• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Movie Theater Steven Segal: Lawman - Now Airing on A&E

Re: Steven Segal: Lawman - Now Airing on A&E

wasnt too bad...mainly centered around the lawmen in his town in Lousiana....seems like another "Cops" show wpth a prospective from Seagal....

Steven Seagal Lawman - His movies have grossed more than $2 billion worldwide. He is an expert martial artist with a 7th-degree black belt in Aikido. He's considered to be in the same class of action hero as Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger. However, Steven Seagal isn't just an action hero in the movies. For almost 20 years, Seagal has been working as a fully commissioned deputy with the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office in Louisiana. In addition to going out on patrol, Seagal is an expert marksman who has worked with their SWAT team and has instructed Jefferson Parish officers in firearms and hand-to-hand combat.

Steven Seagal Lawman will allow fans to ride shotgun with Seagal as he and his hand-selected elite team of deputies respond to crimes in progress. Then, when Seagal goes off duty, the cameras will continue following him as he pursues his many ventures, including musical performances and philanthropic efforts in Jefferson Parish and New Orleans.

Version of COPS but he road along with the same deputies, two cruisers and him in a marked Explorer. Not sure of his rank but had two stars and is a reserve officer rank. Not sure if the range time was edited but if not, he can shoot. Not sure who the officer he was training was but he could not shoot. His Aikido skill has few peers even in Japan where he is the only American to own his own dojo.

He did put bracelets on one guy and read rights so if this is up and up, he has to be a sworn officer.

I liked the guy, that is Steven Seagal arresting me, can I get your autograph. Then the civilian lady in the yard where did Seagal go, I want to shake his hand.

He has ego but so far did not come out on this show.

I want to dislike Steven Seagal, but honestly I just can't. Hahahaha.

I mean, as far as action stars go I think he's actually a pretty accomplished dude. Seems down to Earth. His band is awful and he don't care.

My wife and I were laughing pretty hard when we saw this commercial for this show though.

Make no mistake, Jefferson Parish is almost 2000 deputies strong. They are a very large, competent Dept. Segal has been a reserve for many years. Our prior Sheriff Harry Lee and Segal were good friends.

Haven't seen the show yet but JPSO is big time for real. Our dept in the surrounding area is about 25% of their size. MDShooter here works and trains quite extensively with JPSO also. He can probably shed more light as to the inner circles of the program.

I can't seem to figure out his rank. I thought he was a reserve? They call him "Chief" on the show. On one episode, they refer to him as "Deputy Chief". He has a couple of stars on his lapel. He rides shotgun with a Colonel, but Segal always seems to be in charge and telling him what to do?

ok.. was it me.. or wasnt he married to kelly lebrock.. (chick from weird science)... and didnt he whoop up on her ass..?? causing them to get divorced..?
im too lazy to look up the details..
but if it is true.. not saying it is for seagal here.. but if you have a domestic you cant carry or own a firearm..? let alone become law enforcement..
now do you have to be convicted, or is it the same with the cops just showing up and you are going all zen master on the mrs and bouncing her off the walls, but she drops the charges..?

Treated his first wife in Japan like shit and basically abandoned here, AFAIK.

Then I think he banged the nanny and screwed over Kelly "drop and give me twenty" LeBrock.

What an arse.

He also got pretty fat, IMO.

And I think he's knock-kneed.

On the other hand, in his first movie he had one of the all-time great action movie lines. When he's got the drop on the bad guys one of them says "you can't get us all tough guy" and Seagal shoots him in the head and quips "you're right, but I'll get an 'A' for effort."

Sweet.

Plus, a good friend of mine was deep into Aikido for years and actually saw Seagal at a training conference or two and says he is 100% the real deal.

His too-full-of-himself persona in the moved is pretty cheesy and hard to stand.

It would be nice if he would shed some pounds and get a good script and big budget and kick the shit out of peacenicks and hippies in a new movie.

One of my aikido instructors trained with him in Japan years ago, and noted that he could tell Seagal's timing was off from watching him in the movies.

And he has gotten fat. I'm not a warrior, but I know some, and one thing they don't do is get fat.

He also has a reputation as an unreliable flake with people who have done business with him.

Well, we are all imperfect. The imperfections of public figures, though, are more glaringly obvious, c.f. Tiger Woods.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Highground</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't seem to figure out his rank. I thought he was a reserve? They call him "Chief" on the show. On one episode, they refer to him as "Deputy Chief". He has a couple of stars on his lapel. He rides shotgun with a Colonel, but Segal always seems to be in charge and telling him what to do? </div></div>

I'd call him chief too....
Chief Petty Officer Casey Ryback!

I want to dislike Seagal - But...I can't.

Anyone that goes to Japan with that kind of devotion, he IS the real deal in Aikido.

What he does beyond that, have heard he's a jerk in public, because he doesn't like crowds....(Or fans?)...

But regardless of his personal life, he's not the greatest actor, and he always surrounds himself with BETTER actors, perhaps to hide his acting.

But he is the real Zen deal, he believes what he says and you cannot fault a guy who says what he means and means what he says.

And the fact that he has to hide to go to Thaiwan and other places to help kids out - because the media would extort those kids to get at him.

He's got a HUGE generous heart for kids.

I honestly would be honored to train with him and learn from him.
And I do own most of his movies - they are all produced by a guy and released to DVD, not the theatres.

And, apparantly he owed his agent money, the agent went to the mafia to get it...Steven won against the Mafia and refused to talk about it - he's smart...

If I were to get pulled over and saw it was Segal I would run. I've seen what happens next and I don't know if I could beat him at that. But a foot race?.....Definitely

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I were to get pulled over and saw it was Segal I would run. I've seen what happens next and I don't know if I could beat him at that. But a foot race?.....Definitely </div></div>

I'm not in a great mood today, but that got me laughing. Thank you.

I thought it was good TV.

I don't know shit about Aikido, but I noticed he wasn't using any fancy stuff on the street, only in the gym with the other officers.

I heard a rumor that he got lippy with "Judo" Gene Lebell (es-pro wrestler, Judoka, and stuntman) and and Lebell slapped him across the face spinning him around and then choked him unconscious and Seagal crapped himself.

Here are some of the other stories of how it actually went down...

Seagal was extremely rough on the stunt men during the filming of the movie, and Gene paid him a visit to let him know his thought on this (Gene is a rough character). Judo Gene ended up choking Seagal out. Seagal let one fly while he was out.

Another is that people on the set started bugging Seagal that Gene would beat him a real fight. Seagal fluffed off Gene's skills and Gene offered to show him. Gene put on a choke on Seagal, and Seagal was choked out. Not all that bad, but when he went out he let off a load. Apparently it started off just Gene showing Seagal a choke and Seagal was going to show the people on the set how he would get out of it, but Seagal went for Gene's eyes and the rest is history.

I guess afterward SS's managers got involved and they placed a "gag order" on Lebell prohibiting him from speaking about it but I guess they didn't think about the other that witnessed it. Seagal has never said anything about the event.

Maybe he thought if he ignored it it would go away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hannibal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got an old friend that knew him from old days- before his movies went bad. Said his akaido was fine but he is messed up in the head- guess he is really into that reincarnation stuff- thinks he is a reborn someone important. Dali Lama stuff- Budism? Pretty hard core into animal rights and conservation too.

Why is it that when people think they are reincarnated they are never anyone average- always someone famous- previous king or some strange shit.

Han </div></div>

Aikido is generally associated with Zen Buddhism, which I believe is what Steven Segal identifies with.

Zen Buddhism particularly does not make habit of imagining what happens after death. The entire point is to focus on what's in front of you. Watching this show he seems to be on that page.

Reincarnation is used metaphorically to describe the relationship between days and even moments being born every moment and dying. Every day is a new chance at life etc.

It doesn't mean that when you die you're going to come back as a snapping turtle or a crawdad or king of the faeries.

Hindus, and some more closely related versions of Buddhism to Hinduism on the other hand believe in Reincarnation.

However, those beliefs were the popular system in place where Siddhartha was born and that's why the two are associated.

Kind of like Judaism and the bible I guess. It would be like a lot of christians today taking the old testament as metaphorical as opposed to someone like Fred Phelps.

Thus ends your education on reincarnation hahahaha.

Just thought I'd clarify all that.

Also, I have a book by Kanshu Sunadomari one of Morehei Ueshiba's direct students which seems to suggest pretty strongly that both himself and Morehei Ueshiba were actually Christians. It's just that in Japanese culture, being a zen buddhist and a christian don't necessarily conflict with eachother like they do in western culture
laugh.gif

Does this count as a religious post?

He needs a total gym knockoff to peddle. Or to retire in a indian reservation and fight the oppression of the white man and industry.

Back in the day about 20 years ago me and a couple of my fellow operators got the chance to go to a "hand to hand" class in Los Angeles. There was this old oriental guy who was about 5ft tall and 125lbs........he had to be 70 yrs old and he was mopping the floor with guys who could have been his grandkids except they all weighed 100lbs more. Then this tall skinny white dude was there to "help out" He was like 6'5" maybe 190lbs......no muscle at all and very unathletic. Turns out a couple years later the I'm watching the guy n Above the Law. Steven Segal....this guy was like an old granny car with 800HP under the hood. This guy couldn't run at all..........I don't know if he could do 25 pushups or not.......but when it came time to do his demo the guy was lightening fast and smooth as butter. YOu see alot of demos where a guy looks great doing some whip ass routine that is more like pro wrestling with his students......but this guy took special forces guys and did some incredible demo's and he was very polite. I'm 6'3" and at the time was a lean 260lbs and benched over 400lbs and I am a little ashamed to say that I would have had to shoot the guy or jump him with a baseball bat to have a chance.

He is on one hand a humble do gooder who really helps out alot kids and underprivledged and on the other hand he is pretty full of himself from what I hear. Real contradiction in this guy.... he is the Deputy Chief of that Department although only a reserve officer. I did hear that he has been married a 3-4 times and did put hands on a couple spouses??? ALthough I have no real confirmation of that fact. But he is not a hollywood action hero in the sense that he is a CGI miracle..........this guy can/could really really fight at a truely worldclass level.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He needs a total gym knockoff to peddle. Or to retire in a indian reservation and fight the oppression of the white man and industry. </div></div>

Speeking of the total gym, there is no need to bring Chuck Norris into this conversation. He is on a completely different playing field then Steven Segal (chuck was delta force and a texas ranger, while steven at best was a navy SEAL). An indian reservation movie might be cool....raised eyebrow...! As for the latest TV show with Segal, I haven't seen it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Derek Myers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Back in the day about 20 years ago me and a couple of my fellow operators got the chance to go to a "hand to hand" class in Los Angeles. There was this old oriental guy who was about 5ft tall and 125lbs........he had to be 70 yrs old and he was mopping the floor with guys who could have been his grandkids except they all weighed 100lbs more. Then this tall skinny white dude was there to "help out" He was like 6'5" maybe 190lbs......no muscle at all and very unathletic. Turns out a couple years later the I'm watching the guy n Above the Law. Steven Segal....this guy was like an old granny car with 800HP under the hood. This guy couldn't run at all..........I don't know if he could do 25 pushups or not.......but when it came time to do his demo the guy was lightening fast and smooth as butter. YOu see alot of demos where a guy looks great doing some whip ass routine that is more like pro wrestling with his students......but this guy took special forces guys and did some incredible demo's and he was very polite. I'm 6'3" and at the time was a lean 260lbs and benched over 400lbs and I am a little ashamed to say that I would have had to shoot the guy or jump him with a baseball bat to have a chance.

He is on one hand a humble do gooder who really helps out alot kids and underprivledged and on the other hand he is pretty full of himself from what I hear. Real contradiction in this guy.... he is the Deputy Chief of that Department although only a reserve officer. I did hear that he has been married a 3-4 times and did put hands on a couple spouses??? ALthough I have no real confirmation of that fact. But he is not a hollywood action hero in the sense that he is a CGI miracle..........this guy can/could really really fight at a truely worldclass level. </div></div>

Thanks for the honest assessment from first-hand observation. My buddy, who I consider a hard dude, said Seagal was real, whatever fault one finds with his personality, etc.

From all accounts I've heard he was definitely the "real deal" when it came to Aikido, although the stuff he did on screen was more Aiki-jujitsu.

Doesn't change the fact that he got choke the f... out for running his mouth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why are you mad at the Indians? Don't they have enough problems?
</div></div>
I don't think Boomie was disparaging Indians, it was more of a comment about the story lines in Segal's movies - who the good guys and bad guys are.

The Calumet is extended to all mandkind. Holly spoke-models have been lacking. And in movie genre, who else?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why are you mad at the Indians? Don't they have enough problems?
</div></div>
I don't think Boomie was disparaging Indians, it was more of a comment about the story lines in Segal's movies - who the good guys and bad guys are. </div></div>
you got it.

I knew that, Lindy. I was just making fun of you making fun of Boomie.

Another true life incident I guess you could call it was one of the buddies I went to the above mentioned seminar with a few years later was at another seminar/demo just keeping tuned up between jobs and furthering the education in hand to hand and so forth.

My buddy was nursing an injury at the time so he was in the bleachers watching....in walks SS and he has a couple bodyguards with him.........and yeah in those days he still had the funky hair anyway he watches for about a minute and starts talking loud enough for my friend to hear that the martial arts going on in there are "shit" and the whole concept and training methods are nothing but garbage etc etc.

Suddenly without warning one of his bodyguards who was standing at his side hammers his midsection with vicious bodyshot....drops SS flat ou.t on the ground he was down for over a minute maybe even 2. The bodyguard bends over him and states firmly that the guys training who SS is making fun of was the guy who trained him from age 8 and he considered to be like a father to him. The bodyguard just blew out of the gym and left.........SS was really injured by the deal and needed to be helped out of the place

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hannibal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Couragewolf

Not sure if this is what you be preaching but...

Wikipedia mentions a Tibetan Lama recognizing that Seagal is the reincarnate of a 17th century Tulka Chundrag Dorjie- whatever the fuck that is. Does this mean Seagal really thinks he was some dude from 400 years ago??? Sounds pretty whacked to me.

Han </div></div>

lol I dunno I can't account for Tibetan Buddhism it's a complex set of beliefs that is closely aligned with Hinduism and has a variety of beliefs I'm totally unfamiliar with. I've got the Tibetan book of the dead on my shelf but little time to read it.

They can recognize pretty much anyone as a reincarnated whatever though.

For instance, the current Llama that will replace the dude with the glasses is this 17 year old kid that's reknowned for his skills at Call of duty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Arrivng unannounced at the dojo of doshu Kisshomaru Ueshiba, SS started being disrespectful to the point where Ueshiba took him aside and ask him leave the building. Within the world of aikido he is refered to as migurushii yogore which translates roughly to "ugly stain."

He remains to this day my sons favorite 1.5 hours of laughter.

or less...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7tbsds9aew&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZaWd0tkhc8

</div></div>

Haha best story to come out of this thread.

Does any of this matter that much? I think his movies and the show are entertaining. That's why I watch TV! I don't plan to go camping with him or have him babysit my kids (although they could use one of his ass whoopings from time to time) so I don't get wrapped up in the rest. I'm sure that most of the actors, singers, and bands that I like are total tools. I can't just watch stuff that the good guys make. How many times can I watch a Gary Sinise or Chuck Norris movie?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Highground</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't seem to figure out his rank. I thought he was a reserve? They call him "Chief" on the show. On one episode, they refer to him as "Deputy Chief". He has a couple of stars on his lapel. He rides shotgun with a Colonel, but Segal always seems to be in charge and telling him what to do? </div></div>

He is a Deputy Chief, but holds a reserve commission. At the time of former Sheriff Lee's death, there were 20+ Deputy Chiefs at JPSO. The Colonel he rides with is John Fortunato. He is the PIO and spokesman for the SO. The fact that Col. Fortunato is driving Seagal around makes the reality of this series humorous. I couldn't make it more than 10 minutes into the first episode. Cringe-worthy TV at it's best.

now that answers alot............20 Deputy Chiefs. At most departments out west here even in a Major City there is a Chief and A Deputy Chief........but it sounds like Deputy Chief is like being a Captain or something......I was also confused about the Col. ranking as its not a normal position associated with LE. But having the departments spokesman drive around with SS tells alot. Plus "his team" as he calls them is the Col., a Captain and a Sgt. plus the Dept Chief who is a reserve. Kinda a weird mixed bag for a late night shift "team".....I don't imagine that too many Deputy Chiefs, Captains and Col's normaly do graveyard patrols........with those promotions normally comes alot of desk duty and supervisory roles verses door kicking.

Does anyone know.......did SS have to go through the local police acadamy and live in the dorms and do the 8-12 weeks which is usually the norm? Or did his friend the former chief just hand him a badge?

And because of religious beliefs did SS put his hand on the bible while taking his oath???

I thought they might be calling him "chief" the way guys say "hey" -- "champ", "dude", "buddy", "guy", "peckerhead", or whatever.
smirk.gif

I would have thought he would be in better shape. It is hard to believe billy bad ass when his gut his hanging over.

Look at Chuck Norris and his age. He is better shape than most people out there. I do think Chuck is still the man Vs Seagul.

Shit, Chuck Norris could swing at Seagal next month, and the punch would hit him today! [Que Chuck Norris legends...]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Highground</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't seem to figure out his rank. I thought he was a reserve? They call him "Chief" on the show. On one episode, they refer to him as "Deputy Chief". He has a couple of stars on his lapel. He rides shotgun with a Colonel, but Segal always seems to be in charge and telling him what to do? </div></div>

He is a Deputy Chief, but holds a reserve commission. At the time of former Sheriff Lee's death, there were 20+ Deputy Chiefs at JPSO. The Colonel he rides with is John Fortunato. He is the PIO and spokesman for the SO. The fact that Col. Fortunato is driving Seagal around makes the reality of this series humorous. I couldn't make it more than 10 minutes into the first episode. Cringe-worthy TV at it's best.

</div></div>

Come on, did you think there would be a cameraman around without Fortunato mugging it up. If the public actually knew what the guys in the Segal's new series did in JP they would have a good laugh. Harry lee's old driver, the head of PIO, it is funny as hell. We have a drinking game down here, everytime Segal says Zen, you drink.

Though not a fan of the genre (assuming there's a genre), I have liked a lot of SS's movies. I agree with Highground. When I pay to see a movie, it's the movie I come for, not any backstory or superfluous personal offscreen tidbits. I liked the <span style="font-style: italic">Hard to Kill</span> and <span style="font-style: italic">The Foreigner</span> flicks especially.

Others less so, they appeared to be made somewhat to a formula, and his recent bulk does seem to detract. But I've never felt any need to walk out of or turn off any of his movies once they got underway.

Not everyone who makes movies is a John Wayne, James Stewart, or Tom Selleck; but despite their shortcomings, a lot of the folks who get panned here plenty still manage to make some pretty enjoyable flicks.

This forum is supposedly about movies, not the character, etc., of the participants.

Let's stay on topic, 'K?

Greg

Entertainment? Geez - is that all?

I'm so disappointed. I though if I watched all of Seagal's flicks, I'd get a dan-rank certificate in aikido to go with the sniper MOS I got from watching <span style="font-style: italic">Shooter</span>.

Oh, well.
laugh.gif

Greg, I often have trouble enjoying a movie when I know too much about the star. For example, I can't watch a Sean Penn movie any more because I get distracted by knowing he is an America hating hippie. And despite loving the Bond movies, I can't watch the new ones because I know Daniel Craig states he hates martinis and believes guns are never the answer to any problems. Plus he gets hurt over and over making his movies so I have the impression he's a pussy. And the final straw is that he didn't know how to drive a stick shift -- what is he really a teenage girl? When this stuff is reported in ruins it for me. So I can't go see a movie about a guy who helps battered women when I hear in real life he beats his wife, for example. I can only suspend my disbelief so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there were 20+ Deputy Chiefs at JPSO. </div></div>

Sounds like too many chiefs and not enough...Boom, wanna finish that one for me?