• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steyr SSG 69 10 round magazines

WaywardSon

Pinche Wedo
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2020
38.74486351925441, -104.861131684905
Greetings. Looking for info from current / former SSG 69 shooters on the reliability of the Steyr 10 round .308 mags. From what I understand, Steyr has produced at least two versions of the 10 round mag. The "Gen 1" mags has a clear, see through backing on them just like the standard 5 round mags, while the "Gen 2" mags are 100% opaque without the window.
I am looking to acquire a 10 round SSG mag, but don't want to burn the dough if they are junk / unreliable.
Thanks in advance for your input.
Cheers!

The gen 1 is junk. (I never tried Gen2)
I tried to use them back in the 80'ies with Raufoss 146gr NATO ball and 186gr RANO fmj match.
Will not feed in cold/freezing weather.
Bullet tips would make dents inside/front in the magwell due to recoil. The dents, after a while, grew so large that bullet tips would stick in them and nosedive. Fixed this problem by fitting metal recoil plate facing the bullet tips inside the mag. Would still not feed in cold/freezing weather.

Well Steyr sent me a clear back Gen 1 mag despite being told I was being sent a new production Gen 2. Now I have to call them again and send this this back. And they charged my card $40 more than the quote on the phone as they processed the order. Needless headache.............

20200917_160327.jpg
20200917_160412.jpg

Try giving Herbert at Steyr a call, 1 (205) 417-8634. He’s always helped me get squared away.
Well Steyr sent me a clear back Gen 1 mag despite being told I was being sent a new production Gen 2. Now I have to call them again and send this this back. And they charged my card $40 more than the quote on the phone as they processed the order. Needless headache.............

View attachment 7426290View attachment 7426291

Try giving Herbert at Steyr a call, 1 (205) 417-8634. He’s always helped me get squared away.

I was in direct comms with the guy that runs the parts department. He told me all the 10 round SSG 69 magazines that had recently arrived from Steyr Austria were of the clear back Gen 1 version.

Forum member 73MCRD hooked me up with a new in box Gen 2, so my search is over for now.

I will say that the folks at Steyr USA were awesome and very accommodating despite not having what I wanted. True Southern Hospitality and friendliness comes out of Bessemer, Alabama. Roll Tide!

What a weird friggin magazine. My 3000 mags are plane old stright

Yes. Things have changed quite a bit since the SSG 69 was designed and fielded in 1969.

The standard SSG 69 flush fit 5 round magazine works on a rotary feed system, much like the Ruger 10/22 rotary magazines. The 10 round box mag does away with the rotary mechanism, but the form factor is needed to mate the box mag into the SSG's mag well. It does, in fact, make for an ungainly looking (and expensive) magazine. "Bottom Metal" kits that use ACIS pattern magazines are available for the SSG 69, but costs are very high.

That along with the aluminum trigger group would make the SSG the rifle it should have been all along.
I sold mine a long time ago just because of these liabilities.
I agree. That would have been the best option. I am trying to get by with the handicap I have been dealt, being the OEM mag well and four working OEM Steyr SSG 69 mags. For my recreational shooting, I care for nothing more at this time.

I am pleased so far with the fit and finish of the "Gen 2" 10 round mag. It does not have that "fragile" feel the 5 round rotary and 10 round "Gen 1" clear back mags have. In conversation with Steyr USA, the "Gen 2" was produced by an outside company in the EU. That company no longer produces these magazines for Steyr. With that being said, I am satisfied to have what I do. The SSG 69 trek continues.....

20200927_135557.jpeg