• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steiner T6xi

20230617_072748.jpg

Hopefully this is purely cosmetic. My 2.5-15 says it's a 1-6. Will give them a call on Monday.

Man I thought I’d seen it all on here, but then this has got to be a new one…

Reactions: YotaEer
Not sure what to think about that. It’s really not a big deal… Or is it? If something so small is overlooked, what else is being overlooked?

I’m wanting a 3-18 SCR2 in the near future, but I don’t want to use special pronouns for my optic.

Not sure what to think about that. It’s really not a big deal… Or is it? If something so small is overlooked, what else is being overlooked?

I’m wanting a 3-18 SCR2 in the near future, but I don’t want to use special pronouns for my optic.
My thoughts as well. It makes me wonder what less obvious things are not being done correctly.
The 2.5-15 doesn’t even closely look like the 1-6. Like, how do you miss that when you are assembling the scope? It’s written right on the external portion of the part telling you it doesn’t belong on that scope. All that said, I still want one. I just hope no other issue come up with them.

Reactions: TicTacTex
Yea I am pretty impressed with the scope but worried I may have issues trying to resell it later on down the road with it not being marked correctly.

For anybody with the 3-18 MSR2 how is the reticle at 3x? Is the reticle usable at that magnification. I haven’t been able to look through one but looking through the 5-30 at 5x the reticle seems pretty fine.
The reticle is very thin at 3x. Not optimal for a hunting reticle at low power unless it’s dark enough for the illumination to show up. But the illumination isn’t daylight bright.

Here’s a few pics I just took at 3x in a variety of settings here. The illumination is on the brightest setting in some of the pics and it’s cloudy/overcast outside.

The reticle starts to shine at about 8x. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_4395.jpeg
    IMG_4395.jpeg
    580.3 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_4398.jpeg
    IMG_4398.jpeg
    474.2 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_4402.jpeg
    IMG_4402.jpeg
    801.1 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_4401.jpeg
    IMG_4401.jpeg
    667.9 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_4399.jpeg
    IMG_4399.jpeg
    635.7 KB · Views: 265
I looked at mine as well and I completely agree it’s usable for my old eyes around 8x and I could barely make out the illumination even with it being overcast during day

Reactions: Paceac441
The reticle is very thin at 3x. Not optimal for a hunting reticle at low power unless it’s dark enough for the illumination to show up. But the illumination isn’t daylight bright.

Here’s a few pics I just took at 3x in a variety of settings here. The illumination is on the brightest setting in some of the pics and it’s cloudy/overcast outside.

The reticle starts to shine at about 8x. Hope this helps.
That helps a lot. Thanks. I think I will go with the MSR2.

Did you just submit a claim online and did they replace or repair it? Thanks!
Called their CS number, spoke with a pleasant and helpful person, they opened a claim and sent me a return label. They swapped the mag ring part only and redid QC checks before returning the scope. Only took a few weeks, and I received email updates from Steiner as it moved through the process.

So finally took delivery of my msr2 3-18. I really like the scope. Reticle is a bit fine below 6x, the alumination helps, but won't much in bright conditions especially below 5X. The eyebox is very large and forgiving even at 18X. It comes with tanabraex caps, a sun shade, throw lever, everything you'll need minus rings. The glass is very clear, turrets are audible with nice tactile clicks. Mag and parallax rings are smooth with adequate tension. The turret locks are a new concept, I haven't attempted to zero as I just mounted it to one my lighter rigs. It's a 20" proof carbon in a Ti3 action in a mdt hnt26. All up with suppressor and ckyepod its just under 11#. I'd say the glass is comparable to my atacr scopes. Will get this through its paces in a few weeks, as I'm headed off to work tomorrow morning. This would be an absolute beast of a hunting scope if the guys in Greeley could figure how to shave 6oz off these things.

Guys it's a FFP scope. 3x will be very fine. Nature of the beast. You don't buy a 3-18x or 5-30x to use it on 3-5x the majority of the time. If you did then you bought the wrong scope. LOL It's not just this scope but most all FFP scopes.

I like the reticle. Not overly busy. How do you think it compares to the Trijicon Credo 1-6? They seem very similar on paper.

Got mine in finally. Will take it out this weekend. Turrets are a little lackluster but everything else about it on first impression is positive.

Reactions: Tikkaguy
Guys it's a FFP scope. 3x will be very fine. Nature of the beast. You don't buy a 3-18x or 5-30x to use it on 3-5x the majority of the time. If you did then you bought the wrong scope. LOL It's not just this scope but most all FFP scopes.
Oh I agree, I have a lot of ffp scopes, some are designed so that they're still fairly functional on low power, like the leupold pr1 mil on the 3.6-18 is still fairy visible at low power, my milC at 4x seemed fairly visible. The MSR2 on 3x up against a dark background was very hard to pick up. Regardless I like the scope with first impressions.

Reactions: Rob01
So, that one bolt right in the center of the elevation turret, right there on top. What happens if you use an allen wrench to loosen it, and then you cannot get it tight again?

Um . . . asking for a friend.

I would say not ideal 😬

So, what happened? Was this a design flaw, something on this particular scope that was broken or user error?

Sounds like user error if someone takes an Allen wrench and loosens it.

Tell your friend to call Steiner on Monday.

User error.

My, um, ahem, friend, loosened it, and now it won't tighten. It does not seem to affect the function or accuracy of the scope. The lock locks and unlocks, the elevation works. The rifle is just as accurate as it was before. I'll, um, I mean, I will tell my friend to call Steiner and ask.

I’m sure glad your friend has a friend like you to help him out.

I’d be interested to see what Steiner has to say. It seems like if you could loosen it you should be able to tighten it. I can’t imagine loosening it would strip threads or damage the hex head. I wonder what internally the bolt screws into.

It doesn't feel stripped at all. It was snug. Loosened, and then it just does not tighten. I don't know what that bolt even does, maybe hold the lock/unlock switch on top of the turret? Nothing else feels loose or anything. The elevation turret locks and unlocks like it is supposed to.

They sent a shipping label. The tech guy was very polite and did not use the words retard or moron.

Did he explain what loosening that allen does?

Nope, nor why it might still be loose and unable to tighten.

Haha. You should probably still have a talk with your friend in private using those words though.
They literally got it today, and I received this in my email, also today, "Your optic has been repaired and tested to verify function. More specified notes of the repair will be on the paperwork that will be returned with your scope."

Wow.

Talk about fast.

Reactions: nrspence and Rob01
Impatiently waiting for UPS to deliver my 3-18. Was supposed to be here today but nope.

@Rob01, maybe you can help with this. What height rings would you say I would need for an AT with the high rail?

I’ll say i think the SCR2 is pretty usable at 3x. Could see where the msr might not be.
My first 3-18x56 had almost daylight bright illumination, just got my second scope this evening from a brown shirt. Will test again but I like the MSR2 at 3x cause if it’s duplex like look, if illumination able to define center in daylight it’ll be a winning combo.

Could someone post some turret footage? Maybe I'm being an optics snob here but I just am not liking the turrets. Seems the XTRIII series has better turrets by looking at videos.

Could someone post some turret footage? Maybe I'm being an optics snob here but I just am not liking the turrets. Seems the XTRIII series has better turrets by looking at videos.
I had a few xtr3, the turrets were quite stiff and the knurling on them, unnecessarily aggressive. I didn't like them at all, felt the steiner were a fair bit better.

Reactions: diggler1833
UPS dropped my 3-18 off, and for the quick few minutes I got to look at it I like what I’m seeing.

I’ll have to get some more time with it and get it mounted to do a real test, but so far I like it.

True, but if the reticle would illuminate in red, or if it was just a little bit brighter, it would be much more usable at minimum magnification. This would give the scope greater versatility.

Reactions: Glassaholic
Yeah it’s a great scope for the price. The reticle is very fine and not to usable at 2.5 power, but besides that no complaints.

Yeah it’s a great scope for the price. The reticle is very fine and not to usable at 2.5 power, but besides that no complaints.

Thanks for the response. Which reticle? What power does it become usable?

Just got my 3-18 MSR mounted up. So far I really like what I'm seeing. Much, much better than the T5Xi. Ranging really isn't usable until 6x in my opinion. Reticle is damn near perfect at 18x. Hopefully will get it out on the range early next week.
20230701_220559.jpg

Just got my 3-18 MSR mounted up. So far I really like what I'm seeing. Much, much better than the T5Xi. Ranging really isn't usable until 6x in my opinion. Reticle is damn near perfect at 18x. Hopefully will get it out on the range early next week.
View attachment 8174035
Build looks great. I've got mine on a bolt gun. I had it out to 1000 so far. Optic is just beautiful.

Attachments

• IMG_8737.jpeg
    IMG_8737.jpeg
    556.8 KB · Views: 101
Reactions: lou400a and Dendro
View attachment 8174035
Is that a Spuhr mount? Which red dot? I was considering just such a set up for a DMR type gun.

View attachment 8174035
That’s what mine will be sitting on my large frame. How’s the weight?

Thanks for the response. Which reticle? What power does it become usable?
I have the mil version. I just wish they would have made the cross hairs darker and fatter towards the edge so the center of the crosshair is easier to pick up quickly at 2.5 power.

Reactions: Jnull
It's a pig 🐷. I would not want to have to carry it very far lol.
What are the specs? Looks like KAC? I've been trying to estimate my MWS not being 15+lbs but I'm not sure I will get away with it lol. Gotta get DWilson to chop an inch off and add a seekins adjustable block, then I just need a mount and lower.

Any comparisons to the Razor III out there?
I have both but haven't put them sided by side. Turret wise the Razor is completely in another league for me and Idk if I consider the Gen III turrets to be phenomenal or anything. I like mine they're very good. The TX6i turrets are suitable as Huskey said way earlier in the thread they're about bare minimum of what I'd consider acceptable. Which given the price of the optic I think is kind of unacceptable if I'm being quite honest. (I know contradictory) They're meh. The locking mechanism also is so stiff that I can't lock the turret without it moving. I Have to hold the turret with one hand and lock it with the other. Though with a zero stop I'll likely just leave it unlocked. I'm not a fan of locked turrets which is the primary reason my Gen III was deleted.

It'll be a minute before I compare them sided by side. However when I took the T6Xi to the range last weekend, the glass does not disappoint it's very nice. Considering what you can get them for there isn't much that comes close. I also am a huge fan of the SCR2 reticle.

Last edited:
What are the specs? Looks like KAC? I've been trying to estimate my MWS not being 15+lbs but I'm not sure I will get away with it lol. Gotta get DWilson to chop an inch off and add a seekins adjustable block, then I just need a mount and lower.

I have both but haven't put them sided by side. Turret wise the Razor is completely in another league for me and Idk if I consider the Gen III turrets to be phenomenal or anything. I like mine they're very good. The TX6i turrets are suitable as Huskey said way earlier in the thread they're about bare minimum of what I'd consider acceptable. Which given the price of the optic I think is kind of unacceptable if I'm being quite honest. (I know contradictory) They're meh. The locking mechanism also is so stiff that I can't lock the turret without it moving. I Have to hold the turret with one hand and lock it with the other. Though with a zero stop I'll likely just leave it unlocked. I'm not a fan of locked turrets which is the primary reason my Gen III was deleted.

It'll be a minute before I compare them sided by side. However when I took the T6Xi to the range last weekend, the glass does not disappoint it's very nice. Considering what you can get them for there isn't much that comes close. I also am a huge fan of the SCR2 reticle.
Mostly KAC. At least the front end. 16.6lbs as seen(with loaded mag) :ROFLMAO:. The turrets aren't great, but ok. For what I paid on Expert Voice, nothing comes close to this so I'll deal with the just ok turrets. I'll only lock them for transport. The lock is kinda weird.

I got mine mounted today and I’m liking it a lot. Very forgiving eyebox, glass is better then my G2 Razor. I actually like the turrets, illumination, and can pick up the SCR2 even on low settings.

Full test will be my next weekend off when I take it to the range.

Mostly KAC. At least the front end. 16.6lbs as seen(with loaded mag) :ROFLMAO:. The turrets aren't great, but ok. For what I paid on Expert Voice, nothing comes close to this so I'll deal with the just ok turrets. I'll only lock them for transport. The lock is kinda weird.
I’ve read a little about Expert Voice. How much of an expert or influencer do you have to be to get deals? Are the discounts significant?