• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stock for Tikka CTR

Never had an issues with AI mags. Ctr mags are spendy...magpul aics mags. Modify and your good to go. My old mcmillian a3a5 used ctr bm and I hated it. Mag would always pop out if packing

Tikka T3x Varmint (same action as CTR) in MDT LSS-XL Gen-2 with MDT Skeleton Rifle buttstock and MDT magazine. Scope is a Vortex Viper PST 5-25.View attachment 6958814
Looks great, I've really be on the fence between a TAC A1 or a CTR in this exact same set up. How do you like the MDT LSS-XL Gen 2? Also never considered a Varmint model. Besides the threaded barrel are there any differences? Looks like the barrel profile is a little heavier? How does it shoot?

Looks great, I've really be on the fence between a TAC A1 or a CTR in this exact same set up. How do you like the MDT LSS-XL Gen 2? Also never considered a Varmint model. Besides the threaded barrel are there any differences? Looks like the barrel profile is a little heavier? How does it shoot?
The Tikka 223 Varmint I had was an absolute hammer. It would outshoot my CTR, which is also a tack driver in its own right.

The Tikka 223 Varmint I had was an absolute hammer. It would outshoot my CTR, which is also a tack driver in its own right.

I had a Tikka 223 Varmint and sold it to someone here. Very accurate. Problem was you couldn't slide one round in at a time or at least it was a bit difficult. I also had a problem with the magazine not taking more than two or three rounds at a time and it wasn't long enough for my reloads as well. But it was indeed very accurate and easy to clean.

If a TAC A1 had been available in .223, I would have bought it. But it wasn't (nor is the CTR available in .223). I wanted the longer, heavy barrel for better velocity, also a 1:8 twist was a requirement.

The rifle shoots well. With Defender Ammunition's 69-grain SMK match ammo, 1/2"@100-yard groups are quite consistent. My experience with heavier loads is limited; Defender is veteran-owned and not too far from me and the price on a 1000-round case was good so that's what I've used almost exclusively. Interestingly, the Hornady Steel Match 75-grain HPBT that shot really well in my DMR-config AR doesn't work for beans in the Tikka. I've tried a handful (literally) of other factory and handloaded rounds and none have done any better than Defender 69 SMK. Bulk 55-grain ammo is predictably inconsistent.

I like the MDT LSS-XL Gen-2 stock just fine with one minor quibble: the grip pushes my hand/trigger finger down maybe 1/4-3/8" further than I'd like. The excellent customer support at MDT tells me their ESS chassis system would have given me that.

One other thing: The Varmint comes with the plastic stock and 5-round plastic magazine. My copy sat in its box unfired until the chassis and MDT 10-round magazines arrived. I'm sure the stock and magazine combo is adequate - probably better - for hunting, but I wanted the rifle as a PRS-style match trainer so the factory stock and magazone will never be used by me.

Last edited:
I like the MDT LSS-XL Gen-2 stock as well but it is simply too light. One of the things I'm trying to overcome with a new stock or chassis is that the rifle is too light and unless you are holding on to it when in the prone, it will jump off target.

Last edited:
If a TAC A1 had been available in .223, I would have bought it. But it wasn't (nor is the CTR available in .223). I wanted the longer, heavy barrel for better velocity, also a 1:8 twist was a requirement.

The rifle shoots well. With Defender Ammunition's 69-grain SMK match ammo, 1/2"@100-yard groups are quite consistent. My experience with heavier loads is limited; Defender is veteran-owned and not too far from me and the price on a 1000-round case was good so that's what I've used almost exclusively. Interestingly, the Hornady Steel Match 75-grain HPBT that shot really well in my DMR-config AR doesn't work for beans in the Tikka. I've tried a handful (literally) of other factory and handloaded rounds and none have done any better than Defender 69 SMK. Bulk 55-grain ammo is predictably inconsistent.

I like the MDT LSS-XL Gen-2 stock just fine with one minor quibble: the grip pushes my hand/trigger finger down maybe 1/4-3/8" further than I'd like. The excellent customer support at MDT tells me their ESS chassis system would have given me that.

One other thing: The Varmint comes with the plastic stock and 5-round plastic magazine. My copy sat in its box unfired until the chassis and MDT 10-round magazines arrived. I'm sure the stock and magazine combo is adequate - probably better - for hunting, but I wanted the rifle as a PRS-style match trainer so the factory stock and magazone will never be used by me.
I guess I should have mentioned that I am looking for a 6.5 Creedmoor. Spoke with a gentleman at Beretta today regarding the differences between the CTR and Varmint. He said that both have the same barrel profiles. Although, he did not seem very knowledgeable about the Tikkas. He mentioned that Beretta does not import the Varmint model in 6.5 Creedmoor which is odd because I've seen them for sale.

I've owned both. Definitely not the same barrel profile.

I had no idea they even made a Varmint in 6.5 CM. That's awesome.

Reactions: MarinePMI
I guess I should have mentioned that I am looking for a 6.5 Creedmoor. Spoke with a gentleman at Beretta today regarding the differences between the CTR and Varmint. He said that both have the same barrel profiles. Although, he did not seem very knowledgeable about the Tikkas. He mentioned that Beretta does not import the Varmint model in 6.5 Creedmoor which is odd because I've seen them for sale.

Eurooptics currently has the 6.5 CM Varmint in stock.

The Varmint barrels aren't threaded right?

They can easily be threaded for not a lot (as mentioned). I had my .223 threaded and couldn't be happier (especially now, since I can use a can or brake on it). The rifle is an absolute hammer on prairie dogs...

Tikka 223 supressed.jpg

Reactions: patriot07
And here is a rebarreled CTR (PVA pre-fit 6.5 CM, it was formerly a .260) in a Bravo chassis with an Arca rail and adjustable butt plate.
801C7DAF-E1D0-4E5F-8D50-E49525721347.jpeg

Gotta love a chassis system that has enough space between the forearm and what is obviously a monster class barrel for you to clad it in camo wrap and still (I assume) have it free floated!

-Stooxie

Yep. The barrel is in the white, so I just wrapped it for now.

Not sure, it was whatever the Marine PX had on the shelf.

Edit: Now that I'm at a full desktop system (not cell phone) and can easily search the web, I can confirm that it is McNett tactical wrap.

Last edited:
Reactions: patriot07
Pardon my ignorance... what's the purpose of the camo wrap on the barrel? Just for looks? Cut down on mirage? Something else?

On the .223 it was to cut down on the mirage (I noticed just laying out in the sun, that the black barrel was creating a mirage without even shooting it, regardless of whether I was using a can or not). Hence the lighter color wrap.

With the CTR, it was done because the barrel is in the white (raw steel), and I hadn't decided whether to have it cerracoted, duracoat it myself (which I'm set up for) or to just leave it be, since the barrel will probably just get shot out and make painting it a moot point (basically...I'm being lazy).

I hear ya on the coating. I see all the cool colors and fluting and finishes... and then when I start adding it all up, I think 'WTF would I spend another $125 for the coating and another $125 for the fluting for a barrel that's going to last a year, maybe two?' Now on a .308 Win or .223 Rem thats going to be around for a while... maybe ;)

I got the CTR in 6.5. I like the magazine, I put a brake on it, and I think the barrel size is the perfect combination of being able to handle 8-10 shots and not taking forever to cool back off.

I haven't, but recall the mod being pretty straight forward. Something to the effect of just milling the mag slot to be a square polygon that matches the CTR mag, vice the tapered trapzoidial shape of the AICS. IIRC, it was just opening up the forward end, and got the impression that it was just a straight, parallel set of cuts (which is bone stupid simple on a mill).

I could be way off though, since I just read it as passing information, since everything I have, I converted over to AICS (since just about every precision rifle I have, except an AT, runs those mags).

I think the only other thing was swapping the mag latch for the TRG one, as the AICS mags have a nub that sticks out, vs. an indent in the TRG/CTR. Assuming we read the same posts - I've been on a marathon Tikka T3 / KRG Bravo reading binge the last few days o_O

I'm curious about it for two reasons... like I said, i've had some bad experiences with going from butter-smooth factory mags (Savage 4rd double-stack center feed) to AICS, so I'm a little leery of 'screwing up' a good thing with the factory CTR mags. And I gather the CTR mags allow a longer OAL... but then I started reading about AICS mags minus the binder plates, so that might be a wash :unsure:

I’m pretty well set on a Manners with the CTR inlet because I like the factory mag system also.

I’m pretty well set on a Manners with the CTR inlet because I like the factory mag system also.

Yeah, I like the mags as well. Smoothly operating and 10 round capacity. I had a Gemtech muzzle brake that I will add as since it is just a 20" barrel and hops off target quite a bit, that should also help along with the weight of the heavier stock.

Manners T4A with CTR inlet

View attachment 6957616
How is the accuracy after you dropped it in this stock? Did you have to bed it? My CTR in 6.5 is shooting submoa as it is. I just don't like the length of pull and the cheek piece has lots to be desired. I don't want to drop $700+ dollars for a new stock that makes the accuracy drops. Appreciate if you have any feedback on that.

How is the accuracy after you dropped it in this stock? Did you have to bed it? My CTR in 6.5 is shooting submoa as it is. I just don't like the length of pull and the cheek piece has lots to be desired. I don't want to drop $700+ dollars for a new stock that makes the accuracy drops. Appreciate if you have any feedback on that.

Hi mate, accuracy was around 0.75MOA with factories (168gr sierras and 185gr juggs), I only shot about 30-40 rounds through that barrel so it had barely settled. I can't really report whether it did or didn't require it because the sample size is so small. I didn't have any issues without bedding, however, when the rifle returns to me (it's currently getting a new barrel), I'll assess whether it needs to be bedded or not after shooting it in. If it does, I'll give it a crack myself, I need a summer project.

I have been told that it is recommended that you bed these stocks due to the material being compressed when tightening the action screws to factory torque specs. Happy to be corrected on this though if anyone knows otherwise.

Appreciate your feedback. Please give us an update when you get your rifle back

How is the matter of the non-standard style recoil lug on the CTR addressed in the aftermarket stocks?

Tremor 3, which worked well for shooting prairie dogs and needing quick hold overs.

Tremor 3, which worked well for shooting prairie dogs and needing quick hold overs.

How long did it take you to get used to the Tremor 3 and determine holdovers and so forth? This video by Todd Hodnett on youtube does a pretty good job of explaining wind dots but there seems to be some things he doesn't mention:

Another vote for the Bravo here. In addition to the aforementioned military discount they offer on chassis and parts, they offer a further discount on mags if you purchase them with your chassis-and yes, you can stack it with the military discount.

In the interest of full disclosure my Tikka is a Varmint model, not a CTR, so it had the skinny 3-5 round plastic mags and the factory stock; much of my motivation for going to a chassis was to get better mags that wouldn't hang up when loading more than 2 rounds. I had no vested interest in AICS vs CTR going into it, however AICS mags are cheaper, more available, and can be used in more rifles than CTR mags; I think the main benefit of CTR mags is they're shorter.

If I did have a CTR I'd be more concerned with the chassis I want and if that happens to be an AICS one then sell your CTR mags to fund the AICS's-you can probably have more mags at the end of the day anyway

Attachments

• 20181025_195912[1].jpg
    20181025_195912[1].jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Reactions: WT1
http://cms.german-gun-stock.de/index.php/en/

I run my CTR with factory mags in the German Gun Stock Predator. I use it for PRS matches and hunting. I ran a medium palma barrel with the BugNut for matches and I just put a factory CTR barrel on it for hunting season. It has an aluminum internal bedding block/chassis and an adjustable cheek piece. It is a lot of stock for the money. My son and I have Rangers coming and we are both considering the Raptor model for our match rifles.

Attachments

• 4-16-18 002.JPG
    4-16-18 002.JPG
    516.4 KB · Views: 150
  • 4-27-18 005.JPG
    4-27-18 005.JPG
    520.2 KB · Views: 152
  • 10-6-17 003.JPG
    10-6-17 003.JPG
    550.9 KB · Views: 149
  • S9 Pics 5-21-18 126.jpg
    S9 Pics 5-21-18 126.jpg