• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steiner T6xi

Really good discounts on a lot of items. I qualify through being a first responder firefighter and military veteran. I think NRA members can get an account as well.

Reactions: BlkZ06
The locking mechanism also is so stiff that I can't lock the turret without it moving. I Have to hold the turret with one hand and lock it with the other.
Strange. My Steiner turret lock is not like that at all. I wonder if you might call Steiner? Anybody else experiencing this?

Reactions: TheBigCountry
Rob01, has Japanese glass surpassed German glass?

Nothing to do with country of origin but the glass used. Not all glass is the same no matter what country it comes from.

And my lock on the Steiner was a little stiff at first but after using it a couple times it is easily turned.

Strange. My Steiner turret lock is not like that at all. I wonder if you might call Steiner? Anybody else experiencing this?
My elevation lock is super stiff, just like @5RWill, I cannot unlock without manhandling the turret. Windage lock is nice and smooth and my previous T6Xi elevation was smooth as well. Definitely slipped through the QC cracks, there is a hex nut on top and I’m wondering if I loosen will that alleviate the tightness of the lock. Otherwise my brand new T6Xi needs to go back to Greeley for repair 🤷‍♂️

Strange. My Steiner turret lock is not like that at all. I wonder if you might call Steiner? Anybody else experiencing thi

My elevation lock is super stiff, just like @5RWill, I cannot unlock without manhandling the turret. Windage lock is nice and smooth and my previous T6Xi elevation was smooth as well. Definitely slipped through the QC cracks, there is a hex nut on top and I’m wondering if I loosen will that alleviate the tightness of the lock. Otherwise my brand new T6Xi needs to go back to Greeley for repair 🤷‍♂️
Hex nut should fix it. But call Steiner, their tech people actually personally answer the phone.

I do not know if I would touch that hex nut . . .

See post # 572 et sequitur.

Curious to see if they can improve the turret feel
Turret feel is about what I expect for a $2k scope, it's not horrible but it's also not Leupold Mark 5 level either. I'd say a step above NF NX8 and Vortex LHT and about on par with Burris XTR III but lighter in some respects - XTR III has a more distinct click I would say but T6Xi still distinct, just less so if that makes sense. For a 12 mrad per rev - spacing seems tight. I wish illumination was brighter for 3x use, while I really like the MSR2 reticle I cannot pickup illumination which would help in busy backgrounds, thankfully MSR2 thick horizontal stadia helps with centering at 3x in a pinch, not ideal but at least something. Battery is a non-standard 2450, probably get more life out of it, but would rather have it be the same 2032 that everyone else uses since I carry plenty of spares for my other scopes, now I have to purchase different ones and keep them separate and remember which is for which (I know, first world problems right).

Reactions: B Man
Turret feel is about what I expect for a $2k scope, it's not horrible but it's also not Leupold Mark 5 level either. I'd say a step above NF NX8 and Vortex LHT and about on par with Burris XTR III but lighter in some respects - XTR III has a more distinct click I would say but T6Xi still distinct, just less so if that makes sense. For a 12 mrad per rev - spacing seems tight. I wish illumination was brighter for 3x use, while I really like the MSR2 reticle I cannot pickup illumination which would help in busy backgrounds, thankfully MSR2 thick horizontal stadia helps with centering at 3x in a pinch, not ideal but at least something. Battery is a non-standard 2450, probably get more life out of it, but would rather have it be the same 2032 that everyone else uses since I carry plenty of spares for my other scopes, now I have to purchase different ones and keep them separate and remember which is for which (I know, first world problems right).

Agree, while I REALLY like the MSR2 reticle it is best fit for slow precision fire and will be in a rifle with that role in mind. I ordered another SCR reticle scope for that reason. I have three of these scopes now all great but for all around use I like the SCR reticle best and the illumination lights it up much better. I also like it lights up in a T pattern, just seems to really draw my eye to it without too much illumination. I do not like optics that light up the entire reticles, just makes it way to busy and seems to pull my eye off center. But yeah a more bold area illuminated on the MSR would make it just right.

Reactions: Glassaholic
I've seen guys talk about the parallax wheel but not seen a whole lot about depth of field. I'm looking at the 3-18 in particular. I've had an xtr IIIi 3.3-18 for a while now and just received an atacr 4-16x42. The atacr parallax forgiveness is awesome and it's the nicest scope I've owned so far. The xtr parallax is not bad and I've used worse. I'm just wondering if the t6xi is somewhere in between the two that I've mentioned.

Thanks for any info.

I've seen guys talk about the parallax wheel but not seen a whole lot about depth of field. I'm looking at the 3-18 in particular. I've had an xtr IIIi 3.3-18 for a while now and just received an atacr 4-16x42. The atacr parallax forgiveness is awesome and it's the nicest scope I've owned so far. The xtr parallax is not bad and I've used worse. I'm just wondering if the t6xi is somewhere in between the two that I've mentioned.

Thanks for any info.
@Glassaholic was doing a comparison between his 3-18 T6Xi and the 4-16 atacr if i recall.

Reactions: zero0zero
Are you going to be doing a write up soon? If so, I'll hold off on the questions.
Soon is relative, these reviews take quite a while to compile, I have a another review to wrap up before this one. So if you have something specific you'd like to ask that I can address soon I'd be happy to try to do that for you, ask away.

• Love
Reactions: Malum Prohibitum
4-16 atacr, parallax forgiveness is incredible. Xtr III 3.3-18 seems a couple hundred yards of forgiveness on parallax, depending on distance. Where does the t6xi 3-18 land here?

Low light performance isn't that good on the atacr, it gets dark quick and it seems like it tightens they eyebox(expected). The xtr isn't bad, but they both get a good amount of glare in the sunset. How does the t6xi perform there?

Thanks for your time.

Eta
Thanks for your review on the xtr III and your in depth on diopter adjustments, both have been a major help.

Reactions: Glassaholic
Trying to decide between the Steiner T6xi 3-18 or the Nightforce NX8 2.5-20 for a 16in AR build and Glassaholics’s reviews have been super helpful. Probably going with the T6xi 3-18 or maybe the 2.5-15. Not a fan of tight eyeboxes and the non locking elevation turret on the NX8 does not inspire me with confidence.

Trying to decide between the Steiner T6xi 3-18 or the Nightforce NX8 2.5-20 for a 16in AR build and Glassaholics’s reviews have been super helpful. Probably going with the T6xi 3-18 or maybe the 2.5-15. Not a fan of tight eyeboxes and the non locking elevation turret on the NX8 does not inspire me with confidence.
Man I'll be honest, I've hunter with non locking turrets for a long time, I can only recall on instance it moved when it wasn't supposed to. The pop up/down locks are much more easy to operate than the steiner lock. They went a whole different direction than most other manufacturers.

Reactions: cruiserweight
I think that’s an easy decision if you’re worried about the shortcomings of a compact design just avoid the compact scope. The only real concerns in this situation is 4oz of weight. Objective same, reticles extremely similar, turrets also very similar in feel, both come with tenebraex caps, Steiner has the throw lever.

Given what I’ve been told about T6Xi it should have the edge in glass. I haven’t compared them side by side. But am impressed my 3-18 thus far.

I just went through the same thing with the same scopes, I have a 4-32 NX8 and it’s a great scope for what it is. I need 2 scopes for 2 near identical hunting rifles and ordered a 3.3-18 XTR3 and 3-18 T6Xi to try out. I build my rifles light so I can go a little heavier on glass but a 2.5-20 NX8 would go great on either rifle.

What pushed me toward Burris/Steiner is liberty’s sale tho, if for some reason I don’t like one or the other I’ll easily be able to make money selling them. Even the T6Xi was $300 cheaper than the cheapest 4th sale price I found on an NX8 and they can routinely be had for 1400-1600 used in the PX. I might even put one of the scopes I ordered on an AR10 and still pick up a used 2.5-20. Had it not been for sale prices I don’t know what way I would’ve went but I’m also a bargain shopper that waits for major holiday sales to make most expensive purchases. Buying at msrp I doubt i would’ve spent an additional $500 on the Steiner over the NX8 tho.

4-16 atacr, parallax forgiveness is incredible. Xtr III 3.3-18 seems a couple hundred yards of forgiveness on parallax, depending on distance. Where does the t6xi 3-18 land here?

Low light performance isn't that good on the atacr, it gets dark quick and it seems like it tightens they eyebox(expected). The xtr isn't bad, but they both get a good amount of glare in the sunset. How does the t6xi perform there?

Thanks for your time.

Eta
Thanks for your review on the xtr III and your in depth on diopter adjustments, both have been a major help.
Roger that, I need to get out to the range and will try to plan for that next week and put this on the list.

2.5-15 imo for that build as long as you are ok with the reticle choices. I have two 2.5-15’s with SCR and a 3-18 with msr2. All on AR’s.

Man I'll be honest, I've hunter with non locking turrets for a long time, I can only recall on instance it moved when it wasn't supposed to. The pop up/down locks are much more easy to operate than the steiner lock. They went a whole different direction than most other manufacturers.

Honestly, I leave the Windage locked and elevation unlocked. Turret feel is so subjective, but I really like these. They are a lot like Trijicon’s as in they are almost a resistant mushy feel but very positive. They are not easy to turn, but not hard. Hard to explain much better, but it’s not a turret you have to worry about moving easy unlocked. I used my AR 223 on many hunts last year so it’s had field use.

Has anyone abused their t6xi a little, and checked zero retention/tracking?
I'm not talking dropping it on a rock or anything dumb like that but it'd be nice to know if they're NF reliable...

I can’t say it’s NF reliable as I think that takes a lot of time and use to say with honesty. But I ordered one of the first pre order t6xi’s back in October I put on a 223 AR I’ve ran pretty consistently out to 790 yards and it still returns to zero and tracked true. It’s been a very solid optic so far, that I hope stays that way because I’ve bought two more since. I just haven’t used them much yet on those rifles.

Can anyone advise how the 1-6 is when shooting from v-tac barricades and around cars? From unconventional positions and without perfect alignment, potentially with scope shadow still present? How is the reticle when used in conjunction with a weapon light, complete washout or still visible?

I have a p4xi 1-4 that works well but I’d like a little bit more magnification for ID. I was leaning toward a Delta Stryker 1-6 but I found a good deal on the t6xi. Main use is 0-100 for work and up to 300 for matches.

Can anyone advise how the 1-6 is when shooting from v-tac barricades and around cars? From unconventional positions and without perfect alignment, potentially with scope shadow still present? How is the reticle when used in conjunction with a weapon light, complete washout or still visible?

I have a p4xi 1-4 that works well but I’d like a little bit more magnification for ID. I was leaning toward a Delta Stryker 1-6 but I found a good deal on the t6xi. Main use is 0-100 for work and up to 300 for matches.
Works well, I haven’t done a v-tac specifically, but have had a few awkward positions on the clock in competitions. I’ve had no issue using it. Reticle works well with white light as its a pretty bold reticle.

Its probably not as fast as an SFP design like a Razor Gen 2, but you gain other things going with a FFP. I have a P2 mounted up top and find I use the 1x more than the P2 if that says anything.

Works well, I haven’t done a v-tac specifically, but have had a few awkward positions on the clock in competitions. I’ve had no issue using it. Reticle works well with white light as its a pretty bold reticle.

Its probably not as fast as an SFP design like a Razor Gen 2, but you gain other things going with a FFP. I have a P2 mounted up top and find I use the 1x more than the P2 if that says anything.
For the ranges and objectives I listed would you say the t6xi is a good option or better to just stick with SFP? The t6xi I’m looking at doesn’t cost that much more than the Delta Stryker or Credo HX which I had been eyeing to replace my 1-4.

For the ranges and objectives I listed would you say the t6xi is a good option or better to just stick with SFP? The t6xi I’m looking at doesn’t cost that much more than the Delta Stryker or Credo HX which I had been eyeing to replace my 1-4.
Honestly would look at a SFP. At those ranges, I see an SFP based LPVO as a magnified red dot, or a red dot with high PID abilities. A 556 at 300y doesnt drop too much and you should be able to aim at the headbox and make solid A zone hits.

I personally chose the T6 1-6 due to the reticle, FFP, and the ability to dial. Mainly the ability to dial was huge for me. Granted you can dial well with a PST 1-6, but the T6 is like dialing an actual precision optic.

All that said, if I just needed a magnified optic for <300m on torso sized targets, I’d look hard at a Razor g2 or similar.

Im sure it’s been mentioned here already but is the steiners illumination only green? My 3-18 T6Xi and 3.3-18 XTR3 both showed up today and the burris is green or red but it seems the Steiner is green only which would be odd.

Im sure it’s been mentioned here already but is the steiners illumination only green? My 3-18 T6Xi and 3.3-18 XTR3 both showed up today and the burris is green or red but it seems the Steiner is green only which would be odd.
Yes, Only green.

Reactions: Jnull
How does the glass compare between the T6Xi and the XTR3?
Thanks

I finally got out to the range today with the T6Xi 3-18x56 and my ATACR 4-16x42. The ATACR was a slightly better overall experience but the T6Xi not far behind and ahead in some categories like monstrous FOV compared to ATACR. I owe @zero0zero some feedback and will try to get that written out next few days.

Has anyone abused their t6xi a little, and checked zero retention/tracking?
I'm not talking dropping it on a rock or anything dumb like that but it'd be nice to know if they're NF reliable...
IMG_9964.jpeg

Did this today. The results are promising, but should still be considered preliminary. Full details available over where these evals are prominent.

How does the glass compare between the T6Xi and the XTR3?
Thanks

I’ve only had the Burris outta the box briefly and just mounted the Steiner last night so i don’t have any time behind either. I’m not the best person to answer that tho as my eyes aren’t very sensitive to glass quality, a scope is a scope to me it’s the features that set them apart.

Reactions: Earnhardt
I finally got out to the range today with the T6Xi 3-18x56 and my ATACR 4-16x42. The ATACR was a slightly better overall experience but the T6Xi not far behind and ahead in some categories like monstrous FOV compared to ATACR. I owe @zero0zero some feedback and will try to get that written out next few days.

This is the exact comparison I was most curious about. If I had the funds I'd have gotten the ATACR without thinking too hard.

Is the ATACR worth the $400-700 extra?

I'm looking into the 2.5-15 and 3-18. I cannot decide on which one. Going on 18inch AR 6mm arc. Going to be a dmr build with offset. Will hunt with once or twice a year but just white tail. Most used range 100-800. But would like to stretch legs at 1000+ Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I had my 3-18 out today, shooting steel from 300-1150y. Really liking the MSR2 reticle. Rifle is atop a hnt26, ti3, 24" m24 6gt that weighs about 11.5# had no problems seeing splash on plates out to 800y. With sun near my back, seeing impacts on plate at 1150y at 16X wasn't easy, granted a 107smk at 2600da with a mv of 2950 doesn't have a lot left at that point I time. Had to get my zco 527 out to see the group size. I am really liking this scope for hunting/crossover, but these are heavy units. The scope only downfall at it's price point.

Reactions: Kyle2244
4-16 atacr, parallax forgiveness is incredible.
This is how I define parallax forgiveness - being able to set your scope around 500 yards and have parallax free sight picture at both near and far. I found the Steiner T6Xi to be about as forgiving as the ATACR in these tests with both showing a slight bit of wobble at the closer targets.
Xtr III 3.3-18 seems a couple hundred yards of forgiveness on parallax, depending on distance. Where does the t6xi 3-18 land here?
When both ATACR and T6Xi set around 500ish on parallax, 1000 yards was virtually parallax free and up to 300ish yards was within reason with slight wobble depending on eye position, anything closer was more pronounced wobble based on eye position which could affect accuracy to the point that you would want to adjust your parallax IMO.
The ATACR struggles a bit with flare/halation above 10x whereas the Steiner handles it very well, picking up no noticeable flare, maybe some slight ghosting at 15x depending on eye position with some more pronounced at 18x but not bad by any means, this was done with the sun reflecting directly off the front objective while looking at distant objects. Depending on eye position I could induce whiteout charateristics with the ATACR from 12-16x whereas I could not induce the same with the T6Xi.

Overall the ATACR has the "better" image, hard to quantify but I'd say the T6Xi is not as contrasty which doesn't give it quite the "pop" the ATACR has, it's not terrible and one wouldn't notice if they weren't looking side by side most likely. Where the T6Xi excels is with FOV, at the same magnification the T6Xi was considerably wider than the ATACR, so with both set at 12x for example, you're going to see a lot more with the T6Xi than you would with the ATACR. Eyebox is also very forgiving with the T6Xi, moreso than the ATACR for sure, only at the very top magnification of 18x did I feel like the T6Xi was getting a bit tight. Low light, this is interesting, I expected the 56mm T6Xi to do noticeably better than the 42mm ATACR but that was not the case (to my eyes), yes it was a bit brighter but not as much as I was hoping would be the case. I need to do some further evaluations here to get a better feel for what I'm seeing (or not seeing) and may throw another 56mm scope and a 50mm scope just for comparison.

One last thing to keep in mind (not just for you zer0zero but to the community at large), these observations are for the ATACR 4-16x42 and the T6Xi 3-18x56 only, please do not use my findings for these specific scopes to make judgments about other ATACR or T6Xi scopes as each has it's own unique optical formula which can affect any of the findings here in either a negative or positive manner.
Thanks for your time.

Eta
(y)

This is the exact comparison I was most curious about. If I had the funds I'd have gotten the ATACR without thinking too hard.

Is the ATACR worth the $400-700 extra?
If you want pure mechanical/optical performance I'd say the ATACR 4-16x42 has an edge and may be worth it, but there are other attributes to the T6Xi that may sway you in that direction (see post above). In the end, each person must make the decision on whether or not one scope is "worth" more than another, there is no right answer either way. I do not think you would be disappointed with either scope understanding their limitations. If you want a streamlined scope with a tried and true track record of being rock solid the ATACR may be the way to go, if you want the latest and greatest in optical design with a large objective and wide FOV then I can see choosing the T6Xi.

The 2.5-15 doesn’t have the weight savings to justify its existence, IMO. The 3-18 sits in a good spot.
I'm with you OE, the 2.5-15 is a somewhat baffling decision considering it's weight. It is only 2oz lighter than the beefy 3-18x56. I kind of wish it was a 2-12x42 instead of 2.5-15x50, but it's not and doubtful Steiner will go that route anytime soon (maybe Burris will).

I'm looking into the 2.5-15 and 3-18. I cannot decide on which one. Going on 18inch AR 6mm arc. Going to be a dmr build with offset. Will hunt with once or twice a year but just white tail. Most used range 100-800. But would like to stretch legs at 1000+ Any suggestions?
For my small frame AR's (like the 6 ARC) I prefer smaller/lighter scopes, but that is personal preference. I also prefer tree reticles (as backup to dialing) so that might make a difference for you as the 2.5-15 is only available with SCR reticle (no tree) while the 3-18x56 is available with SCR2 reticle (tree). There is nothing wrong with putting a larger scope on any rifle, it's all about personal preference so if you feel you would benefit from the 56mm and/or tree reticle then go for the 3-18x56, if neither of those things matter or you prefer the smaller objective then the 2.5-15x50 would be a fine choice I'm sure.

Here's my 18" 6mm ARC with the March 1.5-15x42 on it
IMG_7647.jpeg

Reactions: Kyle2244