• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing stock inlet question

rubicon20032003

Private
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2009
Coal run
Will putting a action that with like a 6 contour in a stock setup for like a 8 contour .Hurt at all.Since theirs a gap on both sides of barrel?

Re: stock inlet question

It depends. If the action bedding is very solid no issue but many glass bed the first one inch of the barrel in front of the receiver to provide additional support.
My Tikka 595s have enough room to throw a cat between the barrel and the stock, no glass, blocks or pillars and they still shoot 1/2 moa.

tikka22250.jpg

Are you only asking about the clearance around the barrel?

If the action itself is bedded correctly, and nothing in front of the recoil lug has been bedded, and the barrel has extra clearance due to having been inletted for a larger contour barrel, it should not be a problem.

What you need to watch for is if a small portion of the stock in front of the recoil lug has been bedded, then you want to make sure the barrel does not contact the bedding and prevent the action from seating properly. This could happen due to small outside diameter differences, even in barrels of the same contour. I (personally) do not bed in front of the recoil lug if I am going to switch barrels on that particular action/stock setup.

I am not a professional, we'll have to let them weigh in.

I'm asking about the clearance around the barrel? Its been beded up to recoil lug and pillar bedded? Should the recoil lug be all the way down into bedding? Or does it need some added to touch stock?

The recoil lug should ONLY touch the bedding at the back, not the sides, not the front, not (most of all) the bottom.

Other than aesthetics, if the forend is stiff there's no problem if it free floats. You could always do a barrel bed later with .040" thickness plumbing tape if it bothers you. Otherwise, consider it free air conditioning on your "gap" rifle.

Ditto on Mr. Humble. Just to be clear, the "back" of the recoil lug is the action side.

Thanks for the clarification. I've done too many and forget it's not as clear as it should be.

Mr. Humble, I didn't mean to clarify your comments, but more to answer a question that someone may be hesitant to ask. I'm sure 99% of us knew, but once upon a time, we (meaning me) may have been afraid to ask questions for fear of appearing ignorant.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The recoil lug should ONLY touch the bedding at the back, not the sides, not the front, not (most of all) the bottom.</div></div> Since when does a person only bed the back of the recoil lug. Did I miss a memo somewhere? Always have bedded everthing, front, bottom, sides, back. Is that why I can only shoot a half MOA or less?

Any instructions I have read are to place tape on the bottom, sides and front of the recoil lug so that after bedding and removing the tape, the lug only mates up to the rear (action) side of the lug. All area around the lug gets bedded, it's just that you create a very thin relief when removing the tape.

Don't you have a hard time getting your action out of the stock?

If you're going to carry it hunting just clean the seeds out of the barrel channel every now and then. They have a nasty habit of getting into places where they really shouldn't be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remaction</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any instructions I have read are to place tape on the bottom, sides and front of the recoil lug so that after bedding and removing the tape, the lug only mates up to the rear (action) side of the lug. All area around the lug gets bedded, it's just that you create a very thin relief when removing the tape.

Don't you have a hard time getting your action out of the stock?</div></div> My gunny told me this is how he has done literally thousands of rifles. Once you take the action out once or twice you just simply take screws loose, open the bolt, pull up on the barrel and the bolt while putting pressure on the stock and she comes right out. Have never had any problem getting out. Have always thought that a tight bed job was better than a loose job. When the cartridge fires can you imagine how much pressure is put on a Remmy recoil lug? I'm sure that if you could see it, it would be flopping back and forth like a plucked guitar string. Thats why I will always bed it tight.

My first bed job I did tight, just like you mention. That's exactly how I have to take my action out of the stock. All my other bed jobs have had the relief at the front bottom and sides. To tell the truth, the tight bed job shoots just fine (on a .257 Roberts).

I'm just taking the word of others who are in the know more than I. Your gunny should know too.

Anyone with experience both ways care to weigh in?