, so expect I'd notice but everyone's eyes are different.

Brightness is not bad. Never had it wash out in reality, but top end brightness is not as bright as top end RDS bright so I often wonder... FWIW.

Reactions: Paceac441

I wish they would put a tree based reticle on the 2.5-15, Id have one. I emailed them same thing asking they would put the scr2 in it.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
I would love to see a comparison of the Steiner T6xi 5-30 ( or 3-18) with comparable sized Zeiss LRP S3 6-36 - or 3.6-18...AT LOW LIGHT....I am looking for a scope that I can use dual purpose hunting/shooting steel. Yes - it is a compromise. I just would like to know if either of these - or similar - can perform both tasks well. Full legal light scope for bad eyes.

I wish they would put a tree based reticle on the 2.5-15, Id have one. I emailed them same thing asking they would put the scr2 in it.
Yeah I just asked if there were any plans to have any other reticles in it. They said not as of right now. Though the issue there is for 2oz more you can have the 3-18. I love the magnification range and size of the 2.5-15. The weight however makes it almost pointless. They need to redesign it to be around MK5 weight and it would be incredible with the right reticle.

I mean they make (at least) the M7xi in 2.9-20 and the 4-30 with the Tremor 3 as an option so unless they think people will pay double the price just to upgrade reticles that indeed seems a weird choice. Maybe it's coming later?